LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 6, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #242 of 2,722
your description fits what I have on my new LCD-2f more than “memory foam”... Now for people to release measurements of the LCD headphones with the new pads!
Since ears are my only measuring rig, I can say that sound with these pads seems to be less peaky throughout upper midrange and treble. Midrange seems slightly more coherent/forward but not shouty. I did compare lower freq. and I felt that there’s little difference between the two. However, these pads seems to be more sensitive to getting a proper seal right. I think older pads were a little more consistent with getting the bass right without fiddling with a proper fit.

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #243 of 2,722
It certainly checks out. I wonder what that accoustic material is on either side of the driver...
Just regular felt with adhesive backing. Nothing magical about it. :wink:

As a side note. That felt helps taming reflections off the driver baffle. Something that Dan Clark should investigate with his A2C/Noire. I’ve done this felt around driver treatment on my pair of A2C. And it seems to help by eliminating a need to overdamping these headphones with unnecessary tuning felt pads (might not be the case with older, non perforated pads). Sorry, a little off topic.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #244 of 2,722
Since ears are my only measuring rig, I can say that sound with these pads seems to be less peaky throughout upper midrange and treble. Midrange seems slightly more coherent/forward but not shouty. I did compare lower freq. and I felt that there’s little difference between the two. However, these pads seems to be more sensitive to getting a proper seal right. I think older pads were a little more consistent with getting the bass right without fiddling with a proper fit.
Ya, in my listening I would basically describe the LCD2f as neutral-warm. They are noticeably warmer than the sundaras (2018 model) I owned before but not excessively muffled. Perhaps upper strings and woodwinds could be more present? But it’s hard to say after coming from the brighter sundaras and before that the ATH M50X which are very peaky in the treble. They sound similar to HD600s with a bit less upper mid energy and more treble and bass extension but this is from auditory memory. I’m curious to see measurements... until then we can really only exist in the “circle of confusion” after all, everything is neutral if we listen to it long enough (ear burn/brain burn)

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #245 of 2,722
Let’s see how Audeze will deal with all their dealers holding old stock. They just killed the second hand market for these and if I was a retailer I would send back all my old stock of Audeze x and xc
If I had to bet:

Most dealers have likely already sold their old stock. When I shopped for my LCD-X back in January none of the Canadian dealers I searched even had LCD-X in stock and most US vendors I searched didn’t have them either. By February I would say any dealers that had stock had the latest version (like Adorama did where I ordered mine from)

If you look at most of the online vendors recently most have updated their sites to reflect the new case the creator edition comes in So those will be the latest version. Furthermore.....I don’t think it’s a stretch to say a lot of buyers won’t care because they’ll be oblivious to the fact there has been a revision. Not everybody is on sites like this seeking out that kind of info.

As for the second hand market......it will be just fine. Folks sell/buy old versions of Audeze with little issue. Some even seek the more vintage ones out due to their personal sound preferences.

Its kinda interesting to see so many folks upset about these recent revisions. Don’t get me wrong, I get it why folks feel that way. At least Audeze did make it public knowledge (albeit months after the implementation) I work in the auto industry for a major manufacturer and I can tell you.....folks have no clue the amount of substantial revisions that take place in the midst of a product run that the car buying public is never made aware of. And truth be told, the vast majority of manufacturers of whatever product you can think of operate this way.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #246 of 2,722
I think most Audeze HP could be characterized as warmish but detailed and punchy. There’s something special about them. Regardless if I would consider them “tuned” appropriately or not.
Also, non leather pads are certainly a lot lighter than leather OG pads.

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #247 of 2,722
If I had to bet:

Most dealers have likely already sold their old stock. When I shopped for my LCD-X back in January none of the Canadian dealers I searched even had LCD-X in stock and most US vendors I searched didn’t have them either. By February I would say any dealers that had stock had the latest version (like Adorama did where I ordered mine from)

If you look at most of the online vendors recently most have updated their sites to reflect the new case the creator edition comes in So those will be the latest version. Furthermore.....I don’t think it’s a stretch to say a lot of buyers won’t care because they’ll be oblivious to the fact there has been a revision. Not everybody is on sites like this seeking out that kind of info.

As for the second hand market......it will be just fine. Folks sell/buy old versions of Audeze with little issue. Some even seek the more vintage ones out due to their personal sound preferences.

Its kinda interesting to see so many folks upset about these recent revisions. Don’t get me wrong, I get it why folks feel that way. At least Audeze did make it public knowledge (albeit months after the implementation) I work in the auto industry for a major manufacturer and I can tell you.....folks have no clue the amount of substantial revisions that take place that the car buying public is never made aware of. And truth be told, the vast majority of manufacturers of whatever product you can think of operate this way.
Similar story here when I shopped for a pair in December. I was told they only had b-stock/open-box in stock and that would be the case for awhile.

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #248 of 2,722
If I had to bet:

Its kinda interesting to see so many folks upset about these recent revisions. Don’t get me wrong, I get it why folks feel that way. At least Audeze did make it public knowledge (albeit months after the implementation) I work in the auto industry for a major manufacturer and I can tell you.....folks have no clue the amount of substantial revisions that take place that the car buying public is never made aware of. And truth be told, the vast majority of manufacturers of whatever product you can think of operate this way.
I don’t really agree with you and there is no excuse for audeze. Their behaviour is of an amateur at least. Regarding all this about cars etc I don’t think is apples to apples. Many might make amendments in a car but the spec remains the same. I haven’t seen a car manufacturer revising the exact same model with let’s say 25 more horse power. Of course they do changes but here we are talking about changes that alternate the product’s specification basically the new X and XC are two different headphones which should have been launched as new products. Many will feel cheated with this kind of attitude. If the model was named LCD-Xs or X2 or whatever there wouldn’t be any issue. The issue is that they behave like a “made in garage“ type of maker and maybe they still are.

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #249 of 2,722
Many might make amendments in a car but the spec remains the same. I haven’t seen a car manufacturer revising the exact same model with let’s say 25 more horse power Of course they do changes but here we are talking about changes that alternate the product’s specification.
Nope.....they make changes that do in fact change the spec. A simple thing like changing the programming of an ECU that controls the transmission that alters the way the vehicle drives compared to the same vehicle they built 6 months prior. ECU changes are also often made that further improve fuel efficiency and/or driveability.
If the model was named LCD-Xs or X2 or whatever there wouldn’t be any issue.

As for making revisions clear by changing the name. Yeah.....that’s a solid option.

But you’re kidding yourself if you think that alone would make it a non issue and folks wouldn’t be bitching. I’d venture a guess even more folks would be pissed if they’d bought an LCD-X/XC in late 2020 and then a newly named revised version came out two months later for the same price.

Ideally what should’ve happened was late in 2020, sell the pre-revision models at a discounted price and then be up front and release the revised version with an easily discernible model name LCD-X v2.2 or whatever it’s up to now.

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #250 of 2,722
Nope.....they make changes that do in fact change the spec. A simple thing like changing the programming of an ECU that controls the transmission that alters the way the vehicle drives compared to the same vehicle they built 6 months prior. ECU changes are also often made that further improve fuel efficiency and/or driveability.

As for making revisions clear by changing the name. Yeah.....that’s a solid option.

But you’re kidding yourself if you think that alone would make it a non issue and folks wouldn’t be bitching. I’d venture a guess even more folks would be pissed if they’d bought an LCD-X/XC in late 2020 and then a newly named revised version came out two months later for the same price.

Ideally what should’ve happened was late in 2020, sell the pre-revision models at a discounted price and then be up front and release the revised version with an easily discernible model name LCD-X v2.2 or whatever it’s up to now.
At least they could plan what to do with their money... what is frustrating for people is spending 1k or 1.5k and then finding out they could have waited like a month or two and got a revised version and that other people did BY CHANCE/LUCK. I think Resolve has a good idea with "model years" if they want to make revisions they should just change it a bit every year (or every two years). People could make the decision then to save up for "next year's model" and they could clear their old models before Christmas (when may people are getting bonuses etc.)

Apr 6, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #251 of 2,722

If the launch was for a new version like a car with a facelift I don’t think anyone would argue with it. I own Audeze headphones namely the MX4 and LCD2 and all I know is that today I canceled my preorder for the LCD-4. If they want to charge big money the should start behaving live a big company. Sony for example. You might not like the Z1R but that’s their work, their sound and their product and they stick to it. You know what you buy and what to expect. A Z1R is simply a Z1R

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #252 of 2,722
Also there is the other perspective. My understanding is that the newer version was out before the announcement from Audeze. That means that I might have bought a different product from the advertised one. What if I was after the older version and at the end I bought a headphone with a different sonic signature? In any case it’s not about right or wrong. Is about professionals vs amateurs when it comes to business

Apr 6, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #253 of 2,722
Also there is the other perspective. My understanding is that the newer version was out before the announcement from Audeze. That means that I might have bought a different product from the advertised one. What if I was after the older version and at the end I bought a headphone with a different sonic signature? In any case it’s not about right or wrong. Is about professionals vs amateurs when it comes to business
Yes, and obviously the company is going to push the positives of any change they make but there may also be negative implications as well. People are concerned that the newer LCD-X at least appears to have -4 magnets from the old model. What this means for technical performance is not clear.

If someone demos a headphone in a shop and wants to make sure they get one just like it they should be able to place an order for a new one and not have to worry about the demo model being drastically different. This is also better for retailers because they can then say with confidence yes, if you place the order you will get what you just heard brand new straight from the manufacturer.

Apr 6, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #255 of 2,722
Can anyone also find out if the leather-free pads have new foam and shape? Haven't seen any confirmation one way or another if for example the LCD-2C is also using a new type of pad.
I had purchased the LCD-2C on December 27th but I have no way of verifying if they were built after this late November revision timeline. It was fitted with the non leather, memory foam pads though. We’ll probably have to wait a bit and see if the change was only implemented on the leather pads but one would think they changed those as well given that the LCD-X/XC are offered with a leather free option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back