LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 5, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #211 of 2,721
It's only inaccurate as compared to the Harman curve, which isn't really accurate in the first place (although sticking to it can produce good perceived results in some headphones). Aside from the dip at 4K and 9K, and the peak at 6K it's an accurate 'phone. The new versions look to have essentially corrected any shortcomings. Fact is, no dynamic or competing planar can match Audeze for accuracy or tone quality from 20Hz -2K.
This is definitely not a fact. But you’re free to subjectively feel or believe that to be true.

Apr 5, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #212 of 2,721
This is definitely not a fact. But you’re free to subjectively feel or believe that to be true.
The LCD line in general has been ruler flat from 20hz-2K (some models to 10hz), with some differences in post 2K dips and peaks which can lend a slightly darker sound (less "air") to certain models. I'm not aware of any competing designs that can boast that.

Apr 5, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #213 of 2,721
I just looking for one all-rounder for now... I listen to a mix of genres and don’t really want to deal with the hassle of finding a good amp for the HD800s. I do listen to a fair amount of classical music... honestly I find for orchestral music that the darker colouration isn’t bad at all and honestly is refreshing.. I find I’m drawn in more to the french horn and lower strings which is pretty cool. It’s mainly on with vocal/solo instrumental music that I mind the lack of presence but either way. I think the LCD-X is probably the best fit for me out of the Audeze range. The LCD-2, even without EQ, makes anything with electric guitars sound so good.. double-kick drums and bass guitar are so articulate as well. I actually find it makes some voices sound better as well particularly with hip-hip you can really hear the “core” of their voice along with any breathiness. I guess because the resonances are subdued. With male/female operatic voices though it sounds a little muffled.
Anyway I think I’ll exchange my LCD-2f unless I hear of a revision or see measurements.
If I had to pick one, I'd pick the LCD-2F. (for myself) For a variety of reasons, but largely because I am confident I could listen to the LCD-2F for several hours and not get fatigued from the higher treble or run over by a treble peak and it basically has as good of detail.

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #214 of 2,721
Why not just change the pads? You wanted lighter weight too?

I'm really glad the pad change was enough for *me* because the new revisions apparently only have 6 magnets instead of the 8 (which means possibly less macrodynamics).
Since Audeze said there was a driver change as well, I'd rather get the whole package along with the new case and keep whichever I preferred and sell the other. I'm surprised by the difference in quotes. I got a $580 quote for my 2020 model, and someone else here has gotten $395 for both the drivers and the earpads on a 2016 model! If I was quoted that, I would've gone with the pad and driver upgrade instead of buying new.

I agree that majority of audiophiles probably don't care about the slightest minute changes in sound signature and freq change and buy Audeze for its reputation and reviews. It's just people like us who linger here and have the undying itch to listen to the next best thing... Or maybe that's just me.

The only people I truly trust are Resolve and DMS, though Resolve gets much much deeper in his analyses. I agree with his preference in sound signature and have bought and EQed many of my past purchases according to his recommendation and it almost always works out for me (Elegia, Arya, Ananda).

Anyways, mine should be here anytime next week. I'll be sure to update this thread with my impressions!

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #215 of 2,721
The only people I truly trust are Resolve and DMS, though Resolve gets much much deeper in his analyses. I agree with his preference in sound signature and have bought and EQed many of my past purchases according to his recommendation and it almost always works out for me (Elegia, Arya, Ananda).
My main issue with Resolve and others is that they compare headphones using memory way too often and too confidently. I think most people here actually A/B compare headphones when they get a new purchase(I do) since they're committed monetarily and are deciding between headphones they're going to keep. Many of these youtubers get so many free demo headphones they get way too lax in using memory to say which headphones have better xyz. When you do that a lot of subconscious biases or influences come in to play.

Apr 5, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #216 of 2,721
Anyone know if the dimensions of the pads changed with the revision? Curious about ear opening size and front to back depth.

Apr 5, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #218 of 2,721
just got off the phone with audeze and they confirmed all there headphones have the new pads now and they said one of the reasons for it is to improve the frequency response

sorry if this is old news
That’s super helpful to know

Apr 5, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #219 of 2,721
I'm interested to see the construction of the new pads. I thought by My LCD-X 2020 sounded good with the stock pads but it sure sounds better with the Dekoni Audio Choice Suede (as mentioned in many LCD-X threads).

Apr 5, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #220 of 2,721
just got off the phone with audeze and they confirmed all there headphones have the new pads now and they said one of the reasons for it is to improve the frequency response

sorry if this is old news
Still confused as to why we were told earlier in this thread that none of the changes to the LCD-X apply to the other models. Clearly not the case... thanks

Apr 5, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #222 of 2,721
Still confused as to why we were told earlier in this thread that none of the changes to the LCD-X apply to the other models. Clearly not the case... thanks
I mean I had a feeling something was up with my pads on my new LCD-2. It also does not sound that off. I wonder if they were going to announce it officially later but have chosen to do otherwise because of the confusion/annoyance around the LCD-X revisions... you know... I don’t fault them for revising their products but there is a sweet spot in terms of transparency vs discretion and Audeze is clearly still looking for it. Then again... a little controversy never hurt anyone when the products are in demand... look at Apple.

Apr 5, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #223 of 2,721
I mean I had a feeling something was up with my pads on my new LCD-2. It also does not sound that off. I wonder if they were going to announce it officially later but have chosen to do otherwise because of the confusion/annoyance around the LCD-X revisions... you know... I don’t fault them for revising their products but there is a sweet spot in terms of transparency vs discretion and Audeze is clearly still looking for it. Then again... a little controversy never hurt anyone when the products are in demand... look at Apple.
lol, I think they went from someone asking them about the 2016 revision then that person explaining to Head-Fi what they were told, to now directly making an official announcement of a revision on here. Baby steps, apparently. Next time...an actual heads up.

Edit: Source

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back