LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 4, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #166 of 2,741
Do the MX actually slam? I’ve heard this about many planars and been underwhelmed by the bass impact and texture. If the MX actually do that’s good info.

The MX is supposed to be the X diaphragm + stronger Fluxor magnet structrure, though many find the improvement isn't big enough justifying the price difference (double). It would make a lot of sense for Audeze to differentiate the X and MX sound further with the latest X updates, making the MX sound more unique in the line-up.

Apr 4, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #167 of 2,741
So the latest version has fewer magnets, less obstructed drivers. I guess it will lead the sound to be less dynamic, but better imaging LCD-24 like direction?

I have a late 2018 / early 2019 produced XC. If they didn't change the diaphragm material/thickness for better resolution, there's little point in upgrading to the latest drivers. From sales strategy perspective I guess the new driver structure could be more for weight (and slightly cost) saving and more differentiation to the LCD-MX sound (e.g. get the MX if you want the slam).

It seems the new pads is mostly responsible to the more even FR. But I am already using EQ so there is also no hurry getting the new pads.

Well, pass on.
I am glad to see FR improvements and weight reduction, but my worry is also: fewer magnets=less dynamics. The main reason I like my LCD-X is bass dynamics.
I guess we will have to wait for some direct comparisons between the last two versions of LCD-X.

Apr 4, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #168 of 2,741
I am glad to see FR improvements and weight reduction, but my worry is also: fewer magnets=less dynamics. The main reason I like my LCD-X is bass dynamics.
I guess we will have to wait for some direct comparisons between the last two versions of LCD-X.

I won't bet the latest LCD-X is an all.around improvement of the older 2018-2020 version. Considering the latest X is already lighter, who would even bother buying the MX if it's also improved all around sound wise?

Apr 4, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #169 of 2,741
One thing that bothers me about my new LCD-Xs is the inconsistency of the pads. The right one is firm and has enough foam but the left one looks and feels as if it has less foam or there is something wrong with it. It had this crease out of the box. It was barely noticeable the first week but now it's clearly visible and I can feel my left ear touching the driver. Not cool... I'll try to contact the store I bought them from to see if they will change my set.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/U23FqJbJd4zBxMcQ9

Apr 4, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #170 of 2,741
One thing that bothers me about my new LCD-Xs is the inconsistency of the pads. The right one is firm and has enough foam but the left one looks and feels as if it has less foam or there is something wrong with it. It had this crease out of the box. It was barely noticeable the first week but now it's clearly visible and I can feel my left ear touching the driver. Not cool... I'll try to contact the store I bought them from to see if they will change my set.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/U23FqJbJd4zBxMcQ9
Not great. Hopefully a one off issue and it gets sorted quickly.
That said, I love the feel of the memory foam pads. Something I would miss.

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #171 of 2,741
So, we have the same headphone with different sonic signature without using EQ. Well done @Audeze you really hurting your reputation with this kind of updates. I have the MX4 and was looking for the LCD-4 but the more I see the further away I will keep my self. Headphones with such differences shall be differentiated with something. Naming the headphones LCD-X2 could be a simple solution.

Apr 4, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #172 of 2,741
@Deceneu808

Hey, in that video you posted try not to squeeze the Audeze. Their drivers are one of the worst. Fragile, not robust and will die on you. And their customer service will say, 'you put on your headphones on to fast or you laid them on the side for too long.' Sorry to say, you might of cut your X life in half now.

Apr 4, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #173 of 2,741
@Deceneu808

Hey, in that video you posted try not to squeeze the Audeze. Their drivers are one of the worst. Fragile, not robust and will die on you. And their customer service will say, 'you put on your headphones on to fast or you laid them on the side for too long.' Sorry to say, you might of cut your X life in half now.
Laid them on the side for too long?
Which effect should that have?

Apr 4, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #174 of 2,741
They implemented the grill change on all models in early 2020

I ordered my creator package LCD-X with leather pads from Adorama the first week of February. My serial indicates I have the 2021 revised version but it came in the cardboard box (my understanding is the new economy case only started shipping a few weeks ago)

I have no comparison to the previous version but I must say.......I REALLY enjoy the way they sound and don’t hear any of the flaws I’ve heard others express in the past about their FR. I originally had the LCD-2 Classics for a month as they seemingly fit the bill for my needs. I’m treble sensitive and a lot of the music I enjoy (specifically Metal) tends to be poorly recorded with hot treble that gets fatiguing very quickly for me. As much as I enjoyed them I simply found them too dark in the top end and missed a lot of the recorded details because of that. Apprehensively I decided to send them back and spend more than I ever thought I would on headphones ($1900 after tax for us Canucks) and got the X. Why was I apprehensive? Because of concerns I’d seen others raise about their FR shortcomings.....areas that are red flags for me. I assumed I wouldn‘t enjoy how the mids/top end was implemented. But I figured what the heck......if I don’t like them, back they go. In short......2hrs into my first listening session I knew they were keepers for me and my preferences. I listen to them for hours on end, often at elevated levels and never find them fatiguing except on truly bad recordings which is no fault of the X themselves. I simply find them very enjoyable to listen to and early on I often wondered why so many others had the issues that I wasn’t hearing at all. Now I guess we know why with this revision news.

Speaking of the pads. Again.....I don’t have ”in my hands experience” from the previous version but I can compare them to the 2020 LCD-2 Classics I mentioned earlier that I had for a month before I returned them and stepped up to the X

Compared to the non leather, memory foam pads those are fitted with, the revised pads on my LCD-X are not memory foam which surprised me at first when I took them out of the box because my understanding was thats what Audeze used. They’re also slightly shallower in comparison (and seemingly shallower than photos of older LCD-X I’ve seen). Still super comfortable, no issue with the fazor touching my ears (YMMV) and I don’t get that initial vacuum seal I used to get with the LCD-2 Classics when I’d put them on. In short I have no comfort complaints whatsoever and couldn’t be happier with them.

I'm a former Canada resident living in Texas, and would like to point out that the Canadian dollar has risen sharply over the past year, meaning you should be able to get a better deal on US goods than you had on those LCD-Xs. At least Audeze hadn't called it a brand new model at higher price, with the update. Was it the GST and PST owing that had made up most of the difference? The cardboard box should have reduced your shipping costs (and with any luck, they will now have to send the new, smaller case free of charge). There isn't a tariff, as headphones are part of NAFTA. I would avoid UPS Ground and use air instead so you don't get stuck paying for their full brokerage services.

The LCD-2 Classic is the darkest one they sell (the fazor had helped flatten the frequency response between 1K and 2K).

I had LCD-3s for a bit, and wish Audeze would update that one as well. At least they hadn't raised the price over all those years. The purchase had more to do with the second hand price I was able to get, than anything else, not because I think they're worth $245 over the LCD-Xs (they only offer the creator edition with the -X). They had a creamy, pleasant, liquid midrange (but arguably, not a more accurate one). I had to pay extra to get the new headband at the time, and I had also bought Dekoni hybrid earpads ($89.99). Those had replaced their floppy "vegan" pads (prying them off hadn't been fun). You can view the FR charts on their website, but I can't say conclusively that those had improved the sound. People do exaggerate (though not as much as they do with cable swaps).

I don't want to pay for the LCD-4 or any of its derivatives, so I suppose I'm kind of stuck. I had sold the LCD-3s because my Martin Logan speakers $3200 MSRP at the time) out-resolve them handily (they are far more lively than the LCD-X or the LCD-3, and closer to Focals).

Focal Clears, with their aluminum drivers had sounded fatiguing and brassy with percussion heavy music in particular. I would definitely prefer any Audeze for metal and hard rock music. The trouble area of my speakers is between 50 Hz and 120 Hz (room nodes, phase shift, the sub/tower crossover, rising distortion). Bass notes in a certain frequency range (60 to 90 Hz or so) sounded better defined on the Audeze headphones. I had noticed the resonance free, low distortion, flat impedance, low end a planar headphone offers.

Yes, I might look at the updated LCD-Xs, if I can find a set at a good price. There's no doubt in my mind that those are their best value (and not surprisingly, their best seller).

IEMs are another world that I won't get into right now.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #175 of 2,741
Laid them on the side for too long?
Which effect should that have?
Ya. I’ve never heard this one (but if someone has please chime in). The diaphragms are obviously fragile. It is like this with any planar. People need to get over this and be careful with their expensive things. Regarding what the guy did in the video - it’s not recommended, however, I don’t think he’s “cutting the life of his diaphragm in half” I wouldn’t make a habit of “squishing” the pads together like that though.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #176 of 2,741
I'm a former Canada resident living in Texas, and would like to point out that the Canadian dollar has risen sharply over the past year, meaning you should be able to get a better deal on US goods than you had on those LCD-Xs. At least Audeze hadn't called it a brand new model at higher price, with the update. Was it the GST and PST owing that had made up most of the difference? The cardboard box should have reduced your shipping costs (and with any luck, they will now have to send the new, smaller case free of charge). There isn't a tariff, as headphones are part of NAFTA. I would avoid UPS Ground and use air instead so you don't get stuck paying for their full brokerage services.
I didn’t pay $1900 CAD for them. I quoted that price to reflect what someone from Ontario Canada will end up paying for them if they buy them through an authorized Canadian Audeze dealer. Every authorized Canadian dealer lists the LCD-X for $1699 CAD plus taxes (13% HST in Ontario) for the Creator package. In short, $1919.87 CAD for somebody in Ontario.

As mentioned earlier, I purchased through Adorama who shipped via FedEx ($44 USD shipping charge) I won’t buy products from any US vendor that only ships via UPS as they are far and away THE WORST courier service when it comes to fees. FedEx did collect HST on the $1199 after converting to CAD (1.27 at the time) All told they ended up costing me just under $1800 CAD all in

As for the new case......I’m not gonna hold my breath I’ll be given one of those. Would it be nice? Sure.......but I’ll never use it.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #177 of 2,741
This is also my concern. I’m eagerly awaiting Resolve’s review to find out if bass impact/slam has suffered.

Apr 4, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #178 of 2,741
This is also my concern. I’m eagerly awaiting Resolve’s review to find out if bass impact/slam has suffered.
He liked the LCD-2f... they now have the same number of magnets. Audezes have always had good slam compared to other planars!

Apr 4, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #179 of 2,741
Comparing recently using Reveal+ and Audirvana (Jot2 amp and Bifrost2 dac) - I had the opportunity to A/B a new model LCD-X with a new LCD-2f - I'm no expert but the LCD-X bass was tighter and at times more defined but the LCD-2f bass had a bit more rumble and at times was more prominent and punchy - I wouldn't call it "boomier" but something of the sort. In some tracks, the LCD-2f had a bass that was preferable. In others, the LCD-X. I had no idea it was a new model LCD-X - but it was - and so using Reveal+ may not have been optimizing it - I'm not really sure.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #180 of 2,741
I didn’t pay $1900 CAD for them. I quoted that price to reflect what someone from Ontario Canada will end up paying for them if they buy them through an authorized Canadian Audeze dealer. Every authorized Canadian dealer lists the LCD-X for $1699 CAD plus taxes (13% HST in Ontario) for the Creator package. In short, $1919.87 CAD for somebody in Ontario.

As mentioned earlier, I purchased through Adorama who shipped via FedEx ($44 USD shipping charge) I won’t buy products from any US vendor that only ships via UPS as they are far and away THE WORST courier service when it comes to fees. FedEx did collect HST on the $1199 after converting to CAD (1.27 at the time) All told they ended up costing me just under $1800 CAD all in

As for the new case......I’m not gonna hold my breath I’ll be given one of those. Would it be nice? Sure.......but I’ll never use it.
It sounds like you hadn't been ripped off after all.. Audeze does have a lot of dealers in Ontario, but I think it's hard for them to match the high volume and economies of scale, of an Adorama or a Crutchfield. I did notice that Dan Clark Audio prices had been creeping up (their light but low dynamics Ether 2, is now $2300). I don't even think Audeze or D.C.A. had been producing product for a while, due to the strict COVID-19 lockdowns in southern California. I had tried to see if they had a showroom, when I was working close to Orange County.

The old Audeze case was ridiculously large, anyway, and it's something I could do without. I also don't understand the fuss about balanced cables. Neither of those are something that I would be showing off to people, most of them except for people on here would say, "What? You spent $1200 on a set of headphones?".

Not sure what I will be going with next, maybe another set of IEMs. Audeze's new Euclid, had been panned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back