LCD-X and XC Update
Mar 31, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #16 of 2,721
That sounds somewhat counterintuitive to Audeze's marketing that directs the LCD-X for music production use.

Reality is often counterintuitive regarding our perceptions.
Its interesting to realize that reality is what you perceive it to be, and that can be not related to reality.
What is sane? What is crazy?
Who is not a bit of both?, or moreso related to one of those?
The thing with people, is that perception is their reality, and perception is flawed because it can be directed and it can be tricked.
Not everything we see and hear is True, yet the believability is so strong, we often trust the false.

Do some of you trust Youtube Headphone Reviewers or only "review" sites??
Can you name the ones who dont get kickbacks and favors and free gear and even payment for reviewing new products?
And if that is true, can you trust them?
See, the real world is not what we perceive, much of the time.

Now about the LCD-X.......it has enhanced bass and isn't a reference sound.
Yet, the reason it works as such a joy to hear, is why it works as a professional studio tool.
This headphone, is what reviewers and rich audiophiles listen to, when they are tired of their "reference perfection gear, with the most detail, etc etc".
See, perfection is boring, is what you learn after a while, regarding gear and people.
Its the tiny imperfections and the little bit extra that makes the good, the best.
So, What you do is take all those perfect off, and go get your favorite beverage and your favorite chair and you "kick back" with the LCD-X and bliss ensues.
Too much sonic detail and too much perfected audio sonics is tiring to try to enjoy, is the reality.
This is why i tell my readers to keep the gear you like to hear, or you will end up buying it again.
See, what happens is, you get very very use to their sound, speaking of the LCD-X and that is why they work in a professional environment.

In the Studio world, it does not really matter as much as you might think, that your studio monitors are accurate.
What you want is gear that translates its "mix" well on other systems.
What matters is that you use them so much, that you learn them. You learn how they eq sound and reproduce it, and once you have that learned skill, you apply it to mixing and mastering.
Mixing and Mastering comes down to listening skill combined with an innate musicality sense of what makes a good song, great.
And so, you produce that with your tools that you have learned how to use, perfectly, to produce that...

For example. Yamaha has this horrible sounding set of small monitors, the NS-10.
They are dry, flat, lacking in dynamics, and have no bass.
Yet they have been used to produce some of the greatest albums and songs ever created.
Its the same with the LCD-X, which actually sound very good, just not clinically accurate.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #17 of 2,721
Now about the LCD-X.......it has enhanced bass and isn't a reference sound.
Yet, the reason it works as such a joy to hear, is why it works as a professional studio tool.
This headphone, is what reviewers and rich audiophiles listen to, when they are tired of their "reference perfection gear, with the most detail, etc etc".
See, perfection is boring, is what you learn after a while, regarding gear and people.
Its the tiny imperfections and the little bit extra that makes the good, the best.
So, What you do is take all those perfect off, and go get your favorite beverage and your favorite chair and you "kick back" with the LCD-X and bliss ensues.
Too much sonic detail and too much perfected audio sonics is tiring to try to enjoy, is the reality.
This is why i tell my readers to keep the gear you like to hear, or you will end up buying it again.
See, what happens is, you get very very use to their sound, speaking of the LCD-X and that is why they work in a professional environment.
This portion of your post seems to be an argument against the LCD-X being used in a professional setting (e.g. mixing and mastering) where a reference sound signature is required. The scope of original my post pertains to the marketing of this product to studio professionals for use in studio environments in response to LCD-X's coloration as mentioned in your earlier post.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #18 of 2,721
Well... they said they also changed the circuit. As to what corresponds to the improvement, your guess is as good as mine.
Sent them an email. See if there’s a way to upgrade my early 2020 pair.
Thanks.

Mar 31, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #19 of 2,721
Sent them an email. See if there’s a way to upgrade my early 2020 pair.
Thanks.
I mean, I'm literally just basing it off what was said in the original post for this thread. I don't have any extra info on that.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Mar 31, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #20 of 2,721
I mean, I'm literally just basing it off what was said in the original post for this thread. I don't have any extra info on that.
No problem. I just asked them if there’s a way to update older model. If there’s some tweakery going on in circuitry, it would be impossible to get that FR. If that is part of updated “tuning”,
If it’s just pads? That would be awesome news. Hope @Audeze could clarify that.

Mar 31, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #22 of 2,721
Great to hear that they've revised both models. I'm curious if they will offer the maple or alligator skin again with these revisions. I like the look and weight of the carbon but I wish it didn't have such a large type font on the cup.

I'm very interested in the LCDXC especially since Resolve's review. This'll most likely be my next purchase.

Mar 31, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #23 of 2,721
... I like the look and weight of the carbon but I wish it didn't have such a large type font on the cup.
yeah the large plain font on the cups is almost cheap/tacky. Allowing the carbon fiber pattern to carry the aesthetic or some kind of pattern/logo would be nicer.
previous lcd2closed was a better look imo
1617239297593.png

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #24 of 2,721
Did any of the other LCD headphones receive similar updates?

Apr 1, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #25 of 2,721
Audeze has a "sound".
Its not Harman, and it's not what we think of as existing as : natural or neutral.
Its "welcome to the world of Audeze sound", land.
Hifiman is similar, they have what Fang likes, per model, and this is not trying to be a snapshot of photographic sonic likeness.
Did you ever hear the original HE400? That thing weighed a tone, was so treble etched, mid lacking, and bass boosted, yet, it sounds good.
It does not sound "lifelike".
So, Audeze and HIMN are not trying to reproduce "Lifelike"
The LCD-X, is one of their best "sounds", and it plays well with music, but, its not a window into sonic realism.
Perhaps the recent MX-4 is trying to be less colored............
I suspect that the "new" LCD-X is not going to be the Queen of Sonic Naturalness, and that's ok., as that's Audeze.
Im sure i'll eventually try the "new' LCD-X.
Let the good times roll... :)
Audeze is a big proponent of DSP... they have software and hardware that apply DSP to their products so they can let their technically amazing drivers do their thing without excess damping. I have read that they have an in-house target that is actually similar to the Harman target. Hifimans are mostly brighter than Harman (aside from the newer Sundara which is basically a Harman-tuned headphone without the bass-shelf at this point) with a bit of missing ear gain around 1-2k... not sure if they have an in-house target and they probably wouldn't talk about it as openly as Audeze has if they did. Anyway... If you're handy with EQ, the Audezes are amazing headphones and now, apparently even if you aren't handy with EQ you can get into the Audezes (due to these revisions). Their build, technical performance, and customer support/warranty has been top notch for a while.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #27 of 2,721
Just got a response from Audeze in regards to upgrading the LCD X drivers. Mentioned that they will be completely replacing the drivers and pads at a small cost.

Before I proceed, I really want to know if its a big upgrade from the previous batch. If it's worth it, I'm definitely making the jump!

Counting on you Andrew! 🙏

Apr 1, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #28 of 2,721
Just got a response from Audeze in regards to upgrading the LCD X drivers. Mentioned that they will be completely replacing the drivers and pads at a small cost.

Before I proceed, I really want to know if its a big upgrade from the previous batch. If it's worth it, I'm definitely making the jump!

Counting on you Andrew! 🙏
So upgrade does involve drivers swap as well huh? What cost are we talking about here?
I didn’t get reply from them yet so I’m curious.

Apr 1, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #30 of 2,721
Yeap, apparently its a completely new driver, not just pads. $580 is what they quoted me.
Not exactly spare change to “upgrade” headphones less than a year old. But, it might be worth it........ Hopefully, someone can make some comparison. Since I don’t EQ, it seems like a tempting proposition.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back