LCD-X and XC Update
Sep 22, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #1,021 of 2,740
I finally bought my (hopefully) end game headphone. I just purchased a new LCD-X (2021 edition). I will put up impressions of it once I get it in the mail. I am upgrading from the DT 1990 that I have had for about 2 years. I am seriously hoping that this LCD-X is the last headphone that I will ever end up buying. I refuse to spend more money on this hobby.

Sep 22, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #1,023 of 2,740
I just got the email that my LCD-X has shipped. I will put up my impressions of it once I get it in the mail. How do you people find the weight of the headphone ? I am fairly muscular, so I can't imagine it will be any problem for me to use.

Sep 22, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #1,024 of 2,740
I just got the email that my LCD-X has shipped. I will put up my impressions of it once I get it in the mail. How do you people find the weight of the headphone ? I am fairly muscular, so I can't imagine it will be any problem for me to use.
You should be able to neck press 612g…

Sep 22, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #1,025 of 2,740
It's really not that bad. If you find it heavy give it a couple days and you should get used to the weight. I know I adjusted quickly. All I really remember from when I first got them was listening until like 2:30am when I planned to turn in at midnight. they were so addictive to listen to. I was using the Oratory1990 presets for the 2021 lcd-X. I have since found I don't like quite as much presence and have tweaked the EQ preset (as oratory recommends you do anyway).

They're great cans. I thought they'd be my endgame but now Audeze is coming out with all of this great new stuff I really hope to own an LCD-5 in the next year or two.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #1,026 of 2,740
I have owned the LCD-X since 2016 and it has the “old style” headband, not the “cantilever” headband. I have thought that headphone weight is not an issue if the distribution of that weight is pretty even. In fact, I like to feel a little “heft” on my head - the ‘confirmation’ of build solidity rather than flimsiness…

Sep 22, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #1,027 of 2,740
Hi all, I currently own a pair of LCD-2 Closed which I love and have recently sold some stuff so now I have cash for an upgrade. Does anyone know if the XC or the X is a definite upgrade to the 2 Closed. Ive read the tunning is more nuetral but is there more detail/dynamics/better/etc? If anyone has had some experience with these I would be grateful. Cheers.

Sep 22, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #1,028 of 2,740
I refuse to spend more money on this hobby.
….if I’ve said it once, I’ll say it again: the urge to upgrade can strike and consume any Head Fier at any time without warning and without regard to finances. The tens of thousands of posts in Head-Fi are testament to this unrelenting situation…

Sep 22, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #1,029 of 2,740
Hi all, I currently own a pair of LCD-2 Closed which I love and have recently sold some stuff so now I have cash for an upgrade. Does anyone know if the XC or the X is a definite upgrade to the 2 Closed. Ive read the tunning is more nuetral but is there more detail/dynamics/better/etc? If anyone has had some experience with these I would be grateful. Cheers.
I’d definitely recommend you listen to them both and see if the difference is that impressive that you’d consider the extra cost “worth it”. I never owned the 2C or 2 Closed however, I owned the 2F and while there is a noticeable difference and upgrade in terms of micro-dynamics/detail when going to the LCD-X it wouldn’t stand alone as the reason to upgrade IMO. LCD-2 closed has more neutral frequency response out of the box. You’re definitely going to get a more relaxed presentation with ANY of their open-back headphones aside from their new flagships. Their older headphone models really sound at their best with EQ. The real advantage to the LCD-X is when you consider the efficiency + the gains in technical performance.

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #1,030 of 2,740
Talking about various models, the only LCD headphone that I have ever heard before was the LCD-2C. It was too dark in signature for my liking. I am going into the LCD-X 2021 totally blind, so I obviously have very high hopes that I will be impressed with this headphone.

Sep 23, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #1,031 of 2,740
Talking about various models, the only LCD headphone that I have ever heard before was the LCD-2C. It was too dark in signature for my liking. I am going into the LCD-X 2021 totally blind, so I obviously have very high hopes that I will be impressed with this headphone.
I also had 2C for a week, but to me, it sounded like 300$ headphones.
X are totally different league.. and if you EQ it, you listen to its full price :)

Sep 23, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #1,033 of 2,740
As I keep on reading I see that some folks mention reduced bass shelf (with a more quality bass response) and a difference in dynamics between the 2021 LcD-XC and the previous version.

1- Bass can be boosted but if there is a loss in dynamics, that could be a problem? What can you say?

2- Also it is mentioned that there is a noticeably higher upper-mid energy in the new version. Is this similar to the Audeze Sine Closed backs? If yes, I’ve always liked the extra energy. I’m not a technical guy, forgive my ignorance but here is a graph for the Sine CB that I’ve found on the net. I think Sine CB also has extra energy in upper-mids.
3CF841EE-DD05-4D8C-B517-C4DAF9DB3B05.jpeg

3- Some folks say that the 2021 LCD-XC is not an Audeze headphone. What exactly does this mean? Is it only related to the uppermids or are there other factors? Can you elaborate?

Thank you very much,

Sep 23, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #1,035 of 2,740
As I keep on reading I see that some folks mention reduced bass shelf (with a more quality bass response) and a difference in dynamics between the 2021 LcD-XC and the previous version.

1- Bass can be boosted but if there is a loss in dynamics, that could be a problem? What can you say?

2- Also it is mentioned that there is a noticeably higher upper-mid energy in the new version. Is this similar to the Audeze Sine Closed backs? If yes, I’ve always liked the extra energy. I’m not a technical guy, forgive my ignorance but here is a graph for the Sine CB that I’ve found on the net. I think Sine CB also has extra energy in upper-mids.

3- Some folks say that the 2021 LCD-XC is not an Audeze headphone. What exactly does this mean? Is it only related to the uppermids or are there other factors? Can you elaborate?

Thank you very much,

1) Bass can be boosted, without introducing noticeable distortion. Bass slam is good, but not great. In terms of planars, the 2C has an incredible amount of slam, producing physical impact to the bass that rivals very good dynamic drivers. Quite a feat. The '21 XC does not have that, but it does slam harder than most planars. I'd put it in about the 60th percentile there. Handily beating most HiFiMen I've heard, minus the Arya, and narrowly beating out the 2F.

2) I've got the SINE as well, and it's hard to compare the two. The XC is a significantly better headphone. The XC has got more upper mid and treble energy, but also better separation and detail. In fact, the '21 XC is more detailed and resolving that the Arya. So, the quantity of upper octaves presence is higher than the SINE, but the quality is also far far better. Overall, I don't think they sound very similar at all. In comparison, the SINE is slower, more congested, warmer, and more blurred. I love my SINE, but it just doesn't compete.

3) What they mean is that it doesn't have the 'house sound.' In this case, because it has a bit of a mid-bass hump, has an excellent sense of air, and has a relatively filled in upper-mids region. I get the point they're making; the XC does not sound like any other Audeze. A better way to put it is that this is a neutral-bright headphone, where most Audezes are thought of as neutral-dark or just plain dark. But, it is a great headphone overall, and a phenomenal closed headphone, so I don't really care that it doesn't align with people's preconceptions about what Audeze should sound like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back