LCD-X and XC Update
Sep 12, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #1,007 of 2,740
Okay, so here is the post I was talking about.

I have to say, I LOVE THEM VERY MUCH (now).

This is not a honeymoon post after 2 hours of listening, but an experience after 1 month of listening (EQed).

TLDR: I had F. Clears (Feb. to May) but swapped to LCDX 21 (in May) , because Clears couldnt handle some high volume (bass section) as I sometimes have the taste to turn things up a little bit more. And I heard X21 should be very close to Clears sound + with possibility of "endless volume and bass" (planar). So I did the swap and yea its good, but I knew from the start they can sound better!

After 3 months of experimenting I finally came with this. Its @amirm EQ suggestion but a little tweaked.

To me now, everything sounds exactly as I dreamed it will sound on X.

Bass is very on point and it actually hits, mids are good and there is sparkle too - I wont describe much - for me its close to perfect sound, try it yourself.
It really sounds like a 1k headphones now.
I cant listen without EQ anymore. It is really a biig difference.

The EQ is:

Low shelf +6db 77hz 1 Q
Low shelf +2,5db 150hz 0,8 Q (gain there up to taste, +1,5db is good too)
Peak +2db 2,5khz 2,5 Q
Peak +4db 3,7khz 4,5 Q
Peak -1db 5,8khz 5 Q
High shelf +2,5db 8,1khz 0,7 Q

Try and let me know. G.

Sep 12, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #1,009 of 2,740
I haven't heard the 2021 revision of the LCD-X, but I spent many hours with the 2020 version. I also owned the Arya.
In my experience the Arya and the LCD-X are very different.
Arya is more spacious, brighter, softer.
LCD-X is more focused, more dynamic.
My personal preference was the LCD-X, but I know a lot of people preferred the Arya.
I can't imagine the driver and pad change brought the LCD-X that much closer to the Arya.
Arya: spaciousness, airiness, brighter treble; LCD-X focused bass impact, smaller soundstage, more energy.

Sep 12, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #1,010 of 2,740
My comped LCD-X came in (late August build). By the way some of you guys made it sound, I would've expected it to sound more like the GX, which is more dry, and less focused in the bass regions. I thought the GX was a vastly underrated LCD, but then I compared directly to the X, and there's a reason the X costs more. It's just absolutely infused with musicality and depth that the GX can't muster. They are in two different tiers. I still think the GX is great in a bubble, but man...the X is woah. I also wanna say I'm not an EQ guy, so my impression is as is.

I'm, also very surprised how LITTLE this thing needs to get to loud levels. I had it running on my Jotunheim 2 balanced on high gain, and I barely even got started on the volume knob. This is definitely a low gain only headphone, lol.

It is still 100% Audeze house sound, so I dunno where people it sounds like an Arya. I don't agree. They may cater to similar things, but this is still a very Audeze sounding headphone. The Arya doesn't sound like this. Now if I owned one or the other, I probably wouldn't get the other, but they're not so close to say they are close-close IMHO. The Arya is a stellar headphone. The X is a stellar headphone. Just saying they're not so similar that I'd call the X a HFM sounding headphone. I don't agree.

The true test is whether a dark/warmhead like me will give up the 2C for this. I LOVE the 2C. I haven't started that comparison. But the X is definitely immediately impressive.

(disclaimer: Yes I've recently been under the employ of Audeze, but I still maintain my individuality and have my preferences and tastes. My opinions above are 100% my own, and if you believe I made them just because I work for Audeze now, you're free to ignore, but I was a reviewer first, and stand by my words as how I truly feel, no bias. The only bias in my statement I have is for good stuff, and this stuff is GOOD).
Man... here's to hoping I can get a review unit soon. The good examples of the X in the past have been mind blowingly more detailed than the 2C or 2F already.

Sep 12, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #1,011 of 2,740
How well do the new XC's handle pop and EDM? it seems like they would be perfect, but I want some owner's opinions.

Sep 13, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #1,012 of 2,740
How well do the new XC's handle pop and EDM? it seems like they would be perfect, but I want some owner's opinions.
They are great with these genres (and all genres) IF you EQ a bass shelf. Just a bass shelf, I do +6 db below 200hz. As much as I love the LCD-XC without this shelf, for me, they would be limited to rock, jazz, classical or similar.

Sep 13, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #1,013 of 2,740
They are great with these genres (and all genres) IF you EQ a bass shelf. Just a bass shelf, I do +6 db below 200hz. As much as I love the LCD-XC without this shelf, for me, they would be limited to rock, jazz, classical or similar.
I would likely be putting a small bass shelf on them regardless. thank you for your help!

Sep 19, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #1,018 of 2,740
Man... here's to hoping I can get a review unit soon. The good examples of the X in the past have been mind blowingly more detailed than the 2C or 2F already.
the 21 LCD-X will wipe the floor with 2C’s blood. But 2F Is another story IMO. It’s not significantly more detailed than 2F IMHO. It’s definitely more resolving but I always find X (even the new one) to be more intimate and maybe that translates to have more observable detail. I also like how crazy 2F benefits from some serious Tube Amps while X kinda don’t care that much in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back