LCD-X and XC Update
Jul 11, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #2,551 of 2,740
I'm thinking about Dekoni fenestrated pads -but more to lessen that vacuum effect in the cups (also they could appear to be cooler. It seems to me that after getting hot in stock leather pads my ears start to cool down, but yes, initial warm-up is still there). I don't know (or at least I didn't try) if anything can be as breathable as Hifiman Arya\Edition XS pads, so reducing vacuum is my only concern.

By the way do fenestrated pads reduce bass or add highs? I remember some users mentioned this dozens of pages back ))
Some info on fenestrated
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lcd-x-and-xc-update.956949/page-135#post-17063363
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lcd-x-and-xc-update.956949/page-135#post-17063610

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #2,553 of 2,740
Pressing in the cups together like this is a surefire way on damaging the drivers due to the air pressure caused.

Don't ever push your cups together like this. We're talking about a very thin piece of film thinner than human hair being subjected to an immense amount of built up pressure.

This can cause premature crinkling, or outright kill a driver.

Planars are not like dynamic drivers. Exercise caution when it comes to pressure.
Yep I know, thanks for info - I'm not making the pressure inside the cups - I keep them open on the other side with my pinky inside.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #2,554 of 2,740
Thanks for that, mine will arrive tomorrow - will try them while waiting the solution for different stock ones. My main concern is that the graph on dekoni website suggests that these cups will make LCD-X sound closer to Hifiman Arya\XS which I just went from. So far stock leather pads sound of LCD-X sound was perfect, really think that this is my kind of sound. Will see

Attachments

• LCD-FNSK.png
    LCD-FNSK.png
    320.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #2,555 of 2,740
Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #2,556 of 2,740
So I've collected my thoughts about the Dekoni fenestrated pads (I've been listening to them for almost 2 days) and decided to sell them. Firstly - they do exactly what the graph shows, but for my perception with a stronger effect, much stronger than I would like - they reduce the low end, also cut some of the upper mid-range I like, and excessively (for me) boost the upper frequencies (the level of details is the same - only the loudness of these frequencies - just like parametric would do) thus completely ruining the LCD-X'21 character with stock leather pads that I've grown to love.

They also feel about 2 times bigger than the stock pads and I feel like a hammerhead fish :) This adds to the bulky feel and I can really feel the weight of the headphones when I move my head around, whereas with the stock ones I hardly feel it at all. After an hour or so they get warmer and softer and it looks like the headphones are clamping them a bit tighter, adding a bit more extra boost for up freqs, but this addition is not as strong as the initial one. They feel cooler and I didn't feel the vacuum like I did with the original, but this bulkiness and sound impact outweighs it for me. They are also stiffer and it takes some time for the memory foam to warm up and get the best fit.

The quality is exceptional, but I didn't expect it to be any different. So overall I don't think they are bad, you just need to know exactly what to expect and what you want from them (like Andrew above), in my case they are a complete miss (I expected this and bought an open box of unused ones from a local dealer and already have a guy who wants to buy them from me). If I had bought them at full price - it would have been an epic fail for me : )

I contacted Audeze with the question about the different softness of the stock pads and they advised me to change the unit with the dealer (which I think is a bit overkill о_О).

I told the dealer that I didn't want to return the unit and just wanted to have the pads to change them myself and they agreed and I'll pick them up today and swap dekoni for them.

So maybe someone finds this useful :ksc75smile:

P.S. swapping glued pads while you comparing the sound is awful and yes, I've read the article why Audeze still do this.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #2,557 of 2,740
I have found that initial treble boost tames down some after pads break in. For extra clamp I've just unbent headband a little, so they are pretty loose even with the thicker pads. But if the change is completely not your cup of tea, it's better to reverse the course, I just wasn't too keen of wooled treble with original pads.

Jul 13, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #2,558 of 2,740
I contacted Audeze with the question about the different softness of the stock pads and they advised me to change the unit with the dealer (which I think is a bit overkill о_О).
As you just bought the unit from an international dealer, it is up to the dealer to handle products until the return period is over. After that, if you have any issues, the international distributor in your region handles issues for our products (it's why we have international distributors. That way you don't have to deal with waiting on shipping from our side of the world, and things are handled locally.)

If you are past the initial return period, we can forward you to the international distributor, so they can assist you directly.

Jul 13, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #2,559 of 2,740
I just wasn't too keen of wooled treble with original pads.
In fact after I've changed the pads back to stock ones, I decided to keep dekonies for future. Maybe Arya and Edition XS just oversaturated my brain and later I'll check dekonies again (after all it's always good to have an alternative) :)

As you just bought the unit from an international dealer, it is up to the dealer to handle products until the return period is over. After that, if you have any issues, the international distributor in your region handles issues for our products (it's why we have international distributors. That way you don't have to deal with waiting on shipping from our side of the world, and things are handled locally.)

If you are past the initial return period, we can forward you to the international distributor, so they can assist you directly.

Yep, sure. I mean that I so liked the sound that didn't even want to think of return the unit because of pads, we have a bond now : ) I do think it might be the end game for me as they are beyond awesome. Just thanks Audeze, that's an exceptional job done here :beerchug:

Aug 28, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #2,560 of 2,740
I'm getting my pair of Dekony Fenestrated Sheepskin Pads for my LCD-Xs this week and I'm really interested to see if I will enjoy them cause I love the FR with stock pads. If I don't like them I will maybe order a pair of the normal dekoni sheepskin pads.

Aug 29, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #2,561 of 2,740
Hello everybody
Just got my Fenestrated Sheepskin Pads in the mail and I my first impressions are kinda mixed. There's definitely a trebble boost and they sound more airy. The impact on bass response is quite big and I had to tweak my eq to get the bass near the original FR again. However the bass is more clear to my ear, just not as present as it used to be. Other than that I'm really happy with them and my LCD-X now finally sits comfortable on my head. Before the pad swap my ears were touching the fazor elements and that got really uncomfortable after a few minutes of wearing them.
I'll wait and see how the sound changes after the pads started to break in and give you guys an update :)
I'm also looking at the solid sheepskin pads from Dekoni maybe I'll try them if I start missing the original sound too much.

Sep 1, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #2,562 of 2,740
Hi guys!
Just wanted to let you know that it seems that shorter straps are not available from them anymore - I've contacted Audeze to have one and they responded:

Just received a reply, we had shorter straps available for a brief period around 2021, but they are no longer available, and we can't really send you one at this time (the description was never updated in our system). We're sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.

Some users have reported that they've been successful in shortening the straps if it creates unwanted hot-spots. You may find some info on this at

Hope this helps!

Sep 2, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #2,563 of 2,740
Hi guys!
Just wanted to let you know that it seems that shorter straps are not available from them anymore - I've contacted Audeze to have one and they responded:

Just received a reply, we had shorter straps available for a brief period around 2021, but they are no longer available, and we can't really send you one at this time (the description was never updated in our system). We're sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.

Some users have reported that they've been successful in shortening the straps if it creates unwanted hot-spots. You may find some info on this at

Hope this helps!

i did this on my 2021 Lcd-x. It works very well if your head is close to resting on the metal band. One thing to take into acount, it will obviously cause a need to adjust the yokes out a little further. How far depends on where you make the new holes. I used the metal mounting plate as a guide, placing the edge at the top of the old holes. This resulted in a yoke difference of about a little under one full click. So...if your head is normaly between the clicks, could be good, worked for me. if not...drill holes accordingly.

Sep 2, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #2,564 of 2,740
i did this on my 2021 Lcd-x. It works very well if your head is close to resting on the metal band...
Thanks, I've already did the same yesterday -used metal plate as a guide. Decided not to cut the strap to see how it works first and seems it works fine. Added 1 click on the yokes from each side, no hotspot, about 8mm between the steel and strap, don't think the strap will stretch so much in the nearest future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back