LCD-2 VS Grado RS1 for Rock
Aug 19, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #17 of 230

Quote:
So you feel electric guitar is better with the LCD-2?
I'm so used to Grados midbass hump and upper midrange/lower treble spike?

Absolutely....100%. No comparison IMO.

After a week with the LCD-2s, I lost my cravings for the mid-bass hump on the drums and treble spikes....now I'm completely "reformed".
smile.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #18 of 230
Quote:

After a week with the LCD-2s, I lost my cravings for the mid-bass hump on the drums and treble spikes....now I'm completely "reformed".
smile.gif

Same here. I did more head-banging on my first day with the LCD-2 than I had for months with the HF-2. Of course, it was new, but I haven't been tempted to switch back since.

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #19 of 230

smile.gif

Lol...maybe we should start a Grado "reformed" club.
"Hi, my name is ______ and I've been reformed from Grados"

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #21 of 230
By the way, Macedonianhero:
Which LCD-2 version do you prefer for rock
And which LCD-2 version did you end up keeping, rev.1 or rev.2? Or are you keeping both?

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #22 of 230

Quote:
By the way, Macedonianhero:
Which LCD-2 version do you prefer for rock
And which LCD-2 version did you end up keeping, rev.1 or rev.2? Or are you keeping both?

I listen to mostly rock/hard rock/metal (old school mainly)...about 70% ish. Both are winners IMO, but I slightly preferred the Rev 2s. Here are my thoughts between the two versions:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/453116/audeze-lcd-2-orthos/16455#post_7667906

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #23 of 230

Quote:
Same here. I did more head-banging on my first day with the LCD-2 than I had for months with the HF-2. Of course, it was new, but I haven't been tempted to switch back since.

Your making me really want to get them now
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #24 of 230
I think the very different signatures you get with the RS1 and LCD-2 make it hard to pin point exactly which one is "better" for rock music. This is particularly true when you consider the broad array of music that such a title can encompass. Truth be told, I can listen to "rock" from either one (properly amped of course) and be extremely happy. If you asked me today, I could not pick one over the other.

With that said, when listening to harder rock especially (ex: AC/DC) I think the Grado 325is edges past both cans and truly displays the visceral emotion that rock embodies.

But in the end it's all personal preference.

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #25 of 230

Quote:

With that said, when listening to harder rock especially (ex: AC/DC) I think the Grado 325is edges past both cans and truly displays the visceral emotion that rock embodies.

But in the end it's all personal preference.

Sometimes I do wonder if any headphone could convey metal, 80's and 70's rock better than my 325i's, yet after reading this discussion it appears
that my gut instinct and ears are probably right. They just sound so right, it is difficult to imagine a pair of cans to dust them into the weeds.

I second guess every other genre along with my other phones (none of which are perfect by far) but the 325i's have earned their place.

Aug 22, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #26 of 230
I have LCD-2 Rev.1 and Grado RS1i - to me the LCD-2 wins in soundstage, bass depth and impact, imaging, coherency and faithful tonality, however the Grado still wins in guitars.  There are just some frequencies that the LCD-2 downplays which the Grado picks up - and those treble spikes make the guitars "crunchy?"  I get a greater sense of PRAT from the Grado RS1i vs the LCD-2 Rev.1  - even amped with my balanced 4 watt AGD NFB-10 ES.  Treble is a little brighter and more present on the Grado, but it lacks coherency so its really no better than the LCD-2 Rev.1 in this region.  If you listen solely to (esp. technical) metal/rock that is not overproduced, are not sensitive to bright headphones, like a more forward presentation, and have $700 to spend then Grado should do well.  If you listen to other music, want soundstage, comfort (save for neck pain), and a more coherent tonal presentation and a bit better resale (currently) then the LCD-2 (I have only heard Rev.1) is probably a better choice.

Aug 22, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #27 of 230
I had an LCD2 for a few weeks and I did not like them for rock. The bass was very prominent and the mids felt recessed compared to my old RS2s. (and current HF2 and PS1000)

The LCD2 is very good but since it delivers so much bass, it can overwhelm the midrange. it's not bad, muddy bass, but there's just so much of it, it cant help but be the most prominent frequency that you hear.

Aug 22, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #28 of 230
I have the HF2 and its a great can IMO.  I guess if you like to bring out certain types of guitar sounds at low volume than the HF2s are fantastic.  But I could have sworn that there was other instruments other than these "certain types of guitar sounds" also in this so called "rock" music.  When I crank up the HF2 to moderate to reference levels, the chassis starts to vibrate.  IMO Its already too bright for reference levels and the RS1 is said to be brighter.

specific types of guitar licks at low volume, yeah - the HF2 is king IMO.  Perhaps the RS1 is even better?

Aug 22, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #29 of 230
I own a pair of HF2s (#44) and I absolutely love them for rock and vocals.
Auditioned RS1s multiple times and they are also exceptional for rock.
I bought the HF2 first, so I never found a reason to go for a pair of RS1s.
However, I have never tried a pair of LCD-2s, so I cannot provide any input for it.

Aug 22, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #30 of 230
Im gonna contest that. Even my RS2 need an amp, if they dont have an amp they sound a bit sloppy, not lose but congested and slow. They do need power to get them moving.

Quote:
You don't need an amp at all to push the RS1 to the limit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back