LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Aug 10, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #721 of 2,398
wink.gif

Drug? Music is addictive enough. So far it's actually legal, but there are however those doing some Loundness War that I've heard of. Unsure about their motives though.

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #722 of 2,398

Quote:
wink.gif

Drug? Music is addictive enough. So far it's actually legal, but there are however those doing some Loundness War that I've heard of. Unsure about their motives though.

The Loudness War is funded by big pharma (pills for tinitus) and hearing aid manufacturers.

se

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #726 of 2,398

Quote:
Oh...

Then what the hell's he talking about? Mexico?

se

This is why I said you must be smoking something.  I figured you were obviously joking if you didn't think Nova Scotia was in Canada.  You really didn't?

He was talking about his neighbors, the United States! 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #727 of 2,398
Aug 11, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #728 of 2,398
Quote:
The Loudness War is funded by big pharma (pills for tinitus) and hearing aid manufacturers.

se

Don't forget the American Sign Language Teachers Association.

Quote:
This is why I said you must be smoking something.  I figured you were obviously joking if you didn't think Nova Scotia was in Canada.  You really didn't?

He was talking about his neighbors, the United States!  
tongue_smile.gif

He's totally messing with you.

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #729 of 2,398
Don't want to jump right into the middle of the geography lesson here, but I have a couple of quick things I'd like to share! 
smile.gif

I've been on a bit of a spendy kick here on my audio goodies recently (new DAC, new preamp, 3 new headphone amps, 3 new sets of cans, 4 different headphone cables, etc), and among the loot I've managed to accumulate, I've snagged a set of Whiplash TWag v2, Norse Audio 8 connector, and Q Audio cables for my LCD-2s. In the process of piling all this stuff up, I've had the pleasure of speaking to several different people in the audio community, two of whom have been mentioned in this thread, and I'd like to pass along my experiences. 

Trevor at Norse was kind enough to answer a number of my (admittedly noobish) questions in an email exchange we had while I was trying to determine which cable would be best for my setup. Every single time I'd send him a question, he wouldn't just answer it-- he'd reply with a lengthy explanation of whatever I was asking him about, links to other sources of information, and long passages he'd copied from elsewhere and pasted to help me along my way. He was absolutely as helpful as he could have possibly been, and I very much  appreciated his patience and generosity with his time and knowledge. He's a true gentleman!!

I also worked with Steve Eddy at Q Audio about getting new cables for two of my cans and ended up deciding to try a pair for my LCD-2s to begin with. As you can DEFINITELY tell from this thread, this guy is a BLAST to deal with and obviously has a great time doing what he's doing 
tongue.gif
.  We spoke a few times via PM, exchanged a few Monty Python references, and after he was kind enough to send me some samples of the various sheathing he had, he shipped over a new cable and an adapter for me. He shot me the tracking number, and I eagerly awaited getting my hands on these cables that everyone keeps talking about! Unfortunately, due to a minor mixup, the cables were delivered right on time-- to a house 3.5 hours away 
frown.gif
. The neighborhood they were in isn't bad, but there are TONS of kids around there, and the temptation of a package sitting on a doormat for the next week or so would probably be more temptation than your typical hormone-addled teenage brain could handle, so I figured it's time to make an insurance claim of some kind.

I shot Steve a message to let him know what happened, and to ask how he had insured the cables. In no time flat, I had a message back from Steve-- saying that he was having another pair made right that very second, that they would be shipped out Express that same day, and that I would have them the very next day. No ifs, ands, or buts-- just absolute on-the-spot resolution of my issue with nary a moment's hesitation. I was completely floored!! You simply do not see that kind of service anymore, and I was incredibly impressed. I am now in possession of a sweet-lookin' pair of black and black-with-red-tracers balanced cables, and I couldn't be happier with the entire interaction!!

I haven't been able to really do much in the way of comparisons yet (and my system keeps changing around too much for my opinion to be particularly worthwhile at the moment), so I couldn't tell you which cable sounds best in my setup. (Hopefully one day I'll have some time to sit down, compare 'em, and do a quick write-up for you guys!) But I can say, definitively, that Trevor and Steve both have been some of the finest examples of customer service I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with in any context or company. It's people like this who make our little corner of the world a true community and not just another megadollar industry. I am overwhelmingly appreciative of the attitude and personal care that I've been given. 

Steve and Trevor-- Thank you for all that you do, and for making utter audio novices like myself feel right at home here. If every company could have one quarter of your understanding of the importance of the customer experience, we'd be out of the recession in a d@mn week 
tongue.gif

And now, back to the MUSIC!!! 
beerchug.gif

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #731 of 2,398
Reconsidering my setup at the moment, but am ready to pull the trigger on a cable in the meantime. Not sure if I'll go balanced in future, so I'm inclined to get a cable terminated in 4 pin xlr and just get an adapter to 1/4". I assume there won't be any compromise in sound if I elect to stay single ended and just use the balanced cable with the 1/4" adapter constantly attached?

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #732 of 2,398

Quote:
Reconsidering my setup at the moment, but am ready to pull the trigger on a cable in the meantime. Not sure if I'll go balanced in future, so I'm inclined to get a cable terminated in 4 pin xlr and just get an adapter to 1/4". I assume there won't be any compromise in sound if I elect to stay single ended and just use the balanced cable with the 1/4" adapter constantly attached?

I'm working on the Q cable impression right now.  Wake Steve up and order it.  He's probably in his pajamas, made out of cotton I would imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back