LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Apr 30, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #286 of 2,398
At least you'd be mummified with a  smile on your face.

Quote:
Got my single-end adapter for my Black Magic Cable!  Now I am going to go listen.  If I am not back on-line in a few days, then I am either in audio Nirvana or just dead and mummified but still rockin' to the LCD-2s, Schiit Lyr, and Black Magic cable! 
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 2, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #288 of 2,398
...ahh!  Somehow I managed to remove the LCD-2s from my head but the grin isn't going away.  I am extremely impressed with the Q -Audio's Black Majic cable for the Aude'ze.  I have been listening to music and rolling tubes in my Schiit Lyr amp, then letting the experience carry me away.

The most impressive physical aspect of the cable is how light and supple it is.  There is no (cable) stiffness whatsoever.  You could quite literally use it as a jump rope or a lasso (if you really wanted to).  When I listen to music, I am reclined and can usually feel the cable laying on my chest.  Not the Black Magic...it's so feather light, I am afraid I will get up and walk away, forgetting that I am still attached to my amp.

I was surprised at how small a diameter the woven together cables are...roughly the same diameter as my single Blue Dragon cable.  

The Black Magic isn't supposed to be delicate, but it appears that way and makes you just want to be naturally careful with it.  I chose the black cable that has a brown thread running through one of the weaves.  Steve told me that the cable with the brown spots was for the right side, so it's an easy (but subtle) way to indicate which side to connect.

The sound...I am still trying to figure out how to describe the sound, other than to say it's the best sounding cable I have ever used (I have tried the new Aude'ze cable, Norse 8-wire cable, Silver and Blue Dragon cables).  The sound is not lacking in bass, mids, or highs...I find it to be very musical, but with a hint of detail that I like.  I only have about 20 hours on the cable but I have to agree with kwkarth, it truly is one of the best cables available for the LCD-2.  Thanks for having excellent service and making an outstanding product, Steve!

The above is all IMHO and YMMV (but I doubt by much...)

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 2, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #289 of 2,398
I agree with all that, HK Sends. The Q Audio cable for LCD-2 is my favorite aftermarket cable. Sounds absolutely excellent, and the best ergonomically of the bunch, too. All of the aftermarket cables are very good, but the Q is the best sounding AND best ergonomically, IMHO. I think highly of the others as well, but my preference is for the Q Audio.

May 3, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #292 of 2,398

Quote:
I agree with all that, HK Sends. The Q Audio cable for LCD-2 is my favorite aftermarket cable. Sounds absolutely excellent, and the best ergonomically of the bunch, too. All of the aftermarket cables are very good, but the Q is the best sounding AND best ergonomically, IMHO. I think highly of the others as well, but my preference is for the Q Audio.

What is a good length for a Q Audio cable for the LCD's.   I'm so new to headphones that I don't know what a good length is.  What lengths do folks use?  Is there a standard length?  

May 3, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #293 of 2,398
Quote:

What is a good length for a Q Audio cable for the LCD's.   I'm so new to headphones that I don't know what a good length is.  What lengths do folks use?  Is there a standard length?  

I got the 2.5 meter (8.2 feet) cable, which is plenty long enough for me.  Anything shorter than...say...six feet might not be long enough to maneuver if you listen any distance away from your amp.
Of course, if you have a portable setup, you might want a shorter cable so you don't have to wrangle the cable when you move around.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 4, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #294 of 2,398

Quote:
I got the 2.5 meter (8.2 feet) cable, which is plenty long enough for me.  Anything shorter than...say...six feet might not be long enough to maneuver if you listen any distance away from your amp.
Of course, if you have a portable setup, you might want a shorter cable so you don't have to wrangle the cable when you move around.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Thanks, I plan on reclining into nirvana near the set up.  I wasn't sure if long lengths degrade the signal to the headphones.

May 4, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #295 of 2,398
i received my 3m brown q-cable "brown magic"
wink.gif
, in the mail today. I have to back up what ive read in this thread, it really opened up the lcd2s in every way. Great upgrade from ADZ5. Thanks Steve 

May 5, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #298 of 2,398
How much is the q audio cable?

May 5, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #299 of 2,398
Quote:

How much is the q audio cable?

New pricing is:

1. 1.0M - $200
  2. 1.5M - $215
  3. 2.0M - $230
  4. 2.5M - $250 
  5. 3.0M - $275 
  6. 3.5M - $300 
  7. 4.0M - $340

I will say if you need an adapter (I got the balanced to single-ended), that's an extra $30.  At his original prices the adapter would have been included, but at this newer lower price, there was no way Steve could afford it.
I ordered my 2.5 meter cable terminated with a balanced 4-pin XLR connector for the future, so I needed to get the single ended adapter for now.  It is well worth the money.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 7, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #300 of 2,398
Quote:
Now, the set I made for a customer in golden yellow, those were a bit more to look at.

The Q Cables are outstanding, they are both transparent in weight as well as sound.

My experience with purchasing from Steve was outstanding.  He was friendly, professional, and most of all responsive. 

Here are some pictures of the cables he mentioned in golden yellow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back