LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Mar 30, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #2,221 of 2,398

Quote:
ianmedium said:

Anyone know the conductor dimensions of this wire?  I have seen reference somewhere to 2:1 cross section for the Kimber rectangular copper cables, which for 24 AWG would then mean 0.64 x 0.32 mm conductor?

Ideally if someone could put a caliper to one of these that would be more reliable than my back of envelope calculation (I have a couple of SMC connectors lying around to suite RG58 coaxial cables with c.a 20AWG center conductor)

This picture's rectangular wire is 24AWG but I won't be stocking this.  I decided against using that size after discovering someone else was planning on using that gauge.
I do have some 24AWG silver rectangular wire here (which I do not sell, again as someone else uses it) which was bought for R&D and as both wires are from the same company I think both would be the same size. 

The 24AWG silver measures in at 0.77mm x 0.25mm with my micro meter.

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #2,222 of 2,398

Quote:

Anyone know the conductor dimensions of this wire?  I have seen reference somewhere to 2:1 cross section for the Kimber rectangular copper cables, which for 24 AWG would then mean 0.64 x 0.32 mm conductor?

Ideally if someone could put a caliper to one of these that would be more reliable than my back of envelope calculation (I have a couple of SMC connectors lying around to suite RG58 coaxial cables with c.a 20AWG center conductor)

This picture's rectangular wire is 24AWG but I won't be stocking this.  I decided against using that size after discovering someone else was planning on using that gauge.
I do have some 24AWG silver rectangular wire here (which I do not sell, again as someone else uses it) which was bought for R&D and as both wires are from the same company I think both would be the same size. 

but what if you mix the 24 awg normal wire with the rectangular silver wire ? is that good

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #2,224 of 2,398

Quote:

Thanks for the info!  That wire should fit the HE-6 connector I am using without need to modify.

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #2,225 of 2,398
Edit: I was going to remove this review but there's enough facts to warrant keeping most of it. I considered removing it after discovering that I hadn't given this cable anywhere near enough time to burn in properly. So I'll do another review once this cable has had the time it needs to reach the performance it's capable of. 

This is the first of my reviews of the range of Toxic Cables, and it's focusing on their pure copper base model priced at £75.

I'll just go over the look and feel of the cable now, and I must say it scores very highly on both counts. The connectors are very high quality, including a 6.3mm ViaBlue jack, and all feel reassuringly "solid". The cable is simply 4 fine stranded copper conductors in clear sheaths, litz braided together. It looks very fine and delicate, the feel is also fine - but I'm confident this cable would give a good few years of faultless service - and take a bit of punishment along the way! Plugging it into my LCD-2's (rev.1) the connectors slip in smoothly and lock firmly. They look and feel really classy! After that, it's easy to forget that they exist, as they are incredibly light, they slide smoothly over clothing and furniture, but without a hint of microphonics. And once they've completed their burn in, I'll let you know what they sound like!

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #2,226 of 2,398
^ Great review, thank you!

Frank sent me a picture of the new version silver poison cable he has made for me. Hopefully Canada post won't take too much longer!

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #2,229 of 2,398
yeah, I reckon Frank could go into a side line of making this stuff into necklaces and bracelets for us Audio nuts!

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #2,231 of 2,398

Quote:
This is the first of my reviews of the range of Toxic Cables, and it's focusing on their pure copper base model priced at £75...

So you say a £75 cable beats the stock cable of the LCDs? Or it's not? I think the men from audeze know what are doing and it's not impossible a £75 cable to best their choise but I personally will stay with the "ugly" original. :)

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #2,232 of 2,398
I'm not worried about the sound difference between cables. But looking to upgrade cable on reports of it being ugly heavy?
Anyone know where can buy cable and make your own and if you can use the stock connectors with a new DIY cable?

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #2,234 of 2,398
We have a saying in Britain and its called "cooking on gas"! Which basically means the person is red hot, of the moment and fully connected! Why do I say this? I think our friend Frank is one of those!

Check this other cable he showed me out, I would have loved it only it is too big to used with the balanced connector needed for my SR71-B, it's the eight wire silver poison, Man, I have to get a balanced home amp sometime:D

Like I said before, Frank could turn this stuff into jewellery for Audiophiles :D

And a close-up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back