LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
Mar 27, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #2,207 of 2,398

Quote:
Also on a side note about the new rectangular copper cable as I asked about that in consideration to the silver poison Frank reckons it is going to come in around the $200 mark for a 6 foot length HP cable and the design will be similar to the Venom/ Venom 4.

I just had a talk with Frank, he says that it should be ready in 1-2 weeks time. I'm probably going to pick up one of the first units. 

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #2,208 of 2,398
I just had a talk with Frank, he says that it should be ready in 1-2 weeks time. I'm probably going to pick up one of the first units. 

Excellent. I am really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it!

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #2,209 of 2,398
Hopefully Frank has done adequate R&D for preventing possible kinking and damage to the rectangular after some normal wear and tear to the cable.

Quote:

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #2,210 of 2,398
I am sure Frank has done so. His cables are first class when it comes to sonics and build quality I have found.

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #2,211 of 2,398

Whilst staying within the MOT rules.  I can only refer you to the current flagship description and say of course I thoroughly R&D'd this as it was a main concern and design issue.

Quote:
Hopefully Frank has done adequate R&D for preventing possible kinking and damage to the rectangular after some normal wear and tear to the cable.

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #2,212 of 2,398
Hey Frank. Great to see you here and as an MOT. Your cables are awesome mate, can't wait for my new one to get here!

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #2,214 of 2,398
Hi folks, just to let you know, Frank has entrusted me with a couple of demo copper and silver-plated-copper LCD2/3 cables from Toxic Cables, for review. The Silver Poison, and Venom cables will follow. The cables need a day or two to burn in, so please bear with me, but I'll post the results asap.

In case anyone is wondering, no I'm not getting paid to do this, and yes, my reviews will be entirely honest and unbiased. Whether they're any good is a different matter!
wink_face.gif

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #2,215 of 2,398

Quote:
Obviously, but an LCD-2 without enough bass, seriously?

Seriously.
When I received my LCD-2s and after 20-30hrs burn-in I was wandering if I read about the same headphones in all these monumental threads. I was expecting warm, dark-sounding and bassy heaphones but what I'm actually hearing is well balanced mid-centric sound with well extended but lean bass. I seriously suspect I received some next revision of LCD-2.
P.S.: Gear used: Cary 306 SACD, Pioneer PD-9300 (modded), Audio-GD-FUN DAC/amp, Meier Audio Corda Prehead, Violectric HPA V200, many ICs and power cables.

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #2,216 of 2,398
The LCD3 isn't as warm as people say with a good neutral amp and source.  With some material they have really frighteningly strong bass.  But it's definitely not overdone...I think the earpads also seal better than others which helps reinforce the bass.  If you have a HD800 to compare side by side with it, then it's going to sound pretty warm by comparison.

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #2,217 of 2,398

Quote:
The LCD3 isn't as warm as people say with a good neutral amp and source.  With some material they have really frighteningly strong bass.  But it's definitely not overdone...I think the earpads also seal better than others which helps reinforce the bass.  If you have a HD800 to compare side by side with it, then it's going to sound pretty warm by comparison.

^ agreed.
smile.gif
The LCD-3s are more chameleon-like than the LCD-2s as well. On my GS-1 (about as neutral an amp that there is IMO), they sound darn neutral to my ears. Depending on the tubes I use on my WA22, I can get them fairly close to that sound too. Overall they are still my favourite pair of headphones since I got them in November.

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #2,218 of 2,398
Quote:
Hi folks, just to let you know, Frank has entrusted me with a couple of demo copper and silver-plated-copper LCD2/3 cables from Toxic Cables, for review. The Silver Poison, and Venom cables will follow. The cables need a day or two to burn in, so please bear with me, but I'll post the results asap.

In case anyone is wondering, no I'm not getting paid to do this, and yes, my reviews will be entirely honest and unbiased. Whether they're any good is a different matter!
wink_face.gif

I'd love to compare the Venom with the red astrachan that I'm currently reviewing. I guess I'll need to buy the Venom though...
triportsad.gif

I guess I can get the Venom with a 4 pin XLR plus a 4 pin XLR to 1/4" jack plug adapter?

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #2,219 of 2,398

Quote:

Anyone know the conductor dimensions of this wire?  I have seen reference somewhere to 2:1 cross section for the Kimber rectangular copper cables, which for 24 AWG would then mean 0.64 x 0.32 mm conductor?

Ideally if someone could put a caliper to one of these that would be more reliable than my back of envelope calculation (I have a couple of SMC connectors lying around to suite RG58 coaxial cables with c.a 20AWG center conductor)

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #2,220 of 2,398
I think it's flatter than 2:1.  I'm pretty sure I have some of this exact same wire, I can measure it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back