La Figaro 339
May 6, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #4,126 of 6,903
Thanks for having a look @wwmf. I'll try them out and make a little review. Unfortunately, I do not have much to compare with yet but one must start somewhere and the only way to get into the game is to try things out. But that's the fun (and somtimes expensive) part of the game as well. :)

Yes, "try things out" is very import for this hobby.

I should have read your post a little more carefully. I though you were going to buy those Mullard. Because a tube usually is more expensive if it has "Mullard" on it, and I just would like to suggest that there were many choices for 6080 out there and you can easily find good ones.

Since you are lucky to have those Mullards already, enjoy them.

May 6, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #4,127 of 6,903
My experience is that among each type of tubes such as 6AS7G, 6080, 7236, ect, the differences are not as much between difference brands as between different models. What I mean is that 6AS7G, 6080 tubes will sound more similar, but a 6080 tube and 7236 tube will sound more obviously different. I listened to 6080 tubes with and without copper rod, they sounded close to me, if there were any differences.

May 6, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #4,128 of 6,903
I occasionally chat with the owner/circuit designer at La Figaro and can provide some information regarding recent comments...

Any oddities you find in packaging are likely due to customs opening/inspecting the package and/or mishandling during shipment. La Figaro packs them a certain way and then they are sent to a 3rd party logistics company that is responsible for importing internationally. I'm pretty certain the massdrop orders are brokered by shenzhen audio so those might get handled differently.

I don't know that the website referring to variants of the amp as "bright" vs "warm" is accurate. I don't know anyone that has heard the so called "bright" version (6J4P, 6SJ7, 5693, 6Ж4С) and referred to it as bright. If you ask the circuit designer, he thinks the 6C5, 6J5, 6J5G, 6J5GT, L63 version is better and that's his preference. From what I gather, that version is more expensive to build (electrically and probably supplying tubes) so maybe it's easier to ship the 6J4P version internationally. The 6C5, 6J5, 6J5G, 6J5GT, L63 version is basically the 6SN7 version of the amp (a well regarded tube that people are familiar with in tube audio). A 6C5/6J5 is one half of a 6SN7. Since this is a dual mono design, it uses two 6C5/6J5 (so while that tube may seem obscure, it's really not).

This amp has been in production for a long time (even dating back to the DV337 which was designed by the same person who did the 339). The designer very much has a continuous improvement approach and not a one-off, flavor of the month approach. The differences between the versions are minor so I wouldn't fret too much about it. However, the most recent iteration is not shown on their website, but I'll attach a picture below. The difference being the vishay film capacitors (two green capacitors). You should be able to tell if your model has them without removing the bottom panel.

Confirmed that this is what was received in last drop on massdrop for 650.00 :) Man, if yuking could get a decent website and communicate better with us folks in the states, I think he would do really well...

May 6, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #4,128 of 6,903
I occasionally chat with the owner/circuit designer at La Figaro and can provide some information regarding recent comments...

Any oddities you find in packaging are likely due to customs opening/inspecting the package and/or mishandling during shipment. La Figaro packs them a certain way and then they are sent to a 3rd party logistics company that is responsible for importing internationally. I'm pretty certain the massdrop orders are brokered by shenzhen audio so those might get handled differently.

I don't know that the website referring to variants of the amp as "bright" vs "warm" is accurate. I don't know anyone that has heard the so called "bright" version (6J4P, 6SJ7, 5693, 6Ж4С) and referred to it as bright. If you ask the circuit designer, he thinks the 6C5, 6J5, 6J5G, 6J5GT, L63 version is better and that's his preference. From what I gather, that version is more expensive to build (electrically and probably supplying tubes) so maybe it's easier to ship the 6J4P version internationally. The 6C5, 6J5, 6J5G, 6J5GT, L63 version is basically the 6SN7 version of the amp (a well regarded tube that people are familiar with in tube audio). A 6C5/6J5 is one half of a 6SN7. Since this is a dual mono design, it uses two 6C5/6J5 (so while that tube may seem obscure, it's really not).

This amp has been in production for a long time (even dating back to the DV337 which was designed by the same person who did the 339). The designer very much has a continuous improvement approach and not a one-off, flavor of the month approach. The differences between the versions are minor so I wouldn't fret too much about it. However, the most recent iteration is not shown on their website, but I'll attach a picture below. The difference being the vishay film capacitors (two green capacitors). You should be able to tell if your model has them without removing the bottom panel.

Confirmed that this is what was received in last drop on massdrop for 650.00 :) Man, if yuking could get a decent website and communicate better with us folks in the states, I think he would do really well...

May 6, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #4,129 of 6,903

I Confirmed that this is what was received in last drop on massdrop for 650.00 :) Man, if yuking could get a decent website and communicate better with us folks in the states, I think he would do really well...

May 6, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #4,130 of 6,903
Is it important that the Chatham 6AS7G is the copper rod version? Lieven suggested me to buy the Chatham or the black plate Rca. Not sure what the latter exactly refers to. I've ordered the Mullard 6080 one to test it out. Will also look into the thread as you mentioned about the modded 6J4) version.

All of the Chatham 6AS7G's I have in my collection have bottom getters and copper rods (made in the 50's I believe). That's the only thing I have experience with so I can't give any comparison to potential variants. I also like the black plate RCA's and Sylvania's (probably made by RCA) but the Chatham is my favorite. As far as RCA black/grey plate, check this thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/for-6as7g-tube-rollers-here.410326/page-261

There's a couple of pictures that show the two. Black plates are older and all the bases I've seen have grey print. Grey plates are newer and all of the bases I've seen have colored print (mainly red). That 6AS7G thread is pretty good reading for all things 6AS7G/6080/5998/421A/6520/7236/etc

Last edited:
May 7, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #4,133 of 6,903
May 8, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #4,135 of 6,903
1) The 95W was a total, both section of amp ON combined power outlets.
I did another measurement with different set of tubes (7236&5693) and the result is similar.
Power voltage AC 233.1V, 96.9Watt or 114V/A and power factor is 0.850
As you see already Xmdkq(Yuking) confirm that 300Watt (real watts not V/A!) converter could be enough.

2) The voltage tolerance in tube amps should not be so much critical i mean +/- 10-15V is acceptable.For eg. if the voltage power is less/or more then the acceptable tolerance it will affect the output voltage the same happened to the filament which are directly AC heated from transformer( there is no
regulator to compensate the difference in voltage)
But some step-up/down transformer like my one have the input voltage regulated by switching the jumper in steps of 10V so you can adjusted the output voltage required to power your amplifier.

I found the Wattage of the 339 back on page 90. I searched the thread earlier for watt and nothing came up. I just now decided to try my hand at what Google would turn up and I found this post linked on another site. So, I'll use about 100 watts in my calculations for a UPS.

May 9, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #4,136 of 6,903
I found the Wattage of the 339 back on page 90. I searched the thread earlier for watt and nothing came up. I just now decided to try my hand at what Google would turn up and I found this post linked on another site. So, I'll use about 100 watts in my calculations for a UPS.

Hi Mizicke,
the power consumption of the lf339 is roughly about 100 Watts but that's not count the high input current drawn by charging capacitors in 339 power supply at turn-on. I am afraid that 100W ups or any other AC power source will be too overloaded, triggering protection circuits in your ups and cuts the power off. I would not connect anything smaller then 300 Watts.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #4,138 of 6,903
May 12, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #4,139 of 6,903
Am a rookie here and have a question: Just to be sure, this adapter fit all input drivers on all LF339? I mean I can't find the '6SJ7' as part of my configuration. Is this equivalent with 6J4P? I'm interested as I want to change to a Telefunken EF80. All these numbers :). I'll learn it sooner or later :)

If you have the La Figaro 339 with the 6SJ7 sockets, you will need an adapter to use EF80 tubes. An EF80 to 6SJ7 tube adapter is what you need to get.

May 12, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #4,140 of 6,903
Randomly chime in and say that I have been very pleased with the La Figaro 339 driving both the HD650's and HE-500's.

Plus, I mean. . .those tubes. . .

9937726_l.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back