La Figaro 339
Mar 29, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #6,361 of 6,903
Thank you for the wise words. I currently have the Focal Stellia's. Considering the ZMF Closed Verite's in the future. I had a darkvoice that I used with the Stellia's and I thought they sounded great together. I am curious to see how the Stellia's would sound with a "better" tube amp.

I have both 339i and Stellia. In general I think Stellia works better with solid state (or hybrid amp) than the OTL tube amp.

My Ether Flow Open is also a low impedance hp but it works quite well with 339i, so probably it is other design factors (sensitivity, closed vs open, etc).

ZMF in general matches 339i quite well. I did not hear this Verite Closed + 339i combination though.

Mar 29, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #6,362 of 6,903
What is your preferred tube combination for the 339i if you don't mind me asking.
Currently using Telefunken 6080 with Mullard EF86 (you will need socket adapter) but depending on mood and music style you may use others.

Mar 29, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #6,363 of 6,903
I have both 339i and Stellia. In general I think Stellia works better with solid state (or hybrid amp) than the OTL tube amp.

My Ether Flow Open is also a low impedance hp but it works quite well with 339i, so probably it is other design factors (sensitivity, closed vs open, etc).

ZMF in general matches 339i quite well. I did not hear this Verite Closed + 339i combination though.
The thing is, I already have it setup with the Topping A90 and D90, and it sounds so lifeless, boring, and narrow... When I had my Darkvoice it was wider, warmer, and life-like. Maybe switching the dac to a gungnir with multi bit with the A90 might have better results. But as it sits now, I am not enjoying my Stellia's with solid state.

Mar 29, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #6,365 of 6,903
The thing is, I already have it setup with the Topping A90 and D90, and it sounds so lifeless, boring, and narrow... When I had my Darkvoice it was wider, warmer, and life-like. Maybe switching the dac to a gungnir with multi bit with the A90 might have better results. But as it sits now, I am not enjoying my Stellia's with solid state.

D90 + A90 is too neutral (but I only heard it once, and not with Stellia). A hybrid amp or a tube preamp might make you happier.

My Stellia has been on shelf for a few months. Last time I used it was to try the new Dekoni limited edition pad, but it was back to Shelf the second day :frowning2:

Mar 29, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #6,366 of 6,903
D90 + A90 is too neutral (but I only heard it once, and not with Stellia). A hybrid amp or a tube preamp might make you happier.

My Stellia has been on shelf for a few months. Last time I used it was to try the new Dekoni limited edition pad, but it was back to Shelf the second day :frowning2:
So that brings me to another question. How well do the 339i's perform as a preamp? Would the a90 and d90 combination synergize well with the 339i?

Mar 29, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #6,367 of 6,903
So that brings me to another question. How well do the 339i's perform as a preamp? Would the a90 and d90 combination synergize well with the 339i?

I did not own A90 so I was not able to test this combination. But more than one very senior members in this thread tested 339i + SP200 (or THX 789) and recommended this combination.

I personally found it practical to use SP200 as the amp for low impedance hp, to get better bass.

In high impedance hp it might be better to plug in to 339i directly, but you might still find the 339i+SP200 useful because you can get the best out of both tube and ss amp. Certainly this depends on your listening preference and the gear combination.

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #6,368 of 6,903
I did not own A90 so I was not able to test this combination. But more than one very senior members in this thread tested 339i + SP200 (or THX 789) and recommended this combination.

I personally found it practical to use SP200 as the amp for low impedance hp, to get better bass.

In high impedance hp it might be better to plug in to 339i directly, but you might still find the 339i+SP200 useful because you can get the best out of both tube and ss amp. Certainly this depends on your listening preference and the gear combination.
Thank you.

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #6,369 of 6,903
Thank you.

Confirmed that 339i will not work with Stellia. Tried a few tubes (5998, Bendix 6080, and Mullard 6080).

The main reason imho is the sensitivity (108db / mw). Compared to the Ether flow open 90db/mw, or the he560 (sane 90 db/mw but 50 ohm), Stellia is much sensitive to the microphonic and the tube internal noise. If you tab the 339i you can hear the mental-hitting noise from the headphone.

339i is fine as the preamp out and you can use other amps. My SP200 disappeared (most likely hidden somewhere in the closet), so cannot do the testing. But IIRC it is fine.

Again I think in general Stellia does not work well with OTL due to its sensitivity. Focal designed this as a portable luxury hp rather than a studio gear.

Mar 30, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #6,370 of 6,903
Confirmed that 339i will not work with Stellia. Tried a few tubes (5998, Bendix 6080, and Mullard 6080).

The main reason imho is the sensitivity (108db / mw). Compared to the Ether flow open 90db/mw, or the he560 (sane 90 db/mw but 50 ohm), Stellia is much sensitive to the microphonic and the tube internal noise. If you tab the 339i you can hear the mental-hitting noise from the headphone.

339i is fine as the preamp out and you can use other amps. My SP200 disappeared (most likely hidden somewhere in the closet), so cannot do the testing. But IIRC it is fine.

Again I think in general Stellia does not work well with OTL due to its sensitivity. Focal designed this as a portable luxury hp rather than a studio gear.
Dang, that sucks. Was really looking forward to pairing them with the Stellia's. Guess the 339i's will be solely on preamp duty until I get cans that are more suited for it. I'm also expecting the Hagerman Tuba's soon. I guess I can use the Tuba as the dedicated tube amp for my Stellia's. So it's more microphonic with the Stellia? Unbearably so?

Mar 31, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #6,372 of 6,903
Considering one of these amps, but my main concern is build quality because of how annoying and expensive the warranty work would be (US to China). Are these amps known for good initial build quality and no long term issues?

Mar 31, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #6,373 of 6,903
339i is on Drop again, but 830$ instead of 750$ couple of days before. But this time both silver and black 220V are available (last time only black). It is a bit strange, because manufacturer's site (I suppose that http://www.yuking09.com/ is a manufacturer) is still in half-dead state.

The manufacturer site almost never mentioned 339i so don't bother. This amp is almost like built-on-demand.

Mar 31, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #6,374 of 6,903
Considering one of these amps, but my main concern is build quality because of how annoying and expensive the warranty work would be (US to China). Are these amps known for good initial build quality and no long term issues?

The notable short term issue is the broken or non-functioning stock tubes during shipping. It does not bother most of us much because you inevitably buy more expensive and better tubes anyways.

There is 1 case that I heard (from Drop IIRC) about the potential fire hazard.

There is 1 case about malfunctioning and the amp ends up with being a paperweight (warranty expired).

Others are happy cases. The build quality is great and comparable to other tube amps at the price point of $1k+.

It is certainly your choice of 339i with limited warranty, or Woo Audio WA2 with 3 years warranty but 2x expensive (now 1.5x -- Drop increased the price).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back