La Figaro 339
Apr 1, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #6,391 of 6,903
ShenzhenAudio is good, I had to wait a couple extra weeks after ordering from there, but they did their own QA testing and asked Yuking for a 2nd unit because the 1st was not acceptable to them.

Shipping from ShenzhenAudio was in perfect condition and took only a few days to Australia.
I had the same experience.
I also had to wait a bit longer due to their QA and I was also able to price match from the drop.com price.
Once shipped it took only 2-3 days from China to U.S. via DHL.
DHL handles their packages very well I might add from my experiences anyway.

I think you and I got ours around the same time @adeadcrab?
I went through Shenzen Audio after drop.com backed out of the deal as they could not fulfill the order.

Apr 1, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #6,392 of 6,903
If you live in Europe @bpiotrow13 I think is still selling his original modded 339i with the 6SJ7 sockets. Only real difference between his and 339i is no preamp out which is not a big deal for some.
He is even including better tubes and adapters.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-la-figaro-339.954355/#post-16265055
Yeah, I am still wondering if to sell it:)) It is awesome but I am not using it at the moment as it seems my Meze plays with Ayon HA3 with better synergy.

Apart from that I am shocked when I am looking at the pictures of this new La Figaro.... It seems somebody just put it in the box without reelly caring about tubes.. The amp also seems tired....

Apr 1, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #6,393 of 6,903
If you live in Europe @bpiotrow13 I think is still selling his original modded 339i with the 6SJ7 sockets. Only real difference between his and 339i is no preamp out which is not a big deal for some.
He is even including better tubes and adapters.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-la-figaro-339.954355/#post-16265055
I am in the states unfortunately, but I did come across this today, and I am intrigued. https://www.audiogon.com/listings/l...-tube-headphone-amplifier-headphone-amps-dacs

Apr 1, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #6,394 of 6,903
"This is Drop Support. Thank you for contacting us! I sincerely apologize that the tubes to your amplifier arrived damaged and I am happy to help.

It looks like there is no inventory to send out as a replacement. That being said, we do have a couple other options for you to choose from:

A.) You can keep your order as-is and we can issue a Drop credit for $25.
B.) You can keep your order as-is and we can issue a partial refund for $20.
C.) You can return your entire unit for a refund at no additional cost to you.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed and I can get the process started. I look forward to your response."

25 dollars... 20 dollars... If I return the unit, I would probably place the order from Shenzhen audio, but that would take weeks for it to arrive... what would you do guys?

Apr 1, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #6,395 of 6,903
"This is Drop Support. Thank you for contacting us! I sincerely apologize that the tubes to your amplifier arrived damaged and I am happy to help.

It looks like there is no inventory to send out as a replacement. That being said, we do have a couple other options for you to choose from:

A.) You can keep your order as-is and we can issue a Drop credit for $25.
B.) You can keep your order as-is and we can issue a partial refund for $20.
C.) You can return your entire unit for a refund at no additional cost to you.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed and I can get the process started. I look forward to your response."

25 dollars... 20 dollars... If I return the unit, I would probably place the order from Shenzhen audio, but that would take weeks for it to arrive... what would you do guys?
Return the unit, drop Drop, order from Shenzhen...if you really want the LF339.

Apr 1, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #6,397 of 6,903
Return it....I wouldnt accept the pity $20-25 offer. You will have buyer's remorse otherwise. It is best to return it and leave them with the mess. Then take your invoice and send it to Shenzen Audio to see if they will match the price that you bought it for at drop.

You can do that now to see what they will offer.

Drop.com used to be a lot better when it was massdrop.com.

EDIT: They are actually cheaper than drop.com right now. No brainer and Shenzen will do the QA for you.
https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...er-tube-amplifier?_pos=1&_sid=2b92f8cc4&_ss=r

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #6,398 of 6,903
I think the fault is on the Drop side. When I first got my unit, the tube was not broken but did not work at all. I complained and go the same reply (without $$ compensation!)

They package might be safe from domestic shipping (e.g., between Chengdu to Shenzhen) however it is not safe for international. Drop apparently just take it as the same type as a headphone and simply forwards it.

Given the order volume (34 all together so far in Drop), the customer service does not give it a crap.

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #6,399 of 6,903
Return it....I wouldnt accept the pity $20-25 offer. You will have buyer's remorse otherwise. It is best to return it and leave them with the mess. Then take your invoice and send it to Shenzen Audio to see if they will match the price that you bought it for at drop.

You can do that now to see what they will offer.

Drop.com used to be a lot better when it was massdrop.com.

EDIT: They are actually cheaper than drop.com right now. No brainer and Shenzen will do the QA for you.
https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...er-tube-amplifier?_pos=1&_sid=2b92f8cc4&_ss=r
You're probably right, but I put some tubes I had lying around and it works fine. I unscrewed the bottom plate and checked the internals, and it looks well put together. I took a air blower and blew out any glass particles still left. It sounds pretty good after the clean up. I was just shocked in the condition it arrived and then the gall to offer $20 to 25 dollars in store credit as a conciliatory gesture. It sounds better on my hd600's than my Stellia's. Still kind of sad about that. Oh, and the right volume knob was extremely wobbly, but it appears that the hex screw on top of the dial is adjustable, so I tightened it up. I might keep it, just to save me the hassle...

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #6,400 of 6,903
You're probably right, but I put some tubes I had lying around and it works fine. I unscrewed the bottom plate and checked the internals, and it looks well put together. I took a air blower and blew out any glass particles still left. It sounds pretty good after the clean up. I was just shocked in the condition it arrived and then the gall to offer $20 to 25 dollars in store credit as a conciliatory gesture. It sounds better on my hd600's than my Stellia's. Still kind of sad about that. Oh, and the right volume knob was extremely wobbly, but it appears that the hex screw on top of the dial is adjustable, so I tightened it up. I might keep it, just to save me the hassle...
Yep those are set screws in the knobs and as a first cheap and easy mod you can change the knobs out if you prefer to some color you like...you can check Amazon for guitar knobs, amp knobs, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/822BD628-E568-411A-A421-8C4F2784E393/?_encoding=UTF8&store_ref=SB_A0000551DF76TVJ9KGLO&pd_rd_plhdr=t&aaxitk=pA6WeurwVXcdo6iD7-1G7g&hsa_cr_id=3585382900701&lp_asins=B07VFB96RX,B08LY8DJTG,B07VDC53JS&lp_query=amp knob&lp_slot=desktop-hsa-3psl&ref_=sbx_be_s_3psl_mbd_asin&pd_rd_w=grhMT&pf_rd_p=515d4d08-a55f-4ce4-8aea-990478980b7d&pd_rd_wg=wdwmu&pf_rd_r=AF2W2CQJ1ZE8F14WVWJR&pd_rd_r=acdd8975-4d2d-4b36-b974-ae00242bcd82&productGridPageIndex=2

I went with these on mine:
1617299755185.png

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #6,404 of 6,903
I didn't like the 339i as a preamp for the focal stellias. You lose detail (what the stellia's are famous for) while not getting enough of what you would want from a tube amp.

I don't disagree with your judgement. Is the winged-c tube part of the problem? This tube blurs some of the details imho. 5693 is also not famous for the details.

GEC 6AS7G is the ultimate rescue if this is the case. I think a TS 6AS7G + TS 6SJ7GT can be the stepping stone.

Apr 1, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #6,405 of 6,903
I don't disagree with your judgement. Is the winged-c tube part of the problem? This tube blurs some of the details imho. 5693 is also not famous for the details.

GEC 6AS7G is the ultimate rescue if this is the case. I think a TS 6AS7G + TS 6SJ7GT can be the stepping stone.
Yeah possibly, I have a pair of mullard 6080's as well as a pair of tung sol 5998's coming soon (hopefully).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back