La Figaro 339
Mar 11, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #6,346 of 6,903
Rediscovering Tung Sol 6080WA

I have a pair of NOS Tung Sol 6080WA since almost the day 1 I have LF 339i. I paid "big bucks" for them (well, at that time yes, I thought $100 a pair was my max) but was disappointed so they were sitting in their wraps for ages till tonight.

This tube happened to be discussed in other thread (6AS7G), and it sounded like it needs to pair a good driver tube. Well, what was changed now and then is that I have a lot of driver tubes -- EF80, EF86, 6SJ7GT, 5693, compared to only the stock tubes (Russian tubes) I have at that time.

First attempt: EF86, the "best I ever have".
Results: disaster! Thin and dry.

Second attempt: 5693, the hot rod.
Results: disappointed! cannot describe much but not happy.

Third attempt: my $2 cheap 6SJ7GT.
Results: soft, no feeling of power compared to the EF86

End of the night? Wait, to do a proper A/B testing, the volume should be comparable. EF86 certainly gives higher gain than others so my effective volume actually keep going down.

Repeat the 3rd attempt, and adjust the 6SJ7GT to the similar volume as the EF86, and Wow! So great in vocal, orchestral soundstage, pops, and movie music.

Happy ever after in the rest of my playlist.

Given it is only ~$60 for a good pair in ebay, it is back to my A list.

Now I might need to resume my chase of the affordable TS 6SJ7GT mesh....

PXL_20210312_043348874.jpg

Mar 12, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #6,347 of 6,903
Rediscovering Tung Sol 6080WA

I have a pair of NOS Tung Sol 6080WA since almost the day 1 I have LF 339i. I paid "big bucks" for them (well, at that time yes, I thought $100 a pair was my max) but was disappointed so they were sitting in their wraps for ages till tonight.

This tube happened to be discussed in other thread (6AS7G), and it sounded like it needs to pair a good driver tube. Well, what was changed now and then is that I have a lot of driver tubes -- EF80, EF86, 6SJ7GT, 5693, compared to only the stock tubes (Russian tubes) I have at that time.

First attempt: EF86, the "best I ever have".
Results: disaster! Thin and dry.

Second attempt: 5693, the hot rod.
Results: disappointed! cannot describe much but not happy.

Third attempt: my $2 cheap 6SJ7GT.
Results: soft, no feeling of power compared to the EF86

End of the night? Wait, to do a proper A/B testing, the volume should be comparable. EF86 certainly gives higher gain than others so my effective volume actually keep going down.

Repeat the 3rd attempt, and adjust the 6SJ7GT to the similar volume as the EF86, and Wow! So great in vocal, orchestral soundstage, pops, and movie music.

Happy ever after in the rest of my playlist.

Given it is only ~$60 for a good pair in ebay, it is back to my A list.

Now I might need to resume my chase of the affordable TS 6SJ7GT mesh....

If you don't mid a bit of rust...here ya go. I saw these earlier today, then read your post and looks like a match.
Not to expensive and you might even be able to clean some of the rust off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Tung-...879325?hash=item5967e0dd5d:g:mkwAAOSwEbhgPofA

You can always put a piece of electrical tape on the metal to hide it too.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #6,348 of 6,903
If you don't mid a bit of rust...here ya go. I saw these earlier today, then read your post and looks like a match.
Not to expensive and you might even be able to clean some of the rust off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Tung-...879325?hash=item5967e0dd5d:g:mkwAAOSwEbhgPofA

You can always put a piece of electrical tape on the metal to hide it too.

Thanks! Reading seems a bit low.

My fleabay saved search kept reminding this pair too. Not many popped up in the past few months, sadly!

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #6,349 of 6,903
Hi guys, I thought I remembered that there is a new version of the 339 within the last 6 months to a year but I can't find the discussion. I think It had to do with some guys splitting up and doing their own thing.

Can anybody confirm or deny this? Thank you.

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #6,350 of 6,903
Hi guys, I thought I remembered that there is a new version of the 339 within the last 6 months to a year but I can't find the discussion. I think It had to do with some guys splitting up and doing their own thing.

Can anybody confirm or deny this? Thank you.
Are you taking about 339i ?

This thread became a mixture of these two.

Mar 12, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #6,351 of 6,903
Hmm I'm not sure. Is there more than one 339 in production now?

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #6,352 of 6,903
Hmm I'm not sure. Is there more than one 339 in production now?
Here is the story and it has been repeated in this thread a few times.

@xmdkq is one of the original designers of the Dark Voice, but due to disagreements in the original company, they parted ways and he started a new company, Chengdu Yuqin Audio and Video Studio, which makes the La Figaro, and other products.

The 339 was the original that many have pictures on this thread with a different tube configuration for the drivers.

The 339i was then later developed in late 2019 and the 339 retired.
The 339i offers a preamp out to its features and has a 6SJ7 driver but other than that is the same as the 339.

Read here for more info: http://www.yuking09.com/about/

Mar 13, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #6,353 of 6,903
Thank you.

Mar 28, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #6,355 of 6,903
La Figaro 339i with nos tungsol 5998's and red rca 5693 or zmf pendant? Which would you guys choose? Drop had the 339i's in stock recently for 750.00.
Welcome to Head-Fi!

There may be some bias in this thread as most of us in this thread own the 339i or have owned one. The 339i is a fine amp in the OTL class of amps but you need to pair them with the right type of headphones. If you are mentioning the ZMF Pendant than can I assume you have ZMF headphones? The Pendant is a fine amp as well . The big differences are in where they are built and cost. I cannot comment on the Pendant as I have never owned one but both amps will send you down the path of tube rolling which is an addictive habit in itself over time.

I cannot say which one to choose as that is up to you. The best way would be an opportunity to hear both with your headphones but that is a bit difficult these days. Best tips are to read up on both in the forums and other sites and weigh what matters most to you.

Mar 28, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #6,356 of 6,903
Welcome to Head-Fi!

There may be some bias in this thread as most of us in this thread own the 339i or have owned one. The 339i is a fine amp in the OTL class of amps but you need to pair them with the right type of headphones. If you are mentioning the ZMF Pendant than can I assume you have ZMF headphones? The Pendant is a fine amp as well . The big differences are in where they are built and cost. I cannot comment on the Pendant as I have never owned one but both amps will send you down the path of tube rolling which is an addictive habit in itself over time.

I cannot say which one to choose as that is up to you. The best way would be an opportunity to hear both with your headphones but that is a bit difficult these days. Best tips are to read up on both in the forums and other sites and weigh what matters most to you.
Good counsel !

Mar 29, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #6,357 of 6,903
La Figaro 339i with nos tungsol 5998's and red rca 5693 or zmf pendant? Which would you guys choose? Drop had the 339i's in stock recently for 750.00.
LF 339i

Mar 29, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #6,358 of 6,903
Welcome to Head-Fi!

Thank you for the wise words. I currently have the Focal Stellia's. Considering the ZMF Closed Verite's in the future. I had a darkvoice that I used with the Stellia's and I thought they sounded great together. I am curious to see how the Stellia's would sound with a "better" tube amp.

Mar 29, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #6,359 of 6,903
Thank you for the wise words. I currently have the Focal Stellia's. Considering the ZMF Closed Verite's in the future. I had a darkvoice that I used with the Stellia's and I thought they sounded great together. I am curious to see how the Stellia's would sound with a "better" tube amp.
@Tubewin - I have had the DV and currently own the 339i. If you liked the DV, the 339i is a much better amp. It is more powerful, has independent volume channels which I like in case your tubes don't match or you have bad hearing in one ear. The 339i uses better components than what is in the DV and if you find the right combination of tubes for your liking, it is magical. The drop price is very good for this amp and will cost less than half of the Pendant.

You mentioned tungsol 5998's and red RCA 5693 and if you already have these tubes it's a great combination to start with. The RCA reds mixes well with most of the power tube combinations. For other combinations you can search back in this thread as there have been many discussions on other tubes as well.

Mar 29, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #6,360 of 6,903
@Tubewin - I have had the DV and currently own the 339i. If you liked the DV, the 339i is a much better amp. It is more powerful, has independent volume channels which I like in case your tubes don't match or you have bad hearing in one ear. The 339i uses better components than what is in the DV and if you find the right combination of tubes for your liking, it is magical. The drop price is very good for this amp and will cost less than half of the Pendant.

You mentioned tungsol 5998's and red RCA 5693 and if you already have these tubes it's a great combination to start with. The RCA reds mixes well with most of the power tube combinations. For other combinations you can search back in this thread as there have been many discussions on other tubes as well.
What is your preferred tube combination for the 339i if you don't mind me asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back