KRK KNS-8400 Review (Impressive $150 headphone)
Mar 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #196 of 214
Quote:
This review is spot on. My favorite part of the headphones are the ear pads though. They're incredible! seriously the most comfortable I've ever tried. I showed them to a few friends and they agree. They feel like clouds gently caressing my head, pretty happy with these 
biggrin.gif
 Comfort: 10/10

Interesting, as comfort is negative for me here.  I like a bigger/oval muff (as opposed to the 8400's smaller circular one) and the headpad can start hurting up top too, need to take some foam out here I think.  Overall nothing I would complain about for a smaller muffed can though.

I have a pretty large dome too, so I maybe they're just a better fit for those with smaller noggins, females, etc.  Nothing fits my gigantadome better than a pair of big ass Kosses! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #197 of 214
I went from my Equation Audio RP21s to the KNS 8400s I thought the comfort was amazing. The pads were really comfy and memory foam too. The top got a little annoying after an hour or so, but that just requires a slight adjustment. Then I got my AD900s and they're the most comfortable things ever. When I switch back to my KNS 8400 it hurts my jaw a little bit with all the clamping force.

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #198 of 214
Yea forgot to mention that the top bit is annoying, but I just pull down another click and that feels fine since pretty much all the pressure rests on my ears. I actually decided to sell these though since I prefer the sound of my dt770

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #200 of 214
They probably upped the price on the SRH940 to cover the costs of all the replacements they are sending out. Mine had wonderful sound and I had no desire to upgrade further, but it cracked. Shure sent a replacement and that cracked too. So I sold the subsequent replacement. I asked Shure if they were going to strengthen the joints on the SRH940 (like Sennheiser solved their recent cracking problem with the 500-series), but they made no such promise. Sad. The SRH940 was IDEAL for my sound requirements, but also the most vulnerable to self-destruction I've ever owned. Very squeaky ear cups too (which is probably also associated with the plastic quality). Shure now seem inundated with cracked returns of this model. The fact that Shure don't carry spare parts or service these phones suggests they must be incredibly cheap to produce, making it more cost-effective to replace them than to service them. 

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #201 of 214
hey! anyone have any idea how these are for mixing/editing/studio work?
also how they compare to the Fischer FA-003's, or AKG K240's... or other budget studio phones for being flat/neutral/detailed for surgical audio work?

Oct 20, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #202 of 214
  hey! anyone have any idea how these are for mixing/editing/studio work?
also how they compare to the Fischer FA-003's, or AKG K240's... or other budget studio phones for being flat/neutral/detailed for surgical audio work?

8400 compared to K240 Studio:

240 has much more rolled off treble and is close to being dark to me. 8400 is close to being a bit treble happy at times and can be awful with poor/bright/harsh recording.
240 has more of a mid-bass hump but more rolled off low bass. The 8400 doesn't have much of a hump there, but definitely has much better low bass presence.
The 8400 has more low bass than any of my headphones except for the DJ100.

I'd say the 8400 is one of the clearest and most detailed headphones there is. Comparable to something like a T90 or a DT-880.

Despite being closed the 8400's soundstage is very good.

I really miss my 8400. I accidentally killed mine.

The 6400 sounds a bit flatter in the low mids. Some music the 8400 is a bit more bassy and more musical. I always liked both. 8400 did sound a bit fuller in the mids.

8400 memory foam pads fit the 6400 too.

haven't tried the FA-003

8400 is perhaps a mix of the (less bassy one) M50 and K702.

People sensitive to treble may want to avoid the 8400 or demo it first.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #203 of 214
Yes the KRK-KNS-8400 are incredibly detailed with their amazing crispy clear treble and have a nice amount of isolation from the environment. They are great for synthesizer based music like 1980s new wave by Gary Numan and John Foxx (Ultravox). Love them for playing games where they immerse me in a pool of virtual dreamy acid making the game world come alive in games such as FALLOUT 3, SKYRIM, STALKER, DIABLO 3 etc.

Its was thanks to tdockweiler I picked them up at Best Buy about a year and a half ago due to all the well earned praise he was giving them.

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #204 of 214
In my opinion (aka taste) I do like dt770 pro more then 8400. dt770 pro are a bit mud but they have amazing atmosphere.
KrK (imo) are a bit "crispy" and cold.
Anyway, now I go with the krk since I have broken my second hand dt770 pro and I have to do audio editing with them. No problem.

Can you suggest me a nice KRK 8400 extension cable  + 1 cable replacement, please? Something that I can find at online music shops easily.

Thank you in advance

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #205 of 214
Just registered so I could reply. I decided to get a pair of these kns8400 just to see what I thought. I read most if not all of this thread and they sound like something I'd be interested in.

Some background. I've been playing music since I was about 8. But grew up listening to my dad play in bands since I was born. I'm 32 now and have been recording/mixing for about 12 years. When I was younger and single, I had a bedroom studio set up with event 20/20 monitors using various interfaces over the years.

I'm now married and have two little boys and no bedroom studio. So I do a lot of work on headphones/in-ears. For the last couple of years on etymotic er-4pt's and sennheiser hd280's, through a metric halo 2882 and using a presonus hp4 so I can have multiple headphones hooked up at once. I had never intended on using the 280's for anything other than tracking (they have killer isolation), but use them as a second pair just to see how my mixes translated to them before bouncing a mix and making a cd to test elsewhere. I had finally gotten pretty comfortable with this workflow, but things still didn't translate quite as well as I would like. I have the event monitors and have been trying to figure out a way to set up a room, but that's just out of the question right now.

So I stumble upon these headphones while looking at other monitors. Read some reviews from here and elsewhere and decide why not. They showed up Monday. I was anticipating a bright headphone that I would have to burn in before using. Plugged them in and was surprised.

Maybe I'm used to the detail of my ety's but I found the highs almost recessed and not near as detailed. Mids are great and detailed, but the low mids and lows. Omg they were punchy and detailed. In a way I've never heard any headphones do. The 280's have bass but it's kind if thick and not exactly detailed. And the ety's have plenty of bass, but again are almost surgical and it's hard for in-ears to "hit". These kns8400's punch. I love it. I can finally hear the low mid mud that has been plaguing my mixes and clean it up. And can get the bass guitar and kick drum to play nice and have their own space. I can also do that with the ety's but it never translated like I would like. My mixes where still a bit vague down low, and sometimes there was too much and sometimes not enough. Not anymore.

And while I still don't think these have the high end detail and precision my ety's do, I've found I do appreciate the highs on these. I've never used the venerable yamaha ns10 monitors, but think these may have a similar thing going, but in the highs and mids. Once the mix sounds right on these, it sounds right on other systems.

I still have my other headphones there to compare, but color me impressed. For flat out listening (in)to a great mix, I still wouldn't trade my ety's. But for trying to create that great mix, these do have an edge.

It's almost like the ety's are so clear, you can always hear everything, so it's hard to know what you need to do. With these you have to work to make the mix work, and hear the elements you want to hear, but once you get it right, it's simply right.

These may be the best money I've spent lately. If your intention is to create/mix music give these a shot. If you're interested in great sounding headphones for listening enjoyment, I might suggest you look elsewhere. But for what krk intended I think they hit a homerun.

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #206 of 214
A very pleasantly surprised new owner of a KNS8400 here and what a little gem it is! Another example of that you don't need to spend major bucks to get great sound. This one is going to stay in the stable for a little while.

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #207 of 214
Hello guys

After two years, one of my ear cushion broke (right in the seam).
Is there anything I can do? Maybe I should try some glue?
http://oi59.tinypic.com/28v7uko.jpg

Also, how can I remove cushions on 8400s? I tried pulling them out but nothing happend.
Are there some cushions from other headphones which can fit on 8400s?

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #208 of 214
I bought these the very first month there were available! 
never had any issue with the sound signature.at all  inf fact they've been rock solid the whole time i used them.

i ought theme shortly after hearing some KRK powered monitors. i got these, then some Rokits of my own, now i am back to vintage gear + passive amp because i love pushing tons of watts :)

1. Configuration: Closed back, circumaural
  2. System type:Monitor Headphones
  3. Cable: 2.5 m, (8.2 ft.), 99.99% OFC detachable
  4. Ear Cushion type:Acoustic memory foam [KNS-8400]
  5. Headpad Finish:premium leatherette [KNS-8400]
  6. Nominal Headband Pressure:4 N (based on average head size)
  7. Ambient Noise Isolation: up to 30 dBA [KNS-8400]
  8. Tranducer: 40mm, neodymium
  9. Power Handling Full Range:1000mW
  10. Nominal Impedance: 36 ohms
  11. Frequency Response:5Hz to 23 kHz
  12. Sensitivity (1mW):97 dB SPL
  13. Calculated Max SPL:124 dB SPL
  14. Connector:Gold-plated stereo 1/8" (3.5 mm)
  15. Volume Control:in cord, detachable
  16. Finish:Black impact resistant plastic
  17. Dimensions:3.7" (94mm) x 10.5" (267mm) x 9.6" (244mm)
  18. Weight:0.5 Lbs. (0.23Kg)

...Argh I finally tried these with my Project Polaris. Now i'm kinda glad nobody bought these from me yet...

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #209 of 214
The treble hurt my ears, just my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back