KRK KNS-8400 Review (Impressive $150 headphone)
Aug 12, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #211 of 214
Just going to post an update, as I got an update there had been a reply. Anyway I still use these regularly. And they have gotten even better thanks to a plug-in by Sonarworks. Not going to go into detail about it. But it works. It definitely cleans up the sound even more. I bought the plug and phones separately, but they sell a package deal with a custom calibration for that exact set. I wish I had done that. However their "stock" calibration really does seem to work very well. They even have a calibration for my hd280's. Anyway for those that feel these are too bright, it might be something to look into. As smoothing out the highs and removing a low mid bump is probably the biggest chance the plug-in makes. And it makes a nice difference.

Aug 13, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #212 of 214
Just going to post an update, as I got an update there had been a reply. Anyway I still use these regularly. And they have gotten even better thanks to a plug-in by Sonarworks. Not going to go into detail about it. But it works. It definitely cleans up the sound even more. I bought the plug and phones separately, but they sell a package deal with a custom calibration for that exact set. I wish I had done that. However their "stock" calibration really does seem to work very well. They even have a calibration for my hd280's. Anyway for those that feel these are too bright, it might be something to look into. As smoothing out the highs and removing a low mid bump is probably the biggest chance the plug-in makes. And it makes a nice difference.

Wow, I didn't even think they were terribly bright, but now I'd like to hear this, if I ever got my hands on the 8400 again. I had mine for a really long time and used it during well over a couple hundred hours of recording time.

interesting some 990 owners think this is bright, i thought the 990 was razor blades compared to this.

Aug 13, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #213 of 214
I never thought they were bright either. But there are some peaks the plug smooths out. Along with some valleys. It just makes them even more transparent sounding. And they have a large list of headphones that they have calibrations for. And could probably calibrate any over the ear headphone. I asked and that can't do in-ears. Anyway the plug definitely makes a already great headphone even better.

Aug 13, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #214 of 214
I see 8400's sell for criminally low prices on ebay sometimes. I think I'll add them back to my search list. They would be cool to have again and even more so with a better cable :)

I remember carefully put unpatiently unboxing mine while keeping my head on a swivel on a NYC subway train, I bought mine the week of release I think! About 160 USD with tax...

I remmeber them being extremely unforgiving headphones. Invaluable while recording/mixing, not as appreciated for the audiophile who just wants to listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back