KRK KNS-8400 Review (Impressive $150 headphone)
Jan 26, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #136 of 214

Quote:

BTW if say someone came into my house and stole all my headphones except for my KNS-8400, I wouldn't feel as if I'm losing out on all that much. I could live with just the 8400 easily. The Q701 is worth the extra money and sometimes I prefer an open headphone. I don't even know what it does better. Yet. Bigger and better soundstage? I guess my Q701 is a bit warmer and a little more forgiving
biggrin.gif
My Q701's signature seems a tiny bit smoother, but very similar. I do think the 8400 has more treble.

If any two headphones deserve a comparison it's the 8400 and Q701. Seriously... I guess the Q701 does have much smoother treble. It's a little bit more comfortable too, but the 8400 is also very comfortable.

I am planning to exchange the 940 for the Q701 simply because I find the 940 and the 8400 to be very similar in sound signature and they are both closed. I guess you will say it's a great choice since you like both of those! I was trying to ask for your insight since you have both of these. Do you find the Q701 bass to be more lacking than the 8400? To me when I heard the Q701 it sounds thin, but it sounds fine on the 8400. Hopefully by having these 2, I can listen to a wider range of songs, which does not include a lot of rock or bass-heavy songs. 90% Asian pop, 5% R&B pretty much. Otherwise, you pretty much nailed it about the Q701, which I really like for the smoothness, wide soundstage and forgiving. Sometimes I just want a more laid back speaker-like relaxing experience (Q701) and sometimes I may want a more forward detailed presentation (8400). Last question, which one do you think has more detail and better clarity?

Lastly, I totally agree that the KNS-8400 is more clear than the SRH940, which is why I am a bit disappointed with the 940 now.

dL

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #137 of 214

Quote:
I am planning to exchange the 940 for the Q701 simply because I find the 940 and the 8400 to be very similar in sound signature and they are both closed. I guess you will say it's a great choice since you like both of those! I was trying to ask for your insight since you have both of these. Do you find the Q701 bass to be more lacking than the 8400? To me when I heard the Q701 it sounds thin, but it sounds fine on the 8400. Hopefully by having these 2, I can listen to a wider range of songs, which does not include a lot of rock or bass-heavy songs. 90% Asian pop, 5% R&B pretty much. Otherwise, you pretty much nailed it about the Q701, which I really like for the smoothness, wide soundstage and forgiving. Sometimes I just want a more laid back speaker-like relaxing experience (Q701) and sometimes I may want a more forward detailed presentation (8400). Last question, which one do you think has more detail and better clarity?

Lastly, I totally agree that the KNS-8400 is more clear than the SRH940, which is why I am a bit disappointed with the 940 now.

dL

Honestly, the KNS-8400 sounds so similar to the Q701 that it won't make sense for some to have both. It's a little like getting the SA3000/5000 along with the K702.

I think the 8400 has more detail than the Q701. I haven't compared them side by side, but this is just a guess. It seems that due to the open design of the Q701, some detail I've spotted way off in the background is a bit harder to hear. I never felt the Q701 was a detail monster, but pretty close.

Despite all this, I'd be surprised if there's anything I could hear on the 8400 that's NOT there on the Q701. I think different sound signature of headphones give people the wrong impression that something is more detailed when it's really not. For example, there's some things that are heard easier on the 6400 compared to the 8400, but only due to the mids being shoved into my face more.

Sound clarity has the edge on the Q701 I think. Both are crystal clear to my ears. I would say they're about even really. I usually over analyze all my headphones too much, but I really tried to stop doing this.

I haven't really compared the 8400 to the Q701 side by side yet for music. I did this for gaming and was really surprised how similar they sounded.

If someone wants to know what a closed Q701 sounds like, try the 8400
normal_smile%20.gif

Now I'm sure they have lots of differences, but I only tried them with gaming.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #138 of 214

Quote:
Probably the Q701. It really depends on my mood. Sometimes for female vocals I prefer the HD-598 over the others. HD-598 to me makes almost everything sound fun to listen to and it's not as revealing. For me, it's like an HD-600 that's a little more fun and doesn't bore me to death.

One thing I've preferred lately is not having to use my desktop amp every single time. With my KRK it's nice being able to move around the house while listening to them. They even sound decent straight out of a Sansa Clip!

I didn't think it was possible, but in a few months the 8400 might top the DJ100 as my favorite closed headphone ever. Obviously the KRK is technically better, but the DJ100 is so fun to listen to and actually has a slight bass boost.

I also had the SRH-940 on loan for about 3 days. I liked it a lot, but felt my DJ100 and KNS-6400 held up so well that I felt they were overpriced for the sound you get. Wasn't $150 better. I was surprised that the SRH-940 wasn't as clear sounding as it could be. The SRH-940 did seem to benefit more from my amp than my KRK it seems. The KRK seems to benefit more from my DAC than the amp I think!

The soundstage with HRT Music Streamer with the 8400 is pretty impressive!

BTW if say someone came into my house and stole all my headphones except for my KNS-8400, I wouldn't feel as if I'm losing out on all that much. I could live with just the 8400 easily. The Q701 is worth the extra money and sometimes I prefer an open headphone. I don't even know what it does better. Yet. Bigger and better soundstage? I guess my Q701 is a bit warmer and a little more forgiving
biggrin.gif
My Q701's signature seems a tiny bit smoother, but very similar. I do think the 8400 has more treble.

If any two headphones deserve a comparison it's the 8400 and Q701. Seriously... I guess the Q701 does have much smoother treble. It's a little bit more comfortable too, but the 8400 is also very comfortable.

I've been thinking the 8400 benefited a lot more from DAC as well and less from amp. Trying it out of different amp seems to give a different signature but not necessarily more detail or natural sound. For me they just sound really good out of a clean DAC. Weird though I didn't like the 940's sound that much with amp 
confused.gif

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #139 of 214
I have really been enjoying the KRK KNS 8400. Like another user said on this forum; I do find that you have to fidget a bit in order to get the cups at the right position. The soundstage is affected and so is the sound, being a bit forward. However! This is not at all a big deal as you can find the comfortable position in reasonable time. It is FAR from being a deal breaker. 

I enjoy how clean these sound. I am using a Clip+ (Rockboxed) so I understand that the potential of these cans is not being reached. Regardless, they sound great. I much prefer them to my far-more-expensive Pro 900. The very neutral sound is presented well and I also find the sound stage, while being a little less expansive in width, depth, etc, is a lot more realistic not only in it's instrument placement but the general sound scape created. I felt like the Pro 900 was putting on a bit of a show with me. Not just with the absurd frequency response. The sound stage was often expansive but very unrealistic sounding. 

I find the 8400 to have a very clean sound. The bass is lean and definitive. Perhaps a little light? Maybe, but the definition and lean nature of the bass overshadows the possible lack of it. I can hear all kinds of detail and texture in these cans. Again, maybe a little less than my Pro 900. But I am not getting nasty sibilance and the higher micro-detail retrieval of the Pro 900 was often overshadowed by a really boomy sub-bass. It obscured stuff to a point that I had to utilize a parametric equalizer to great degrees in order to hear detail. Consequently, the sound signature was just ugly and jagged - but clear. 

I notice the build quality of the 8400 isn't exactly fantastic. However, the memory foam is a really, really, really nice touch and the 8400 is as light as ever. They are very comfortable. I sometimes forget they are on my head. 

More about the sound... They are tight. Again, maybe not as tight as my Pro 900 but they are still very tight. I can hear lots of details and they are presented in a somewhat laid back, not in your face manner. But this isn't to say that they are unrealistically laid back. Often I think they sound a lot more realistic. They aren't trying to wow you. They just want you to hear the recording. I often hear the flaws in metal recordings. By the same token, I hear the subtle details in well recorded music. 

Are there better headphones of this variety out there? I don't actually know. I have never had any first hand experience with other cans. However, I don't doubt there are better cans out there of this type. Regardless, for the price these headphones are awesome. Actually, I am really enthused about them. I love them. They do sound really great and they are giving me what I want - neutrality and ultimately fidelity. 

I am sure they'd sound better with a cleaner amp and source. I just don't have the finances right now. 

Would I recommend these to others? Absolutely. Albeit I have limited experience I am a musician and do have some idea of what a proper sound is. I think these cans are excellent. Are they perfect? No. But they are pretty damn good. 

Oh! One more thing. They lack sub-bass. But I am of the opinion that they are more about detail and accuracy and leanness, not sub-bass; a quality truly native to headphones. They don't seem to be trying to be something more than they are... I theorize that KRK decided that they would work within their limitations (that is; producing headphones) and not try to be something they are not - like loudspeakers and a sub-woofer. This doesn't mean the bass loses all intensity. Actually, I'd say that when headphones have sub-bass details are obscured. I'd rather sacrifice sub-bass (an unrealistic headphone trait) and have quality. 

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #140 of 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Atrocity /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I find the 8400 to have a very clean sound. The bass is lean and definitive. Perhaps a little light? Maybe, but the definition and lean nature of the bass overshadows the possible lack of it. 

They lack sub-bass. But I am of the opinion that they are more about detail and accuracy and leanness, not sub-bass; a quality truly native to headphones. They don't seem to be trying to be something more than they are... I theorize that KRK decided that they would work within their limitations (that is; producing headphones) and not try to be something they are not - like loudspeakers and a sub-woofer. This doesn't mean the bass loses all intensity. Actually, I'd say that when headphones have sub-bass details are obscured. I'd rather sacrifice sub-bass (an unrealistic headphone trait) and have quality. 

Very nice review and summation.

I find the 8400 lacks mid and upper bass bloat and boom, which is a relief coming off the 6400 and M50. I also don't find the sub-bass lacking. They reproduce a 20Hz test signal no problem. The only problem I have (that I mentioned in the other thread) is that the bass seems a bit suffocated, closed-in, lacking dynamics. But it's a tight foundation that supports the wonderful midrange and top.

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #141 of 214

Quote:

Very nice review and summation.

I find the 8400 lacks mid and upper bass bloat and boom, which is a relief coming off the 6400 and M50. I also don't find the sub-bass lacking. They reproduce a 20Hz test signal no problem. The only problem I have (that I mentioned in the other thread) is that the bass seems a bit suffocated, closed-in, lacking dynamics. But it's a tight foundation that supports the wonderful midrange and top.

You also found the 6400 to have more boosted mid-bass than the 8400? If so, so did I. I remember comparing both of them for hours and I was very surprised about this! It was especially noticeable in gaming and this may lead to some people's impression of lower sound clarity with specific music. The 6400 felt overall it had more forward sounding mids, but it was hard to tell the difference at times due to how the 8400 seems to be more accurate when it came to the soundstage in the recording.

I tested the 8400's sub-bass and it extends very low, but it just isn't as present as on some other headphones like my DJ100. I actually think my DJ100 has better sub-bass and it's cheaper, but that doesn't make it the better headphone, just different. Think I ended up thinking the 8400 has better sub-bass than the 6400, but less forward mid-bass.

It's funny how when I had the 8400 and 6400 before it was MUCH harder to tell the differences between the two. Now it's fairly easy. Lately I've only been listening to the 8400. With gaming, it's no contest, but the 6400 could be better for some only due to sound signature preferences. Maybe for those that want more forward mids and a little more mid-bass. The 6400 also seemed to have a little less treble too, but that was tricky to compare.

I can't figure out the graphs, because it appears like the 8400 would be the one with the more forward mids, but not when I listen to them.

For my own curiosity I want to do a comparison of my DJ100 to the 8400 and Q701. I'm all for making my DJ100 look bad, but I think it can hold up to the 8400 in some areas.

BTW I also use a Rockboxed Clip. Sounds pretty good, but some music requires me to max the volume. No big deal. Love listening to the 8400 with a good PC DAC though.

I wonder if I'm the only one on earth that thinks a well amped Q701 sounds a little like the 8400
biggrin.gif
I hope some Q701 fans give the 8400 a try.

Weird to think that lately I listen to my 8400 more than my Q701. It holds up very well.

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #142 of 214

Quote:
I wonder if I'm the only one on earth that thinks a well amped Q701 sounds a little like the 8400
biggrin.gif
I hope some Q701 fans give the 8400 a try.

Weird to think that lately I listen to my 8400 more than my Q701. It holds up very well.

I was thinking that as well...but still only a little. I think it's mainly the boosted upper frequencies and that really clear sound. I haven't been able to pinpoint it yet. But the easiest way would probably be to use the same source for both and then have a neutral amp for the K701(Q701 pretty close I think). I should test this on yulong A100, but somehow the A100 and K701 combo is a bit cold sounding for me, so I didn't use it as much.

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #143 of 214

Quote:
Anyone listen to ambient music with these? I have to say this is one of my favorite genres for this headphone. It's up there with the Q701 and DT-880 for ambient.
I was listening to some ambient music before bed last night and didn't want to go to sleep!

I know it's not as huge as an open headphone, but the soundstage always seems to impress me. It's just so accurate. I actually connected up a Clip with FLAC files to an E9 for testing purposes and I was surprised how good it was. They say the E9 is not a good match for the KRK KNS-8400, but to my ears it didn't mess with it's sound signature at all
confused_face_2.gif

I usually use them with my Micro Amp and it's a perfect match. Airhead should be a good match for the KRKs too.

Only bad thing about ambient music is the recordings don't always sound too good. Often they're a bit muffled and the KRKs are VERY revealing of this. I'm trying to find some new music in this genre. So far I like Helios, Mum, Boards of Canada and a few others. Sigur Ros is ok too. There's this Boards of Canada CD I didn't like until I listened to it multiple times.

It's weird how many songs on the 8400 bore me to death. It's easy to blame the headphone, when in fact it's just the song. I haven't experienced this much since I had my DT-880. My HD-598 and Q701 get me into the music a bit more easily. Not sure why. Not like the Q701 is more colored or anything.

Still think Q701 (with my amp) sounds similar to my 8400 (K701 doesn't sound as similar IMO).

It's weird how with all my headphones, lately the 8400 and Q701 are tied for being used the most lately. When using the 598 you just miss the clarity and detail of the 8400/Q701. Kind of just addicting.

Try Grouper!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC8BHK6pti8

Mar 25, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #144 of 214

Quote:
Anyone listen to ambient music with these? I have to say this is one of my favorite genres for this headphone. It's up there with the Q701 and DT-880 for ambient.
I was listening to some ambient music before bed last night and didn't want to go to sleep!

I know it's not as huge as an open headphone, but the soundstage always seems to impress me. It's just so accurate. I actually connected up a Clip with FLAC files to an E9 for testing purposes and I was surprised how good it was. They say the E9 is not a good match for the KRK KNS-8400, but to my ears it didn't mess with it's sound signature at all
confused_face_2.gif

I usually use them with my Micro Amp and it's a perfect match. Airhead should be a good match for the KRKs too.

Only bad thing about ambient music is the recordings don't always sound too good. Often they're a bit muffled and the KRKs are VERY revealing of this. I'm trying to find some new music in this genre. So far I like Helios, Mum, Boards of Canada and a few others. Sigur Ros is ok too. There's this Boards of Canada CD I didn't like until I listened to it multiple times.

It's weird how many songs on the 8400 bore me to death. It's easy to blame the headphone, when in fact it's just the song. I haven't experienced this much since I had my DT-880. My HD-598 and Q701 get me into the music a bit more easily. Not sure why. Not like the Q701 is more colored or anything.

Still think Q701 (with my amp) sounds similar to my 8400 (K701 doesn't sound as similar IMO).

It's weird how with all my headphones, lately the 8400 and Q701 are tied for being used the most lately. When using the 598 you just miss the clarity and detail of the 8400/Q701. Kind of just addicting.

Yes i love listening to ambient music with the KRK KNS-8400. It does for ambient music what it does for games like SKYRIM and FALLOUT 3 making everything seem so real in its sound qualities as if am actually experiancing everything in all its sonic reality. Early this morning i was listening to LIGHT YEARS by Mentallo & The Fixer and i was amazed at how exact the bass is without overpowering the treble or mids. Even at loud volumes everything was clear with plenty of separation between instruments. It was as if the creators of the KRK KNS-8400 fine tuned the drivers with some ultra futuristic balancing audio device adding fun life with a very exact clean quality. I dont think i'll ever come across a pair of speakers that could sound this clean and great.

Other ambient groups which sound great on the KRK KNS-8400 are Brian Eno especially his recently released IN THE FUTURE with Rick Holland. Aphex Twins SELECTED AMBIENT WORKS VOL 2 and RICHARD D JAMES. Spectrum and their FOREVER ALIEN cd.

Though not really ambient Gary Numan's REPLICA'S REDUX also sounds very detailed and revealing.

Mar 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #145 of 214

Quote:
Yes i love listening to ambient music with the KRK KNS-8400. It does for ambient music what it does for games like SKYRIM and FALLOUT 3 making everything seem so real in its sound qualities as if am actually experiancing everything in all its sonic reality. Early this morning i was listening to LIGHT YEARS by Mentallo & The Fixer and i was amazed at how exact the bass is without overpowering the treble or mids. Even at loud volumes everything was clear with plenty of separation between instruments. It was as if the creators of the KRK KNS-8400 fine tuned the drivers with some ultra futuristic balancing audio device adding fun life with a very exact clean quality. I dont think i'll ever come across a pair of speakers that could sound this clean and great.

Other ambient groups which sound great on the KRK KNS-8400 are Brian Eno especially his recently released IN THE FUTURE with Rick Holland. Aphex Twins SELECTED AMBIENT WORKS VOL 2 and RICHARD D JAMES. Spectrum and their FOREVER ALIEN cd.

Though not really ambient Gary Numan's REPLICA'S REDUX also sounds very detailed and revealing.

I haven't listened to Aphex Twin in maybe 15 years! I'll have to listen to them again. Thanks for the artist/album listings. I'll have to try all those out.
I just started getting addicted to Ambient music in the last 6 months. I must play hundreds of test tracks on itunes just get a sample of what I might like. Seems I prefer the most simple ambient without much going on. Stuff I can relax to or listen to at work.
So far my favorites are Helios and Boards of Canada. Mum is also decent. The album from Boards of Canada called "The Campfire Headphase" is kind of repetitive on the first listen and only gets better the more times you listen to the album.
I think I might even prefer ambient on my 8400 over the Q701.

Here's one song:

I might try something from "Near the Parenthesis" or "Loscil". Just for something new. Itunes has TONS of ambient. I usually sample them there and then buy them on CD or as a last option..Amazon mp3.

Oh and I think the 8400 just might be one of the best closed headphones there is for Fallout 3. At least under $500. I'm still addicted to that game despite starting it back in 2009. The 8400 makes the game so much more immersive. Even more so than my HD-600 and Q701.

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #146 of 214

Quote:

I haven't listened to Aphex Twin in maybe 15 years! I'll have to listen to them again. Thanks for the artist/album listings. I'll have to try all those out.
I just started getting addicted to Ambient music in the last 6 months. I must play hundreds of test tracks on itunes just get a sample of what I might like. Seems I prefer the most simple ambient without much going on. Stuff I can relax to or listen to at work.
So far my favorites are Helios and Boards of Canada. Mum is also decent. The album from Boards of Canada called "The Campfire Headphase" is kind of repetitive on the first listen and only gets better the more times you listen to the album.
I think I might even prefer ambient on my 8400 over the Q701.

Here's one song:

I might try something from "Near the Parenthesis" or "Loscil". Just for something new. Itunes has TONS of ambient. I usually sample them there and then buy them on CD or as a last option..Amazon mp3.

Oh and I think the 8400 just might be one of the best closed headphones there is for Fallout 3. At least under $500. I'm still addicted to that game despite starting it back in 2009. The 8400 makes the game so much more immersive. Even more so than my HD-600 and Q701.

Nice piece by Boards Of Canada. I could easily listen to that on a loop during the changing seasons of spring and fall. Thats one of the great things about ambient is its natural sound which makes listening to it over and over normal as well as quite soothing.

Another group which is great on the KRK KNS-8400 from way back in the 1970s is Cluster with their Cluster and Cluster II albums. Very dronelike and mechanical. I listen to it while playing FALLOUT 3 for its alien otherworld sense of isolation.

Yes same here i've been playing FALLOUT 3 since its release and have yet to get bored. Theres something about Bethesda rpgs which just keep me playing. I still play Daggerfall from way back in 1995 or 96. Shockingly enough the cd is still in near mint condition. Too bad i didnt keep the multicolor reflective game box. The full free version they released about three years ago plays even better and smoother then the original when using Dosbox.

Listening to Cluster right now and am really loving the isolation of the memory foam pads on the KRK KNS-8400 and how its cutting out the background hiss of the radiator.

Thanks for all the KRK KNS-8400 praise tdockweiler and guiding many such as myself to audio nirvana :)

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #147 of 214
Hey guys.

I've had these for awhile now, but the bump pads are extremely uncomfortable. I can't go more than 25 minutes at a time without feeling pain from the headphones. I tried to contact KRK, but all their emails are not working, and the emails just bounce back to.

Does anyone have any solutions/mods to make the headbands more comfortable?

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #148 of 214

Quote:
Hey guys.

I've had these for awhile now, but the bump pads are extremely uncomfortable. I can't go more than 25 minutes at a time without feeling pain from the headphones. I tried to contact KRK, but all their emails are not working, and the emails just bounce back to.

Does anyone have any solutions/mods to make the headbands more comfortable?

If you can't come up with anything you can always try the 6400's headband cushion. It's sold for around $10 I believe and might be a little softer. Uses a different type of material.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #150 of 214

Quote:
Oh my apologies. I meant I have the 6400. Are the 8400 pads different from the 6400?

pads or headband pads? The 8400 uses memory foam and the 6400 uses plastic foam.

You could try the 8400's memory foam pads. They fit on the 6400 (same with the pads).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back