KRK KNS-8400 Review (Impressive $150 headphone)
Jan 13, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #121 of 214
Interesting... comparing the bass, mids, highs, details, soundstage with the SRH940, can you list each aspect and which one wins?

Too bad I already dropped my dough on the SRH940 but would love to try the KRK 8400 from my local music store if it sounds right.

Please tell me the bass is close to the SRH940 more so than the Q701 because I find the Q701 bass to be really lacking for my taste.

dL

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #122 of 214

Quote:
Interesting... comparing the bass, mids, highs, details, soundstage with the SRH940, can you list each aspect and which one wins?

Too bad I already dropped my dough on the SRH940 but would love to try the KRK 8400 from my local music store if it sounds right.

Please tell me the bass is close to the SRH940 more so than the Q701 because I find the Q701 bass to be really lacking for my taste.

dL

Easy part first: For me the bass of the KRK sounded closer to the SRH940. It's not really a deep bass like the M50's. It's maybe a bit tighter than the HD650's bass, although slightly less deep/extended. As much as I like the K701's highs and mids, I didn't like the bass as much either, except with a good EQ setup. I think it's the KRK bass is what you expect from monitoring headphones where hear it but it's not overpowering compared to the mids and highs.

For the second part...somehow I haven't listened to my SRH940 enough to do a thorough comparison. I really like the vocals, smoothness, and detail retrieval of the 940. But for me somehow the sound is close enough to the HD600, that I prefer the HD600 for soundstage and overall "funner" sound.

But I've had the 8400 for a while now and I do still appreciate it's sound quite a bit. It's a different sound from other headphones I've tried so far, maybe because it's actually a pretty good monitoring headphone. Where as a lot of other popular headphones in this price range tend to have some aspect of sound that makes you go "wow" I say the KRK's had almost none of that. (ie. M50=bass, HD600=soundstage/laid back/neutral,warm, SRH940=vocals/detailed, SR225=bright/airy, etc...) Nothing really stands out especially. Which I think makes it a great monitoring headphone. I find it easier to listen to how the different sounds/instruments/vocals of the music fit together. No sound is given too much emphasis. Which reminds me there the other great thing about the KRK is the speed/decay(not sure if this is the correct term) is quite fast. So a sound or instrument will play and then fade away quickly, which results in a very clean sound even in music with a lot going on. 

I do think the KRK is better for actively listening to the music rather than just "enjoying the music." I find it's more for analysis and listening to what's really happening in the music and how all the parts fit together. I would consider HD650, M50, or SR225 better for an "enjoyment" experience. Although enjoy depends on preference of each person. So if you really like to "hear" the whole picture, the KRK is a good choice at this price range. 

Anyways hope this helps someone reading up on these headphones 
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #123 of 214
Also I found it necessary (like a lot of other 'phones) to adjust the position of the pads on the ears in order to get the correct balance of sound. Otherwise the soundstage sounds too small or upfront or bass sounds too much/less. Probably more of a preference issue. But the KRK is pretty good for this since the memory foam is soft and holds in place...

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #124 of 214
Just tried the 8400 with the fuze as source instead of the usual D100 or galaxy s as source and it actually sounds a lot funner than yulong. Either it's a pretty good match with the fuze or the fuze just has a nice sound...Anyways it does seem to be possible to get a fun and more gear toward enjoyment sound out of the 8400. It's more like a exciting sound rather than laidback.

Probably due to the lack of "standout points" of the KRK, it's more source transparent as in the resulting sound depends more on the source...in contrast to some other headphones where their own sonic signature has a stronger influence on the overall sound.

edit: galaxy s, not s2. wish it was s2 =p

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #125 of 214

I have been enjoying my KRK KNS 8400 for about a month now, and I have also enjoyed the discussions
on this nice pair of cans in this thread and several others. In this post I would like to share some of my
observations on these phones. My first observation concerns wearing glasses while listening. As a regular 
switcher between wearing glasses and contact lenses, I noticed that with glasses the bass is compromised. 
Somehow the legs of my spectacles break the seal of the earpads around my ears, and its seems that this 
seal is important for putting the bass energy across, especially the for low bass.
(I don't know if this also holds for the 6400 earpads, but when I saw MalVeauX's review on the 6400's
(see http://www.head-fi.org/products/krk-kns6400-studio-headphones/reviews/5632 where he includes a couple of
pictures on which he wears glasses.) I could not help thinking that he would have written a slightly different
review without his glasses.)

This observation inspired me for the following simple, and easily reversible, mod for my KNS 8400's,
which is for the ones who think that the 8400's have too little bass and which warms up the sound of 
the 8400's considerably and puts the bass a bit more forward in the mix:
it only takes two pieces of paper kitchen towels which you need to roll up into a two "snakes". Then tuck these "snakes"
in in between the memory foam earpad and the mesh cloth of the earpad, see below for some pictures which
I hope clarify this mod. In this way the space in the eardpad between drivers and your ears is made smaller 
(perhaps this mod does not apply for big ears, mine still fit in nicely :)) which might perhaps account 
for the increased punch in the bass. I do not have many other phones that I can compare my modded 8400's to,
except a Grado SR60 and a Sennheiser HD485.
Without mod the bass energy of my 8400's is perhaps comparable to the bass energy of the SR60's, although the focuss
of the 8400's lies lower than that of the SR60's and it does not have the bass impact of the SR60's. With mod the bass 
impact is comparable to the SR60's but with the extra energy in the low bass. (I hope that this description makes sense).
On some tracks I found the modded bass too much, on some others it was perfect. I tried to do a bit of A/B-ing
with the mod, but this proved difficult because it takes quite a while to tuck the paper towels back in (taking them 
out it easy :)

Here are the promised pictures:

The 8400's with the paper towels:

Roll them up:

Tuck them in:

And here's the final result:

Well, that's it so far, I hope that this (my very first post on Headfi) was informative, and keep on
enjoying those 8400's!

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #126 of 214
I was bored today, and I didn't believe you guys so I decided to buy it to compare it with the Shure SRH940, since I can get a refund in case it doesn't sound good. Win win situation.

I'll do a thorough comparison later, but first impression (less than 1 hour of listen):

- Way more comfortable.
- The bass impact is very good. Definitely not bass shy and very similar to the 940. Maybe a tad bit less.
- Sound very similar to the 940, but at 1/2 the cost it's phenomenal.
- Details are present, yet not overemphasized. Pleasing balanced musical experience!
- No lack of mid bass unlike the 940!

Seems to have fixed my 3 concerns about the 940:
- Uncomfortable
- Bit too bright, and a bit too detailed sometimes (that hurts my ears)
- Lack of mid bass making it sound less balanced

These are initial impression without burning in so I might even be more surprised later. For now, I won't further comment but this seems like a keeper and the 940 will be a goner...

Wow is all I have to say.

dL

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #128 of 214
Did I get a defective one or is this normal?

The right cup can be twisted almost 180 degrees whereas the left cup cannot. I'm guessing it prevents the left side because of the cable? Can anyone confirm?

dL

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #129 of 214
KRK's build quality wasn't as great as I hoped it would be.

1st pair: The headband memory foam was uneven and squeaky. One side was really squishy and the other one was very stiff.
2nd pair: Channel imbalance. The left side was louder. Also the high was really harsh and not much bass. The headband extension was noticeably shorter.
3rd pair: Same sound quality and comfort as first one, without the uneven squeaky memory foam. Seems perfect to me!

And ignore my previous question, I answered it myself. It is normal.

For anyone looking for these 8400 or the 6400, I suggest trying an exchange if you do indeed get a pair that just sounded weird to you as I certainly believe there are sound variations.

Time for burn in, for real!

dL

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #130 of 214

Quote:

1st pair: The headband memory foam was uneven and squeaky. One side was really squishy and the other one was very stiff.
2nd pair: Channel imbalance. The left side was louder. Also the high was really harsh and not much bass. The headband extension was noticeably shorter.
3rd pair: Same sound quality and comfort as first one, without the uneven squeaky memory foam. Seems perfect to me!

For anyone looking for these 8400 or the 6400, I suggest trying an exchange if you do indeed get a pair that just sounded weird to you as I certainly believe there are sound variations.

dL

Guess I lucky with the right one the first time. The headband memory foam on mine is not as soft as the earpad memory foam, but not stiff either. Mine sounds pretty much as others have described it, so it probably passed QC if they have.

It would be great if mine was the defective version though, because I'd be even happier with the sound once I got a working one...
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #131 of 214

Quote:

dL

I've had no problems with the build quality yet. My first 8400 had a REALLY terrible cable that tangled so easily. It retained the shape it was in for maybe 2 weeks! This new one is shinier (it seems like) and doesn't tangle up easily.

There has been slight variations in sound between the 3 pairs I've had. No, not like say the Q701 vs K702 (which IMO is like a 10% difference..really).

My 3rd pair didn't have any treble issues out of the box at all. It's possible the factory gave them more burn in (if they even do this). First pair had treble that kind of messed with it's signature a bit. This one seems perfectly balanced.

Has anyone gotten a pair without the clear plastic shell inside the box? The best pair I've had had the newer plastic clear shell. My first pair had mids that were too relaxed for me, but this pair is perfect.

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #132 of 214
Anyone listen to ambient music with these? I have to say this is one of my favorite genres for this headphone. It's up there with the Q701 and DT-880 for ambient.
I was listening to some ambient music before bed last night and didn't want to go to sleep!

I know it's not as huge as an open headphone, but the soundstage always seems to impress me. It's just so accurate. I actually connected up a Clip with FLAC files to an E9 for testing purposes and I was surprised how good it was. They say the E9 is not a good match for the KRK KNS-8400, but to my ears it didn't mess with it's sound signature at all
confused_face_2.gif

I usually use them with my Micro Amp and it's a perfect match. Airhead should be a good match for the KRKs too.

Only bad thing about ambient music is the recordings don't always sound too good. Often they're a bit muffled and the KRKs are VERY revealing of this. I'm trying to find some new music in this genre. So far I like Helios, Mum, Boards of Canada and a few others. Sigur Ros is ok too. There's this Boards of Canada CD I didn't like until I listened to it multiple times.

It's weird how many songs on the 8400 bore me to death. It's easy to blame the headphone, when in fact it's just the song. I haven't experienced this much since I had my DT-880. My HD-598 and Q701 get me into the music a bit more easily. Not sure why. Not like the Q701 is more colored or anything.

Still think Q701 (with my amp) sounds similar to my 8400 (K701 doesn't sound as similar IMO).

It's weird how with all my headphones, lately the 8400 and Q701 are tied for being used the most lately. When using the 598 you just miss the clarity and detail of the 8400/Q701. Kind of just addicting.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #133 of 214
Mine is the clear plastic where both left and right cup is flat with the logo facing up.

I love the KRK KNS-8400 so much that I'm gonna bring back my Shure SRH940. It served me well, except the KNS-8400 for half the price, did a better job in almost every way possible. Now I know why people think the 940's are coloured, especially after listening to the 8400. It really is a great choice at $150. I don't know why it's not popular. Oh well!

Everything from soundstage (wider but not deeper), detail (perfect, never sibilant!), clarity (SRH940 sounded muffle after A-B-ing these one after another), mid bass (just the right amount), bass (just the right amount, although i wouldn't mind more) is just really really well with the KNS-8400. IMO they sound better than the $300 Shure SRH940. 

I have one minor complain. Not really a problem, but sometimes the vocal is a bit too forward that it is too aggressive for my ear, especially the high pitch. It's not sibilant, just really aggressive and forward that I have to turn the music down. Thanks to the E17, it gave the soundstage even deeper so it sounds a bit laid back. The E10 was really really forward sounding.

As for cables, yes the first 2 tangled up really easily but this one doesn't tangle at all. It's very nice!

Because I can't return the Shures from the dealer that I bought from, I'll exchange it for the AKG Q701 since that was my other can that I personally like and that will give me a different perspective and experience. Then I will have a closed and open headphone.

Which means, tdockweiler, my setup mimics part of yours 
smily_headphones1.gif

dL

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #134 of 214
By the way, tdockweiler, which one do you enjoy listening to more? The KNS-8400 or the Q701?

dL

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #135 of 214

Quote:
By the way, tdockweiler, which one do you enjoy listening to more? The KNS-8400 or the Q701?

dL

Probably the Q701. It really depends on my mood. Sometimes for female vocals I prefer the HD-598 over the others. HD-598 to me makes almost everything sound fun to listen to and it's not as revealing. For me, it's like an HD-600 that's a little more fun and doesn't bore me to death.

One thing I've preferred lately is not having to use my desktop amp every single time. With my KRK it's nice being able to move around the house while listening to them. They even sound decent straight out of a Sansa Clip!

I didn't think it was possible, but in a few months the 8400 might top the DJ100 as my favorite closed headphone ever. Obviously the KRK is technically better, but the DJ100 is so fun to listen to and actually has a slight bass boost.

I also had the SRH-940 on loan for about 3 days. I liked it a lot, but felt my DJ100 and KNS-6400 held up so well that I felt they were overpriced for the sound you get. Wasn't $150 better. I was surprised that the SRH-940 wasn't as clear sounding as it could be. The SRH-940 did seem to benefit more from my amp than my KRK it seems. The KRK seems to benefit more from my DAC than the amp I think!

The soundstage with HRT Music Streamer with the 8400 is pretty impressive!

BTW if say someone came into my house and stole all my headphones except for my KNS-8400, I wouldn't feel as if I'm losing out on all that much. I could live with just the 8400 easily. The Q701 is worth the extra money and sometimes I prefer an open headphone. I don't even know what it does better. Yet. Bigger and better soundstage? I guess my Q701 is a bit warmer and a little more forgiving
biggrin.gif
My Q701's signature seems a tiny bit smoother, but very similar. I do think the 8400 has more treble.

If any two headphones deserve a comparison it's the 8400 and Q701. Seriously... I guess the Q701 does have much smoother treble. It's a little bit more comfortable too, but the 8400 is also very comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back