KRK KNS-8400 Review (Impressive $150 headphone)
Dec 23, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #106 of 214

Quote:
tdockweiler,

Can you describe,what are exactly the sound changes,when you use 8400 pads on the 6400's?

Take your time,don't hurry to answer me,because i want to know exactly what are the changes in sound,because i tested the 6400 and i found it to be very good for the price,I liked the sound signature but I didn't like the quality of the stock pads (cheapish).

I tested this before and I can't really tell any difference. Maybe a tiny bit of extra bass, but basically the same. It's really hard to do A/B comparisons since the pads are a pain to install sometimes. Must be some trick that I haven't figured out.

If you like the sound of the 6400 with stock pads, it'll be the same with the 8400 pads.

It's not like switching the K601 pads to the K702 pads. Very little change with the KRKs.

As I mentioned earlier, the pads are down to $10 on some sites.

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #107 of 214
I've been following this and other threads over the past few days.  My primary HPs have been the Shure SRH840's.  I've used them for mixing and easy listening.  Well during a trip the left phone broke from the headband.  I will be sending them in for repair after the holidays, but now I have an excuse for a new set of HP's

I was definitely leaning towards the ATH M50s based on other website ratings.  But I came across discussions about the KRK KNS8400 on this forum and got me interested.  Went to Guitar Center today and was able to pick up a pair for $107.  

I know I need to allow them to burn-in, but I could not wait to listen to them.  Well, a couple of hours later and I'm really liking what I'm hearing.  When I AB against my 840's you can see that they aren't as "bass heavy", but they seem to go lower.  I like the highs that they produce.  I can't wait to hear what they sound like once they are broken in because I like what they sound like now.

I still like the sound of my 840's, but I can see how the 8400s can help me with my mixes.  I can hear greater clarity in the highs.  They are not as smooth and the 840's at this time.  Maybe they will smooth out a bit.  I'm definitely surprised at how well a pair of $100-120 headphones can sound.

Thanks you all for the good reviews and opinions......

Dec 24, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #108 of 214
Hi all! I just picked up some 8400s for Christmas, they are my first high quality headphones and I'm stoked to open them! I really enjoyed them when I tried them out in Guitar Center, and just overall they perfectly fit my bill.

One question: is it possible to use a shorter cable in place of the stock cable? I know the stock cable is detachable, but I naturally know little about making changes like this to headphones since they're my first good ones. 

Dec 24, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #109 of 214

Quote:
I tested this before and I can't really tell any difference. Maybe a tiny bit of extra bass, but basically the same. It's really hard to do A/B comparisons since the pads are a pain to install sometimes. Must be some trick that I haven't figured out.

If you like the sound of the 6400 with stock pads, it'll be the same with the 8400 pads.

It's not like switching the K601 pads to the K702 pads. Very little change with the KRKs.

As I mentioned earlier, the pads are down to $10 on some sites.

Thank you very much for your answer  :)

I already have a pair of good closed headphones,the SHURE SRH840,which I really like,the sound is smooth,musical and refined,open enough,with good soundstage imaging,and without being boring,but sometimes I feel it's a bit bass heavy(not much though,and it seems that positioning on the head plays it's role).
Also,although it's not uncomfortable(after almost 2 years of use),I found the KRK 6400 to be better at this,it is more comfortable on the head,lighter,and it also has a very nice sound signature that combines a lively and enjoyable sound without being harsh,but with neutral characteristics,good balance on all the audio spectrum,and good timbre and good soundstage imaging.It had a somewhat addictive sound,I enjoyed the music when listening to these headphones.
Combared to the 6400,the 840 seems to have a more refined and smooth sound overall(and a bit more laidback nature),and it controls a bit better the "closed coloration" in sound,that you usually hear on closed headphones especially at low to mid priced ones.That doesn't mean that the 6400 are not refined,they are fine,and I didn't find any significant or annoying sound colouration/hollow feeling because of the closed design(maybe a little bit "plastic" feeling at midbass due to the closed design,but that was somewhat nicely mixed in the whole sound).
But the 6400 lacked this bass enhanced feeling,I sometimes get from the Shures(and it ruins a little bit the overall great sound quality),and thats why I asked you about the 8400 pads on the 6400,to see if they add bass weight to the overall sound(which is something I wouldn't like),or cause any other bad changes in sound.

Now I'm thinking what is better to do: Maybe I should try shure srh 940 pads on the 840 to see if the slight bass heavy sound and comfort improve(although I read at headfonia that it's not recommended),or buy a KRK 6400 instead.(with the 8400 pads later)

Dec 26, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #110 of 214
Hey, guys, check this out!

HD600 Waterfall CSD plot 
32c01da6ad1fefddd6f683b30880a472.png

KRK KNS 8400
04.CSD_KRK_KNS8400.png

I know there are dangers from directly comparing waterfall CSD plots, but I felt like sharing this. We can see that the KRK KNS 8400 has less treble extension than the HD600 and a different FR, but overall the decay is quite similar. The HD600 has a slight advantage overall and is a bit quicker and doesn't have that little bump at 3khz harmonic, but this definitely backs up the idea that the KRK KNS 8400 is a very good headphone for its price bracket if it can compete in terms of decay like this.

Dec 26, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #111 of 214
From 200Hz a bit on upward, the 8400 seems quicker (until that ridge at 2kHz), from what I understand. It begins it downslope earlier. But that also explains why I've always heard fast upper harmonic transients from these headphones. Very interesting, thank you!

As far as subjective listening goes, the HD600 couldn't keep up with the 8400 on more complex music. Yes, it was very neutral and natural, which is what many like, but couldn't distinguish bass notes as well to the pitch OR keep a big band intact during complex passages that involved melodic diversity as well as rhythmic improvisation. 

Dec 26, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #112 of 214
Leaving aside the decay issue how do those two phones compare otherwise? I'm especially interested in the bass and mids, not a big treble head....also tonality or timbre. Does anyone have them both, or can compare them from memory? I'm perfectly satisfied with the hd580 other than the fact that it needs an amp. I'm looking for a phone that will sound equally good out of my 'Clip'.

Quote:
Hey, guys, check this out!

HD600 Waterfall CSD plot 
32c01da6ad1fefddd6f683b30880a472.png

KRK KNS 8400
04.CSD_KRK_KNS8400.png

I know there are dangers from directly comparing waterfall CSD plots, but I felt like sharing this. We can see that the KRK KNS 8400 has less treble extension than the HD600 and a different FR, but overall the decay is quite similar. The HD600 has a slight advantage overall and is a bit quicker and doesn't have that little bump at 3khz harmonic, but this definitely backs up the idea that the KRK KNS 8400 is a very good headphone for its price bracket if it can compete in terms of decay like this.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #113 of 214

Hey guys, after a lot of research and debating I was just about to order some hd518's for my dad, and the salesperson at headroom suggested these may be a good alternative. My pops likes vocalists especially, such as Tony Bennet, Frank Sinatra, Simon and Garfunkel, etc and also listens to a lot of "classic" jazz like Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, etc (not smooth jazz). He would be powering the headphones off of a PC.

Which of these sets of cans do you guys think would be best for him? How would you compare the presentation of vocals, and also the soundstage of the two pairs?

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #114 of 214

Quote:

Hey guys, after a lot of research and debating I was just about to order some hd518's for my dad, and the salesperson at headroom suggested these may be a good alternative. My pops likes vocalists especially, such as Tony Bennet, Frank Sinatra, Simon and Garfunkel, etc and also listens to a lot of "classic" jazz like Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, etc (not smooth jazz). He would be powering the headphones off of a PC.

Which of these sets of cans do you guys think would be best for him? How would you compare the presentation of vocals, and also the soundstage of the two pairs?

I responded in the other thread to your question.  I don't really remember the soundstage of the 518s, but I'd describe the soundstage of the 8400s as accurate, if perhaps a bit small.  Vocals are good.  They sound like humans.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #115 of 214
Is it reasonable to say that they are both acceptable choices, but the hd518 will likely be a bit warmer and perhaps have a bit larger soundstage, whereas the 8400 will be a clearer and more accurate portrayal (which can be both a good and a bad thing depending on the person's tastes and/or the recording)?

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #116 of 214

Quote:
Is it reasonable to say that they are both acceptable choices, but the hd518 will likely be a bit warmer and perhaps have a bit larger soundstage, whereas the 8400 will be a clearer and more accurate portrayal (which can be both a good and a bad thing depending on the person's tastes and/or the recording)?

I suppose so.  In my case, I prefer the clarity and accuracy.
However,  I wouldn't describe the 8400s as cold.  I might even say they're slightly warmer than neutral.

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #117 of 214
Wow! Headroom ships fast. I bought them a couple days ago and got them last night. I was up 'till 5:00am last night with these cans. I really like them. Honestly, I won't even be looking at my Pro 900 for a while. Honestly, I'm just gonna sell that thing.

The detail is really crazy. I notice the sound stage isn't as big as the Pro 900 but it is far from a deal breaker. It's not a bad sound stage. The bass is so lean. I hear it so clearly. They are really revealing too. I love them.

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #118 of 214
Just got the KRK KNS-8400 earlier this week and i've been using them everyday for at least ten hours straight with no regrets. After a burn in of three days they started to get very revealing with detailed separation of instruments and very clear vocals. They have a very balanced sound and are the first headphones i have heard which sound like speakers. Its like using bookshelf speakers in nearfield listening positioning but at any volume and without the positioning limitations. Its amazing how the tonal qualities show their differences especially with vocals. The KRK KNS-8400 are also alot of fun for games like Skyrim where audio is very realistic to the point where i dont have to pay attention because the sound just comes to me so naturally putting me in a relaxed state of immersion. The memory foam padding around the ears is excellent for isolation and i have yet to be distracted by anything going on in the environment. The things that i can hear are dulled to the point of not being bothersome sort of like having a pillow or cushion covering ones ears.

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #119 of 214

Quote:
Wow! Headroom ships fast. I bought them a couple days ago and got them last night. I was up 'till 5:00am last night with these cans. I really like them. Honestly, I won't even be looking at my Pro 900 for a while. Honestly, I'm just gonna sell that thing.

The detail is really crazy. I notice the sound stage isn't as big as the Pro 900 but it is far from a deal breaker. It's not a bad sound stage. The bass is so lean. I hear it so clearly. They are really revealing too. I love them.

I'm glad you like them. I can imagine what a relief they are after the Pro 900 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back