Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Sep 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #1,951 of 2,344
i personally like how the 840 pads sound the most.
Yep, I think I agree. The review Tdock did on the 440 pads is almost what I'm hearing with the 840's. I've use the M50 pads from day one. And they are great, But the Shure is another level. They are about 2mm bigger so they completely cover my ears. The M50's hurt after awhile. The tips of my ears rub the inside of the pads.
Plus the soundstage is HUGE with the Shures. It might even be bigger then my 558's. It does take a tad of the warmth away, just a small bit. I haven't noticed much bass loss tho.
Another big plus, NO HARDNESS, the m50 turn into a brick, not even months, like in one month. The Shure has the memory foam, comfort just sky rockets.
If you buy your Shures for Sonic on ebay make an offer, $13 bucks shipped. M50 will cost you up to $20, so they are made better and cheaper...

Sep 27, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #1,952 of 2,344
I really miss listening to these. They haven't been the same since I lost my M50 pads. I actually haven't listened to them since my last post in this tread.
I had my TBSE sitting in storage and I did try them for 5 minutes and they sounded abnormally awful for some reason. I think either the driver went bad or maybe there was something stuck on the driver.
I also have the DJ100 but never did a real A/B test.

I also made the dumb mistake of trying to mod the stock pads. That doesn't really help! I do think they're really a little bassier/congested with stock pads. Just nowhere near as good for classical and acoustic music with a good soundstage.

I remember when I used modded Auray Velours I got them to sound like a near clone of my HD-650 but even fuller sounding! Well minus some soundstage. Too bad those velours are not very comfortable.

I still have the Sheepskin pads but they're bassier than stock and I don't use them. Sounds too similar to stock.

I think SRH-440 pads are probably worse than SRH-840 pads, but maybe not? I imagine the SRH-840 pads give you more bass than 440 pads.

I think M50 pads will not go hard if I leave the headphones in storage when not in use.

My bass port modded Q701 is getting pretty close to how the TBSE/DJ100 sounds with M50 pads. The DJ100 still has more low bass and fuller mids. A little less treble on the DJ100. I actually think the DJ100 has just a tiny bit more low bass presence than my HD-650.

The DJ100 driver with the right setup is actually very revealing. It seems that whenever I used my DJ100 I could always hear any faults with my setup. For comparing DACs I always felt the HD-650 and DJ100 were the best to use.

modded Q701 is pretty dang close to my idea of an open DJ100. I think it would be impossible to have the mids of the DJ100 in an open headphone though. FYI the bass port modded Q701 has fuller mids than stock, more bass and maybe a little more low bass. No really changes in treble. The modded Q701 is now even closer to how my HD-650 sounds. Just has a more spacious/airy/large soundstage.

IMO the DJ100 with M50 pads and my setup had one of the largest soundstages from a closed headphone i've heard. Pretty impressive considering the mids are still full and there isn't a ton of extra treble.

modded Q701 might soon top my DJ100 with M50 pads as my favorite headphone. Who knows. People think that me putting the DJ100 as #1 is a joke, but i'm totally serious.
biggrin.gif

With it I don't feel like i'm missing anything that the Q701 and HD-650 has. Well just the soundstage and comfort.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #1,953 of 2,344
I'm not gonna quote your whole post:D
I think the M50 pads go hard not due to the air put more from heat. I have a backup pair of TBSE that I stored in my Garage. I have never even used them I just put a new pair of M50's on them and stuck them in storage. I went out last night and the pads are hard.
Stored in their case and not used. It's been in the 90's lately and my Garage get way above that during the day. Well over 100 in there. So I think heat is the main factor. I do have two unused stock pads and some M50's (1 used and 1 unused that I talked about above) I'm looking to try out a HM5 or any of their clones, if anyone wants to do a swap or has a pair for sale on the cheap?
Sonic sells them on ebay for $25, but I'd hate to blow another $ If I don't like them.

Normal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NVX-XRE100S-Replacement-ComfortMax-Standard-Cushions-for-NVX-XPT100-Headphones-/290974022145?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item43bf673a01

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #1,954 of 2,344
[...]
My bass port modded Q701 is getting pretty close to how the TBSE/DJ100 sounds with M50 pads. The DJ100 still has more
low bass and fuller mids. A little less treble on the DJ100. I actually think the DJ100 has just a tiny bit more low bass presence than my HD-650.

The DJ100 driver with the right setup is actually very revealing. It seems that whenever I used my DJ100 I could always hear any faults with my setup. For comparing DACs I always felt the HD-650 and DJ100 were the best to use.

modded Q701 is pretty dang close to my idea of an open DJ100. I think it would be impossible to have the mids of the DJ100 in an open headphone though. FYI the bass port modded Q701 has fuller mids than stock, more bass and maybe a little more low bass. No really changes in treble. The modded Q701 is now even closer to how my HD-650 sounds. Just has a more spacious/airy/large soundstage.
[...]
modded Q701 might soon top my DJ100 with M50 pads as my favorite headphone. Who knows. People think that me putting the DJ100 as #1 is a joke, but i'm totally serious. :D

With it I don't feel like i'm missing anything that the Q701 and HD-650 has. Well just the soundstage and comfort.

I own both DJ 100 (M50 pads) and Q701 (among others).
Don't get me wrong but I'm speechless :wink:)
I had to read 3x the part about the mids to believe it.
Who did sell you that magical Pro DJ again? David Copperfield?
I'm jealous.

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #1,955 of 2,344
I found my old modded Auray Velour pads! My DJ100/TBSE is now sounding closer to how it always was.

The problem though with these pads is that it makes the DJ100 almost too warm sounding.

Right now the mids are fuller than my HD-650 and modded Q701. Not shoved forward.

There's actually some low bass that doesn't even register on the HD-650 and modded Q701. Even on my free Tony Bennett cd!

When testing old tracks there are small details in recordings that are nearly inaudible on my Q701 and HD-650. Maybe it's because they're open but I doubt it. Mostly stuff that nobody would care about though.

It's the smoothest i've heard the DJ100. The problem with all this warmth is that it does give you an impression that you lost sound clarity. It's not muffled, but just not crystal clear. I'm not sure if you can imagine a headphone with "thicker" mids than the HD-650 but this is what those modded pads do.

It's weird comparing soundstage depth between the HD-650, DJ100 and Q701. The DJ100 with these pads is actually every bit as accurate. The width of the soundstage seems to be reduced when switching from M50 pads. I really need to buy more M50 pads. When I hear a song with distant male/female vocals in the recording on the DJ100 it sounds the same on my modded Q701 and HD-650 (stock Q701 isn't as good as modded in terms of soundstage depth. Don't ask me why!!).

The same bothersome treble/upper mids peaks that bother me on the Q701 and even HD-650(!) are still there on the DJ100.

It's really amusing how when I listen to songs on my modded Q701 they're not dramatically different on my DJ100 (with Auray/M50 pads) on the same setup. Modded Q701 is now even closer to my HD-650, but obviously it has more treble and upper mids.

DJ100 seems to get no credit for it's low bass extension/presence. It's better and more present than the Q701, HD-650 and even modded Q701. Only thing close was the KRK KNS-8400. I want accurate low bass and not bloated sub-bass. Can't believe how much low bass stuff seems to be non-existent on the modded Q701 and HD-650 in comparison.

BTW I actually think the DJ100 with upgraded pads sounds clearer than the stock Q701. With the modded Q701 they're close. To really hear the difference you need very good recordings though. Lower quality/bitrate tracks actually sound worse to me on the DJ100 than the Q701/HD-650!!

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #1,956 of 2,344
Hey.

I have the Pro DJ 200 and just got myself a Pro DJ 100, because it was only 29 € and who can resist to buy this thing for this price?  I also ordered the 840 Pads. Curious to see how this will turn out.

But here's my thing:
I don't know if the Pro DJ 100 will have to break in first, although they sound great right out of the box ... BUT:

The sound is different from my Pro DJ 200.
While the Pro DJ 200 is really "fine" and laid back, smooth and a little "flat" the Pro DJ 100 sounds more energetic and the bass is definitely more prominent - stronger, more punch. The Pro DJ 200 though seems to differentiate the sounds better.

I think the clamping force of the Pro DJ 100 is higher: it pushes stronger against my head. 
Do you guys think that might be one reason for the difference in sound?

And: does anybody know how heighten/lower pressure force of the headband? Can you just bend it, like with the AKG 550? I tried and it didn't seem to work.

Overall this is not my favorite headphone I've ever owned, that's got to be my Grado 325 (btw.: who ever says they are too bright must wear them the wrong way. Brilliant Headphones).

But the Pro DJ is my second most favorite headphone of all time and the one I use almost every day.

They are so underrated. Unbelievable. 

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #1,957 of 2,344
  Hey.

I have the Pro DJ 200 and just got myself a Pro DJ 100, because it was only 29 € and who can resist to buy this thing for this price?  I also ordered the 840 Pads. Curious to see how this will turn out.

But here's my thing:
I don't know if the Pro DJ 100 will have to break in first, although they sound great right out of the box ... BUT:

The sound is different from my Pro DJ 200.
While the Pro DJ 200 is really "fine" and laid back, smooth and a little "flat" the Pro DJ 100 sounds more energetic and the bass is definitely more prominent - stronger, more punch. The Pro DJ 200 though seems to differentiate the sounds better.

I think the clamping force of the Pro DJ 100 is higher: it pushes stronger against my head. 
Do you guys think that might be one reason for the difference in sound?

And: does anybody know how heighten/lower pressure force of the headband? Can you just bend it, like with the AKG 550? I tried and it didn't seem to work.

Overall this is not my favorite headphone I've ever owned, that's got to be my Grado 325 (btw.: who ever says they are too bright must wear them the wrong way. Brilliant Headphones).

But the Pro DJ is my second most favorite headphone of all time and the one I use almost every day.

They are so underrated. Unbelievable. 

Strange that the DJ200 sounds different than the DJ100. I heard the DJ200 in a store demo and it sounded pretty much the same but store demos are not usually that reliable.

The DJ100's clamping force is much greater out of the box. It usually goes away after a week. You could try to place it over a book and stretch it out over night and see if that works.

Have you found the DJ200 pads different than the DJ100? Someone earlier said that they were slightly different but not sure. Maybe they have more stuffing and are deeper.

I should try the DJ200 when it goes on sale. At Best Buy it was the best sounding headphone they had on demo. Second best was maybe the Pioneer HDJ-2000 but it was too expensive.

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #1,958 of 2,344

Strange that the DJ200 sounds different than the DJ100. I heard the DJ200 in a store demo and it sounded pretty much the same but store demos are not usually that reliable.

The DJ100's clamping force is much greater out of the box. It usually goes away after a week. You could try to place it over a book and stretch it out over night and see if that works.

Have you found the DJ200 pads different than the DJ100? Someone earlier said that they were slightly different but not sure. Maybe they have more stuffing and are deeper.

I should try the DJ200 when it goes on sale. At Best Buy it was the best sounding headphone they had on demo. Second best was maybe the Pioneer HDJ-2000 but it was too expensive.

I'm not sure if it's not just break in / clamping force. You can hear that it's basically the same driver etc. but there's these nuances. 

Just double checked the pads and apart from the terrible smell the new DJ100 has right now :wink: there's no difference I can see or feel. If it wasn't for the removable cable I couldn't tell one from the other, as I think it's supposed to be.

Makes sense that the clamping force will reduce after a while. Just did a little test: I put the Pro DJ 100 on upside down, with the headband under my chin. And guess what: it stays on. Really nice. The Pro DJ 200 falls of immediately. So from a practical, professional position I'd really like the higher clamping force to stay, because I actually use them for monitoring. I film with DSLR equipment and Zoom Recorders and use them on my Mac Pro as well. By the way: I guess I should revise my crappy review I posted to talk more about that :wink:

Any lead to how I could get the 200 to have more clamping force again? Hm. Maybe write to Koss support and see if they can help a little. 
It's great that the headband is so flexible, but that makes my clueless about what's inside of the band ... will try some stuff out tonight ... see what happens. :wink:

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #1,959 of 2,344
Here's a short chat with Koss:

Striva Support2:
l1j89m.gif
Are you trying to have the ear cups more secure?
Till:
l1j89m.gif
es!
Till:
l1j89m.gif
Yes. Sorry.
Till:
l1j89m.gif
Exactly.
Striva Support2:
l1j89m.gif
The design of the headphone does not allow adjustments for more or less tension on the ear cups.  We can not recommend a solution for your request.
Till:
l1j89m.gif
Hm. Yes. I understand. That is what I guessed, too.
Striva Support2:
l1j89m.gif
We apologize that we could not be of more assistance

wink_face.gif

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #1,961 of 2,344
  Has anyone tried these velour m50 pads?  Here is the link

Those look identical to the Auray(previously called Pearstone) Velour pads.
If so I don't suggest them because it makes the DJ100 too warm sounding, sort of too bassy (not in a good way).

I had to cut holes inside the pads just to get good results and reduce the bass (4 in each corner similar to M50 pads). It still makes the DJ100 way warmer than stock but it's kind of nice. You can read my previous posts above somewhere about them.
With the modded pads the DJ100 is actually fuller sounding than the HD-650. That's not normal!

I actually played through Bioshock 2 years ago using those un-modded pads and the DJ100. I really liked it but there is a little less treble.

I guess if you want your DJ100 way warmer and even more bassy, then get those. I think you just sacrifice treble. DJ100 doesn't need any less treble really.

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #1,962 of 2,344
Thanks Tdock.  I have the Tony Bennet dj100 and I replaced the cord with a nice one from monoprice.com.  That was a step up in sound, much clearer.  I then replaced the stock pads with the
ath-m40 pads and that was another step up.   They sound fantastic now, very clear, but they are still uncomfortable after awhile and the pads make my ears sweat.  So I am still looking for some comfortable pads that don't make me sweat.  I also had the regular dj100 but I sold them because they are a slight step down from the Tony Bennetts because you cannot replace the cord and they are slightly less clear.  They are still very good and fun sounding.  The Tony Bennet dj100 with the new cord and pads made me realize that my sony mdr7506 headphones really
hype the treble and are missing mids.  I was shocked because I loved those mdr7506s.  I sold the sonys and bought another pair of Tony Bennets. 

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #1,963 of 2,344
Well, I had no luck with increasing the clamping force of my Pro DJ 200. Thought a moment about trying to open the headband up ... but ... no :wink:

But on the topic of differences in the sound of my new Pro DJ 100 and my Pro DJ 200:
The Pro DJ 100 is much better. Bass is a little too much for my taste, but everything is much more energetic. And I got myself a pair of Shure 840 ear pads and that improved the sound greatly, because the bass is cleaner and a lot less prominent, staging and detail also improved a lot. 

I'm so impressed by the Pro DJ 100. It's just wow.

The thing is I already liked my Pro DJ 200 a lot, but compared to the 100 it doesn'T stand a chance.
It's a lot more quiet on the same source, with same volume. Everything feels to flat. Bass has no punch / volume at all.

What can be the reason for this? Maybe the cable or the jack for the interchangeable cable?
That is the only thing that might cause this difference in quality I can think of right now.

What could I do to improve the sound of the Pro DJ 200? Any suggestions?

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #1,964 of 2,344
  Well, I had no luck with increasing the clamping force of my Pro DJ 200. Thought a moment about trying to open the headband up ... but ... no :wink:

But on the topic of differences in the sound of my new Pro DJ 100 and my Pro DJ 200:
The Pro DJ 100 is much better. Bass is a little too much for my taste, but everything is much more energetic. And I got myself a pair of Shure 840 ear pads and that improved the sound greatly, because the bass is cleaner and a lot less prominent, staging and detail also improved a lot. 

I'm so impressed by the Pro DJ 100. It's just wow.

The thing is I already liked my Pro DJ 200 a lot, but compared to the 100 it doesn'T stand a chance.
It's a lot more quiet on the same source, with same volume. Everything feels to flat. Bass has no punch / volume at all.

What can be the reason for this? Maybe the cable or the jack for the interchangeable cable?
That is the only thing that might cause this difference in quality I can think of right now.

What could I do to improve the sound of the Pro DJ 200? Any suggestions?

I wonder why the DJ200 sounds different for you than the DJ100? Strange. I would have thought they'd be identical in sound.
I need to try the SRH-840 pads again. Last time I tried them they reduced the bass too much for me and made it sound too thin/trebly. Maybe I just didn't try them long enough!
It seems that for me the best pads are those that have foam backing. Not sure why.

I should try the DJ200 at Best Buy some more. When I tried it before it sounded like the DJ100 too me but couldn't do an A/B comparison obviously.

Not sure what you could do to improve the DJ200.

Right now I have the Tony Bennet and DJ100. Haven't compared them yet because my stock pads are destroyed.

I wonder if there is anything different inside the cups of the DJ200 compared to the DJ100..probably not.

Some say the Tony Bennett version has a little more treble than the DJ100. Maybe this is the case with the DJ200?

I also read from someone that DJ200 pads might have extra stuffing in them or other small differences. I hope this is true!

Koss should make them deeper and add foam backing to the pads. Re-create something similar to the M50 pad sound.

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #1,965 of 2,344
I have both but I like the 200 because it has less bass and better clarity than the 100. As a matter of fact,I modded my 200 with plasticine clay around the drivers for tighter bass and a different cable,a Griffin Survivor cable to be exact. The stock cables are not useful me so I switched to a straight cable. I amp my 200's with a Fiio E11 so I get plenty of volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back