Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Jun 22, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #1,891 of 2,344
Quote:
Must not be listed on Staples page... I'll have to check with them.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

I went to Staples. They had the TBSE on display, but no pricing at all. The clerk verified that they were being blown out for $30 and found a pair in the back that I bought... and am enjoying way more than I expected to!

size]

Jun 22, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #1,892 of 2,344
Wow I'll have to check there on Monday Thanks!

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #1,893 of 2,344
Just got off the phone with my local Tuesday Morning. They have the TBSE in stock right now for 50 clams.
Now that truly is an offer I can't refuse.
I'm gonna go get my Tonys now.
50 bucks, detachable cable, case, lifetime warranty, and I'm already a KSC75 junkie.
It would be wrong not to buy these, almost immoral.

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #1,894 of 2,344
Quote:
Just got off the phone with my local Tuesday Morning. They have the TBSE in stock right now for 50 clams.
Now that truly is an offer I can't refuse.
I'm gonna go get my Tonys now.
50 bucks, detachable cable, case, lifetime warranty, and I'm already a KSC75 junkie.
It would be wrong not to buy these, almost immoral.

I think fans of the KSC75 (like me) would like these. For those that prefer the Porta Pro there is always the UR-55.
Supposedly the KSC75 and Porta Pro drivers are the same but the KSC75 has a titanium coating just like the DJ100/TB.
KSC75 is supposed to be a little brighter than the Porta Pro.

My old favorite was the Koss TNT/55. Radioshack sold that long ago for $40 but nearly always had it for half off. I think it's the same as the KTXPro1 but was larger and maybe used a KSC35 driver or something.

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #1,896 of 2,344
Quote:

I think fans of the KSC75 (like me) would like these. For those that prefer the Porta Pro there is always the UR-55.
Supposedly the KSC75 and Porta Pro drivers are the same but the KSC75 has a titanium coating just like the DJ100/TB.
KSC75 is supposed to be a little brighter than the Porta Pro.

My old favorite was the Koss TNT/55. Radioshack sold that long ago for $40 but nearly always had it for half off. I think it's the same as the KTXPro1 but was larger and maybe used a KSC35 driver or something.

From this post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/638757/koss-ksc75s-dont-forget-about-this-giant-killer-in-all-the-hype/60#post_9447961

"KTXPro uses flat back titanium drivers, the same as in a KSC55 (the 55 uses a neck band).

KSC75 driver is titanium coated too, but with round-back housing. They don't sound the same as the 55's, the 75 has too much brightness, boarder-line harsh.

The Sporta/Porta/KSC35 all use flat-back non-coated drivers. To me they are the best sounding 60 Ohm koss driver."

Fwiw, I don't agree with the "75 has too much brightness, boarder-line harsh" bit - I don't hear that at all.

And the jury is still out for me regarding the ksc75 (on headband) versus the modded sportapros - I am loving them both, but the extra bass out of the sportapro's turns me on.

As far as the TBSE's are concerned, they are great as well. Technically they are no match for the ATH WS99's, but still, they are technically very good. I am also really enjoying their deeper soundstage, and think that I may even prefer their overall signature over my ws99's for certain genres such as rock. So obviously they are amazing for the price. Looking forward to trying out the M50 pads once I find a good deal on them.

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #1,897 of 2,344
Listening to Talking Heads "Speaking In Tongues" on my old Iphone 3g with the Wolfson chip actually sounds BETTER than through my Onkyo home receiver.
Much better separation and soundstage.
Well worth 50 bucks.

I love this album by btw.

Jun 23, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #1,898 of 2,344
My Tony's love my favorite band, XTC!
Currently just killing it on XTC's "Drums and Wires"
Unlike my HTF600's. My ears aren't reaching through the bass to get to the vocals and guitar tones. I find those to be the worst rock headphones ever.
Very frustrating, like trying to listen to a short kid who mumbles talking behind a bunch of defensive lineman wearing parkas.
My Tony's have no such problem. I can hear Andy Partridge's manic vocals clearly with good air beneath em'.

Jun 23, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #1,900 of 2,344
Cool! I've been rocking to Radiohead with the TBSE's for most of the day 
size]

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #1,902 of 2,344
Called the local Staples, they have them here for $30 gonna pick up a pair on the way home!
Thanks Guys!

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #1,903 of 2,344
For anyone having problems with the DuetsII download code (from the deals thread):

Fwiw, the code didn't work from the TBSE's that I bought at Staples yesterday. My guess is that the code has been already used (the seal was broken on the box, so that's a possibility). I sent support@myplaydigital.com an email to see if they could rectify it for me.

Fyi, I got an email back from from them. They provided me with a different DuetsII code, and I now have it downloaded. Excellent!

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #1,904 of 2,344
I finally got a chance to test these straight from the E17 connected to my PC. Sounds pretty good and no real complaints (yet).
I switched over to using it as just a DAC (with L7) to my Micro Amp and it sounded ever better. Seems like everything was a bit more clear and spacious sounding. That's just a quick 5 sec impression.
I have to admit that the E17 has somewhat impressed me as a DAC. I rarely used the amp part though. You can switch between it and the Modi and hear the differences. The Modi seems to have a slightly larger soundstage and sounds a bit clearer.
E17 seems a bit more forgiving somehow and maybe not as detailed. I have no interest in comparing them really since I like both.

The DJ100 I have hasn't impressed me yet with it's (crystal clear) sound clarity like it usually does but I think it needs maybe a week of use or at least a few days. Based on my old pairs the DJ100 seems to get clearer and clearer after the first few days.
The headband is still pretty stiff and the comfort is so-so at the moment. Sounds hard to believe, but somehow these pads get more comfortable with use. My KRK KNS-6400 was like that.

I think i'm going to order more M50 pads ASAP. The imaging and soundstage isn't as good as I remember, but still not bad. Probably not a huge difference. I think it's just the stock pads maybe holding some things back very slightly.

One thing I want to check and compare is if really harsh/bright recordings might sound worse on stock pads compared to M50 pads. I might be wrong though. I think the DJ100 is fairly forgiving of recordings with peaks in the treble though. Not like my HD-650 though.

I'm also going to open my pair and see how the holes are drilled. The latest ones have all the holes in the cup drilled straight down to the metal. My older pairs were not this way for some reason. Not sure if this would alter the sound in any way or not. My guess is that the pairs that have been drilled deeper have maybe a tiny bit more treble.

It does feel a bit weird listening to the stock DJ100 after using the TB with M50 pads for nearly 1 1/2 years. The DJ100 is definitely warmer sounding to me with stock pads and the E17 adds a tad more warmth but not enough to ruin anything. I actually found the HRT MSII to be warmer than the E17.

Jun 24, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #1,905 of 2,344
The Doors playing on the TBSE's right now, very very nice. Wow what a deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back