Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
May 8, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #1,861 of 2,344
Quote:
I dunno how anyone could think DJ100 dark and boomy, that's the most distant description I could think of the phone. 
confused_face.gif

what's your setup? pads? DJ 100? TBSE? DJ 200? american? european version? year?
regular pads vs. M50 pads for example = night and day
and think of "dark + boomy" as "strongly recessed upper mids + overwhelming and rather uncontrolled bass" (i guess that everyone has its own definition of dark, what's yours? warm, laid-back, recessed highs, ... ?) 

or something like here below?
Dark
ph34r.gif
 +  Boomy
basshead.gif
  =   
floatsmile.png

May 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #1,862 of 2,344
Quote:

what's your setup? pads? DJ 100? TBSE? DJ 200? american? european version? year?
and think of "dark + boomy" as "strongly recessed upper mids + overwhelming and rather uncontrolled bass" (i guess that everyone has its own definition of dark, what's yours? warm, laid-back, recessed highs, ... ?) 

Dark
ph34r.gif
 +  Boomy
basshead.gif
  =   
floatsmile.png

DJ 100 bought in Vietnam from Authorized Retailer / Real M50 pads/ Foobar 2000 / Fiio E17 / No eq

Never dark, never boomy (less open space between my ears?).  My high-res music / MFSL-mastered files / superb vinyl rips all sound excellent through these. The Beatles 24-bit USB sounds especially good (with a little help from crossfeed on Foobar). Garbage in, garbage out, people.

May 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #1,863 of 2,344
Quote:

Dark
ph34r.gif
 +  Boomy
basshead.gif
  =   
floatsmile.png

all stock, usa, 2011.

my definition is same as yours (with bass here mean the midbass) maybe even more sensitive, heck, I even think 1r and es700 have boomy bass.

May 19, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #1,865 of 2,344
Quote:
Took apart my dj100. What drivers are the same size as them? I like the dj100s frame but koss's house sound is kinda w/e to me.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk 2

Grado SR-80 drivers are the same exact size. You can fit a SR-80 driver in a DJ100. DJ100 driver in an SR-80 would be..interesting.

May 19, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #1,866 of 2,344
I don't think you can use the DJ100 drivers in other headphones. Because of the extra solder terminals, I can't get them to work with regular pos/neg/ground wires.

I tried ATH-T300 drivers, but they don't quite work. They're the same size, but the shape of the drivers are slightly different.

Btw, T300 drivers sound freaking incredible for $20 drivers. Raw driver alone sounds better than ran DJ100 drivers easily. The thing is that the T300 is in a generic, poorly constructed hard plastic body/baffle. I wanted to try to transplanting it to the DJ100 body. Once I get a dremal I think I can.

May 19, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #1,867 of 2,344
Quote:
I don't think you can use the DJ100 drivers in other headphones. Because of the extra solder terminals, I can't get them to work with regular pos/neg/ground wires.

Works just fine for me in other shells. On my DJ100 drivers there only two solder areas on each driver. I've never seen any drivers that were any different. Of course it requires a total recable.

So far i've put a DJ100 driver in an HD-497 and XB500 (sounded awful).

I actually bought a T300 at Sears on sale a few months ago. Didn't know a thing about it. I actually bought it to try it's pads with the DJ100. Ended up returning it.
Didn't like the headphone at all. Reminded me of the Koss UR-20. Not enough treble for me. One $20 headphone I like is the Koss UR-22v. It has much more treble than the UR-20 and it works with V6 and my velour pads.

T300 sounded more bassy than the DJ100 if I remember right. I don't need any more bass than what the DJ100 or HD-650 has.

Actually the UR-55 is quite bassy and I did like that. I prefer it to even the Porta Pro.

May 19, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #1,868 of 2,344
The bass comes from the enclosure and pleat her pads. The t300 would sound amazing in a different enclosure, and could benefit from having an open back.

I'll take pictures of my prodj drivers and have you examine.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk 2

May 29, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #1,870 of 2,344
I just picked up the TBSE today new for $60 at a local store. 

First thought straight out of my iPhone I was not too impressed. Mind you I normally use my Q701's but needed a closed HP for privacy reasons.

I have now been listening to them for a couple hours now, using a Bravo 12AU7 tube amp and I have to say they have really opened up. For the price I am extremely satisfied with them, amped of course.

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #1,872 of 2,344
Amazon just made me an offer I couldn't refuse, and I snagged a pair of 100's just now for 39.99.
I own KSC75's and they are ridiculously detailed for 15 bucks, and now it seems I may be getting another steal.

Thanks for the message, snagged it too just now. Funnily it said only one left in stock, I bought it and its still available. Sales psychology 101.

Anyhow, because I was in such a hurry I forgot to purchase upgrade pads, which ones are the best that fit? Are they worth it?

Cheers,
K

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #1,874 of 2,344
Hmmm,

I can't wait to receive the Prod DJ 100 and pitch them against a my other budget cans (and maybe the expensive ones). Namely the Superlux HD661. HD668B, HD681. Guess that will be fun. But it will take at least one week if not more until they arrive here.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back