Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Mar 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #1,621 of 2,344
Hey Tdock,

I was reading over your earpad section of the Koss Pro DJ100 and thought about getting the Pearstone Deluxe Velour pads. But I have a few questions:

• When you said stuffing a small amount of tissues underneath stock pads can sort of mimic what M50 pads can achieve on DJ100, how much is a small amount? Is half sheet of a regular kleenex tissue folded too much?
  • Between Pearstone/Auray Deluxe Velour pads and M50 pads, has your opinion changed between the two?
  • By cutting eraser head sized holes underneath the Auray Deluxe, do you means flipping the pad inserts outward and cut holes underneath the pads?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #1,622 of 2,344
Quote:
Hey Tdock,

I was reading over your earpad section of the Koss Pro DJ100 and thought about getting the Pearstone Deluxe Velour pads. But I have a few questions:

• When you said stuffing a small amount of tissues underneath stock pads can sort of mimic what M50 pads can achieve on DJ100, how much is a small amount? Is half sheet of a regular kleenex tissue folded too much?
  • Between Pearstone/Auray Deluxe Velour pads and M50 pads, has your opinion changed between the two?
  • By cutting eraser head sized holes underneath the Auray Deluxe, do you means flipping the pad inserts outward and cut holes underneath the pads?

Thanks in advance!

For the tissues, you basically need to experiment. I think that there should not be so much that the tissues stick out too much. I think the perfect amount is so that you don't see it. I think the trick is to put enough in there so the pads aren't as flat. 1-2 pieces of Kleenex or similar should be fine for each side of EACH pad. There might not be a difference in sound for some.

For the Auray Velour pads you cut a hole on the inside edges of the outer pads (not the bottom of the pad of course). It's really hard to see. Make sure the holes are not larger than the size of an eraser head. Sometimes it's tricky. It doesn't have to be perfect, but I used scissors. It's best to have them in the same exact areas though. You might even like these pads without the holes. I just didn't need my TBSE sounding that warm. There's got to be a better way to cut circles in them without scissors. I doubt a hole punch would work. Make sure you don't have the holes too close to the edge. I would start with only 2 holes and then go from there.

Right now i'm still using the Auray Sheepskin pads. Comfort is OK but not as good as brand new Velours or M50 pads. They're slightly better than stock for comfort, but the sound is as good as the Velour pads. Slightly less warm. No mods required!

I think for those that are ok with the stock comfort and want slightly improved sound, the Sheepskin pads are perfect. They're softer than stock pads but have the same amount of depth.They're a bit more comfortable than stock but need to be stretched out somewhat for best results. I think it will take a week for them to be perfect.

I still would like to find an ultra thin piece of foam to place over the driver using stock pads.

Still haven't found a way to get stock pads to sound as good as the Velours or Sheepskin pads.

EDIT: BTW if anyone is curious how the Modi is for the DJ100/TBSE, I just ordered one yesterday. I HOPE it arrives before Saturday if it's in stock. Maybe it's backordered but it said that it ships in 1-2 days.

I'm completely baffled why the soundstage of my Ipod 3G is larger than the ODAC when using it with my Micro Amp.

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #1,623 of 2,344
Just placed my order on those Auray Velour pads, should get here by the end of the week so I can see if they will improve the comfort and sound.

I went ahead and stuffed some tissues under the stock pads as well and it seems like there's quite a bit more bass than stock without tissues! Thankfully the mids didn't change much (perhaps not changed at all), but i felt like the trebles changed a bit and I couldn't pinpoint what it was (initial impression was that trebles might be a bit less prominent than before due to the bass boost?). Either way I'm going to keep the tissues in for now to see if I can hear what's going on with the trebles.

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #1,624 of 2,344
Got in the Aurray Velour Pads in today.  It seems to me it made the sound more flat and brighter compare to the stock pads?  Not too sure I like the sound now.  On the other hand comfort wise it definitely felt much better then the stock ones.  I'm curious, is it suppose to sound like that or is there something wrong?  I definitely prefer the warmer sound I get from the stock pads.  Would an Amp make it sound better?  I think I have the fatiguing treble symptom you mention in the OP.

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #1,625 of 2,344
Quote:
Got in the Aurray Velour Pads in today.  It seems to me it made the sound more flat and brighter compare to the stock pads?  Not too sure I like the sound now.  On the other hand comfort wise it definitely felt much better then the stock ones.  I'm curious, is it suppose to sound like that or is there something wrong?  I definitely prefer the warmer sound I get from the stock pads.  Would an Amp make it sound better?  I think I have the fatiguing treble symptom you mention in the OP.

That's strange. I find them much warmer than stock and enough to be annoying. That's with the Magni+ODAC which are neutral. I honestly would not have suggested them without mods. Without mods I found they actually DECREASE treble and not increase it. Of course there could be minor variations with a person's setup and how well they're amped. With my TBSE they made it WAAAAAY too warm without the hole mod! Hard to believe I know..

I think with pads it's hard to say what they might sound like for someone since we all hear differently and have different sized ears etc.

I actually would think the foam smooths out the treble and not make it worse.

I owned them for about 6 months and never used mine much until I modded them. I won't suggest this if you can return them. That might be best. I put 4 holes on the inside edges of the pads. About the size of an eraser head on each corner. It's hard to reach this area. The bass on my pair was slightly bloated without mods.

I also have the TBSE, which should be 100% identical, but there could be some minor variations. I think someone said their TBSE has slightly more treble than the DJ100. This could be due to the holes drilled differently.

I would try another source if you can and see if it improves.

IMO the difference between a well amped DJ100 and one from a portable is quite a big difference to me. Honestly I have not tried these (modded) pads from many portable players, just my Ipod 3G. It was perfect with that.
From a portable player the DJ100 with non-modded Pearstone pads might sound dramatically different, but i'm not sure.

I was actually surprised how I didn't like the DJ100 with the Clip+ using stock pads, but with M50 pads it's perfect!

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #1,626 of 2,344
After testing a bit on my Onkyo Receiver (HC-RT180) they do sound a bit better with music coming from it then my Clip+.  Maybe I do need an Amp?  Gonna burn them in during work and see if they sound better over time too.

Also I think I agree with you on the HD650 about taking the edge off bright recordings.  Demoed one today at B&H and definitely made a few of my song on my Clip+ sound warmer.  Now if I can only get one without busting my budget. :)

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #1,627 of 2,344
Quote:
After testing a bit on my Onkyo Receiver (HC-RT180) they do sound a bit better with music coming from it then my Clip+.  Maybe I do need an Amp?  Gonna burn them in during work and see if they sound better over time too.

Also I think I agree with you on the HD650 about taking the edge off bright recordings.  Demoed one today at B&H and definitely made a few of my song on my Clip+ sound warmer.  Now if I can only get one without busting my budget. :)

I should try these pads with the Clip+. I don't think i've tried that before...95% of the time I use my DJ100 with my desktop amp.
For awhile I was thinking of getting the E17 but I figured it might sound too similar to the E10 (which I didn't like).

There is also the new Jdslabs C5 and Fiio E12.

Strangely enough the DJ100 doesn't change a bit when the output impedance of a receiver is too high. Weird. My receiver has a 330 ohm (?!) output impedance and the DJ100 is somehow fine with this. I also have an Onkyo but never tried that more than a few times.

To me the HD-650 isn't really that much better than the TBSE/DJ100 when using a desktop amp/dac. Sure it has a larger soundstage and is more airy sounding, but it's not $250 better. I do love the HD-650 though.

I really do need to give the E7 another chance.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #1,628 of 2,344
Quote:
To me the HD-650 isn't really that much better than the TBSE/DJ100 when using a desktop amp/dac. Sure it has a larger soundstage and is more airy sounding, but it's not $250 better. I do love the HD-650 though.

Well another thing I really liked about the HD650 was the comfort.  They felt really good over my ears.  Gonna try to get a pair for home use while using the DJ100 for portable use.

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #1,629 of 2,344
Quote:
I should try these pads with the Clip+. I don't think i've tried that before...95% of the time I use my DJ100 with my desktop amp.
For awhile I was thinking of getting the E17 but I figured it might sound too similar to the E10 (which I didn't like).

There is also the new Jdslabs C5 and Fiio E12.

Strangely enough the DJ100 doesn't change a bit when the output impedance of a receiver is too high. Weird. My receiver has a 330 ohm (?!) output impedance and the DJ100 is somehow fine with this. I also have an Onkyo but never tried that more than a few times.

I really do need to give the E7 another chance.

E17 and E10 are more similar than different. If you didn't like the E10, you probably won't like the E17. I can't remember hearing too much of a difference when I used the DJ100 on both of them.

Saw a few pages back you bought the Modi. Excited to hear about your findings, pairing with the Magni, and comparison to ODAC.

I hate associating price with being "better". Yeah, sometimes that's the case (when it comes to materials, knowledge, technology, etc.) but every company in existence realizes that concept, and most of them would be hard pressed not to take that advantage to rake in some extra dough...

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #1,630 of 2,344

Possibly because they have a relatively flat impedance curve? It's not ruler flat like ortho's but it's relatively flat compared to something like the HD 650... Inner Fidelity's charts for the TBSE show small (<5 ohm) bumps in the sub bass and around 2k Hz, whereas the HD 650's impedance curve shifts by a couple hundred ohm across the frequency range.

Damping may be another story altogether tho but this is as far as my basic EE knowledge takes me right now... :p

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #1,631 of 2,344
Got my Magni and Modi in the mail yesterday. Plugged my DJ100 (stock pads) in and I can tell that things sound a bit smoother. I'm not experienced with all of this at all, but I don't notice big differences. This is just comparing between listening to 320kbps songs on my iTune through my laptop headphone jack and switching to the Magni connected to the Modi.

The DJ100 with stock pads is still too bassy for me. I'll have to bring my TBSE with M50 pads home to try them on the stack sometime. 

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #1,632 of 2,344
Just got my Auray velour pads in the mail today. It was a pain in the rear to get them onto my TBSE but damn it changed the sound signature significantly, it almost turned my TBSE into a different set of headphone! It seems like the bass is a bit better than with stock pads, but not by much.  They definitely brought out the trebles, things are more detailed and the general sound signature became significantly brighter than what it used to be, to my surprise. The mids are knocked down by a notch, not to the point where it sounds like a V-shaped frequency response but they're definitely not as prominent as they used to be. I'm driving them with Schiit's M&M combo, if anybody's curious.

Edit: welp, looks like i'm gonna have to eat some of my own words. Bass is not just a bit better, it's much better; the mids I know and love from the stock pads are coming back; the trebles are still stronger than stock, definitely more detailed than before. Soundstage is also bigger than before. Probably has something to do with these velour pads breaking in after over 5 hours of wearing them.

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #1,633 of 2,344
Can't wait to get my Modi in. Should be here on Thursday. That'll be 3 people in this thread with the M&M combo!
normal_smile .gif

It took me a few weeks to want to buy the Modi, but i'll be comparing it to my ODAC.

I'll test out the Sheepskin pads vs the modded Pearstone Velors some more. Sheepskin pads sound like my modded Velours and no poking holes in them required!

My guess would have been that the non-modded Velours would boost the lower mids slightly, but make the upper mids sound more recessed (They're not stock at all IMO). I guess it's all a balancing act.

I've noticed sometimes with good pads (and DAC)  the soundstage/imaging of the DJ100 is much more accurate. For example, eddie vedder or other singers can sound more distant and this really fools me. Turns out it's how it is in the recording.
I like the variations of recordings where they often sound like the vocals are right up in your face and then spaced back a bit or distant when you switch tracks. I don't get this effect as much on the stock pads. Especially without a nice DAC.
The Tony Bennett album is a perfect match for the TBSE/DJ100, especially with upgraded pads. One songs sounds like they're in an empty bar or club and you're sitting there and his voiced is spaced back a little. This exact distance is almost undetectable on some headphones.
I do think upgraded pads are much more accurate to the recording for whatever reason.

I'm not a fan of the genre, but the "Buena Vista Social Club" cd is impressive on the DJ100 when used with the Magni, a good DAC and upgraded pads. It just sounds nice and full sounding on the DJ100. Even the soundstage is impressive for such a small closed headphone with that album.

I think my favorite headphone for acoustic music is either the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000 or K400. K400 is mind blowing with some acoustic music. That headphone isn't that great for all genres though.

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #1,634 of 2,344
Damn I want some velour pads but I can't justify paying $30-$40 on pads for a $60 headphone :p

Also, I just noticed the top reviewer on amazon is tdockweiler. good stuff! I only noticed when you mentioned about poking holes into the pearstone pads haha

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #1,635 of 2,344
Quote:
Damn I want some velour pads but I can't justify paying $30-$40 on pads for a $60 headphone :p

Also, I just noticed the top reviewer on amazon is tdockweiler. good stuff! I only noticed when you mentioned about poking holes into the pearstone pads haha

I have no problems paying $30 considering it sounds as good as my HD-650 (with the same dac and amp). I'm going to go crazy and buy a fancy amp for it someday too. Maybe i'll be dumb and get a Lyr + Bifrost for it
biggrin.gif

To me the idea of it being only $55 and sounding this good is kind of funny.

Koss headphones usually sound better than what they cost. Just look at the KSC75 and now the Koss UR-22V. When you use HM5 pads on the UR-22v there is no way that's $19 (or $40) headphone. Sounds as good as some $80 headphones.
Too bad it has the clamp of death. M50 and V6 pads also fit that. It has more of a fun sound signature, but  less so with better pads.

Oh and I will say that some of the Koss headphones are HORRIBLE. I guess they can't all be good. I think I threw out my 4AAAT. I don't know why mine sounds so bad. I'm sure the 4AA is much better. My 4AAAT was very dark and severely muffled.
Have you seen the Koss MV1 graphs on Goldenears? They're very very disturbing but I don't always trust graphs. The MV1 wasn't that bad.

The Koss A/250 is also just plain weird, but it does impress me in some areas. I think i'd only love that thing on a very warm setup. It has some of the thinnest mids i've heard.

I want to try the new Koss over-ear headphones, but they're so ugly I will never buy them. They look like a rainbow has thrown up all over them. Seriously why is it so hard for Koss to release a black or plain grey version? I suggested they do this on their Facebook page but no such luck. They look ultra comfortable too (but kind of cheap). Think it's called the Rukus. The over ear version is the RUK50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back