Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Mar 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #1,606 of 2,344
I just received M50 pads to replace the stock ones on my TBSE. 

I've been listening solely to my Q701 for the past few days, but I thought I'd try to listen to the Q701 and the TBSE with stock pads, and then with the M50 pads in order to compare the differences in sound.

I remember when I first tried swapping the stock TBSE pads with the pads from my M50, I thought it was too treble-ly and bass light.

I'm listening to Pandora streaming from my smartphone now. With the Q701, everything sounded nice. Don't know how else to describe it. 
When I switched over to the TBSE with stock pads, everything sounded kind of distorted and very "in-your-face". It could be because I needed to turn up the volume for the Q701. I didn't adjust the volume before listening to the TBSE.

I put on the Q701 again and everything sounded gravy. I changed out the pads on the TBSE to the M50 pads and then put those on. I notice there's an increase in treble and a decrease in boomy bass. Interesting thing is, I can tell that the quality of the music wasn't very good when using the TBSE with M50 pads. The music sounded kind of thin and there was static-like noise that makes me think of lo-fi music. I didn't notice this with the Q701. Things sound smoother with the Q701.

Conclusion: I like the way my Q701 sound, because it doesn't have boomy bass. I felt that the TBSE/DJ100 has bass that's too heavy for me at times. Maybe that'll be solved with a dac (which I'll be receiving from Schiit in 3 days!). With the M50 pads on, the reduction in boomy bass makes me a happy camper. The difference between using M50 and stock pads seem pretty huge to me.

I'll have to compare my TBSE with M50 pads to my DJ100 with stock pads sometime to see if the difference is really that huge. 

Another thing: Before owning the Q701, I felt like the clamp on the DJ100/TBSE were pretty loose. After using the Q701 for a week, the TSBE felt so tight!

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #1,607 of 2,344
Love my Koss DJ100s with the m50 pads! Thanks tdockweiler for the great review and the tips on getting these great little cans to sound so good. After reading a lot of posts, I believe that the bulk of the opinions confirm this simple mod have a positive impact on the sound.

I also use a Fiio11 amp; which, enhances my listening experience also IMO. 

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #1,608 of 2,344
Quote:
I just received M50 pads to replace the stock ones on my TBSE. 

I've been listening solely to my Q701 for the past few days, but I thought I'd try to listen to the Q701 and the TBSE with stock pads, and then with the M50 pads in order to compare the differences in sound.

I remember when I first tried swapping the stock TBSE pads with the pads from my M50, I thought it was too treble-ly and bass light.

I'm listening to Pandora streaming from my smartphone now. With the Q701, everything sounded nice. Don't know how else to describe it. 
When I switched over to the TBSE with stock pads, everything sounded kind of distorted and very "in-your-face". It could be because I needed to turn up the volume for the Q701. I didn't adjust the volume before listening to the TBSE.

I put on the Q701 again and everything sounded gravy. I changed out the pads on the TBSE to the M50 pads and then put those on. I notice there's an increase in treble and a decrease in boomy bass. Interesting thing is, I can tell that the quality of the music wasn't very good when using the TBSE with M50 pads. The music sounded kind of thin and there was static-like noise that makes me think of lo-fi music. I didn't notice this with the Q701. Things sound smoother with the Q701.

Conclusion: I like the way my Q701 sound, because it doesn't have boomy bass. I felt that the TBSE/DJ100 has bass that's too heavy for me at times. Maybe that'll be solved with a dac (which I'll be receiving from Schiit in 3 days!). With the M50 pads on, the reduction in boomy bass makes me a happy camper. The difference between using M50 and stock pads seem pretty huge to me.

I'll have to compare my TBSE with M50 pads to my DJ100 with stock pads sometime to see if the difference is really that huge. 

Another thing: Before owning the Q701, I felt like the clamp on the DJ100/TBSE were pretty loose. After using the Q701 for a week, the TSBE felt so tight!

To my ears the DJ100/TBSE with a good setup is quite revealing. I know this is hard to believe, but I find it even more revealing of any changes in my setup and the quality of the music than the Q701. I think it also has to do with how it's closed and some things are heard much more easily.

I remember long ago I was playing Fallout 3 and it sounded great on the Q701 and my HD-580. What I couldn't figure out is that every time I switched to the KRK KNS-8400/6400 and the DJ100 it sounded almost kind of muffled and not too clear. It turns out that these headphones were just more revealing of how the soundtrack really sounds like. For some reason it's a bit harder for me to hear the clearness of a song on the Q701. Even the muffled sounding Inception soundtrack seems ok on the Q701.

With my Q701 and video games it's a little harder to determine the type of room i'm in and it's size (stupid easy if it's huge!). For the longest time there was a certain area in "Dark Souls" that sounded so awful on the DJ100. It's only due to the being in room made of stone that had a ton of echos and is not very wide. It sounded like I was walking around in something really hollow. It's the blacksmith area in Dark Souls in Undead Parish. For a week I kept thinking something was "off" on my TBSE!

If the DJ100/TBSE sounds bloated in the bass, it might be worth trying many other sources. Maybe your source has a frequency response that has elevated bass? I know some of the old Sony mp3 players have elevated bass. I'm sure most phones can drive the DJ100 just fine, but when under-powered the DJ100s bass can be sloppy, but nothing too bad. It's easy for me to hear. I have a feeling that people with larger ears get more bass with the DJ100. You normally get more bass with more clamping force or if your ears are very close to the drivers.

I haven't tried the Modi, but the Magni is very good with the DJ100/TBSE! I'm using the ODAC but need to try the Modi.

Also..on warm portable devices the DJ100/TBSE with stock pads can often sound a bit congested. Not always and it depends on the device itself. My Ipod 3G (monochrome) is warm but sounds amazing with the DJ100. On the Clip+ it's much more congested and just not the same. Not sure why. The soundstage is much more lacking on the Clip+. Clip+ loves the M50 pads though! If you have any spare money, try the dirt cheap Clip+ with M50 pads! I'm sure the Clip Zip Plus is about the same.

I also realized my Cowon Iaudio 7 has the same DAC as my Ipod 3G. Weird. The I7 is so much worse with the DJ100 too. My guess is that the Ipod 3G drives the DJ100 a bit better, but who knows. i actually want to buy an old Ipod 3G 40gb unit. This one is ony 15gb. Last night I was thinking it sounds nearly as good as my Magni+ODAC.

I think it sounds better than the Ipod Video 5.5 and my Ipod Touch 2G. Touch 2G is flatter, but this one is still flat but everything sounds smoother. The bass seems more present on the 3G Ipod, but not bloated.

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #1,609 of 2,344
Quote:
Love my Koss DJ100s with the m50 pads! Thanks tdockweiler for the great review and the tips on getting these great little cans to sound so good. After reading a lot of posts, I believe that the bulk of the opinions confirm this simple mod have a positive impact on the sound.

I also use a Fiio11 amp; which, enhances my listening experience also IMO. 

After trying a ton of pads I think the improved sound is due to three things:

The M50 giving people a better seal, vent holes in the M50 pads and a foam backing that seems to "smooth" out the sound without muffling it. SRH-940 foam backing audibly muffles the sound IMO.

I wish I could try to locate some ultra thin foam to try out on the stock pads.

For those with M50 pads I suggest storing the headphone and pads in a case if you can. Lots of cold air getting to the pads seems to make them go hard much faster.

Hopefully someone else can take one for the team and try modded Pearstone/Auray pads. Loving these pads with the TBSE. Just needs 4 eraser head size holes in the corners of each pad. On the inside edges. Top, Left, Right and Bottom. This only needs to be done if you find the Pearstone velours too warm or bassy. I did.

No point really if someone has M50 pads. It might be a good match if someone finds the m50 pads to give the TBSE too much treble.

BTW I ordered a 6' Mogami W2893 cable recently. Should be here soon to use with my TBSE. I think it's probably worth it for around $15 premade. Bought it from Redco. It took them about 4 days to make it and ship, so not too bad. I can't buy the one linked on Ebay because I closed my Paypal account years ago.

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #1,610 of 2,344
Got my Auray Sheepskin Leather pads in today from B&H. Cost was $30. They fit perfectly but take some stretching to get on. Perfect seal!
So far, sound is great. Very similar to the Pearstone modded pads. Didn't notice any boost in frequencies so far.
Listened to the DJ100 with them straight out of my Ipod 3G for about an hour without any complaints.
I will report back later once I get a few days of use on them.

They look fairly hard in pictures, but they're very soft! Way softer than M50 pads. These are real leather too. They also have foam backing just like those M50 and Pearstone pads that sound so good. They also look better when installed than V6 and M50 pads. They look much rounder than V6, Pearstone and M50 pads when on the DJ100. They seem to give you more room than Pearstone pads.

Here's a picture I took of it really quick. Not very good, but it will give you an idea:

Also got my W2893 Mogami cable in! Guess i'll be listening to the TBSE all night!

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #1,611 of 2,344
Just thought I'd post my XB500 pad mod of the Koss TBSE1.

I am loving the TBSE1. Iv'e had them for a little over a month, and I am very impressed for 52 bucks. Highly recommended for jazz and classical.

Mar 2, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #1,612 of 2,344
Quote:
Just thought I'd post my XB500 pad mod of the Koss TBSE1.

I am loving the TBSE1. Iv'e had them for a little over a month, and I am very impressed for 52 bucks. Highly recommended for jazz and classical.

I think I tried that a year ago but figured I couldn't get the pads stuffed into the cracks or did it wrong.
I also noticed the XB500 pads fit the Grados. Probably sounds terrible!

The DJ100/TBSE with XB500 pads isn't too bassy?

I put the DJ100 driver into an XB500 shell once but it require sealing the driver with hot glue and a recable. The XB500 pads in this setup had extremely bloated bass.
It might be OK with the DJ100 shell.

Those XB500 pads remind me of the feel of the HM5 pads.

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #1,613 of 2,344
Just got the headphone recently and is planning to get the Aurray Velour or Sheepsking pads for them.  How do you exactly put them on?  Didn't find any instruction after googling so am a bit worried about how hard is it.  Atm I'm pretty happy with them except that it pinches my glasses a bit and makes my ear a bit uncomfortable after a hour or 2.  Hopping new earpads would alleviate some of the discomfort. 

Also was wondering if I should invest in a AMP?  Currently using a Sansa Clip Zip and was wondering if it is worth the investment?  Looking at the Fiio's and usage would be 75% portable 25% desktop.

Thanks!

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #1,614 of 2,344
Quote:
Just got the headphone recently and is planning to get the Aurray Velour or Sheepsking pads for them.  How do you exactly put them on?  Didn't find any instruction after googling so am a bit worried about how hard is it.  Atm I'm pretty happy with them except that it pinches my glasses a bit and makes my ear a bit uncomfortable after a hour or 2.  Hopping new earpads would alleviate some of the discomfort. 

Also was wondering if I should invest in a AMP?  Currently using a Sansa Clip Zip and was wondering if it is worth the investment?  Looking at the Fiio's and usage would be 75% portable 25% desktop.

Thanks!

What you do is hold the edges of the pad against the cups with your thumb and then work your way around by stuffing the edge of the pad into the cracks. It's very easy, just work your way around. I can now get the stock pads on in just a few seconds.

The DJ100 improves for me with an amp, but you might not even need one with the new pads. I've found that the DJ100's sounded a bit less congested and less warm with the Clip+ when I used M50 pads. I really need to try the Clip Zip Plus again. I didn't lose any warmth with Pearstone or the Auray Sheepskin pads.

The DJ100 also has some clamping force out of the box. It goes away in days and that's probably what is causing issues. Most pad upgrades give you more room for your ears and the tips of your ears won't touch the pads as much.

You can also stretch out the stock pads slightly for better comfort. It takes awhile for them to get comfortable. Hard to believe, I know..

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #1,619 of 2,344
I actually have a Clip+ already. Trying it out with the M50 pads now. The bass is back! Before, listening to music with the M50 pads, treble was a lot more present/emphasized than the bass. Now, the bass and treble is more balanced, such that it doesn't sound like it's thin. I'm wondering if this has to do with the quality of the music files? I'm listening to 320kbps mp3s on my Clip+, whereas before, I was listening to streaming music from Pandora through my Samsung S3 phone or through Spotify via my Macbook's headphone jack. 

I was listening to The Black Keys and the drums/bass of the music is kind of too strong for me still. I have my Clip+ Rockboxed and I noticed that I have my bass set to -3db already. Maybe I'm just really sensitive to bass! 

Quote:

Also..on warm portable devices the DJ100/TBSE with stock pads can often sound a bit congested. Not always and it depends on the device itself. My Ipod 3G (monochrome) is warm but sounds amazing with the DJ100. On the Clip+ it's much more congested and just not the same. Not sure why. The soundstage is much more lacking on the Clip+. Clip+ loves the M50 pads though! If you have any spare money, try the dirt cheap Clip+ with M50 pads! I'm sure the Clip Zip Plus is about the same.

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #1,620 of 2,344
I've been using the Auray Sheepskin pads for about 8 hours so far. The sound is basically like stock, but closer to M50 pads. Less treble than M50 pads perhaps.
The comfort is really nothing special. The pads are softer than stock, but I think I need to stretch these pads out some more. They're not uncomfortable at least.
The difference between modded Pearstone Velours and these Sheepskin pads is very subtle. I think the Velours are slightly warmer sounding.

I think the first portable player for the DJ100 that gets my official approval
biggrin.gif
is the Ipod 3G (monochrome). It uses the WM8731 and I think it MUST have more power output than my Ipod Touch 2G, Clip+ and Iaudio 7.
Let's just say that it sounds nearly as good as my main setup. That thing has very very slightly emphasized bass and smooth everything. I think it has a touch of warmth, but sounds less congested than the Clip+.

It just sounds so much more spacious than any other portable player i've tried. All the different instruments are spaced out very well and I just find myself almost looking around to try to pinpoint them. The soundstage is really wide. I NEVER really get this experience from a portable player! Certainly not with a closed headphone. A little bit with M50 pads. Imaging seems better which makes no sense. Everything is nice and full sounding.  It sounds mostly flat, but almost like a total opposite of what the Ipod Touch 2G sounds like. It really sounds like a totally flat SCPH-1001 PS1 with less treble roll-off. I would say it's very musical and might not have the best measurements in the world, but i'm impressed.

You know what's annoying? I connected it up to my Micro Amp and it's soundstage with Ipod 3G (not Touch) is larger than my ODAC. Sorry to sound cheesy, but this is the most realistic sound i've heard. I guess like what it would sound like in "real life".
There's some stuff in here I barely can hear on the ODAC, like recording hiss and all sorts of noises.

I also have the Ipod Video 5.5 and it sounds bad with my DJ100. Not sure why.

I wish I could find a computer DAC that sounds identical to the Ipod 3G. It's too bad this 3G is monochrome, has 15gb of storage and requires Firewire charging! I've got rockbox on it but it's battery life is awful.

NOTE: Clip+ gets my approval too, but I only like it with M50 pads. It sounds a bit congested with stock pads. I don't know why, but it's weird. Maybe due to too much warmth?

If you ever see one of those things for next to nothing, grab it:

BTW the E17 uses the WM8740, but not sure what that sounds like. I didn't like the E10 really, so I haven't tried it.

The Iaudio 7 which doesn't drive the DJ100 very well has the same DAC as this Ipod 3G! I guess I should try to connect it to an amp despite it having no line out.

Oh yeah... I bought a Schiit Modi. I hope they're in stock. Probably not. I doubt i'll like it any more than the ODAC, but i'll be surprised.

The ODAC sounds like it has some very very slight roll off in the treble. I don't know why, but this is only when comparing it to about 5 other full sized CD players.
It's basically ruler flat I imagine and does sound that way. For a joke I labeled my ODAC review as it being "Warm and musical". Sounds like that to me
biggrin.gif
Ok, maybe not warm, but definitely not cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back