Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Jan 31, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #1,458 of 2,344
Quote:

Indeed, this is the main issue i run in to as i'm using it in conjunction with a phone. I don't really need to have them that close to one and other even, it just picks up the noise and isn't much fun when it does that. Gary has confirmed that the PCB is hotglued in to the casing so i've been meaning to pull it out, and layer in some aluminum foil, and protective plastic, to see if the issue goes away.
B!

I actually did wrap the whole inside of mine with aluminum foil. still didn't completely eliminate the issue, but it did help a little bit. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #1,460 of 2,344
As my first step into the world of headphones, I picked up a pair of ProDJ100's with some M50 pads a month ago based on the review. I'm also using them with a Zune and e11 amp. After listening constantly to rock and metal, I have to say that these are so good it makes me want to cry. The bass is just punchy enough to give a bit of a thump with the kick drum. Guitar riffs are extremely crisp and the vocals... smooth as butter is all I can say. I would recommend these 110% to anyone that listens to any form of rock/metal/pop and I thank tdockweiler for convincing me to send back my HA-RX 900's and getting ProDJ100's, I hear tons of things in my music that I've never noticed before.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #1,462 of 2,344
Quote:
since the dt 770 pads work with the m50, and the m50 pads work on the dj100s...does that mean the dt 770 pads work with dj100s?

Slightly too big!!

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #1,463 of 2,344
Quote:
Are these m50 pads legit? I am asking because there are no other stores that ship pads to Canada for under $24.

Doubt it!!  Just by the pictures they look like cheap (Not-so Cheap) knockoffs.  $20 is the right price, but you just need to find a legit pair. If it will cost $24 or more that's just a few $ over as a set for legit ones is $20.

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #1,464 of 2,344
Had a weird experience with the DJ100/TB tonight. Hooked it up to my Magni using the ODAC as source. Sounded REALLY muffled like there was a severe lack of treble and the sound wasn't clear at all. That's a sign of something not right at all!

No joke, but I actually got up and cleaned my ears. No such luck. Turns out I think noise from my setup was causing everything to sound weird. I noticed when I cranked up my amp I'd get tons of static and all sorts of other garbage. I switched to a a USB cable with a ferrite bead and that wasn't enough but did clear it up a lot. My TB's cable was also not shielded properly (it's NOT the stock cable). I got tons of noise from 3 different cables.

What's funny is that the Monster cable I paid $20 for is dead silent mostly. Metal shielding inside of it. Not sure what all this noise is caused by, but I can't use the Magni with a surge protector with noise filtering because the sound is worse than straight from the wall.

Right now it sounds perfect. The DJ100 is really balanced sounding with this setup. Exactly how it's always sounded mostly, but some improved, but IMO it's from the ODAC.

With so much music with this setup it honestly almost sounds like an open or semi-open headphone. There's not a genre I have that sounds bad. I think now that I fixed the noise, everything is perfect.

Maybe the power in my house is really noisy/bad. It is from the 50's...

BTW those thinner Monoprice cables (for car audio) have really poor shielding. The really thick ones are much better. I'm using one for an interconnect.

Can't say it enough but the DJ100 with the ODAC really has some of the best imaging there is..

If anyone is interested, the DJ100 needs to be at around the 8:30 mark with the Magni+ODAC. The Q701 is at about 9:00. This is with all volume controls at 100%. Of course classical and similar music needs to be a bit higher.

NOTE: Now sure why or how, but the Magni seems a lot smoother after a week of use.

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #1,465 of 2,344
This was really amusing for me. I was comparing my Q701 to my DJ100 and was surprised at how accurate they both were to the recording. When listening to both of them the general sound is there and not much is dramatically changed. At one point I somehow forgot I was listening to the Q701.

I kept switching back and forth and at one point I EQed my Q701 to sound nearly exactly like my DJ100/Tony Bennett!

I was listening to the Tony Bennett Duets II album I got for free from Koss. It actually is perfect for the headphone it came with!

When switching back and forth, what sticks out the most is how much more weight some instruments have on the DJ100. Everything is fuller sounding. There is some bass that's not even audible on the Q701. It sounds like it's coming from outside my listening area. Sort of like someone stomping on a floor or banging on my door. On the Q701 it's ultra subtle and basically not even there.

The treble is also much more forward sounding on the Q701 of course. The soundstage is also a lot more airy and with better instrument separation. Tony Bennett sounds more distant, but this is accurate. It sounds like it's recorded in a bar or something and you can pick apart each thing. Less so on the DJ100 since it's closed, but still pretty dang good!

I actually think it sounds better on the DJ100/TB overall. Neither really sounded clearer than the other.

I have a feeling it will sound more similar to the DJ100 on my HD-650. I don't think the HD-650 has the bass of the DJ100 though. DJ100 has better low bass I think.

BTW to get the Q701 to sound pretty close to my DJ100 I increased the lower mids a tad, increased the bass a little an decreased the treble a little. Very tiny differences.

I was only curious and have no use for an EQ, but it was still interesting.

Setup was ODAC+Magni of course.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #1,467 of 2,344
Funniest thing I've seen all day

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #1,468 of 2,344
^Its not all that surprising to find people who prefer the sound of the Porta Pro's.  Especially if they listen to bass heavy music.  There is no accounting for taste.

And there are many who prefer the KSC75, and its even less expensive.

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #1,469 of 2,344
Funny indeed but not true .. I'm a true Porta pro fan and I enjoyed a lot my DJ100 too.  They share in my opinion a specific Koss engaging way to offer music to our ears. Not the most accurate or detailed or "audiophile" maybe but really engaging . 

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #1,470 of 2,344
Quote:
Funniest thing I've seen all day

Yes, it's true! The Porta Pro really does have better bass and it's totally flat. All the way to 1hz.
I've verified it with this graph.

I'm not surprised some may prefer the bass of the Porta Pro. I myself would prefer the KSC75 or the UR-55 over the Porta Pro.
I had the Porta Pro a few years ago, but replaced it's drivers with those of the KSC75. No, I'm not saying the Porta Pro isn't any good. I kind of liked it.

My favorite  Amazon DJ100 review is the one from someone who claims the DJ100 are no good as a DJ headphone and are not reliable, because he "knows a few DJs".

BTW I think some people think huge mid-bass humps are normal and neutral. Anything else is bass-light. Not sure, but I always had this idea. The idea of the DJ100 being bass light is weird. It has more than my HD-650. Oh and i'm not specifically talking about the Porta Pro. Of course the Porta Pro is meant to be sort of a fun signature and not flat or anything.

I always though the DJ100 has very very slightly above neutral bass, but no mid-bass hump that sticks out. The V6 sounds like it has much more mid-bass, but probably worse extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back