Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Dec 29, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #1,397 of 2,344
@tdockweiler How do these compare with the HD 380 Pro? Where I live, the Koss costs around $130 and HD 380 PRO around $165.. So I am confused which one to get :S

Edit:- I was leaning more towards Koss as I own the Portapro which I love a lot due to its clarity and bass. I am new in this so need help of Gurus!

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #1,398 of 2,344
Quote:
@tdockweiler How do these compare with the HD 380 Pro? Where I live, the Koss costs around $130 and HD 380 PRO around $165.. So I am confused which one to get :S

Edit:- I was leaning more towards Koss as I own the Portapro which I love a lot due to its clarity and bass. I am new in this so need help of Gurus!

I own both, and it does not have as much bass as the Portapro, but the DJ100/TBSE is crystal clear, and not muddy like the Portapro. 

Take away a little bass on the Portapro, a boost in the mids, and add a little more treble.. that's what it sounds like to me. 

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #1,399 of 2,344
Quote:
I own both, and it does not have as much bass as the Portapro, but the DJ100/TBSE is crystal clear, and not muddy like the Portapro. 

Take away a little bass on the Portapro, a boost in the mids, and add a little more treble.. that's what it sounds like to me. 

Oh great. Looks it will be a good upgrade from Portapro then. I have been reading this thread, and it looks like the DJ100 requires a lot of power to drive them properly. Your comparison is using amp/DACs or not? Also how do these(unamped) compare to the HD 380 PRO and M50? I use inbuilt Realtek (ALC887) sound chip and don't own any amp/DAC. I plan on buying the Clip+ though. Is Fiio E6 enough?

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #1,400 of 2,344
Quote:

Oh great. Looks it will be a good upgrade from Portapro then. I have been reading this thread, and it looks like the DJ100 requires a lot of power to drive them properly.

I own both porta pro and DJ100 too and I agree that DJ100 is an upgrade with less bass , more mids and trebles and mostly much more clarity. DJ100 and Porta pro share a fun, swinging way of sounding . Porta pro is more bassy and muddy , DJ100 is more neutral and clear but thinner. Two different flavors
smile.gif

I used both Porta pro and DJ100 straight from my phone, my ipod and my laptop and they both very good ( lively, loudly and clearly) without any amp.

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #1,401 of 2,344
Quote:

I own both porta pro and DJ100 too and I agree that DJ100 is an upgrade with less bass , more mids and trebles and mostly much more clarity. DJ100 and Porta pro share a fun, swinging way of sounding . Porta pro is more bassy and muddy , DJ100 is more neutral and clear but thinner. Two different flavors
smile.gif

I used both Porta pro and DJ100 straight from my phone, my ipod and my laptop and they both very good ( lively, loudly and clearly) without any amp.

They do sound better with more power though. 

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #1,402 of 2,344
 Oh yes but DJ100 don't need an Amp in my opinion.
wink.gif

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #1,403 of 2,344
I moved forward with a purchase of the PCI-E version of the Xonar sound card.  I ended up going from a PCI-based DX model to the PCI-Express DSX model.  In my opinion, it was well worth the move and I ended up paying $60 for the audio card, after a $10.00 mail in rebate.  The PCI-Express flavor, with slightly newer drives seems to have resolved some of my sound card ills, for now.  The DSX is a more "audiophile" sound card, with the option to swap out OpAmp chips if one desire a slightly different sound signature.  In my opinion, the DSX is potentially a better sound option than the Audio-GD "Fun" that I previously owned.  The DSX seems to have better frequency extension and is a joy to listen to.  

In regards to the Koss Tony Bennett special edition, I think I've just stepped into some competition that is making my ears quite happy.  The JVC HA-S400s, with the 30mm carbon nano tube technology are really sounding quite fine.  I also have the HA-S500, with the slightly larger, 40mm driver on their way to me and should arrive on Wednesday.  Certainly, the whole frequency spectrum is really impressive and the bass has some great texture.  The texture, to me is more along the lines of what the AKG K167 Tiesto offered.  However, the K167 had a very high level of detail in the upper frequencies, and the pads were so collapsed after a week that my ears were resting on the baffle, so I returned the $189 headphones, and spent my money on the Koss TBSE as well as some other headphones to play with.

I'll provide some more perspective on the listening comparisons a few days from now when I've had more time to put the new toys through my various genres of music in my sound library.

Until then, enjoy!

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #1,404 of 2,344
Quote:

smile.gif

Do you think they outperform the much more expensive headphones as the thread suggests like the M50, HD 598, KRS6400, etc.? I am confused.

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #1,405 of 2,344
Quote:

Do you think they outperform the much more expensive headphones as the thread suggests like the M50, HD 598, KRS6400, etc.? I am confused.

IMO and You should take what I'll say with a BIG grain of salt :

I didn't ever heard th KRK . I seriously listened to HD598 in order to offer them as a Xmas present and I listened just a bit to M50.  HD598 is far superior to the DJ100 and I hated M50 ( I found it too boomy to my tastes and globally uninteresting) BUT despite its flaws DJ100 brings a very special pleasure. I own an Ultrasone Flagship ( Signature pro) which is IMO near perfection and I still enjoy listen to my Porta Pro and My DJ100. Sometimes guitars and female voices sound Amazingly from DJ100 .  To explain my Point of view with examples .. Lisa Ekhdal voice sound amazingly through the DJ100 . It's less the case for Norah Jones' one.

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #1,406 of 2,344
Quote:

IMO and You should take what I'll say with a BIG grain of salt :

I didn't ever heard th KRK . I seriously listened to HD598 in order to offer them as a Xmas present and I listened just a bit to M50.  HD598 is far superior to the DJ100 and I hated M50 ( I found it too boomy to my tastes and globally uninteresting) BUT despite its flaws DJ100 brings a very special pleasure. I own an Ultrasone Flagship ( Signature pro) which is IMO near perfection and I still enjoy listen to my Porta Pro and My DJ100. Sometimes guitars and female voices sound Amazingly from DJ100 .  To explain my Point of view with examples .. Lisa Ekhdal voice sound amazingly through the DJ100 . It's less the case for Norah Jones' one.

I get it. I should rather wait and collect $ for the HD 598 or the HD 25-1 ii. Do you know which one is better? I have heard HD 25-1 ii is not good for bigheads. I like the sound of Porta Pro, and was looking for a decent upgrade. May be the DJ100 is just the right thing for OP that's why he loves them so much. Thanks the info Sorrodje.

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #1,407 of 2,344
Quote:

I get it. I should rather wait and collect $ for the HD 598 or the HD 25-1 ii. Do you know which one is better? I have heard HD 25-1 ii is not good for bigheads. I like the sound of Porta Pro, and was looking for a decent upgrade. May be the DJ100 is just the right thing for OP that's why he loves them so much. Thanks the info Sorrodje.

It really depends on what you want to use them for; the HD 598 is open back, meaning it leaks sound and is not suitable for wearing them on the go, theyre pretty much designed for in-house listening.
The DJ100 on the other hand does not leak that much sound and is suitable for listening on the go.

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #1,408 of 2,344
Quote:

When I were in your case and decided to upgrade from my Porta pro , I bought finally an Ultrasone HFI-2400 . IMO it's an idea you can consider if your favorite genre is not folk or classical Rock.  Good overall sound quality , very good bass and sub bass ( clear, textured and never boomy)  , smoother trebles than many other Ultrasone products and laid back mids.   There're many good choices around 200 $  . All the game is to find the one which match with your tastes.

Nevertheless IMO , both Porta pro and DJ100 shares a specific quality I didn't found elsewhere . These cans "swing" and sing specifically.. I haven't good words to describe this quality. I'm french . I coulds describe you in french but not in english
redface.gif

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #1,409 of 2,344
Won the Pro DJ 200 in Koss' Facebook promotion, and I have to say I'm stunned by the build quality here. I was expecting all plastic, etc. My go-to budget headphone is the Creative Aurvana Live!, and while I still feel like the CAL! sound better (cleaner, faster) and are more comfortable (by far, though I need to led the pads loosen up a little on the Pro DJ 200), I'm absolutely blown away by the build quality of the Pro DJ 200 (which are basically just the 100 on the inside), especially given their retail price. I thought I'd get them, test them and sell them, but I think I'll keep 'em around!

Dec 31, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #1,410 of 2,344
Put me down as a fan. I took my son over to Best Buy to spend his x-mass funds.  So we did a little session of trying EVERY phone in the store. And the Koss came out on top, For his budget anyway.  The build quality is amazing and it sound just as good. A little pulled back in the mids for me but it's not bad at all really. For sure a budget king at $80 smackers.
But for me I'll be picking up the HD558 :)  Those things sound Fantastic!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back