Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Dec 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #1,352 of 2,344
Quote:
Again, I'm not a troll. Tdock is just creepily obsessed with these headphones. It's also fun to argue with him. He literally does think that these headphones are significantly better than much more impressive headphones in the $250+ range. He even thinks these are more clear, detailed, and have a better midrange than headphones that are designed for exactly that in the same price range, which I respectfully disagree with. You also took my posts out of context. Congratulations on missing the point.

I'm not a fan of the sound signature, but I'm broke and have to sell my more expensive headphones, and was given a pair of these for my birthday, which is why I'm here. I like discussing stuff with the other members, too.

Yes, i'm obsessed with them! I keep them on my head 24/7 and even sleep with them! Sometimes I do feel I like to type on forums a bit too much, so I'm not surprised someone would say this. Nothing new here. If you only knew how much I use them now, you wouldn't say this. Why do I need a dozen headphone when I only have one head? Not enough time to listen to all of them. Right now it's 75% of the HD-650. Right now I'm obsessed with "Dark Souls" on the Xbox 360 so I use my 650 way too much lately.

Have you ever had a headphone that had your perfect sound signature? I mean down to every single thing. I imagine not. Well, I thought this was impossible. It's very rare and after 3 years of owning the DJ100 it still Wows me with it's sound and I always learn something new about it. I know that's hard to believe. It's just fun and engaging to listen to. I think there's some people here that have spent thousands of dollars trying to find their perfect headphone with the perfect sound signature (for them only) and still don't find it. For me it took about 10-12 different headphones to find my preferred sound signature in a headphone. Then this idea that it only cost me $80! I keep trying to find something I prefer more than the DJ100 that's closed, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe some random Audio Technica closed headphone. I still want to try the W1000X, A900x and W1000.

It's ok if you don't like the idea that I prefer these over my Q701 or HD-600 and actually think they sound better to MY ears. I never would say they sound better to everyone else. I don't have the same ears and sound signature/music preferences as anyone else, so this is no big deal. There is always going to be a headphone that is "technically" better, but that doesn't mean much to me. What the heck does that even mean? This is another reason I prefer the 598 to the HD-600. For me it's all about the music, yet people thought I was nuts for thinking the 598 sounds better. It's more musical for me, but a little more grainy than the HD-600/650.

The only reason I don't keep the DJ100 as my only headphone is that I require an open headphone for gaming. Sometimes it's also nice to have several headphones with different sound signatures. My Q701 is much different, but just not as fun to listen to. It's probably one of my favorites though. I do prefer the fuller mids of the DJ100 and sometimes it even sounds clearer on my main setup. Q701 is no detail monster to me, but has more than enough. It doesn't seem to improve as much as my HD-650 somehow. So much music I have is harsh and fatiguing that the DJ100 makes it a tiny bit easier on the ears, but not quite as much as the HD-650. My 650 makes everything sound good.

I think if I had an open ultra-comfortable headphone with the DJ100's sound signature (but even better) I'd be set for life. HD-650 is close enough. This pair sounds different than my old ones for whatever reason. Probably my favorite headphone yet that's open. Yet at the same time it's sound isn't $250+ better. If I had a very limited budget, i'd be happy with just a DJ100 and desktop amp. Despite what everyone thinks, many people can't afford $100+ headphones. I know people who think buying a $100 headphone is crazy!

I do have to question the troll comment. You claim it's fun to argue with me, but one could easily take that the wrong way. I mean isn't that the whole point of trolling a forum?

I don't mind arguing about headphones with my friends here as long as they don't take my comments too seriously or it turns into a flame war. Luckily I've not yet made any enemies of my friends on here (as far as I know). I'm sure I annoy plenty of people with no comments, but what's wrong with that?
normal_smile .gif

Can't say it enough, but nobody here ever agrees on what a headphone sounds like and as hard as it is to believe, there is no such thing as a BEST headphone for everyone. I wish there was..

Dec 12, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #1,354 of 2,344
Quote:
If ^ is to me, I'm not a he.

Also I'm glad I decided to try out double padding. It really does help brighten things up.

Wait, I'm confused. You haven't tried the M50 pads on the DJ100 or have you?
IMO the M50 pads improve the sound of the DJ100 by about 20% or so. For me.
It makes them a little less warm/full sounding by add a tad more treble. Makes them sound a little clearer.

With M50 pads they're better than the Sennheiser Orpheus!

Have you tried the demo at Best Buy? Does yours sound the same?

I wish K240 pads would work, but you'd need to use regular pads underneath those. The mids would be way too distant sounding though due to your ears being further away from the driver.

Also, when your ears are closer to the driver your brain gets an impression of more bass.

Not enough air inside the pads between your ear an the driver an there is a loss of sound clarity.

All these are my impressions.. I don't know if anyone else got the same results.

I think those small circles around the driver play a small role in the sound.

Dec 12, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #1,355 of 2,344
Forums are for discussion and arguments... If you can't handle it you shouldn't spend much time online. Embrace debate, if you're honest with yourself it can only yield positive results. If you just buy your own bs then it becomes irritating (not speaking to anyone in particular btw).

I can't say I've heard enough flagship headphones to really have an ideal choice, nor is that really the thread's point (and some of the DJ100 comparisons against them are way overblown IMO), but I've certainly heard closed portables that I liked better than the DJ100.

I still wanna give the DJ100 another shot tho just because of their build quality, price, and Koss' excellent warranty (tho my ideal portables right now match all that, granted at a much higher price).

Won't really have a chance to buy them with enough time to give them a fair shake (before possibly returning them) until after the holidays tho.

Dec 12, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #1,356 of 2,344
the m50 pads do not sound nearly as good as the double pad monstrosity i created.

thusfar the headphones i've liked the most for my music library is denon ah-600 or "Music Manic" as its called.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #1,357 of 2,344
Quote:

Wait, I'm confused. You haven't tried the M50 pads on the DJ100 or have you?
IMO the M50 pads improve the sound of the DJ100 by about 20% or so. For me.
It makes them a little less warm/full sounding by add a tad more treble. Makes them sound a little clearer.

With M50 pads they're better than the Sennheiser Orpheus!

Have you tried the demo at Best Buy? Does yours sound the same?

I wish K240 pads would work, but you'd need to use regular pads underneath those. The mids would be way too distant sounding though due to your ears being further away from the driver.

Also, when your ears are closer to the driver your brain gets an impression of more bass.

Not enough air inside the pads between your ear an the driver an there is a loss of sound clarity.

All these are my impressions.. I don't know if anyone else got the same results.

I think those small circles around the driver play a small role in the sound.

I bought some Beyer Velour pads I read about in a Ath-m50 thread that suggested they would make them more comfortable and now the pads I've replaced are being suggested as a replacement for my TBSE's pads. This may just work out pretty good.

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #1,358 of 2,344
my pro dj-100 has the small holes in them. the regular dj-100 does not. not sure what my model was. it was given to me.

i took the hesh 2 pads and then stuck the stock pads over them. much brighter overall. metal sounds better with the first lair of pads acting as a liberator.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #1,359 of 2,344
Hopefully someone can try this with the new Schiit Magni!
Full desktop amp for $99 that's made in the USA! What a deal.

Hard to resist the urge, but I need to actually buy OTHER people gifts. Might be a good idea.
Wait, i'll buy my mom a Schiit Magni for Christmas. If she doesn't know what it is or doesn't like it, I'll take it!

Should be a nice alternative to my E9 I use as a spare amp.

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #1,360 of 2,344
Quote:

Hard to resist the urge, but I need to actually buy OTHER people gifts. Might be a good idea.
Wait, i'll buy my mom a Schiit Magni for Christmas. If she doesn't know what it is or doesn't like it, I'll take it!

Could you honestly stop posting these affordable, enticing products. You're going to force me to go broke. I already got the ProDJ100's because of this thread haha
Trying to resist google searching the Magni...

Oh NO it's pulling me in...

eek.gif

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #1,361 of 2,344
Quote:

Mad Lust Envy just picked up the Magni amp and the USB DAC so he should have a review up on his gaming thread when they arrive. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-11-12-12-sennheiser-hd650-added

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #1,362 of 2,344
I just grabbed a used pair cheap on ebay, Hope they're in good conditon because I'm really looking forward to try these out
L3000.gif

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #1,363 of 2,344
I managed to get hold of a pair of M50 pads. So i pulled of my original pads, and threw these on. In the process i noticed that my DJ-100's has the holes drilled as well. Oh, and the topic of pad changes... If you like the sound as it is, go with it. I got a noticeable, but not dominant bass upgrade from switching pads, on, lets face it, a poor sound-source, amped by a PAV2V2. So if you want a bit more bass, M50 pads wont hurt.
B!

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #1,364 of 2,344
Quote:
I managed to get hold of a pair of M50 pads. So i pulled of my original pads, and threw these on. In the process i noticed that my DJ-100's has the holes drilled as well. Oh, and the topic of pad changes... If you like the sound as it is, go with it. I got a noticeable, but not dominant bass upgrade from switching pads, on, lets face it, a poor sound-source, amped by a PAV2V2. So if you want a bit more bass, M50 pads wont hurt.
B!

I guess Koss must now drill the holes deeper than before. Wonder why? All mine in the past didn't have these holes. I don't think it'd have any huge effect on the sound though. I do wonder what would happen if you drilled even more or completely removed the plastic inside the cup (directly behind the driver).

People seem to be split on if the M50 pads increase the bass or not. Some say it makes them less warm sounding. Maybe a little bit, but I never did any A/B comparisons since I only own one pair. I really need to stop using my Pro700 MKII pads and switch back to M50 pads or stock. My M50 pads have gone hard, so i'm going to put them in the washer and try to recover them. Maybe put some fabric softener in there too. When they get hard it doesn't ruin the comfort that much though. It just makes them feel like the awful SRH-440 pads.

When I get more money the first thing I'll do is buy that new Schiit Amp. I bet it's even smaller than my Micro Amp! Micro is about half the height of the E9

Oh yeah, I get the M50 pads could increase the bass for some IF it gave them a better seal around their ears than the stock pads. I wouldn't be surprised if the DJ100 stock pads were sort of somewhat on ear for some people! I remember once having them and realizing that part of the top of my ear was sticking out. That probably couldn't have helped the sound..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back