Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Nov 12, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #1,216 of 2,344
I purchased a used DJ100 for a bit more 30 bucks (25 Euros) and received it today. I listen it for two hours plugged to my Fiio E17 :wink:

Very happy with my purchase and I completely agree with the first post of the thread .. Very fun headphone and extremely good value. Thanks to Tdockweiler for his review which is very accurate. Koss Dj100 will complete perfectly my Ultrasone.

I'm amazed how DJ100 makes me enjoy Genres whitch aren't usually my favourites ( Rock , Blues , country for example) ... Guitars and vocals and drums ( especially snare drums ) come right in my face . For example Big Soul's "Funny Caroline" or old well know Ram Jam's "black Betty" sounds amazingly through this Koss DJ100.

Very very funny headphone with forward and clear sound and good bass.

One more good point, isolation si very good. Well spent money for sure !!

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #1,217 of 2,344
I've  been using my TBSE's with a V-Moda cable I bought. I love it ! I don't think it colors the sound differently but it is light and doesn't tug because of weight like the stock coiled cable does. I'm actually enjoying the way these feel with the stock pads this time around. My last pair was more uncomfortable and one side was hard to move, It clamped too hard to be comfortable. I had to send them back I think some wiring was impinging it. In any event the V-Moda cable can be found for under $20 and works well with those whose DJ100 is the Tony Bennet version.

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #1,218 of 2,344
I've been using the TBSE/DJ Pro100 for 1 month now and I really like the sound signature.
Yesterday I encountered something different that truly amazed me. I was wearing a wool hat, listening via TBSE (stock pads) and Clip+. Somehow the hat opened the soundstage quite a bit (and less isolation), the bass was punchy, with no identified change in the mid and treble. But the soundstage was incredible.
Does anyone know why?

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #1,220 of 2,344
I would go with the Total Airhead + DAC (not necessary the Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Go! Pro in your case). Besides, the DAC in Total Bithead is quite outdated, not totally worth the $50 (on sale this weekend) or $100 (regular price).

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #1,221 of 2,344
Tdockweiler said the X-Fi Go Pro! was a good option, and I got it quite affordably, $20 on Amazon right now. Would you say otherwise? And if so, what would be a better alternative, for less than $40? That's the most I am willing to shell out at the moment.

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #1,222 of 2,344
Quote:
Tdockweiler said the X-Fi Go Pro! was a good option, and I got it quite affordably, $20 on Amazon right now. Would you say otherwise? And if so, what would be a better alternative, for less than $40? That's the most I am willing to shell out at the moment.

The X-Fi Go! (SB1100) is a good option for its price, the X-Fi Go! Pro (SB1290) isn't due to having a stock buzz issue, being more limited in terms of output formats and having an inferior software package, when compared to the X-Fi Go!.

Question is, do you require the additional features the X-Fi Go! models provide? If so, then do look for a X-Fi Go!, otherwise you might be better served with something like a Fiio E10.

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #1,223 of 2,344
Quote:

For under $40, the X-Fi Go Pro would be good. I remember trying it once and not liking it. I think something was wrong with my setup or something because I recently tried it along with the E10 and liked it a lot. It's also amazing with the HD-598 and can drive my HD-600 decently (somehow).

It also is quite neutral and sounds as balanced as my Sansa Clip+.

I haven't had any luck with many other budget DACs for the DJ100 somehow. Didn't really love the E7/E10, but haven't tried the E17.

I can't see why the Bithead wouldn't be good with the DJ100. My Airhead loves the DJ100 and even the HD-580/600/650. I don't know if they share the same chips, but my Airhead uses the AD8397 opamp. I prefer it by far to every other portable amp I tried. Going to try a CMOY one of these days or the PA2V2.

The Airhead has never had issues with driving most of my headphones. It struggles a bit with the K601, but that's very tough to drive. The Airhead might not be my first choice for super easy to drive headphones or IEMs. That's just a guess. It's output impedance is 2ohm.

Of course the best dac for the DJ100 i've heard is the ODAC
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #1,224 of 2,344
Quote:

The X-Fi Go! (SB1100) is a good option for its price, the X-Fi Go! Pro (SB1290) isn't due to having a stock buzz issue, being more limited in terms of output formats and having an inferior software package, when compared to the X-Fi Go!.

Question is, do you require the additional features the X-Fi Go! models provide? If so, then do look for a X-Fi Go!, otherwise you might be better served with something like a Fiio E10.

I have the X-Fi Go Pro and don't have any hissing or buzzing. My friend on here did have one with this issue though. Maybe it only occurs with specific headphones or IEMs or something. There's some measurements out there of it, but I can't link to it.

I'd probably take the E7 over the E10 for the DJ100. I didn't care much for the E10 with the HD-598, Dj100, but it's OK with the Q701. I know some here like the E10 with the DJ100. I'm probably too picky!

NOTE: I never installed any of the software for it. Works out of the box with no drivers required!

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #1,225 of 2,344
Quote:

I have the X-Fi Go Pro and don't have any hissing or buzzing. My friend on here did have one with this issue though. Maybe it only occurs with specific headphones or IEMs or something. There's some measurements out there of it, but I can't link to it.

I'd probably take the E7 over the E10 for the DJ100. I didn't care much for the E10 with the HD-598, Dj100, but it's OK with the Q701. I know some here like the E10 with the DJ100. I'm probably too picky!

NOTE: I never installed any of the software for it. Works out of the box with no drivers required!

The hiss/buzz issue is both dependent on gear used, as well as quite a lot of units having the issue by default, it's quite a spotty situation that doesn't occur with the original (better) model.

The software package should be installed since it provides more output formats that aren't available when the device is used purely through Plug and Play.

I find the E7 signature far too dry, and while the E10 isn't a world of difference from it, I would consider it a better option.

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #1,226 of 2,344
I was wondering if there's anyone else out there that loves the HD-650 and the DJ100?
For a year or so i've been looking for an open headphone that was a clone of the DJ100 or came close. Nothing i've found yet. The HD-580 and the Sextett have some similarities, but just not the same. Both of them have much worse lower bass extension and less treble. The DJ100 also has those magical mids that don't exist on much else for me. To my ears the HD-598 is just a side-grade or downgrade. The only thing it does better is only due to it being open.

I got the HD-650 about 3-4 days ago and have been addicted to it's sound. My last pair had severely bloated bass and was way too dark. Vocals did sound great, but the bass ruined it. I was thinking that possibly my old DAC or source was screwing up the sound.

This new pair has no bloated mid-bass and better low bass extension than my  HD-580/598 and 600 by far. The bass on this 650 is actually even better controlled than that of the 600. In fact it sounds like the bass is kind of hidden and only shows up when required. OK, it does make some songs a tad warmer than they should be, but otherwise it's fairly well balanced.

The lower mids were a tad too forward out of the box but now they're perfectly smooth. This HD-650 doesn't sound dark at all. Nothing really laid back about this to me. Smooth sounding and quite balanced.

Despite sounding balanced it does make some music better than it should be. You can switch to the Q701, KRKs, DJ100 and Sextett and really notice this. It very slightly takes the rough edges off some of my harsh and fatiguing tracks. They're still bad on the HD-650, but not so much as on the KRKs and Q701. My DJ100 does make some of these same tracks a bit easier on the ears, but not as much as the HD-650.

Ok, so what's my point of all this? Well this goofy HD-650 sounds quite a lot like my DJ100. What the heck?!

Here's some differences i've found:

The HD-650 has slightly fuller mids. The DJ100 still has very full mids, but not quite like the HD-650. The 650 mids just feel so much "thicker", but not by much. Some male vocals actually sounded a bit fuller on the DJ100. Strange.

The DJ100 mids are slightly more forward, but I don't find the DJ100's mids with my new DAC all that forward.

Male and Female vocals on the HD-650 are perfect. They don't ever sound recessed, but accurate to the recording. If they're distant in the recording, they're that way on the 650 and DJ100. The DJ100 does push them forward a tad.

This one is a real shocker for me. The DJ100 has similar amounts of bass as MY HD-650. Maybe I have the bass neutral HD-650! It seems like some of the lower bass is more forward on the DJ100, but not by much. The 650 clearly has better bass than the 600 to my ears.

No open headphone I have had up until now had the bass of the DJ100. The HD-650 is as close as it gets.

The HD-650 has better instrument separation, a larger soundstage and it's a little more airy. All the tiny details in the soundstage that are ultra-subtle are strangely a little more present on the 650. I think the ODAC has a lot to do with this. Imaging on the HD-650 is pretty impressive. It's up there with the K601. Better than the Q701 I think.

The DJ100 has a tad more treble, but just barely. This HD-650 certainly doesn't sound like it's dark at all. Not sure why this is..

There's this bizarre thing I've found. With some music the DJ100 will sound not so clear on some tracks. You can't detect this on the Q701 and HD-650 so much or many open headphones. I had this occur a TON with poor quality video game soundtracks. This isn't an issue of the headphones being cheaper, but they're actually more revealing of what's there, but mostly due to being closed. I can give example of tracks that sound muffled, but sound great on the 650 and Q701, but much less clear on the KRK, Sextett and DJ100. I guess my ODAC turned the DJ100 into a detail monster
biggrin.gif
The HD-650 just makes everything sound so good and very musical. The DJ100 actually seems to do this not as much. I had this same experience when comparing the DT-880 to the HD-600. I think some people who say the DT-880 is grainy or not clear should check into their recordings instead
normal_smile .gif

This is all with the Headroom Micro Amp from ODAC and using Pro700MKII pads on the DJ100.

Up until the upper mids, the DJ100 and MY HD-650 sound so close. Using the same setup. The upper mids of the HD-650 don't sound recessed at all and often sound neutral or slightly forward(!).

Today I spent about 5 hours listening to just the 650 and DJ100. When I switched to the DJ100 my impression was that it didn't sound any worse. Sometimes even better. Sometimes even clearer or more detailed. My bad tracks were a tad worse on the ears than with the HD-650. Not by much. These are just the ones that have the mids/treble cranked up at the studio or something. All the harsh tracks.

I think at one point I switched to the DJ100 for a few hours. The HD-650 I have is quite balanced (not quite neutral), but is obviously a bit colored to be more musical. I like this. To my ears the DJ100 isn't any more colored and actually LESS colored to my ears. Both are very musical to my ears. People have said the 650 is a snore fest or boring, but mine is actually very fun to listen to. It's mids are not so forward to ruin any tracks.

I'm loving this HD-650. Pretty much wowed by it, but it's hard to believe it's $500 retail. That's nuts. The DJ100 isn't really any worse. To my ears (with the same setup) they're pretty much even in my book. DJ100 doesn't have a fair match because it's closed. Well, duh. It's easy to just say the 650 is way better due to being open. There's only a few things it does better. It has comfort going for it.

BTW I still feel the ODAC must have rolled off treble or something. Sometimes it's almost too smooth on ANY headphone. Even on my Q701 the worst treble happy music doesn't bother me. It's not the amp.

Oh yeah..don't ask me why or how, but this HD-650 has the most well controlled bass i've ever heard. The DJ100 is just as controlled. I need to compare the bass some more. I bet the DJ100 extends further down.

If you compare the Tony Bennet/DJ100/HD-650 graphs, they're very similar up to a certain point. There's some weird dip that could be due to poor seal or something else. Not sure, but I can't hear it.

Right now with this non-bloated bass HD-650, it might surpass my Q701 sometime, but who knows. I prefer the 650 to the 598/600 and 580.

Another bizarre thing I noticed is that my DJ100 and HD-650 seem to benefit more from my ODAC than the HD-600 and Q701. What the heck?!

I actually realized a few weeks ago that my surge protector was bloating the bass of my headphones and the DJ100 was the only headphone able to detect this. Yeah it was that subtle, but not placebo. It has some awful noise filtering that was messing with my amp. Impossible right? Nope.

Ok, so right now the two most "musical" headphones i've ever heard have been the DJ100, SR-225i and...what the heck..HD-650
confused_face_2.gif

I think the ODAC is playing a role here..I think my amp is very neutral and that helps a bit too.

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #1,228 of 2,344
Quote:

Someone is looking for the same thing as you are.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/637394/cheapest-pure-usb-dac-solution
Quote:

I can't see why the Bithead wouldn't be good with the DJ100. My Airhead loves the DJ100 and even the HD-580/600/650. I don't know if they share the same chips, but my Airhead uses the AD8397 opamp. I prefer it by far to every other portable amp I tried. Going to try a CMOY one of these days or the PA2V2.  

The Bithead isn't necessarily bad with the DJ100 since it uses the same chip as the Airhead. However, for  the $50/$100 DAC in the Bithead, there are better options.

Nov 23, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #1,229 of 2,344

Quote:
I was wondering if there's anyone else out there that loves the HD-650 and the DJ100?

I've found the two to have a very similar sound signature. But to me, the fact that the HD650 is open-back gives a clear advantage in soundstage and imaging; OTOH, the DJ100 offers isolation and can be used as a portable headphone. But other than that, the big difference to me is that the DJ100 can be quite a bit more sibilant than the HD650: as in, the HD650 has never been sibilant at all for me, but the DJ100 can be sibilant with some tracks. I'm not sure if that is because the DJ100 are sibilant, or it simply gives a more accurate reproduction of poorly-mixed music, but I'm leaning towards the latter right now.
The nice thing about the HD650 is that I can just put them on and not worry about anything: pretty much anything sounds good on them. With the DJ100, some tracks sound noticeably bad: some tracks seem sibilant, some tracks overload me with bass (I think this may partly be a result of the closed-back). And yet, with some tracks, the DJ100's magical mids really shine, and the overall presentation is perfect. I think this may be the Koss house signature at work? So I really do think that this is because the DJ100 is quite accurate to the source, which may or may not be a good thing for just listening to music.

Today I spent about 5 hours listening to just the 650 and DJ100. When I switched to the DJ100 my impression was that it didn't sound any worse. Sometimes even better. Sometimes even clearer or more detailed. My bad tracks were a tad worse on the ears than with the HD-650. Not by much. These are just the ones that have the mids/treble cranked up at the studio or something. All the harsh tracks.

Pretty much my impression exactly, except that to me, the bad tracks sound SIGNIFICANTLY worse than with the HD650. However, the DJ100 definitely do seem more detailed and articulate than the HD650 sometimes.
So to me, the two big differences were the open vs. closed-back, and I guess the more revealing nature of the DJ100 (which often leads to sibilant sounding tracks and bloated bass on bad tracks). Other than that, I feel you pretty much nailed the other differences that, to me, are minor differences that I would have had a hard time finding unless I was specifically trying to find differences.

Um... but in the end, I really do like both cans very much, which I guess is the most important thing :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back