Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Oct 25, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #1,186 of 2,344
Quote:
Best site/price for the M50 pads?

Best place i've found is Sweetwater. They're $9.99 each, but you need two. Shipping is free.
Here's a link:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATHM50EarPad

If you go to Audio Technica's website you might be able to get a pair for a few dollars cheaper.
They have a parts department you can contact.

Sweetwater is pretty fast and reliable though.
I even got free candy with my order.

M50 pads are sometimes found on Amazon, but none listened there currently. Very strange.

ATH contact info is here:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/a7f6620987e7a786/index.html

They can give quotes by email. I bought some Pro700 MKII pads for dirt cheap. I think like $12 total (sound terrible with the M50).

Oct 26, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #1,187 of 2,344
Saw somebody say the DJ100 doesn't reproduce treble right... is that true? Opinions?

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #1,188 of 2,344
Quote:
Saw somebody say the DJ100 doesn't reproduce treble right... is that true? Opinions?

Never heard that one. I think Tyll at Inner Fidelity said it had "papery treble". Not even sure what the heck papery treble sounds like!

As long as my ears like what I hear, then I don't care.

I mostly use M50 pads though to give it a little more treble.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #1,189 of 2,344
Quote:

I don't know what "doesn't reproduce treble right" means. It has basically been the matter of how much treble present for me. To my ears I find it a bit lacking, but I don't mind it at all.

Quote:

As long as my ears like what I hear, then I don't care.

+1

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #1,190 of 2,344
Hi everyone, so I picked up the TBSE 2 weeks ago, and after burn-in and everything, I truly enjoyed the sound I heard, from the same song. Thank you, tdock and everyone, for that.
I added the Airhead recently and it seems to expand the soundstage a bit. I'm looking for a DAC to use with my computer (all of my setup will be for laptop use for now). I'm looking at ODAC and would like to hear your experience of ODAC or any DAC at that price range. I'm still on the stockpads though.

tl;dr: TBSE/DJ100 with stock pads and Total Airhead, looking for a USB DAC for ~$150.

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #1,192 of 2,344
Just got my m50 pads. When i fitted them on, I was a little skeptical because the oval shape of these pads weren't a perfect for for the circular dj pro100 cups. However, i put them on, and they feel like a dream. they fit me perfectly. i almost forget im wearing headphones. i have just barely started testing on my music, and there is a noticeable difference. time will tell if this difference is positive or negative. too early to tell right now. 

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #1,195 of 2,344
I don't know why, but this is the only headphone I own that seems to want to detect issues with my setup. Not even my KRK or Q701 does. At least not that my ears can tell. Today I moved my setup upstairs. This was the Headroom Micro Amp from ODAC. Maybe because my DJ100 is bassier than the rest? It's my bassiest headphone. Feels weird saying that. Actually the HD-600 has more mid/upper bass IMO.

I was listening to this huge box of my headphones and comparing them. Listening to the HD-598, HD-600, K601, Q701, Koss A/250, my KRKs and several other headphones. All of them sounded fine mostly.

I switched to my Koss Pro DJ 100 and it sounded really muffled. Vocals were distant and there was just a lack of treble. Totally not the way it should sound. I actually tried being stupid and switched my headphone and interconnect cables!

Turns out it was that my ODAC does not seem to like the USB cables with ferrite cores (I can only notice this with my DJ100. Huh?!). This along with switching the amp straight to the wall helped. When connecting my amp to a surge protector it makes the DJ100 sound too warm and bassy. Something makes the treble suffer. All my other headphones are OK. WHAT THE HECK? There is a clear difference when you switch to the wall and it's not my imagination. Only with the DJ100 though. What does this mean? Not sure.

Now it's perfect. The DJ100 with the Micro Amp and ODAC sounds pretty balanced. Nothing sticking out too much.
The ODAC actually improved my DJ100 more than any other headphone. They say the ODAC won't magically make any headphone more analytical. With my Q701, HD-600 and 598, that's the case, but with the DJ100...I don't know.

The ODAC seems to make it even MORE revealing and detailed. It's still warm and full sounding, but the difference in recording quality is much noticeable now. Some songs are just so bad and I don't mean due to just bit-rate.

I've been listening to the DJ100 with stock pads for the last week. I think i'm going to switch back to the M50 pads since they make everything sound even more clear. The improved soundstage is worth it too.

I don't know why, but for me it seems that closed headphones have always sounded more revealing and detailed. I don't think the Q701 has even sounded like some sort of detail monsters, but I guess that's a good thing.

BTW after listening to most all of my headphones tonight, I found the HD-600, 598 and DJ100 to be the easiest on the ears. I wasn't really in the mood for the Q701 since it's not too forgiving of my bad tracks and I have a lot of them.

The Q701 and KRK KNS-6400 made a lot of stuff sound bad due to recording flaws. The song from the Black Keys called "I'm not the one" had all these weird treble and mid peaks that were kind of annoying on the 6400 and Q701. They're a bit smoother and less noticeable on the 600! Feels like it was almost taking away all the rough edges or something. Maybe that song isn't supposed to sound that way? I have no clue. Sounds pretty smooth and fatigue free on the DJ100 too.

My K601 now sounds bass light compared to the Q701. What the heck? My modded KRK KNS-8400 really impressed me. It can now hold up well with the DJ100, even when it comes to it's bass.

Despite the Micro Amp and ODAC sounding good, it almost makes the DJ100 sound more balanced than it normally is
biggrin.gif
  The mids now seem a little less fun/engaging. Maybe i'll be weird and attach my Ipod Touch 2G or Clip+ to my amp.

I swear the ODAC almost seems kind of dark at times. Impossible right?

Unrelated weirdness:

When connecting my amp to a surge protector, it makes the DJ100 sounds almost like I would expect it to sound like with a VERY warm tube amp. Obviously much worse, but not so bad the sound is destroyed. I don't like it though. Some science guys can try to explain that one. It's way over my head. There must be a reason for this. This probably would be perhaps less noticeable with the more expensive power supply upgrade for the Micro Amp (Astrodyne). Not sure. I saw a post elsewhere on why this occurred, but don't remember the explanation. I think this surge protector has way too much noise filtering and degrades the sound.

EDIT: After not being "Wowed" like I usually am I switched back to M40 pads. It's really amazing how much just some silly pads can improve the sound of a headphone so much. It's almost like they now sound like an open or semi-open headphone! I hope I'm not up until 3am tonight listening to these.

Somehow there's something on the M40 pads that annoy my ears when it comes to comfort. Not as comfortable as the m50 pads, but bigger soundstage and MAYBE better sound. Maybe it's that I wear glasses and the pads increase clamping. They do offer more room inside the pads for your ears at least.

Nov 3, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #1,196 of 2,344
New discovery: Just tried the SRH440 pads on my DJ100, and it fits as well! The new pads make it sounds much more coherent, more detailed, and better bass. It's almost a new beast now. I just love this.

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #1,197 of 2,344
Quote:
New discovery: Just tried the SRH440 pads on my DJ100, and it fits as well! The new pads make it sounds much more coherent, more detailed, and better bass. It's almost a new beast now. I just love this.

I'll have to try those, but aren't they kind of hard? I sure wish sRH-940 pads were smaller and didn't ruin the sound.

Last night I switched from stock, M40 and M50 pads and they're just not the same (for me) without M50 pads.

I bet the SRH-440 pads make them sound similar to the M50 pads.

I honestly can't figure out WHY exactly the M50 pads make them sound so good.

I think my favorite headphones right now are the DJ100 with M50 pads and modded HD-600 (hate it stock). The modded HD-600 has less bass, is a little less warm than stock and has more forward upper mids.
It's interesting how close they sound now!

Maybe the reason the M50 pads are so good is because they're oval? Why would that matter. Someday i'll figure it out! It should be so simple. Maybe the key is those small fabric covered holes surrounding the driver.

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #1,199 of 2,344
Quote:

Wait a minute. Are you trying to say you haven't tried every pad on the market for the DJ100?!
biggrin.gif

Not yet, but I've probably wasted at least $100 on different pads
biggrin.gif

I wish I could get confirmation from someone if SRH-1840 pads are EXACTLY the same as SRH-940 pads. I think they are.
SRH-1840 pads would be amazing if they didn't kill the bass. I mean it's almost non-existent with the 1840 pads.

Maybe I could get some SRH-440 pads and try the sock mod with them.

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #1,200 of 2,344
What do you think of the KRK KNS 6400 in terms of being my first headphones? I would want all round decent sound without a lack of bass but not too much, nice comfort and isolation. Does it need an amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back