Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Oct 23, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #1,171 of 2,344
Quote:
I'm thinking of buying these headphones to replace my broken "The stretch" ones. Anyone know how the two bass levels compare? I'd like a little more, but on my phone it sounds a bit dry and often times too overpowering.

I found "The Stretch" to be very basscentric  it was pretty bloated and boomy. The DJ100 has a more detailed sound, the bass is slamming enough for me listening to Rock, Pop and Classical. The stretch is lighter and more comfortable. I wouldnt say the DJ100 is a great phone to be using zipping around town and it sounds better amped.A lot depends on the type of music you listen to and how you want to use your HP's. I do think the DJ100 is great for travel, folds up nicely. My TBSE's are even better with the small hard case.

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #1,172 of 2,344
Quote:
Sennheiser HD 439's? That's the newer version of the HD 438's, right?

I can give feedback on the HD 438's if anyone is curious about them or the HD 439's (which I assume sounds mostly the same as the 438's?)

If I'm correct, both the HD-438 and HD-439 are ripe for a serious bass enhancement that costs about $3.00 and takes 15 minutes of time.  Carefully, remove the driver out of the cup.  Flip the driver over, and you you should see a rectangular piece of black mesh tape.  If you remove the black mesh tape, you'll see three bass holes.  Then, take some micropore medical and cover two of the holes.  With the third hole, cover 1/2 of it with micropore tape, and leave one half of the hole open.  The bass will improve tremendously - and, it will be of great quality, too.  I've done this my pair of HD-428s and they are the best $40 headphone available.

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #1,173 of 2,344
Had a really bizarre experience with the DJ100 last night.
I've been using the M50 pads with it for the past year and switched to stock again for testing.
You know those stock pads aren't too terrible when they break in and you've stretched them out slightly.

First thing I thought last night is that maybe my ears were clogged up or something. The sound just didn't sound right. This was coming from M50 pads to using stock pads.

I used Clip+ to Airhead with stock pads. This normally sounds amazing with M50 pads.
This time around it sounded very, very slightly muffled. My idea was that the Clip+ is kind of warm and so are the stock pads.
Maybe this is kind of causing it to have a slight muffling. I didn't notice the Clip+ being slightly warm until I started using my KNS-8400 with my ODAC and it just wasn't the same.
Overall it sounded pretty good, but not like it's old self. Certainly not as crystal clear as using my Micro Amp from ODAC.
That setup with stock pads is really amazing..

So I tried the E11. Nearly the same thing and a somewhat similar sound compared to the Clip+ and Airhead.

I figured maybe using the headphone out jack was degrading the sound somewhat. It's never done this in the past at all. Yeah, despite people claiming a LOD cable is an absolute must. Not in my case.

I then switched to a Sansa Fuze using a LOD cable. Sounded pretty decent, but the sound was not as smooth and as full sounding as it should be. Almost felt like how my Q701 sounds without proper amping. A lot thinner and not as smooth and full sounding. This was from the Fuze to Airhead or E11. Here's the funny part...the E11 allows the DJ100 to be so loud as to cause hearing damage! The Airhead not so much. I think it's because the Airhead is better for the harder to drive headphones (IMO).

When I switched to the headphone out to both amps, the sound was instantly improved. Very clear and full sounding. The signature is pretty smooth without any frequency jumping out at me much. Pretty close, but not good enough. This is basically like double amping the DJ100. Internal Fuze amp plus the Airhead or E11.

Using the headphone out of my Fuze is way, way better than using a LOD cable. Why? Not sure. My idea is that the DJ100 likes the extra power.

I then switched to my Ipod Touch 2G using a LOD to E11/Airhead. PERFECT! If I thought the LOD from Fuze to E11 had TONS of volume, this is even worse. Enough to damage your headphones and hearing. I don't understand why it got louder than the Fuze when bypassing the internal amps? Strange.

When using the headphone out instead, it's even better. What the heck?

So it appears that the more power you give the DJ100 the better it sounds. Even if this means "double amping" it using portable devices. Headphone out to amp is perfectly OK in my experience.

I think it's safe to say that if you use a warm portable player or amp, it may not sound as crystal clear as it should or even too bassy on the wrong amp.

It seems to change it's sound slightly based on what it's connected to. It's almost like it's taking on the signature of it in a way.

Not sure why, but my Fuze+ doesn't sound nearly as good as my Clip+. They're supposed to have the same chipset too. Maybe mine is one that doesn't..

It's funny how the DJ100 with M50 pads is amazing with the Clip+ with no amp, but when using the stock pads it's bass is a bit wild. I guess the M50 pads make it seem less noticeable.

You'll all think i'm nuts, but for my DJ100 to sound as good as it can get, it needs the same portable setup as my Q701.
confused_face_2.gif
Fiio E11 with LOD from Fuze is a complete fail for me..or maybe i'm too picky.

Here's an interesting fact... despite my opinion that the LOD cable to a portable amp is just "good" with the DJ100, it's amazing when connecting that LOD cable to a Fiio E9 or desktop amp. More proof that the DJ100 loves all the power it can get. Bizarre. The DJ100 with stock pads from my ODAC to Headroom Micro Amp is nearly as full sounding as my HD-580, but even more clear. With that setup it's mids aren't too forward and everything is still pretty balanced. I bet O2 + ODAC would be impressive with the DJ100. It's on my list, but i'm pretty convinced my Micro is close to neutral and quite transparent as it is. E9 is pretty neutral too, but no detail monster or ultra revealing.

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #1,174 of 2,344
Hey Tdockweiler, which is better, the X-fi Go Pro? or the Total Airhead? I would assume the Airhead, seeing as how it's much more expensive. If it is indeed better, is is significant enough to justify the $20 price difference between the two? As I said before, I'm really just sticking to my laptop.

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #1,175 of 2,344
Got my TBSE from amazon for 2 weeks and shipped to Malaysia (Getting Koss cans in Malaysia is nearly impossible except KPP, and shipping cost me a bloody $40!!! 
angry_face.gif

At first impression, TBSE is lacking bass, while mids and highs sounds quite harsh and fatiguing on my ears. I cant even keep them on my ears for 5 minutes. After awhile, i begin to fall in love with it. The bass is there, just right without overdoing it, mids and highs are full of clarity and they're simply awesome. Good for vocals and I'm glad I got them now
dt880smile.png

I owned Koss portapro, Creative labs ep-630 and urbeats by dre (terrible IEM bundled with HTC sensation XE). And TBSE is making those IEMs and KPP extremely bassy. I ONLY listen to them whenever i want some metal and dubstep music....
L3000.gif

ATM i'm looking for an affordable amp with it on my Ipod touch 3G......E11 in my mind.

But i have 1 question, can i use an USB to 3.5mm jack adapter on my laptop, connecting it >> Fiio E11 >> TBSE ?
confused.gif

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #1,176 of 2,344
Quote:
Hey Tdockweiler, which is better, the X-fi Go Pro? or the Total Airhead? I would assume the Airhead, seeing as how it's much more expensive. If it is indeed better, is is significant enough to justify the $20 price difference between the two? As I said before, I'm really just sticking to my laptop.

Total Airhead by far IMO, but if I was using a laptop as a source I'd probably get a DAC too.
I'm actually not sure if using a laptop soundcard to the Airhead would be a good idea.

My laptop's soundcard is awful, but some of them are good.

There's also the E7, but I haven't heard that in awhile.

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #1,177 of 2,344
Maybe I spent $55 for a good Total Airhead, but I can't seem to find much difference in my music. So far, it seems like the total Airhead makes the music sound less harsh. It could also be my imagination.

Here are my setups.

Sansa Clip Zip --> DJ100
Sansa Clip Zip --> Total Airhead --> DJ100

Could it be that the Clip Zip has enough power to drive my headphones?

Another odd observation, I think the amp resetted my DJ100 cause the headphones sound even louder at 100% when I connect the headphone directly to the Clip Zip. It wasn't like that before, but it is fine by me :D

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #1,178 of 2,344
Quote:
Maybe I spent $55 for a good Total Airhead, but I can't seem to find much difference in my music. So far, it seems like the total Airhead makes the music sound less harsh. It could also be my imagination.
Here are my setups.
Sansa Clip Zip --> DJ100
Sansa Clip Zip --> Total Airhead --> DJ100
Could it be that the Clip Zip has enough power to drive my headphones?
Another odd observation, I think the amp resetted my DJ100 cause the headphones sound even louder at 100% when I connect the headphone directly to the Clip Zip. It wasn't like that before, but it is fine by me
biggrin.gif

Is this with stock pads or M50 pads?
I've found that the Sansa Clip+ is one of the best devices for the DJ100 and can drive it very, very well. I imagine since the Clip Zip has the same chipset it should have the same power output. I'm not sure of this though. Maybe somehow it's even MORE powerful? The Clip+ is one of the few players I suggest for the DJ100. I don't know how that tiny thing is so powerful. It even drives my HD-600 decently.

I've noticed with my Clip+ with stock pads the bass is a bit sloppy. Not too badly, but not as controlled as with an amp. That's one thing to compare too. The airhead for me seems to smooth out it's sound signature and give me better controlled bass. Fuller sounding mids too. Not due to the Airhead adding it's own signature. Strangely enough (not sure why) the bass is fine with the M50 pads. Makes no sense. The DJ100 straight out of my Clip+ with stock pads is a bit more bassy and  warm than it normally is. Many people would like this I imagine! I think it's just my DJ100 saying it would like a bit more power. All these differences i've pointed out are very minor BTW.

It did seem like the Clip Zip I tried had more forward mids than the Clip+. Same chipset, so this is impossible I imagine!

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #1,179 of 2,344
@tdockweiler
I have tried it with stock pads. I do agree that the DJ100 straight from the Clip Zip has a bit more bass (just a tad) than with the Total Airhead and the Clip Zip together. I will have to test it a few more days with the total airhead and compare the two setups later. I'm still on the fence about the m50 pads since I have heard they get hard after 6months or so.

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #1,180 of 2,344
Quote:
At first impression, TBSE is lacking bass, while mids and highs sounds quite harsh and fatiguing on my ears. I cant even keep them on my ears for 5 minutes. After awhile, i begin to fall in love with it. The bass is there, just right without overdoing it, mids and highs are full of clarity and they're simply awesome. Good for vocals and I'm glad I got them now
dt880smile.png

I had exactly the same experience with my dj100. 

Oct 25, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #1,181 of 2,344
"
  1. CrystalT
  2. Formerly known as XanderTJ.
  3. badge_100.v1305918906.png
  5. offline
  1. 439 Posts. Joined 10/2011
  2. Location: Tucson, Arizona

I really don't like the M50 either. I thought it was really boring. Not my cup of tear, but still a solid performer in the price range. I'd take a DJPro100 over
'em anyday though.

ProDJ00 is one of the worst headphones I have ever had the displeasure of hearing. I would take Senn HD280 or Audio Technica T400/AD500 or Superlux, or any Samson oem product over it any day of the week. In fact I did, until I got my hands on a second-hand M50.

I don't think I'm on Head-Fi anymore.

I got my M50 for $60, $21 less than I spent on my Grados.

If Grados are universally herald as the entry in to audiophillia, and M50 is the obvious step up, why are people saying they aren't good? Nobody is saying they are the end-all. In fact, I regularly demo flagship systems, and they are very obviously only a marginal upgrade to what I currently own.

lol

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #1,182 of 2,344
Quote:
Total Airhead by far IMO, but if I was using a laptop as a source I'd probably get a DAC too.
I'm actually not sure if using a laptop soundcard to the Airhead would be a good idea.

My laptop's soundcard is awful, but some of them are good.

There's also the E7, but I haven't heard that in awhile.

Would the X-Fi Go! Pro function just fine as a DAC in tandem with the Airhead then? The two together are quite outside my budget, but I am still curious. And my laptop doesn't even have a dedicated sound card. ^ ^;; 

Separate question. Should I burn in the headphones with the amp/dac? Or is it fine to burn them in on their own? 

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #1,183 of 2,344
Quote:
Would the X-Fi Go! Pro function just fine as a DAC in tandem with the Airhead then? The two together are quite outside my budget, but I am still curious. And my laptop doesn't even have a dedicated sound card. ^ ^;; 

Separate question. Should I burn in the headphones with the amp/dac? Or is it fine to burn them in on their own? 

Are you planning on gaming or just listening to music and/or watching movies? Because if you don't need gaming audio support, you could get the amp for now and later on get a DAC.

About burn in, just play music (the more dynamic, the better) as you usually would and when you're not using the headphones, leave music playing at slightly higher levels than your regular listening levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back