Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Oct 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #1,156 of 2,344
I'm thinking of buying these headphones to replace my broken "The stretch" ones. Anyone know how the two bass levels compare? I'd like a little more, but on my phone it sounds a bit dry and often times too overpowering.

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #1,157 of 2,344
I am deaf in my right ear and ProDJ100's are a great solution. They sound good with my Iphone 4 so far. I almost went with Pioneer HDJ-1000 because of the mono-switch. Very happy with my ProDJ100's, and I got them under $50 on Amazon.

I was reading through 75+ pages on this thread and learned a lot on amp options around $50.  Anyone want to give me their short list for portable amps (iphone4s) and another short list for xbox/ps3 amps?

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #1,158 of 2,344
Quote:

Which artists do you listen to?

Mostly supercell and Nagi Yanagi. Then again I haven't been searching for more recently so I'll appreciate any recommendation 
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #1,159 of 2,344
Quote:
oh, by cheaper, I guess I meant cheaper than the W3000ANV
normal_smile%20.gif
Like under $500.
Some of the Audio Technica headphones I want to try are kind of pricy. I remember always hearing the W1000 (not the W1000X) was amazing for vocals but needed a specific amp to be at it's best. I ended up going with the ATH-AD2000 but it's pads were what killed that experience. Vocals were good, but I wouldn't buy it just for them. For me it seems like closed headphones always seem to be better for vocal oriented music.

I always wanted to try the W1000X too, but i've heard it's better for male vocals rather than female. That thing may have too much bass for me. It's been on my radar but I'd hate to return it if I didn't like it. There's no way to demo it. It's sound signature seems a bit weird when you look at graphs.

Of course I've always loved the HD-598 for female vocals. Somehow I haven't listened to it as much as I should lately. It seemed better for them than the HD-600. I'd take the 650 over the 600 just for vocals though. I think it had to do with the more closed in soundstage that I heard.

The ATH-AD300 has some similarities to the DJ100. Unlike the AD700 it doesn't have a massive soundstage and it's fuller sounding and has much more bass. Not as clear as the DJ100, but really good for the $35 I paid. It retails for $75 but they just discontinued it.

I'll try the A900X sometime. Based on graphs it appears to focus on bass and treble. Probably not true, but I saw this:
http://goldenears.net/board/2363155

Wonder if it's fairly forgiving of really harsh and fatiguing Jpop. Probably not. I've found the DJ100 to be good with those tracks. For example, some "bad" tracks from Hitomi and Utada Hikaru.

I agree that for the same kind of mid, you'd probably want to look into closed headphones instead of open-back. The A900X might come close, since I've heard a lot of hypes about its mid and soundstage, but I haven't heard it so can't really say. The driver actually look very similar to my W3000ANV, which might be the reason for the hype above. For the W1000X, but I've tried it and it's a bit too dark for me. The W3000ANV sounds much more coherent, detailed and balanced over the spectrum. It seems AT has taken their coloration in sound a bit too far with the W1000X. 

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #1,160 of 2,344
Quote:
I am deaf in my right ear and ProDJ100's are a great solution. They sound good with my Iphone 4 so far. I almost went with Pioneer HDJ-1000 because of the mono-switch. Very happy with my ProDJ100's, and I got them under $50 on Amazon.

I was reading through 75+ pages on this thread and learned a lot on amp options around $50.  Anyone want to give me their short list for portable amps (iphone4s) and another short list for xbox/ps3 amps?

Guess the DJ100 also has a mono-stereo switch, but what does it really do? 
FiiO E17 or JDS O2 are two that I come up with on the spur of moment, but there's really a lot of entry-level amps for Ip4s.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #1,163 of 2,344
I wouldn't really base an experience off the sound tests at best buy. I swear the station is defunct unless you can get a test bypassing the best buy listening station station (ex: I can use my 3.5 mm to mini xlr cable to listen to the pioneer products). Every best buy demo I have ever tried makes it sound like a tin can, and it even makes the pioneer hdj2000 sound horrible compared to when I plug in my own cable. All of the headphones are completely absent of bass and treble and the vocals are so distant.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #1,164 of 2,344
The connections for those Best Buy stations are all right under the shelf, you can take a 3.5mm extension and easily unhook any of them and connect it straight to your own portable source... The cables are usually zip tied in place tho, hence why it's a good idea to bring an extension.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #1,165 of 2,344
Quote:
I wouldn't really base an experience off the sound tests at best buy. I swear the station is defunct unless you can get a test bypassing the best buy listening station station (ex: I can use my 3.5 mm to mini xlr cable to listen to the pioneer products). Every best buy demo I have ever tried makes it sound like a tin can, and it even makes the pioneer hdj2000 sound horrible compared to when I plug in my own cable. All of the headphones are completely absent of bass and treble and the vocals are so distant.

Yeah I got permission to unlock it.

They sounded around the same ish on my phone, But I was using Dj200 vs. HD 439.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #1,167 of 2,344
I was newly introduced to the world of high-end headphones just recently when I picked up a pair of TBSE's from Tuesday Mornings. I read much of this thread, but I am still not sure on what set-up would be optimal for me. What would be your guys' suggestions for a portable amp under $50 if I am mostly listening to music from my laptop, and to a lesser extent, my ipod nano video? I'm looking at the Fiio E5, but some reviews have said that it barely makes a difference. Also, LOD or no LOD? Or does that depend on the amp? If so suggestions for an LOD cable to go with the amp would be great. 

And is it widely accepted that the ATH M-50 pads are the best pads for this headphone? My ears are a little too big for the stock pads, but I'm hesitant about making the modification because I am pretty mobile. I really like the case for carrying around my TBSE's, but I'm afraid that the M-50 pads will be a bad fit for the case. 

Advice would be appreciated. 

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #1,169 of 2,344
Quote:
I was newly introduced to the world of high-end headphones just recently when I picked up a pair of TBSE's from Tuesday Mornings. I read much of this thread, but I am still not sure on what set-up would be optimal for me. What would be your guys' suggestions for a portable amp under $50 if I am mostly listening to music from my laptop, and to a lesser extent, my ipod nano video? I'm looking at the Fiio E5, but some reviews have said that it barely makes a difference. Also, LOD or no LOD? Or does that depend on the amp? If so suggestions for an LOD cable to go with the amp would be great. 

And is it widely accepted that the ATH M-50 pads are the best pads for this headphone? My ears are a little too big for the stock pads, but I'm hesitant about making the modification because I am pretty mobile. I really like the case for carrying around my TBSE's, but I'm afraid that the M-50 pads will be a bad fit for the case. 

Advice would be appreciated. 

For a laptop, I wouldn't suggest an E5 since it will only sound as good as your source. You could try an E7, but I barely remember this combination. It did seem to have fairly edgy sounding treble with my K702 and other headphones.
For portable players the E5 or E6 would be perfect. With my setup I prefer to bypass a LOD and go with the headphone out. For me it doesn't degrade the sound of the DJ100, but improves it. At least with the Clip+ headphone out.

BTW if your laptop has a good sound chip you may not even need an external amp! My Realtek HD chipset is pretty good actually which was a surprise. That's on my desktop though. My laptops sound is AWFUL.

One DAC I liked better for the DJ100 over the E7 and E10 is the Creative X-Fi Go Pro. It's found online for around $35 and even seems to drive my HD-580 decently. Best Buy carries them and they're pretty good about returns if you don't like it.
I need to update my review on that with the DJ100 because I tried it again and it was pretty good with the DJ100.

The M50 pads + DJ100 fit in the case just fine. You can stuff foam or tissues in the edges and that may improve comfort slightly. M50 pads give you a little more room.

Not sure why, but one of the best portable setups i've heard is the Ipod Touch 2G to Fiio E5. Too bad my Ipod Touch has a defective headphone jack.

I bet a CMOY amp would be amazing for the DJ100, but I haven't tried one yet. Maybe the PA2V2 is also good..it's been on my list to try.

Quote:
Would I be better of with an FiiO E7 USB DAC or FiiO E11 for my DJPro100's?

I prefer the E5/E6 to the E7 and E11 with the DJ100. This is ONLY with a headphone out jack to the amp. The DJ100 likes the extra power from the internal amp of a portable player. It seems like it'd be a big no-no, but that hasn't been the case for me.

I definitely prefer the Headroom Total Airhead (probably still on sale for $50) over any of the portable Fiio amps. Haven't tried the E17, but that's like $100+.

Despite what people say, I think the DJ100 sounds best when you give it a ton of power or use it with a desktop amp. One amp I love for the DJ100 is the Fiio E9 (large jack ONLY). A bit overkill for the DJ100, but not for me
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #1,170 of 2,344
Would you recommend the Headroom Total Airhead over the Creative X-Fi Go Pro for my laptop then? And if so, would the jump in quality be enough to justify the $23 difference between the two?

Creative X-Fi Go Pro on Amazon for $33

Headroom Total Airhead on Headphones.com for $56 (w/shipping)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back