Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Aug 14, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #841 of 2,344
Re: Bass of the DJ100s: Amp these cans, play The Dark Knight Rises OST by Hans Zimmer (lossless, of course), make sure it's at a decent volume, and come talk to me - I would be very surprised if anybody had issue with their bass after doing this. There are parts of this album that makes it feel like the diaphragm is trying to push the earphone away from my ear due to so much air being moved. That was my experience out of my laptop with the E17, which is by no means a big boy's amp.

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #842 of 2,344
Quote:

I think you should be OK. I have an Onkyo receiver and the DJ100/TB sounds OK from it. The output impedance may be too high possibly, but it's worth a try. I have an older receiver with a 330ohm(!!?) headphone output impedance and my DJ100 sounds basically the same. Huh?! Don't know how or why. Some Technics receiver from 1993 or so. It's kind of a weakling with speakers, but sounds especially good with headphones.

The Iphone should be ok too. I only have the Ipod Touch 2G and it does OK with the DJ100. If they're ever fatiguing or harsh, an amp can often help. I 100% do think even a E6 with the Iphone or Ipod can improve them even further. Ipod Touch to E5 with headphone out sounds amazing IMO.

Your creative card should do fine too. I want to buy the Titanium HD for my DJ100. It seems to measure extremely well. My old one got fried in a surge and now I only have onboard sound. Have an HRT dac though.

Thanks mate, that was really helpful. I'll get the E5 later then. Now I can't wait for my new headphones to arrive and listen to some girls generation songs. You say these are good with asian pop right? :D

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #843 of 2,344
Quote:

Thanks mate, that was really helpful. I'll get the E5 later then. Now I can't wait for my new headphones to arrive and listen to some girls generation songs. You say these are good with asian pop right? :D

The E6 is supposed to have better bass, but it's a little more expensive. Be sure to get one from an authorized reseller or there's a chance for a fake. I love the DJ100 with asian pop, but mostly female vocals. Some of it I can't stand. Utada Hikaru's Japanese releases are especially good. Cantopop is good on them too. I've yet to hear any Kpop though
normal_smile%20.gif
I think the DJ100 is my favorite headphone there is for female vocals. Even over the HD-580/598.

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #844 of 2,344
Am I weird for thinking that the bass on these headphones is on the verge of being too much? I think I might just need to stop listening to bass-emphasized songs (hip-hop).

The bass on the M50's were definitely getting a bit too much for me. I felt like the bass was making my ears hurt, but that could also be due to the poor quality of the tracks or the way they were recorded...

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #845 of 2,344
Not at all. I've found that the more time I spend here the less of a bass head I become. I got here wanting sick bass and the rest was secondary. I now value miss the most and too much bass is very easy for me to hit now.

Quote:
Am I weird for thinking that the bass on these headphones is on the verge of being too much? I think I might just need to stop listening to bass-emphasized songs (hip-hop).

The bass on the M50's were definitely getting a bit too much for me. I felt like the bass was making my ears hurt, but that could also be due to the poor quality of the tracks or the way they were recorded...

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #846 of 2,344
Quote:

Not at all. I think for me it's the perfect amount. I always thought they were one step away from being bass heavy. Not like XB500 or DT-770 Pro 80 bass heavy..but like M50. I think if they had any more bass, there would be too much bass bleed and it'd kill the sound. Some actually say the M50 pads reduce the bass slightly, but if that's the case it's not reduced enough for me to care. Have you tried M50 pads yet? I think you said you did earlier.

What's funny is that when using these for video games using my Xbox 360, they almost have too much. For music..it's fine. When I use the Dj100 with Fallout 3 or Bioshock 2 there's almost too much bass. Not quite. If you go into specific subways in Fallout 3 my HD-600 with HD-650 cable will almost vibrate my ears and really annoy me (stock cable or my DHC is much more balanced). Totally ruins the experience almost. My DJ100 is not quite that bad.

In Bioshock 2, everything is so full sounding. You really feel as if you're walking around in that giant suit of metal. The extra bass helps alot. Believe it or not, the DJ100 is one of the more immersive gaming headphones despite behind closed. The KRK KNS-8400 is also nearly as good, but not as full sounding and has a little less bass. I think the DJ100 is the perfect headphone for Fallout 3. Someone here else said the Pro4AAT was good too. I'm a Fallout 3 addict.

I actually think the 2nd best thing about the DJ100 is it's good bass. I don't believe this non-sense about them having rolled off bass. The 8400 has good sub-bass too strangely.

BTW for those that don't think this has decent enough bass, try out Yo-Yo Ma's "Simply Baroque" with M50 pads and even compare it to the HD-600. It holds up very, very well and just as full sounding. Just have to amp it very well since that helps with the soundstage and full mids. Comparing those two to the Q701 just made me sad. It's like "Hey, where'd my bass go?". For that CD it's not just about bass. I think that's one of the few CDs I hated on the Q701.

I really like the Pirates of the Carribean CDs on the DJ100. I don't know why, but the electronic stuff of the On Stranger Tides CD is amusing to listen to on the DJ100. The Hans Zimmer "Inception" soundtrack sounds kind of muffled, but it's the CD. That's too bad. Guess it's supposed to sound that way. I must try the Batman CD mentioned above.

The Buena Vista Social Club sounds great on the DJ100 with M50 pads too. Another CD to demonstrate the benefits of the DJ100 with an amp. That CD fools my brain into thinking the DJ100 is open or semi-open. Somehow i've found that any CD that sounds good on my DJ100 sounds good on my HD-580 too (a little different than the HD-600).

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #847 of 2,344
I only tried one M50 pad on the DJ100's and even then, I listened to it for about 1-2 minutes. Guess I need to give them another shot.

I may buy a set of M50 pads since the ones on my current M50's are getting stiff. 

I just checked out music from the Buena Vista Social Club. Pretty good stuff! 

Quote:

Not at all. I think for me it's the perfect amount. I always thought they were one step away from being bass heavy. Not like XB500 or DT-770 Pro 80 bass heavy..but like M50. I think if they had any more bass, there would be too much bass bleed and it'd kill the sound. Some actually say the M50 pads reduce the bass slightly, but if that's the case it's not reduced enough for me to care. Have you tried M50 pads yet? I think you said you did earlier.

What's funny is that when using these for video games using my Xbox 360, they almost have too much. For music..it's fine. When I use the Dj100 with Fallout 3 or Bioshock 2 there's almost too much bass. Not quite. If you go into specific subways in Fallout 3 my HD-600 with HD-650 cable will almost vibrate my ears and really annoy me (stock cable or my DHC is much more balanced). Totally ruins the experience almost. My DJ100 is not quite that bad.

In Bioshock 2, everything is so full sounding. You really feel as if you're walking around in that giant suit of metal. The extra bass helps alot. Believe it or not, the DJ100 is one of the more immersive gaming headphones despite behind closed. The KRK KNS-8400 is also nearly as good, but not as full sounding and has a little less bass. I think the DJ100 is the perfect headphone for Fallout 3. Someone here else said the Pro4AAT was good too. I'm a Fallout 3 addict.

I actually think the 2nd best thing about the DJ100 is it's good bass. I don't believe this non-sense about them having rolled off bass. The 8400 has good sub-bass too strangely.

BTW for those that don't think this has decent enough bass, try out Yo-Yo Ma's "Simply Baroque" with M50 pads and even compare it to the HD-600. It holds up very, very well and just as full sounding. Just have to amp it very well since that helps with the soundstage and full mids. Comparing those two to the Q701 just made me sad. It's like "Hey, where'd my bass go?". For that CD it's not just about bass. I think that's one of the few CDs I hated on the Q701.

I really like the Pirates of the Carribean CDs on the DJ100. I don't know why, but the electronic stuff of the On Stranger Tides CD is amusing to listen to on the DJ100. The Hans Zimmer "Inception" soundtrack sounds kind of muffled, but it's the CD. That's too bad. Guess it's supposed to sound that way. I must try the Batman CD mentioned above.

The Buena Vista Social Club sounds great on the DJ100 with M50 pads too. Another CD to demonstrate the benefits of the DJ100 with an amp. That CD fools my brain into thinking the DJ100 is open or semi-open. Somehow i've found that any CD that sounds good on my DJ100 sounds good on my HD-580 too (a little different than the HD-600).

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #848 of 2,344
Quote:
I only tried one M50 pad on the DJ100's and even then, I listened to it for about 1-2 minutes. Guess I need to give them another shot.

I may buy a set of M50 pads since the ones on my current M50's are getting stiff. 

I just checked out music from the Buena Vista Social Club. Pretty good stuff! 

What you could try is to temporarily install the DJ100 pads on the M50. I think they fit
biggrin.gif
Probably sounds awful.
I bought my M50 pads from Sweetwater online, but Amazon has them too.

I need to try to find a way to fix the pad problem. Maybe I can put my M50 pads in the washer without destroying them. I've only had these pads for 6 months and they've gone hard. Not like I sweat all over the place either. Seems they get harder then I leave them out in the open more. I've yet to use my Tony Bennett case!

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #849 of 2,344
Just got my pair of DJ100 today. Sadly I don't have any time to listen to them before sunday.
Should be pretty nicely burned in by then though :)

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #850 of 2,344
Quote:

I think you should be OK. I have an Onkyo receiver and the DJ100/TB sounds OK from it. The output impedance may be too high possibly, but it's worth a try. I have an older receiver with a 330ohm(!!?) headphone output impedance and my DJ100 sounds basically the same. Huh?! Don't know how or why. Some Technics receiver from 1993 or so. It's kind of a weakling with speakers, but sounds especially good with headphones.

The Iphone should be ok too. I only have the Ipod Touch 2G and it does OK with the DJ100. If they're ever fatiguing or harsh, an amp can often help. I 100% do think even a E6 with the Iphone or Ipod can improve them even further. Ipod Touch to E5 with headphone out sounds amazing IMO.

Your creative card should do fine too. I want to buy the Titanium HD for my DJ100. It seems to measure extremely well. My old one got fried in a surge and now I only have onboard sound. Have an HRT dac though.

It is actually pretty interesting.  With some headphones it makes a difference, with some it doesn't.  I personally, while it effects my HD595, it makes no difference to the DJ100.  There are actually some graphs about it somewhere.  I forget the website.

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #851 of 2,344
Just got in my Pro700 MKII pads. Unfortunately they're worse than stock IMO in both sound and comfort. They're round and a perfect fit though.
They seemed to make the DJ100/TB sound congested and the M50 pads have a clearer sound and larger soundstage. Something was fatiguing my ears fast and the DJ100 NEVER does that.

BTW I bought another DJ100 today. I have the Tony Bennett version. I had a guilty feeling buying it since I shouldn't be buying headphones and i've only had about 7 pairs already.
Haven't opened it and might return it before I do. Still $59.99 at Best Buy. My store didn't have them listed on sale in the store until I got to checkout.

I'm going to buy an ODAC soon. I hope it'll be OK for the DJ100. Lately i've found some issues with my HRT MSII and my Q701. I need to find a really transparent DAC under $200 that's good for my HD-580, Q701 and DJ100.
I've heard it's fatiguing or has edgy treble, but probably not possible. At least you'd think so.

I tried my onboard audio on my motherboard and it's more neutral than my HRT. Makes me sad
frown.gif
I was basically shocked at the differences. I guess these days, desktop computers sound isn't that bad.
I was even considering a Titanium HD at one point. Those seem to measure very well and are cheap. Xonor DX measures extremely well too I think. My X-Fi card was fried recently in a surge.

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #852 of 2,344
It seems i've learned more about my current setup this week than in the last year. Weird.

I don't know why, but this headphone seems to sound different with every little amp or DAC change. You can really hear the differences, despite how slight. On my Micro Amp I can't hear it adding any coloration though. I guess that's a good thing.

On my Sansa Clip+ is sounds very balanced.

Here's what's bizarre. Last night for my amusement I switched my Q701 from using my HRT MSII dac to onboard sound(!). Sent to my Headroom Micro Amp. Sounded pretty good. The soundstage was actually larger and everything more neutral. Huh?!

Today I'm using the same onboard sound (to amp) and the DJ100 is like telling me how crappy the onboard sound is, but it was fine with my Q701. No joke. Overall it sounds OK, but lacking something. It's not the DJ100 causing this..or the amp.
My ears are telling me that it sounds ok, but something is "Off".

I switched to a full sized CD player and both sounded different. My JVC sounds more musical than my more laid-back Oppo DV-981. I kind of like this at times.

I think my Sansa Clip+ sounds better than my onboard sound. Never thought i'd be buying a new DAC just for a $60 headphone
biggrin.gif

What's really even more sad is that it seems like with my onboard sound it's stupid easy to detect low bitrate files on the DJ100. More so than my HRT. What the heck?!

Another weird thing I noticed, is that on my E9 it's way harder to tell the difference between DAC/source changes. On my Micro Amp it's extremely easy.

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #853 of 2,344
Quote:
Re: Bass of the DJ100s: Amp these cans, play The Dark Knight Rises OST by Hans Zimmer (lossless, of course), make sure it's at a decent volume, and come talk to me - I would be very surprised if anybody had issue with their bass after doing this. There are parts of this album that makes it feel like the diaphragm is trying to push the earphone away from my ear due to so much air being moved. That was my experience out of my laptop with the E17, which is by no means a big boy's amp.

I may have faulty ears - I've been reading about compression and dynamic range lately, and this OST in particular (possibly others by HZ) has terrible dynamic range. It still has plenty of bass as I said, but it's compressed to hell by all accounts. I think my ears need remedial training...

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #854 of 2,344
Quote:
I may have faulty ears - I've been reading about compression and dynamic range lately, and this OST in particular (possibly others by HZ) has terrible dynamic range. It still has plenty of bass as I said, but it's compressed to hell by all accounts. I think my ears need remedial training...

I have the same issue with the "Inception" soundtrack. Sounds very muffled on almost headphone. That's too bad. Strangely his Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks are OK.

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #855 of 2,344

Users who are viewing this thread

Back