Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Aug 12, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #826 of 2,344
Quote:
Well, after giving these a good week of listening......

They just aren't cutting the mustard for me. After owning a pair of Equation Audio RP-22x cans, these just don't have the impact and bang in the low end that I crave. The setups I listen to these with are in my sig. The main use is for determining which songs have enough bass to sound good in my car, so I need cans that can mimic the bang of the system in my car and these cans just can't. It's very easy to make them bottom out and the bass doesn't rattle my brain. I could see myself using these for my portable setup as they are a very balanced sounding can that, in spite of my observations here, do have pretty good bass but when I listen on my PC I need my wig pushed back

Considering some Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 MKII's, think that'll do the trick?

Yes, these don't have tons of bass. I'm surprised you even got them, because I don't think anyone has said they do..wait except for Koss
biggrin.gif
I think on the box they claim "Extreme bass response".

If you want to have the bass knock your socks off (or your wig) you can try the DT-770 Pro 80. These days not even the M50 seems to satisfy some people. The DT-770 Pro 80 is the one bass heavy headphone that I actually think is quite good. I even prefer it to the DT-990 Pro, which seemed to have even more recessed mids.

So, yeah IMO they have slightly, more like VERY slightly above neutral bass.

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #827 of 2,344
Quote:
Yes, these don't have tons of bass. I'm surprised you even got them, because I don't think anyone has said they do..wait except for Koss
biggrin.gif
I think on the box they claim "Extreme bass response".

If you want to have the bass knock your socks off (or your wig) you can try the DT-770 Pro 80. These days not even the M50 seems to satisfy some people. The DT-770 Pro 80 is the one bass heavy headphone that I actually think is quite good. I even prefer it to the DT-990 Pro, which seemed to have even more recessed mids.

So, yeah IMO they have slightly, more like VERY slightly above neutral bass.

I like them, don't get me wrong, but not for my bass listening. If i'm listening to some old Soul/Funk music like Maze featuring Frankie Beverley, the DJ100's would most likely be my can of choice. But when i'm listening to some slowed/bass boosted songs from Decaf, i'm gonna need some cans that can bring it. Strongly considering some Audio Technica ATH-Pro700MKII's...how do those compare to the DT-770 Pro 80's?

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #828 of 2,344
I received my DJ100's today! Listening to them for the past 2 hours. I don't know too much about what to listen for when judging headphones, but I like the way they sound out of the box.

Seems like the seal on these aren't as good as the M50. Maybe it's because the earpads aren't as thick and they definitely don't clamp as tightly as the M50's.

I tried the M50 earpad on these headphones for a little bit, but continued using the stock pads because I wouldn't be able to use the M50's if I switched them out. =p

I'm listening to them through my Rockboxed Clip+ and it sounds great!

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #829 of 2,344
Quote:
I received my DJ100's today! Listening to them for the past 2 hours. I don't know too much about what to listen for when judging headphones, but I like the way they sound out of the box.

Seems like the seal on these aren't as good as the M50. Maybe it's because the earpads aren't as thick and they definitely don't clamp as tightly as the M50's.

I tried the M50 earpad on these headphones for a little bit, but continued using the stock pads because I wouldn't be able to use the M50's if I switched them out. =p

I'm listening to them through my Rockboxed Clip+ and it sounds great!

Agreed. The seal was pretty weak compared to my RP-22x's as well...on my first listen with them my gf said "I like your other one's better cause I can hear what you're listening to with these one's." She said she never heard what I was listening to with my other cans unless I took them off with the music still playing. I also tried the M50 pads on my DJ100's and preferred the sound better with the stock one's, I seemed to lose some bass with the M50's. But since the DJ100's are getting demoted to my "musical" listening cans as soon as my ATH-700 MKII's show up, I think I'll put the M50's back on cause they were pretty comfy.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #830 of 2,344
So after reading this thread I decided to check these out.  I went over to my local Best Buy and picked these up along with those headset stands (bought 4 of them lol!).  After testing them with various devices, I must say that I am very pleased with my purchase.  The vocals are clear but the bass was a little lacking for my taste.  After plugging them into my amp and EQ'ing them a bit, I found that these headphones were very enjoyable to listen to.  Thanks for the discussion guys, added another gem to my growing collection.

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #831 of 2,344
Seems like people are reporting mixed reactions to the bass on these cans.  It may be personal preference, but I'm wondering if we can have some of the recent buyers who aren't satisfied with the bass report back after some burn in has been done.  How does the bass compare to the Porta Pro?  I'm still trying to decide if I should give the DJ100 a shot or just spend the extra cash on some M50s.

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #832 of 2,344
Just letting it be known that I read 

Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King

as 

Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Burger King  

Dammit this being on the front forum page when I'm hungry :)

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #833 of 2,344
Quote:
Seems like people are reporting mixed reactions to the bass on these cans.  It may be personal preference, but I'm wondering if we can have some of the recent buyers who aren't satisfied with the bass report back after some burn in has been done.  How does the bass compare to the Porta Pro?  I'm still trying to decide if I should give the DJ100 a shot or just spend the extra cash on some M50s.

Buy both and return/sell the loser
normal_smile%20.gif
Better yet, review them! Hopefully you don't get the impression that they're bass-light. They're NOT even remotely IMO. It's actually my bassiest headphone, but pretty close to my HD-580 in bass quantity.

I do have to wonder if the people who say the DJ100s don't have enough are semi bass-heads (and maybe they just don't know it). It's just baffling to me how these could not have enough bass for someone looking for a somewhat balanced sound signature. All along my guess is that the people who say this are coming from a bass heavy headphone and that's understandable. I do understand some just prefer more bass. These actually have more bass than my KRK KNS-8400 by far and I hear those suggested as an alternative to the M50
confused_face_2.gif
Makes no sense. To me this is a far better alternative to the M50 and they don't have all that much less bass than the white boxed version IMO. The white boxed M50 just barely classifies as bass heavy to my ears.

These definitely won't make any of your recordings more bass heavy than they're supposed to be. Maybe a tiny bit. The bass is quite accurate. Pretty similar in quantity to my HD-580, but these have a little more sub-bass. I've checked this more than once. What I love is that it's mid-bass doesn't stick out and draw attention to itself like some of my older headphones. Maybe people prefer a larger mid-bass hump. The HD-600 has that..the HD-580 a little less of one.

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #834 of 2,344
Aug 14, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #836 of 2,344
Being one who complained about not enough bass, I am indeed a basshead and coming from a bonafide basshead set of cans, the Eartools RP-22x. These do have bass but they simply cant be driven as hard as the RP-22x, which I was never able to bottom out. I bottomed out the dj100 without even trying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #837 of 2,344
Hello guys, i've been reading this thread a lot and I just ordered the TBSE1 from amazon for $83, I almost bought those good looking blue solo hd... but found head-fi. Anyway I'm not sure if I really need an amp for these; I'm gonna use them most of the time with my onkyo receiver/pc sound card (creative xtrememusic) + flac files, and just sometimes straight from my iPhone. So in case i need an amp could you tell me wich should i get?

Thanks.

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #839 of 2,344
Quote:
Hello guys, i've been reading this thread a lot and I just ordered the TBSE1 from amazon for $83, I almost bought those good looking blue solo hd... but found head-fi. Anyway I'm not sure if I really need an amp for these; I'm gonna use them most of the time with my onkyo receiver/pc sound card (creative xtrememusic) + flac files, and just sometimes straight from my iPhone. So in case i need an amp could you tell me wich should i get?

Thanks.

I think you should be OK. I have an Onkyo receiver and the DJ100/TB sounds OK from it. The output impedance may be too high possibly, but it's worth a try. I have an older receiver with a 330ohm(!!?) headphone output impedance and my DJ100 sounds basically the same. Huh?! Don't know how or why. Some Technics receiver from 1993 or so. It's kind of a weakling with speakers, but sounds especially good with headphones.

The Iphone should be ok too. I only have the Ipod Touch 2G and it does OK with the DJ100. If they're ever fatiguing or harsh, an amp can often help. I 100% do think even a E6 with the Iphone or Ipod can improve them even further. Ipod Touch to E5 with headphone out sounds amazing IMO.

Your creative card should do fine too. I want to buy the Titanium HD for my DJ100. It seems to measure extremely well. My old one got fried in a surge and now I only have onboard sound. Have an HRT dac though.

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #840 of 2,344
BTW I ordered some Pro700 MKII pads for the DJ100. They fit and i'm hoping they're as good as M50 pads or even better.
They cost under $9 for each side and shipping is only $4. I'll let everyone know how they sound.

Hopefully some rich person can take one for the team and try to see if the Pioneer HDJ-2000 pads fit. Probably not a chance. They look a bit smaller.
Yeah...i'd pay $40 pads for this headphone if they're good.

I tried to bribe Koss to make us some memory foam pad upgrades, but not like that'll happen ever. I don't even know if you could retain the stock sound with memory foam pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back