Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Aug 7, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #796 of 2,344
Quote:
You mentioned that there  would be better buys for around $100. Care to name some that have some of the features that the TBs have (foldable, comes with a case, detachable cables ect.)?

Over $100. AFAIK there's really nothing filling that vacuum from $80-$100. I wasn't aware that you cared that much about these features, as I was focusing on the sound. If there's one pair of headphones in that area that sound better than the TBSE1s, it's the Aviators (Tyll also has the same opinion). My friend got his for about $120. They don't really need a case, as their shells are pretty scratch-resistant, and their cups are also foldable. Very comfortable too. They don't have detachable cables, but at least the cables aren't thick and coiled.

I'm aware that the Aviators are regarded as decent but overpriced in these parts, but you could say the same for the TBSE1s, which IME doesn't seem to sound as good.

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #797 of 2,344
Quote:

Over $100. AFAIK there's really nothing filling that vacuum from $80-$100. I wasn't aware that you cared that much about these features, as I was focusing on the sound. If there's one pair of headphones in that area that sound better than the TBSE1s, it's the Aviators (Tyll also has the same opinion). My friend got his for about $120. They don't really need a case, as their shells are pretty scratch-resistant, and their cups are also foldable. Very comfortable too. They don't have detachable cables, but at least the cables aren't thick and coiled.

I'm aware that the Aviators are regarded as decent but overpriced in these parts, but you could say the same for the TBSE1s, which IME doesn't seem to sound as good.

Hmm well the aviators are $140 on B&H, which is $60 more than the TBSE1's.  Also, Amazon has the DJ100's at $47.39.
Edit: so, I was looking around on craigslist and someone was selling Shure 840's for $130. Just wondering if this was a good price for them, and if they are a better value than the TBSE1s or the Aviators? They are brand new in the original box.

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #798 of 2,344
Quote:
Hmm well the aviators are $140 on B&H, which is $60 more than the TBSE1's.  Also, Amazon has the DJ100's at $47.39.

Plus shipping and handling and you might as well buy it in Canada. Hmm I guess my friend got his on sale then. Wait for a sale?

I gave you that link earlier where the DJ100s are $45 + $10 shipping: http://www.hookbag.ca/product/H3C06TPVK/ (Sold out)

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #799 of 2,344
Quote:

Plus shipping and handling and you might as well buy it in Canada. Hmm I guess my friend got his on sale then. Wait for a sale?

I gave you that link earlier where the DJ100s are $45 + $10 shipping: http://www.hookbag.ca/product/H3C06TPVK/

So including S&H The TBSE1's are $40 more than the DJ100's. Just wondering. how do the Shure 840's compare to the DJ100, if you've ever heard them.

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #800 of 2,344
Quote:

I preferred the Aviators to my DJ100. I preferred the sound, and found them MUCH more comfortable. And I don't think they are overpriced. I think they are worth what I paid for them, which was $150. I no longer have the Aviators though. I sold them to my brother when he was looking for headphones. He liked the style of them over the DJ100s and said he had no preference to the sound of either of them, as they both sounded good to him. 

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #801 of 2,344
Quote:

I preferred the Aviators to my DJ100. I preferred the sound, and found them MUCH more comfortable. And I don't think they are overpriced. I think they are worth what I paid for them, which was $150. I no longer have the Aviators though. I sold them to my brother when he was looking for headphones. He liked the style of them over the DJ100s and said he had no preference to the sound of either of them, as they both sounded good to him. 

If the DJ100s sound anything like the TBSE1s, then I wouldn't say the Aviators are worth $150. They sounded better, but not by that much. For me, the most noticeable difference was the soundstage. I also hadn't spent much time with them, as they weren't mine, so I only have a first impression.

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #802 of 2,344
Quote:
So including S&H The TBSE1's are $40 more than the DJ100's. Just wondering. how do the Shure 840's compare to the DJ100, if you've ever heard them.

Probably too late, but the SRH-840 is a decent alternative to the DJ100. Depends on which one has your favorite signature. I think the SRH-840 is warmer and definitely seems to have more mid-bass and less treble perhaps.

Based on memory the SRH-840 (I believe) has some forward upper mids and the DJ100 does too. Not sure which has the more forward upper mids.

What ruins the SRH-840 for me is that they're big, awkward and uncomfortable. After those I side-graded to the M50 and then settled on the DJ100. Been using the DJ100 as my primary closed headphone for maybe 2 years now. I'll been able to top that as a favorite eventually. I'm not in a hurry.

Maybe the Aviator or Philips Uptowns are better to my ears. But I doubt it. The uptown looks pretty nice, but I didn't like how it sounded when I demoed it recently. I refuse to buy a headphone with skulls on the side of it. No, i'm not even kidding. I don't care how small they are.

The Aviator looks goofy to me too. I've found that anything Tyll suggests i'll either love it or hate it. I bought the Beyer DJX-1 based on his suggestions and graphs and i'm glad I did. Too bad mine was broken and had issues.

BTW I heard the uptowns have quite a lot of treble, so that will be a plus for me. A tad less than what the KRKs offer is what I generally like. My HD-600 doesn't really have enough for me. Same with my Sextett.

One last thing..I wonder what the Vmoda M80 sounds like compared to the DJ100. Probably too bassy for me and with not enough treble.

My signature preferences is very slightly above neutral or neutral bass, slightly forward upper mids and smooth treble. I would say that the HD-580, DJ100, K240 Studio and HD-598 are what I like. Q701 is too, but it's totally not forgiving on garbage tracks due to it's treble.

I keep hoping someone can find me a headphone that's similar to the DJ100, but even better. No such luck yet. HM5 has been on the radar too. I'd prefer it keep it under $100. $150 might be OK.

I want a portable HD-580
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #803 of 2,344
Well, my girlfriend loves the DJ100! She says she likes the nice rich full sound. She likes it more than her Beyer DT 235, and she thinks it is more comfortable. Another headphone lost for me. Dang!

Aug 9, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #805 of 2,344
So let me get this straight... I'm sitting here considering M50s or a slightly modded Grado SR80i but instead the DJ100 is a contender for around $50?  I only have portables currently, PortaPros and PX 100-IIs. I like the sound of both but favor the PX100s and could do with a touch less bass.  And I can drive them with a Zune HD or modern iPod touch without an amp?  Amazing

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #806 of 2,344
Quote:
So let me get this straight... I'm sitting here considering M50s or a slightly modded Grado SR80i but instead the DJ100 is a contender for around $50?  I only have portables currently, PortaPros and PX 100-IIs. I like the sound of both but favor the PX100s and could do with a touch less bass.  And I can drive them with a Zune HD or modern iPod touch without an amp?  Amazing

PortaPro has some similarities to the DJ100. Actually the DJ100 is closer in sound to the KSC75 (but doesn't really sound like it). Both have a titanium driver (which supposedly is brighter). The PortaPro is maybe closer to the UR-55 (which is good, but a lot worse than the DJ100).

Someone here used a Zune HD with them and had no problems. They're OK with the Ipod Touch from what I remember. Adding in an E5/6 helps. I actually can even suggest them straight out of a Sansa Clip+. That's my favorite portable source for them.

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #807 of 2,344
Quote:

I really like Koss, but their plugs fuel the internal flames of my soul! God, those plugs suck!

You can always recable them or mod them to take detachable cables. I mean I had UR-40s that I loved to pieces, but the plug shorted on them, their fatal flaw was the plug, I want to mod them to take detachable cables one of these days.

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #810 of 2,344
Quote:
I actually think $50 is too low, but I guess it was smart of them to reduce the price when the Tony Bennett came out. Well, I think only Amazon reduced the price. Retail is still $80 I believe.

I see what you are saying about the price.  Amazon is the way to go right now, but I wouldn't be too upset if I paid retail.  Still sounds like an amazing deal.  Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back