Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Aug 5, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #781 of 2,344
Quote:

Trust me, if the Canadian customs gets wind of the value of this product, you will be paying tariffs regardless of whatever the seller claims. And yes, that $114 was exactly what I was talking about. The tariffs are already included in the final price, but not the listed price. I believe that is Amazon's official policy in compliance with Canadian law.

I've had $350 longboards go through customs without having to pay brokerage fees, albeit being sent with USPS and not UPS or the like. Amazon never did claim tariffs are exempt and that you wouldn't need to be paying it, just brokerage fees would be covered by the courier. Still, for $114, that still seems like a good deal considering you said that at your best buy, they were retail $150.

Edit: Okay back on topic here, with the DJ100's being around $75 including shipping and handling, is it worth the extra $40 to get the TBs? Is there any difference in sound quality, build quality, portability, ect.? I already like the TBs simply because of the removable cable.

Aug 5, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #782 of 2,344
Dudes from Canada you need to get off that Amazon.com crack pipe...

Koss Pro DJ100 at B&H right now are $50,(Shows $79.99 but MAP puts it at $50 in the cart)  Taxes, Shipping, Handling (90% of Headphones are Duty Free) $70 landed at my door here in NS.
Free Shipping for those in the US.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/858630-REG/Koss_PRODJ_100_PRODJ100_Full_Size_Headphones.html

Get em while they are hot!
biggrin.gif

Also TBSE1's are $79.95 in da cart as well!
beerchug.gif

Aug 5, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #783 of 2,344
Quote:
I've had $350 longboards go through customs without having to pay brokerage fees, albeit being sent with USPS and not UPS or the like. Amazon never did claim tariffs are exempt and that you wouldn't need to be paying it, just brokerage fees would be covered by the courier. Still, for $114, that still seems like a good deal considering you said that at your best buy, they were retail $150.

Edit: Okay back on topic here, with the DJ100's being around $75 including shipping and handling, is it worth the extra $40 to get the TBs? Is there any difference in sound quality, build quality, portability, ect.? I already like the TBs simply because of the removable cable.

Well, if you need a case, detachable cable and a free album, then it might be worth it. I think it is since I like making my own cables etc. Some don't like the silver logos on the cups. I don't mind.

The build quality is the same.

Sound is the same as far as I can tell. There is only one thing that MIGHT change the sound slightly. Inside the cups of my TB, there are a dozen holes behind the driver inside the cup. On the TB they go straight down to the metal cup. On the DJ100 they don't. I don't know why I mentioned this, but it could change the sound slightly. The TB does sound a bit clearer, but could be my imagination. Probably is. I'll buy another DJ100 for comparison when I have more money.

The stock DJ100 cable is really good BTW. The only improvement in a cable upgrade was with a Cardas cable and an ALO SXC cable I converted from my Q701. The GE Signature Pro from Target is nice and $9USD. Don't know if target exists in Canada.

Aug 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #784 of 2,344
Quote:

Well, if you need a case, detachable cable and a free album, then it might be worth it. I think it is since I like making my own cables etc. Some don't like the silver logos on the cups. I don't mind.

The build quality is the same.

Sound is the same as far as I can tell. There is only one thing that MIGHT change the sound slightly. Inside the cups of my TB, there are a dozen holes behind the driver inside the cup. On the TB they go straight down to the metal cup. On the DJ100 they don't. I don't know why I mentioned this, but it could change the sound slightly. The TB does sound a bit clearer, but could be my imagination. Probably is. I'll buy another DJ100 for comparison when I have more money.

The stock DJ100 cable is really good BTW. The only improvement in a cable upgrade was with a Cardas cable and an ALO SXC cable I converted from my Q701. The GE Signature Pro from Target is nice and $9USD. Don't know if target exists in Canada.

A case is always a nice thing to have, and I don't know what it is, but detachable cables just seem so much nicer to me. As for target, there is one currently in construction nearby but it probably won't be open for a while.

Aug 6, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #785 of 2,344
atl5 posted this almost a month ago: http://www.hookbag.ca/product/H3C06TPVK/

If you can get someone else to buy one shipping's free.

I've read about connection issues with the DJ100 cables, not to mention that they're bulky, so I guess your best bet is to follow TrollDragon's advice and order the TBSE1s from B&H.  but this deal is too good to pass up. At over $100 I'd contemplate other headphones.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #786 of 2,344
Quote:
atl5 posted this almost a month ago: http://www.hookbag.ca/product/H3C06TPVK/

If you can get someone else to buy one shipping's free.

I've read about connection issues with the DJ100 cables, not to mention that they're bulky, so I guess your best bet is to follow TrollDragon's advice and order the TBSE1s from B&H.  but this deal is too good to pass up. At over $100 I'd contemplate other headphones.

what deal? the DJ100's or the TBSE1s?

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #788 of 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll buy another DJ100 for comparison when I have more money.

I think Koss is going to make a fortune out of your money.

Aug 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #790 of 2,344
Quote:

Actually, I swear they made the DJ200 (TB) because of him and this thread!
biggrin.gif

Nope, actually I was a bit disappointed when I saw the DJ200 for sale. I was like ... why on earth do we need another DJ100 clone.
I guess maybe many people would love the idea of a mic and remote for the DJ100. No idea.

If Koss was smart they would try to release an ultra comfortable OPEN headphone that sounds almost the same as the DJ100.
I made an open DJ100 headphone myself and it's pretty impressive. Used the HD-497 shell, but it was hard to get right. I would prefer something larger, but not too larger. Similar in size to the HD-598.
I think Koss could made an open headphone that's even better than the 598 for half that price.

Hopefully they get the pads right. I know it costs more for better pads, but I'm sure people won't mind.

I think Koss doesn't like open headphones and I don't know if it's a good idea for them to release another non-portable headphone that's past the $100 mark.

They should look at the KRK and Philips Uptown pads for some ideas
normal_smile%20.gif

BTW one reason I'm a bigger fanboy of the DJ100 more than I should be is because I got to hear what the DJ100 driver is capable of when open. Pretty amazing how much you can change it's signature just with modifications and putting it in different shells.
So far i've put it into an HD-497 and XB500 shell. In the XB500 it has such bloated bass that the sound is ruined. Yes, from the DJ100 driver! It's all about those pads...

An open DJ100 sounds like a less warm HD-598 that's clearer and has more treble, but not too much more. I remember comparing them in gaming side by side and I was really impressed.
What's even more interesting is that the soundstage is actually just as large as the HD-598 when modded to be open. Yet, it was in a semi portable shell.

I'll admit i've probably destroyed at least 4 DJ100s by now. It's actually not easy.

Aug 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #791 of 2,344
Quote:
Nope, actually I was a bit disappointed when I saw the DJ200 for sale. I was like ... why on earth do we need another DJ100 clone.

Well, assuming they actually made a DJ200, and not a DJ101. (Looking it up, I'm surprised I didn't know the DJ200 and TB are actually two different headphones!)

See, that's just weird. I don't think Koss would suddenly release two slightly altered versions of a single, random headphone in their lineup. I still think this thread possibly had influence.

But what's unfortunate is that they didn't do anything to actually change it. Perhaps they didn't want to alter the popular stock sound. Dunno, I won't speculate too much.

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #792 of 2,344
So a few questions before a trigger pull on the TBs. 

Is the detachable cable just a standard 3.5mm jack? As in, can I use the cable I have at home that I like already? Or is it some stupid special jack? (ala HD598)

Other than that I know I love the DJ100. I recommend it all the time. I recently got the new Philips Uptown but I can't seem to get a comfortable (ear pad) fit to save my life. They're really comfortable but it's something about my ears.

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #793 of 2,344
Quote:
So a few questions before a trigger pull on the TBs. 

Is the detachable cable just a standard 3.5mm jack? As in, can I use the cable I have at home that I like already? Or is it some stupid special jack? (ala HD598)

Other than that I know I love the DJ100. I recommend it all the time. I recently got the new Philips Uptown but I can't seem to get a comfortable (ear pad) fit to save my life. They're really comfortable but it's something about my ears.

Yep, it's a male to male 3.5 mm cable.

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #794 of 2,344
Quote:

DJ100s. Even if you buy the TBSE1s from B&H I doubt you'll spend less than $100.

OMG Curiosity has landed on Mars. Just had to get this out.

You mentioned that there  would be better buys for around $100. Care to name some that have some of the features that the TBs have (foldable, comes with a case, detachable cables ect.)?

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #795 of 2,344
Quote:

Well, assuming they actually made a DJ200, and not a DJ101. (Looking it up, I'm surprised I didn't know the DJ200 and TB are actually two different headphones!)

See, that's just weird. I don't think Koss would suddenly release two slightly altered versions of a single, random headphone in their lineup. I still think this thread possibly had influence.

But what's unfortunate is that they didn't do anything to actually change it. Perhaps they didn't want to alter the popular stock sound. Dunno, I won't speculate too much.

Well, they do have the Porta Pro, the Porta Pro KTX, Sporta Pro, and the KSC 35.
They're doing the same thing with their new interlocking series. IL100k, IL100w, IL200k, IL200w... are all essentially the same headphones, by the look of it.
I have a feeling the UR 20s and the "Mossy Oak" KMO20g(s) are the same headphones, one with paint job, the other without. 

Oh, Koss..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back