Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Jul 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #661 of 2,344
Quote:
I recently sold my Koss Pro DJ 100s (my first real headphone) and bought the AKG K550. I would have kept the dj100s, but their poor comfort was a dealbreaker. On paper the k550s seemed like everything I ever wanted in a headphone. Additionally, about 1/3 of the music I listen to is classical, and I heard the k550s blow the stock dj100s out of the water in both soundstage and imaging. However, after a few days of using the k550s, I found some major issues (mainly the light clamp force, their massive size, lack of bass, and this one spot in the upper mids with ridiculous glare), and am almost certainly going to sell them. While everything on the k550s except bass presence and some treble sounds better than the pro100s to at least some degree, I find nothing except the soundstage, imaging, and comfort to truly be worth the extra money, and the problems that is has cancel out those benefits to make it just not a good match for me.

My main contenders to replace it are the dj100s + m50 pads, and the jaycars (hm5, fa-003 clones). Both come out to $70. I do not want to invest in an amp, but my sources are pretty good.

My first question: do the m50 pads significantly improve both the comfort and soundstage/imaging on the dj100? Those were the the two big issues I had with the stock dj100s. The k550 solved both of them with flying colors. I might be able to live with the dj100s even if they don't improve much for classical, as they were still okay before. However, comfort MUST improve significantly. The stock pads were much too shallow and not large enough for my ears.
Second: are the jaycars better than the dj pro100? I ask this in regards to comfort, isolation/leakage, and sound when both are unamped. Also, I found the bass on the pro100s to be almost perfect, how much less do these have?

I've got the DJ100 and HM5 right now. M50 pads are on the way. I'll update and compare the two once I get them.

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #662 of 2,344
Quote:
I recently sold my Koss Pro DJ 100s (my first real headphone) and bought the AKG K550. I would have kept the dj100s, but their poor comfort was a dealbreaker. On paper the k550s seemed like everything I ever wanted in a headphone. Additionally, about 1/3 of the music I listen to is classical, and I heard the k550s blow the stock dj100s out of the water in both soundstage and imaging. However, after a few days of using the k550s, I found some major issues (mainly the light clamp force, their massive size, lack of bass, and this one spot in the upper mids with ridiculous glare), and am almost certainly going to sell them. While everything on the k550s except bass presence and some treble sounds better than the pro100s to at least some degree, I find nothing except the soundstage, imaging, and comfort to truly be worth the extra money, and the problems that is has cancel out those benefits to make it just not a good match for me.

My main contenders to replace it are the dj100s + m50 pads, and the jaycars (hm5, fa-003 clones). Both come out to $70. I do not want to invest in an amp, but my sources are pretty good.

My first question: do the m50 pads significantly improve both the comfort and soundstage/imaging on the dj100? Those were the the two big issues I had with the stock dj100s. The k550 solved both of them with flying colors. I might be able to live with the dj100s even if they don't improve much for classical, as they were still okay before. However, comfort MUST improve significantly. The stock pads were much too shallow and not large enough for my ears.
Second: are the jaycars better than the dj pro100? I ask this in regards to comfort, isolation/leakage, and sound when both are unamped. Also, I found the bass on the pro100s to be almost perfect, how much less do these have?

I had the K550 for a day and disliked it so much that I returned it immediately. Biggest letdown of the year for me. Even the KRK KNS-8400 sounded much better and is even more clear. It just doesn't have the soundstage of the K550. I did like the bass of the K550, but for me the mids were rather too thin sounding. Maybe this was due to not even clamping force?

The M50 pads definitely do help with soundstage size and imaging. The second largest improvement in soundstage size was when I tried using the DJ100 with my HRT MSII DAC. Even the Fiio E9 helped. I don't know why or how, but the DJ100 sounds amazing with the E9. I should start using that combination more. M50 pads definitely do help with comfort and seem to add a tad more treble, but not enough to bother anyone.

For classical you could also try the KRK KNS-8400. That thing has memory foam pads and possibly a larger soundstage than the DJ100 when used with portable devices. It has a little more treble than the DJ100, but a little less bass. It's $150, but often found now for way less than that. The DJ100 now is only $45-50 and the M50 pads are $20.

Someday i'll try the HM5. I'm still trying to find something that can top my DJ100 as a favorite under $150 that's closed. KNS-8400 is as close as it gets. There's actually nothing i've heard that sounds like the DJ100. Closest i've come is a Sextett.

BTW The E5 is only $20 and totally worth it for the DJ100. The DJ100 doesn't really require an expensive amp. I bet you can find a used E5 for under $15.

Jul 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #663 of 2,344
Thanks for the input tdockweiler. Sounds like the DJ100 beats the KNS 8400 for me due to price alone. I now eagerly await Katun's comparison of the DJ100 with the HM5/jaycar. As far as I am aware, his will be the first real comparison between the two, and should be very helpful to alot of people since, thanks to jaycar, the two are now in the same price range. 

On a side note, i've been reading up on the HD598, and it sounds perfect for me except for the fact that its open. If only there were a closed version of the HD598...

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #665 of 2,344
Quote:
Just confirmed the HM5 pads fit. I'll upload some pics as soon as my camera charges for a bit longer.

Impressions soon to come.

I am excited :)

Because I couldn't order M50 pads from Amazon while purchasing DJ100's (I think they were out of stock).

And I have ordered HM5 earpads from mp4nation. Including shipping to Turkey they were cheaper than M50 pads and seems more comfortable and deeper.

Even if they are not a good match with DJ100, I can always use HM5 earpads for my T50RP's though...

Looking forward for your impressions.

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #666 of 2,344
Quote:

For me the M50 pads provide a world of difference in terms of comfort.  I have not done any test with regard to their impact on the sound.

I have the HM5 and am generally unimpressed with them in the context of the their reviews--at least through early this year.  Although it's close, I'd go with the Koss--even before adding the M50 pads.

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #667 of 2,344

First, I apologize for the picture quality. Had to resort to flash, and upped the lighting a tad in Picasa.

DJ100 (HM5) vs HM5

Wow! Very similar sounding. Bass is pretty close but the DJ100 has a little more. Midrange is nearly the same. Treble is probably the most immediate difference. It sounds slightly harsher and more present on the HM5, while the DJ100 is smoother and more in line with everything else. But there seems to be a minor hole somewhere in the DJ100's treble (lower maybe?) But still, the DJ100 sound more natural and balanced (at least to my ear) than the HM5 with it's bright(er) treble. The absolute biggest difference though is soundstage/presentation. The DJ100 has a very typical (and good at that) center image. Putting on the HM5 immediately reveals the sound is MUCH more tethered to the L and R channels, giving a very unnatural presentation. Although it gives the impression of quite a big soundstage. Overall between these two configurations, I vastly prefer the DJ100 over the HM5, although I still like the HM5.

Also, the DJ100 with HM5 pads is literally one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. The HM5 has much more clamp in comparison, even when stretched. DJ100 is also lighter.

DJ100 (stock) vs HM5

The differences are easily apparent here. Bass wise, both are close, but DJ100 has a little more presence. Just a little. It also has much better extension, as the HM5 bottoms out sooner. Pretty apparent. Midrange, both are somewhat similar, but the DJ100 is easily more forward in this regard. HM5 is no slouch though, but DJ100 sounds a more natural and realistic in the vocals. Treble wise, it's a bit more confusing. I believe I'm hearing close to the same, but the DJ100 has a little less than the HM5 (which isn't a bad thing), as switching to the HM5 doesn't seem as bright and weird as it did before with the HM5 padded DJ100. Overall presentation the DJ100 is definitely more forward and direct sounding than the more laid back HM5. This time, the HM5 sounds more natural and even across the board, but the DJ100 has attributes I like more (better bass extension, better upper midrange, more forward, etc). Overall, I'd still take the DJ100 over the HM5.

Comfort goes to the HM5 now. I really, really don't like the DJ100 stock pads. Quite uncomfortable. But the clamping force is lighter on the DJ100, which helps a bit. But still, just no.

Overall: DJ100 stock vs HM5 pads

If I had to pick a pad to live with, I'd take the HM5 pads for comfort alone. Assuming my head was invincible to pain, it would be a bit tougher choice. I think both renditions sound good. Stock, I really like the forward sound in general. Vocalists sound better, the bass has better control and extension, and the sound is more direct. But, switching to the HM5 pads kind of irons out the rough edges, and smoothens things a bit. While it sounds a bit more balanced, I can't say it sounds more natural. The tonality does change, but I haven't decided if it's for the better or worse; perhaps a side step. The sound is definitely more laid back (seemingly a bit recessed most noticeably in the upper mids) and a bit more muffled overall, but it's easier to listen to and by no means sounds bad in comparison. I could easily see some liking the sound of the HM5 pads better, while some would prefer the sound of stock. I'm hoping when my M50 pads arrive, it will bridge the gap between these two sounds. But in general, I'd take the DJ100 stock sound wise over the DJ100 with HM5 pads, but I could be happy with either. But since comfort is such a huge factor, I couldn't be happy with the stock pads for too long, unfortunately.

*E10 was used during this comparison. Both headphones had very little burn in.*

Jul 15, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #668 of 2,344
Quote:

First, I apologize for the picture quality. Had to resort to flash, and upped the lighting a tad in Picasa.

DJ100 (HM5) vs HM5

Wow! Very similar sounding. Bass is pretty close but the DJ100 has a little more. Midrange is nearly the same. Treble is probably the most immediate difference. It sounds slightly harsher and more present on the HM5, while the DJ100 is smoother and more in line with everything else. But there seems to be a minor hole somewhere in the DJ100's treble (lower maybe?) But still, the DJ100 sound more natural and balanced (at least to my ear) than the HM5 with it's bright(er) treble. The absolute biggest difference though is soundstage/presentation. The DJ100 has a very typical (and good at that) center image. Putting on the HM5 immediately reveals the sound is MUCH more tethered to the L and R channels, giving a very unnatural presentation. Although it gives the impression of quite a big soundstage. Overall between these two configurations, I vastly prefer the DJ100 over the HM5, although I still like the HM5.

Also, the DJ100 with HM5 pads is literally one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. The HM5 has much more clamp in comparison, even when stretched. DJ100 is also lighter.

DJ100 (stock) vs HM5

The differences are easily apparent here. Bass wise, both are close, but DJ100 has a little more presence. Just a little. It also has much better extension, as the HM5 bottoms out sooner. Pretty apparent. Midrange, both are somewhat similar, but the DJ100 is easily more forward in this regard. HM5 is no slouch though, but DJ100 sounds a more natural and realistic in the vocals. Treble wise, it's a bit more confusing. I believe I'm hearing close to the same, but the DJ100 has a little less than the HM5 (which isn't a bad thing), as switching to the HM5 doesn't seem as bright and weird as it did before with the HM5 padded DJ100. Overall presentation the DJ100 is definitely more forward and direct sounding than the more laid back HM5. This time, the HM5 sounds more natural and even across the board, but the DJ100 has attributes I like more (better bass extension, better upper midrange, more forward, etc). Overall, I'd still take the DJ100 over the HM5.

Comfort goes to the HM5 now. I really, really don't like the DJ100 stock pads. Quite uncomfortable. But the clamping force is lighter on the DJ100, which helps a bit. But still, just no.

Overall: DJ100 stock vs HM5 pads

If I had to pick a pad to live with, I'd take the HM5 pads for comfort alone. Assuming my head was invincible to pain, it would be a bit tougher choice. I think both renditions sound good. Stock, I really like the forward sound in general. Vocalists sound better, the bass has better control and extension, and the sound is more direct. But, switching to the HM5 pads kind of irons out the rough edges, and smoothens things a bit. While it sounds a bit more balanced, I can't say it sounds more natural. The tonality does change, but I haven't decided if it's for the better or worse; perhaps a side step. The sound is definitely more laid back (seemingly a bit recessed most noticeably in the upper mids) and a bit more muffled overall, but it's easier to listen to and by no means sounds bad in comparison. I could easily see some liking the sound of the HM5 pads better, while some would prefer the sound of stock. I'm hoping when my M50 pads arrive, it will bridge the gap between these two sounds. But in general, I'd take the DJ100 stock sound wise over the DJ100 with HM5 pads, but I could be happy with either. But since comfort is such a huge factor, I couldn't be happy with the stock pads for too long, unfortunately.

*E10 was used during this comparison. Both headphones had very little burn in.*

Thanks for the comparison. I wonder if replacement HM5 pads can be easily purchased online. Probably not.
One thing i've found is that different pads on the DJ100 can dramatically change the sound.

For example with SRH-840 pads it makes them have waaaay too much treble. DT-250 pads make them really sound harsh and have fatiguing mids. V6 pads are good, but possibly reduce the treble and add a little more bass.
SRH-1840 pads made the bass (obviously) go out the window. M50 pads seem to be the best but unfortunately they do get hard after maybe 6 months.

What I want is memory foam pads for my DJ100! Maybe someday...

Sometime i'll have to try the Pro700 MKII pads on the DJ100. They're round and not oval like the M50 pads.

It seems that the more air you have between your ears and the pad, the more treble you get. Not always, but that's been my experience. I think this is why the oval M50 pads work best.

I've tried modding the SRH-1840 and DT-250 pads but never had any luck. I've heard the SRH-940 pads are different than the 1840 pads, so i'll have to try them. They might be a bit too loose though.

Jul 15, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #669 of 2,344
Quote:
Thanks for the comparison. I wonder if replacement HM5 pads can be easily purchased online. Probably not.
One thing i've found is that different pads on the DJ100 can dramatically change the sound.

For example with SRH-840 pads it makes them have waaaay too much treble. DT-250 pads make them really sound harsh and have fatiguing mids. V6 pads are good, but possibly reduce the treble and add a little more bass.
SRH-1840 pads made the bass (obviously) go out the window. M50 pads seem to be the best but unfortunately they do get hard after maybe 6 months.

What I want is memory foam pads for my DJ100! Maybe someday...

Sometime i'll have to try the Pro700 MKII pads on the DJ100. They're round and not oval like the M50 pads.

It seems that the more air you have between your ears and the pad, the more treble you get. Not always, but that's been my experience. I think this is why the oval M50 pads work best.

I've tried modding the SRH-1840 and DT-250 pads but never had any luck. I've heard the SRH-940 pads are different than the 1840 pads, so i'll have to try them. They might be a bit too loose though.

I was curious how they'd react to the SRH1840's velour pads, so thanks for getting that out of the way.

Not sure if the MKII pads would be all that much different than stock. They are pretty small. About the same size or smaller than the DJ100 pads.

Have you tried the KRK 8400 pads on them yet? I'd think they would fit. Nicest memory foam pads ever.

EDIT: Never mind about the 8400 pads. Forgot they had those stupid little tabs.

Quote:

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc

Jul 16, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #672 of 2,344
Quote:

Yes, very much so. It's a bit difficult to get them on, though.

Dear Katun,

Thanks for sharing your impressions.

My HM5 earpads and DJ100's are on the way. I have 2 different AKG K340 pleather earpads. I will also try them. I will inform.

Jul 16, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #673 of 2,344
I bought the DJ100 and MDR-V6 at the same time and I loved both but the V6's sounded better because of the bass so I returned the DJ100. I really love the DJ100 and I think I will buy them again if they ever go on sale for maybe $35, and buy an amp. The sound stage is amazing and I used them unamped. What are some amps you can recommend for under $50? 

EDIT:

Also, I thought the DJ100 was a little more harsh than the V6's (unamped), with an amp that would that fix it?

Jul 16, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #674 of 2,344
Quote:
I bought the DJ100 and MDR-V6 at the same time and I loved both but the V6's sounded better because of the bass so I returned the DJ100. I really love the DJ100 and I think I will buy them again if they ever go on sale for maybe $35, and buy an amp. The sound stage is amazing and I used them unamped. What are some amps you can recommend for under $50? 

EDIT:

Also, I thought the DJ100 was a little more harsh than the V6's (unamped), with an amp that would that fix it?

The V6 definitely has more mid-bass to my ears. I think the DJ100 has better low bass extension.

The DJ100 can be harsh for some that are sensitive to forward mids. They smooth out a lot with an amp. The mids are less forward with M50 pads, but not by much.
I can't imagine the DJ100's treble bothering anyone, but I guess it's possible
biggrin.gif

The E5 is nice for the DJ100, but I don't think it helps the bass much. The E11 is OK, but probably hard to find under $50.

I actually think the V6 has more treble than the DJ100...

Jul 16, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #675 of 2,344
I bought the DJ100 and V6 at the same time too. Still have both but I prefer the V6. My Dj100 has a hole in the upper midrange that doesn't fit my preference. I've tried running it through my MacBook and FIIO E17. The bass sounds almost perfect but the upper end is just too laid back for me.  It makes the headphone sound distant I guess. I don't see how the Dj100 could ever be harsh to anyone. Maybe slightly grainy though. Then again maybe I'm the only person who thinks grain and harsh are different.

I think the V6 has more treble too. 

btw First post but I've been lurking for a little while.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back