Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
May 22, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #511 of 2,344
what about the Koss Pro DJ200? Any reviews on that yet (search didn't show any)?

looks identical to the Pro DJ100, but has 2 detachable cables (one with "i" touch control) and a case.
pretty much the same package as the Tony Bennett, minus the "i" controls.

edit: http://www.koss.com/en/products/headphones/full_size_headphones/PRODJ200__PRODJ200_Full_Size_Headphones

May 22, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #512 of 2,344
Quote:
what about the Koss Pro DJ200? Any reviews on that yet (search didn't show any)?

looks identical to the Pro DJ100, but has 2 detachable cables (one with "i" touch control) and a case.
pretty much the same package as the Tony Bennett, minus the "i" controls.

edit: http://www.koss.com/en/products/headphones/full_size_headphones/PRODJ200__PRODJ200_Full_Size_Headphones

It is essentially identical to the 100 (minus the features and extras), as is the TB.

May 22, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #513 of 2,344
I have a guy who wants to trade me his Tony Bennetts for a set of IEMs I have. I am going to go for it, based on what I have read here. It will give my newly purchased SR80i a much needed break.

May 23, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #514 of 2,344
Quote:
Gotta love the reviews on Amazon of these. 75% of them say they don't have enough bass. I think people must be trained to want and expect bloated and booming bass. Maybe some sort of huge mid-bass hump that sticks out and draws attention to itself.
The bass on these is one of the most impressive things on these headphones. There's sub-bass that none of my other headphones can't pick up as well. Not even my HD-600, Q701, Sextett or KRKs. Not bad for a $55 headphone. Believe it or not the "bass-light" KRK KNS-8400 can pick up some sub-bass that the other can't except for the DJ100. I'd say it's VERY slightly above neutral. I'm glad it has no annoying mid-bass hump like found on the MDR-V6.

Then there are those who claim they have poor build quality but have had them for 2 days. I think you can drive over these with a tank and they would survive. Sure there is some plastic on it, but if something breaks it has a lifetime warranty...on a $55 headphone. Please tell me what other company has this and makes a $55 headphone out of THICK aluminum.
normal_smile%20.gif

I can just picture the guys at Koss when they read all those reviews on Amazon about "no bass":

I guess if they want more (NOT better) bass they can try the UR-55 or UR-20. UR-55 sounds similar to the Porta Pro and is quite good. Not nearly as clear as the DJ100 though.

Sorry, had to vent there
normal_smile%20.gif
Now off to test my TB with my new CD player.

I fully agree, I am listening to CBC Radio 3 Jazz Songbook with my TB`s through my Bravo Ocean amp and I can hear the Bass line loudly and clearly. There is more than enough bass.

I am an aging boomer. My father was a WW2 vet who worked as an engineer in consumer electronics for Philco.

I remember at times him (and my uncles etc) thinking my new stereo back in the 70`s had too many mids and highs.

I finally came to the conclusion that their generation was introduced to music through Wurlizter Jukeboxes etc, and associated an over booming bass beat as necessary for good sound. 

It is probably similar for many people today, who listen to beat oriented music.

I am continually thrilled with my TB`s  which I purchased for $41 on eBay. I bought these as an entry back into audiophile headphones and thought I would use them for a few months and then upgrade. I am not sure about that anymore, because they sound so good.

May 25, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #515 of 2,344
I had to order another pair of DJ100 because they were only 38.

http://slickdeals.net/f/4640292-WWS-Koss-PRO-DJ-100-Professional-DJ-Stereo-Headphones-38-w-FS-AC?p=50499930&utm_source=dealalerts&utm_medium=em-i&utm_term=1445&utm_content=u63325&utm_campaign=tu-9999#post50499930

May 25, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #517 of 2,344
May 25, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #519 of 2,344
Hehe, a couple of us are here because of the $38 deal.  My impression from reading the threads is that they indeed will need an amp to sound good.  Over at amazon, tdockweiler's review recommends the Fiio E11 amp which cost about $63 which is quite pricey for anyone that's not looking to spend that much.

I'm running the Asus Xonar DG sound card that has a dedicated amp.  It sounds nice on my Aurvana Live! but I am wondering whether it will drive these DJ100 to their potential.  Anyone have idea if it's enough to drive the DJ100? The sound card has three gain settings. <32ohms, 32-64 ohms, and >64 ohms.  The <32 ohm setting is enough to drive my Aurvanas but I already know these don't require much power at all; even my sony e-series mp3 player can drive them well.

At this price, im just too curious as how these sound...especially since a lot of the music I listen to have female vocals (which according to op tdock, shines on). 

ahhhhhh, should I get them?????? not really looking to spending $60 on an amp just to make them shine.

May 25, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #520 of 2,344
Quote:
Hehe, a couple of us are here because of the $38 deal.  My impression from reading the threads is that they indeed will need an amp to sound good.  Over at amazon, tdockweiler's review recommends the Fiio E11 amp which cost about $63 which is quite pricey for anyone that's not looking to spend that much.

I'm running the Asus Xonar DG sound card that has a dedicated amp.  It sounds nice on my Aurvana Live! but I am wondering whether it will drive these DJ100 to their potential.  Anyone have idea if it's enough to drive the DJ100? The sound card has three gain settings. <32ohms, 32-64 ohms, and >64 ohms.  The <32 ohm setting is enough to drive my Aurvanas but I already know these don't require much power at all; even my sony e-series mp3 player can drive them well.

At this price, im just too curious as how these sound...especially since a lot of the music I listen to have female vocals (which according to op tdock, shines on). 

ahhhhhh, should I get them?????? not really looking to spending $60 on an amp just to make them shine.

For the amount you would have to pay to get an amp + the headphone itself, you can probably just spend that and get a better pair all together. $38 would probably be a great deal for those who already have an amp but if you have to buy two together then maybe it's not worth it?

May 25, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #521 of 2,344
Quote:

For the amount you would have to pay to get an amp + the headphone itself, you can probably just spend that and get a better pair all together. $38 would probably be a great deal for those who already have an amp but if you have to buy two together then maybe it's not worth it?

I'm already quite satisfied with my Live!, I'm just looking for a different sound signature. Yup, not really looking to spend $100 plus on another set of cans.

May 25, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #523 of 2,344
Hi guys, I'm from Malaysia (South East Asia), and its hard for me to get a Koss headphone over here. 

I got very tempted by the 38USD deal, but at the same time I'm actually waiting for Koss Pro DJ 200. (Due to its portability of detachable cable and controls.)

So the question is, has anyone attempted or going to carry out a mod on their Pro DJ 100 to make it having a detachable cable? 

I hope that you pros here can really make a tutorial out of it. :D

May 25, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #524 of 2,344
Quote:

It still is. And an amp can be used for any future headphones also, so it's totally worth the investment. An amp isn't 100% required from some portables, but it just makes them so much better. Even the E5 for $25 is enough.
I actually have yet to find any closed headphone under $200 that sounds better to my ears yet. Not the KRKs, CAL!, M50, SRH-840/940, D2000 or whatever else. I'm hoping to find one that tops my TB/DJ100 as MY favorite closed headphone. I think it can be done.
The AKG K240 Sextett is slowly gaining ground but that is semi-open. The DJ100 has a similar signature in many ways (but better bass) and doesn't require a full desktop amp.

BTW I've noticed my local Best Buy now carries nearly half a dozen Koss headphones! Saw the Pro3AA, UR40, DJ200 and DJ100 in stock. I guess that's good news. They even had all those Pioneer DJ headphones. Wow that HDJ-2000 sure is expensive. I need to hear that sometime.

With my Micro Amp and HRT MSII sometimes I swear i'm listening to some $300 closed headphone
normal_smile%20.gif
I know you must think i'm nuts, but you'd have to try a similar setup to know what I mean. I wonder if the M-Stage + HRT MSII has good synergy with the DJ100? Many people already have very good setups, so the DJ100 would be worth a try for them.

May 25, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #525 of 2,344
Hmmm, you rate it better then D2K??

[size=medium]I love D2K for subbass use them for electro gens and jump to HD598 for vocals.[/size]
[size=medium]Will I benefit from DJ100 given that I have D2K and HD598 with E17?[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back