Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Mar 13, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #256 of 2,344

Quote:
Just got a new pair, first set of entry-level audiophile headphones.  They sound really weak driven out of my laptop (using 16bit/44kHz FLAC).  I'll be receiving a JDS Labs C421 and purchasing a silver wire triple braided LOD.  I'll see how it sounds then.  

From my iPhone 3G, it sounds a lot more spacious with notes like the piano being very distinct.  They're not terrible and contrary to the OP, there is no heavy bass or even a lot (although it is muddy) and this is coming from someone who enjoys ballad, classical, jazz, etc.  (non bass heavy music)  However, this could be due to the lack of an amplifier.

How do I take off the earpads?

The DJ100 is not a headphone people should judge right out of the box. If there is a lack of clarity or the bass is muddy, it needs some use to break itself in. Could be due to the Titanium driver. This is basically what I've experienced in the past.
I don't believe I ever said they're bass heavy. Mostly one step under being bass heavy. A fairly large one. If you take the foam backing off the white boxed M50, it's about 5% less bass (just a guess), but less mid-bass.
If anything, when straight out of the box or severely under-amped, the bass can be bloated and just really sloppy. It's very accurate and controlled bass and not going to magically make any music different than it should be.
If the bass sounds bad it's usually due to lack of power. With my DAC and amps the bass is really impressive for an $80 headphone.

What's funny about the DJ100 is that it sounds like it has less bass than the V6, but the V6 has really bloated mid-bass that draws attention to itself. The bass quantity of my DJ100 is similar to the HD-580 (which has more than the HD-600), but without the extra mid-bass.

The bass of the DJ100 should never ever EVER be muddy. If it is, then that's due to something else going on. I'd give them a good week of use.

For the pads, you just pull on the edges and they pop right off. To put them back on, just hold them in place and work your way around to shove the edge into the cracks.

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #257 of 2,344
I got my v6s and popped them on, although I have a little question, I currently have them in their normal earpad shape (oval) however the elasticy material that keeps it in place is being stretched a little on the two sides, should I keep it this way, keeping the normal oval shape or should I stretch it into a circle shape similar to the original pads?

Picture below is the unstretched version, in the normal v6 pad shape.

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #258 of 2,344
Oval shape is perfectly fine and doesn't seem to effect the sound in any way. The M50 pads are also oval, but work very well with the M50.

The only round pads that fit seem to be the JVC RX300 and Pro700 pads. Never tried the Pro700 pads since I haven't found a source for them yet.

Quote:
I got my v6s and popped them on, although I have a little question, I currently have them in their normal earpad shape (oval) however the elasticy material that keeps it in place is being stretched a little on the two sides, should I keep it this way, keeping the normal oval shape or should I stretch it into a circle shape similar to the original pads?

Picture below is the unstretched version, in the normal v6 pad shape.

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #259 of 2,344
I see, perfect then, they really are a lot more comfortable than the stock pads, I have noticed a slight bass bump and the soundstage (prior you saying only the M50 pads have an increase in soundstage) is a little wider.
I'll keep the oval shape, I have the back of my ear tucked into the oval pad, front of the pad not touching my ear at all, much better than the rounded pads.

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #261 of 2,344

Quote:
The Tony Bennett's are now down to $79 at Amazon (third party seller).

The 100's are less than a few bucks cheaper.

Need to resist..that's a steal if you need the case and removable cables. Pretty sure it comes with both a straight and coiled cable.
Hopefully Koss didn't do something stupid and make it a proprietary connection. I don't think they'd do that.

Based on the pictures, it looks as if that case is made specifically for Koss headphones such as the Pro4AAT and DJ100.
I think Koss would have an even better headphone if they improved the pads slightly. Memory foam type material like found on the KRK KNS-8400 would be amazing.
Could even have it as an upgrade option. Someday I should try and make some pads. Not even good at sewing buttons, so I probably wouldn't get very far!

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #262 of 2,344
Been listening to these again for the last 4 hours. Still not convinced they're at their full potential without a good amp and DAC.
Was listening straight from my old Ipod Classic 3G (amazing DAC) and it just didn't do much for me this time around. Stopped after 10 minutes. Even when using a LOD cable to both my desktop amps.
Switched to my HRT Music Streamer II and only then did they WOW me. Similar results with other DACs. I guess with the DJ100, a good computer DAC is more important perhaps.

I've been thinking and I wonder how different or better they'd sound with a very expensive amp and DAC. Highly unlikely a $80 headphone would scale up that much, but it'd be interesting to know what kind of potential these have. I've noticed that it's easy for me to tell the difference when switching amps/dacs and even cables with the DJ100. Yeah on such a cheap headphone.

I want to try a hybrid cheap tube amp for some of my headphones. I bet the DJ100 might sound good from one. There's the Hifiman EF2a and LD I+

Right now with my Headroom Micro Amp and HRT MSII they're pretty impressive. Basically with this setup, they're crystal clear and definitely close to being a (cheap) detail monster. They're smooth sounding and un-fatiguing and even garbage tracks won't really bother me all that much. I don't mean bitrate. Sure, they still sound bad, but not as much as on the Q701 or my KRKs.

I think the Micro Amp is a hidden gem. Not many people seem to have heard it. It seems like when I switch from the Micro Amp to the E9, there's a definitely loss of detail. Despite the 10 ohm output on the E9, the DJ100's signature doesn't change or sound screwy. Nothing has sounded bad from this amp yet.

Right now with my HRT and Micro Amp the soundstage (with the right songs) sounds like a semi-open headphone. This one is recabled with a Belden wire and I have applied a single circle of cotton fabric around the back of the driver and near all the fabric covered holes. It's the type found in the makeup section. Very thin.

I noticed something bizarre after I recabled my headphone. I had all this extra resonance on my DJ100. Sort of had this weird tin can like effect. I think there's a technical reason behind this, but i'm not sure. The cotton seems to cut it down.

The wire I'm using is the same stuff I use on my HD-598 and Q701. Doesn't change a thing, but a little clearer and more detailed from what I can tell.

You know, it's funny that I actually think the DJ100 (with M50 pads) is better than the HD-600/580, but only with a desktop amp/dac. Don't expect anyone to agree with me.

I really need to compare it to my KNS-8400 some more. Both seems to really benefit from a good amp/dac. More so than my HD-598.

BTW it makes me wonder why I have so many stupid headphones. Feel like I could be perfectly happy with just this and maybe the HD-598/Q701.

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #263 of 2,344

Quote:
Been listening to these again for the last 4 hours. Still not convinced they're at their full potential without a good amp and DAC.
Was listening straight from my old Ipod Classic 3G (amazing DAC) and it just didn't do much for me this time around. Stopped after 10 minutes. Even when using a LOD cable to both my desktop amps.
Switched to my HRT Music Streamer II and only then did they WOW me. Similar results with other DACs. I guess with the DJ100, a good computer DAC is more important perhaps.

I've been thinking and I wonder how different or better they'd sound with a very expensive amp and DAC. Highly unlikely a $80 headphone would scale up that much, but it'd be interesting to know what kind of potential these have. I've noticed that it's easy for me to tell the difference when switching amps/dacs and even cables with the DJ100. Yeah on such a cheap headphone.

I want to try a hybrid cheap tube amp for some of my headphones. I bet the DJ100 might sound good from one. There's the Hifiman EF2a and LD I+

Right now with my Headroom Micro Amp and HRT MSII they're pretty impressive. Basically with this setup, they're crystal clear and definitely close to being a (cheap) detail monster. They're smooth sounding and un-fatiguing and even garbage tracks won't really bother me all that much. I don't mean bitrate. Sure, they still sound bad, but not as much as on the Q701 or my KRKs.

I think the Micro Amp is a hidden gem. Not many people seem to have heard it. It seems like when I switch from the Micro Amp to the E9, there's a definitely loss of detail. Despite the 10 ohm output on the E9, the DJ100's signature doesn't change or sound screwy. Nothing has sounded bad from this amp yet.

Right now with my HRT and Micro Amp the soundstage (with the right songs) sounds like a semi-open headphone. This one is recabled with a Belden wire and I have applied a single circle of cotton fabric around the back of the driver and near all the fabric covered holes. It's the type found in the makeup section. Very thin.

I noticed something bizarre after I recabled my headphone. I had all this extra resonance on my DJ100. Sort of had this weird tin can like effect. I think there's a technical reason behind this, but i'm not sure. The cotton seems to cut it down.

The wire I'm using is the same stuff I use on my HD-598 and Q701. Doesn't change a thing, but a little clearer and more detailed from what I can tell.

You know, it's funny that I actually think the DJ100 (with M50 pads) is better than the HD-600/580, but only with a desktop amp/dac. Don't expect anyone to agree with me.

I really need to compare it to my KNS-8400 some more. Both seems to really benefit from a good amp/dac. More so than my HD-598.

BTW it makes me wonder why I have so many stupid headphones. Feel like I could be perfectly happy with just this and maybe the HD-598/Q701.

I have a (very new) Hifiman EF2a and the TB Sig. on the way.  After some break in, I'll pair them and see how they sound together.

Isn't the HeadRoom Micro Amp a $350 ish amp?  If so that puts it at more that double my EF2a and well above the Matrix M-Stage & Shiit Asgard and even with the Schiit Valhalla.

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #264 of 2,344

Quote:
I have a (very new) Hifiman EF2a and the TB Sig. on the way.  After some break in, I'll pair them and see how they sound together.

Isn't the HeadRoom Micro Amp a $350 ish amp?  If so that puts it at more that double my EF2a and well above the Matrix M-Stage & Shiit Asgard and even with the Schiit Valhalla.

I might try the EF2a if you think it sounds good with the DJ100. There's a guy on Youtube that has it and described the DJ100 almost exactly how I do. Maybe we have similar hearing or sound signature preferences!
EF2a might also be able to drive the Q701 well enough. I haven't checked into it yet. It costs a little more than the LD I+, but should be worth it.

The Micro Amp was around $330. I had planned to give it the 30 day trial and return it if it didn't wow me, but I kept it. It's amazing with the Q701 and was an upgrade from my Asgard. Kind of like an E9 on steroids and it's nearly half the size!
Uses some of the same op-amps found in the M-Stage, so one day i'll give it a good comparison to that. There's one person out there that had both, but not many other reviews.

I bet the EF2a might sound amazing with the Grado SR-225i also..

Mar 26, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #265 of 2,344

Quote:
I might try the EF2a if you think it sounds good with the DJ100. There's a guy on Youtube that has it and described the DJ100 almost exactly how I do. Maybe we have similar hearing or sound signature preferences!
EF2a might also be able to drive the Q701 well enough. I haven't checked into it yet. It costs a little more than the LD I+, but should be worth it.

The Micro Amp was around $330. I had planned to give it the 30 day trial and return it if it didn't wow me, but I kept it. It's amazing with the Q701 and was an upgrade from my Asgard. Kind of like an E9 on steroids and it's nearly half the size!
Uses some of the same op-amps found in the M-Stage, so one day i'll give it a good comparison to that. There's one person out there that had both, but not many other reviews.

I bet the EF2a might sound amazing with the Grado SR-225i also..

The EF2a, with just 3-5 hours of use, worked well with the Q701 and made my Denon AH-D7000 sing--greatly expanding its sound stage and increasing the clarity to hear individual instruments on a well recorded CDs.  It is too bright for my Grado SR325is.  The Shure SRH940 sounds better coming directly out of the headphone jack of my Yamaha RX A-800 receiver than from the EF2a.  In all cases I was using a fairly cheap portable CD player connected to the EF2a.

The little EF2a has plenty of power.  Even the Q701 is too loud for listening before the volume dial gets to 10 o'clock. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #266 of 2,344
  I think the DJ"s require an amp of some kind  but if you get the right equipment behind them they are amazing .  I mainly use them on a normal stereo receiver and a 12 band equalizer.  They have real good punch and the mid and high end just sounds amazing .  Just got a new Audio Technica needle  for the turntable and  vinyl  just sounds awesome now .   Was listening to America's first album last night  and you just hear every single note of the acoustic guitar and their fingers as they slide up and down the frets just amazing. Thanks to Verne  :)  for turning me onto these bad boys... 
atsmile.gif

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #267 of 2,344

Quote:
The EF2a, with just 3-5 hours of use, worked well with the Q701 and made my Denon AH-D7000 sing--greatly expanding its sound stage and increasing the clarity to hear individual instruments on a well recorded CDs.  It is too bright for my Grado SR325is.  The Shure SRH940 sounds better coming directly out of the headphone jack of my Yamaha RX A-800 receiver than from the EF2a.  In all cases I was using a fairly cheap portable CD player connected to the EF2a.

The little EF2a has plenty of power.  Even the Q701 is too loud for listening before the volume dial gets to 10 o'clock. 

I heard the EF2a greatly improves after use. I don't know if I believe in amp burn-in, but there's a review of it on Youtube that says it got better after a few hours. Saw the review here:
(comments on burn-in at 5:20)

BTW it's interesting that on the Koss website they have it pictured next to a tube amp. Maybe they're trying to tell us something
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #268 of 2,344
Thanks--I had heard about the same thing about burn in time for the amp.

One thing I notes is the the reviewer spoke of 9 o'clock at what my clocks have always said is 3 o'clock, but I guess for him (and maybe others "0" volume on the amp is straight up 12 and he moves to 1,2,3, etc. from there.

In addition this video is an excellent introduction to headphone amps for the newbee!

Mar 27, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #269 of 2,344
After reading this thread, I decided to head to Best Buy and pick one of these up.

Straight out of the box, with no burn in, all I can say is, "Holy crap!" These are some amazingly good cans. I'm looking forward to these burning in and seeing what they can blossom in to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back