Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Jun 9, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #2,209 of 2,344
Superlux Canadian Distributor
www.pawmusic.com/collections/headphones?page=1

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #2,210 of 2,344
My DJ100 was for sale for nearly 1 year and nobody bought it. So I have removed it from its original packing and gave it another chance. Glad that I did
smily_headphones1.gif
I have burned in the DJ100 for 3 days and also bought the M50 pads. Although my M50 pads are 5USD non-original pads, they improved the sound and comfort very well. It would be a very big mistake if I sold them. They are keepers
smily_headphones1.gif
now I have to recable them. I had some SPC, Canare and Mogami wires... Which one would suit well? Also they sound fabulous out of a Meizu M3.

Would you happen to have a link for them? Thanks.

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #2,211 of 2,344

Would you happen to have a link for them? Thanks.

Link: http://www.suntekstore.com/goods-14008933-a_pair_of_black_replacement_ear_pads_for_audio_technica_ath-m50_m50s_m20_m30_m40_ath-sx1_headphone.html

But I have to warn: these are not original M50 pads but they are very good quality knock-offs. One drawback is the thickness of the foam inside these pads. Although they are thicker than DJ100 pads they are thinner than original M50 pads so you have to stuff some foams inside (underneath the pad parts). You may adjust the thickness of these foams to your preferred sound signature. The sound signature changes dramatically as you adjust the thickness.

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #2,212 of 2,344
I paid 40 euros for the HD-660 and over 70 euros for the ProDJ100. It seems that Koss headphones are cheaper in the US than in Europe - and maybe it is the other way with Superluxes.

Could be. I typically hit amazon.com to get a baseline for a good price for things. Right now, HD660 is $73 + $5 shipping. ProDJ100 is $43 + free shipping so yeah, the Superlux is about twice the price before buying M50 pads for the DJ100. If you want to start doing pad swaps, genuine M50 pads are about $20 while genuine DT-770 pads are about $30.

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #2,214 of 2,344
Not sure if anyone posted, but here is the best video review ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-drENgtHMmQ

Why best? Well, because the man behind the camera went an extra mile and recorded the (°_°)phones with HQ mics, with and without M50 pads.

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #2,215 of 2,344
  Not sure if anyone posted, but here is the best video review ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-drENgtHMmQ

Why best? Well, because the man behind the camera went an extra mile and recorded the (°_°)phones with HQ mics, with and without M50 pads.

I watched that whole review. When I saw the "Z" logo I thought it was a Zombie_X review at first.
I was using the Q701 at the time at during parts I seriously thought I was listening to the DJ100 INSIDE my Q701.

I think him and I would have to disagree on the effect of the two pads. For me (and my ears) the stock DJ100 is slightly bassier and warmer. Things more close up and less spaced out. M50 pads give me more of a semi-open like feel with slightly more treble.

The differences could be because of ear sizes. This is really true. He mentioned that the DJ100 is on ear for him, but for me it's definitely over ear. I don't even have tiny ears! The foam of the M50 pads also doesn't seem to tame the highs. If it did the M50 would not be known for having somewhat harsh highs. Even the V6 has similar foam backing. I do think it does smooth over the sound a tad, but perhaps because your ears are further away from the driver.

I guess when you use the DJ100 and the pads are ON ear for you, then you'll get more highs perhaps.

So...bigger ears will get more bass and less treble on the M50 pads. This is just a guess though.

I checked out some of the guy's other reviews and HM5 has been on my radar, but I absolutely HATE those pads when it comes to sound. I guess on the actual HM5 headphone they'll be fine. I kind of want to hear the SRH-1540 also, but it's too pricey and looks like it's too bassy for me.

I really want a closed (bigger) headphone that sounds more like an open headphone. I wish the T90 was cheaper.

Haha, that video made me want to go listen to my TB/DJ100. It's been awhile.

Jun 13, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #2,217 of 2,344
How about AKG K550/551? Its closed and has wide soundstage. Some don't like its sound and some like it. For me, its an excellent contender. If you recable the K551, you will have a great hp. Since the prices for K551 dropped significantly (for Europe, don't know its the same for US) you may give it a try...

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #2,218 of 2,344
How about AKG K550/551?

tdock really didn't like K55x:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/571216/koss-pro-dj-100-the-budget-king/660#post_8534227

I like K55x more than he does but... it has some problems. While K551 is marketed as a portable headphone (in-line iThing controls and all) it's not really portable. It's huge, which causes fit issues for some, and the big pads get sweaty and uncomfortable much more quickly than smaller pads like M50, which isn't conducive to summertime portability. As an aside, this last reason is why I'm hopeful about the Alcantara pads.

Sonically, the K55x midrange isn't as forward as ProDJ and I've found that I prefer how ProDJ sounds for it. I listen to a lot of metal which means solid (but not overwhelming) bass, lots of electric guitar, and soaring vocals. ProDJ handles all of these together better, IMO, than K55x. I don't do J-Pop but I do like TWO-MIX (synthpop/EDM) and I find that high vocals on K55x get... I don't want to say grating because that's not right, but they can get annoying after a while. I don't get that from ProDJ.

Yeah, the technically inferior headphone is the one that I find more enjoyable for listening to music. Go fig. :)

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #2,219 of 2,344
The differences could be because of ear sizes. This is really true. He mentioned that the DJ100 is on ear for him, but for me it's definitely over ear. I don't even have tiny ears!

Ear size and shape. I can't get a decent fit with the stock pads either on-ear or over ear. My ears protrude too much.

The foam of the M50 pads also doesn't seem to tame the highs. If it did the M50 would not be known for having somewhat harsh highs. Even the V6 has similar foam backing. I do think it does smooth over the sound a tad, but perhaps because your ears are further away from the driver.

Foam or felt tends to absorb high frequency sounds as they pass through the material. You need a fair thickness or density of material to have an appreciable effect, but too much material muddies everything. Example: PortaPro and the quarter mod. Removing the foam opens up the treble and cleans up the mud.

The material on the M50 pads is mostly for comfort, to keep your ears from rubbing against the driver housings. There just isn't enough material to do much to the sound passing through.

Jun 16, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #2,220 of 2,344
As an aside, this last reason is why I'm hopeful about the Alcantara pads.

Which arrived just a short while ago.

They're larger than the M50 pads. Duh, they're Shure-sized. Mounting on ProDJ is similar. They're larger but the material that fits in the grooves is wider so they stay attached quite well. Installation is easier since there's much less stretching involved.

These may well be the most comfortable ear pads anyone has ever made.

How do they sound? They make a slight thumping sound when dropped on the table but otherwise they're pretty much silent. :)

How does music sound with them attached? Overall, everything sounds a little bit bigger. If you've tried AKG K55x then you've experienced something like it. The drivers are a little further from my ears with the SRH pads. That's making parallel comparison (M50 on one side, 1540 on the other) difficult since the M50 side is a little louder and I don't have the equipment to get a precise balance between the two. Most importantly, the boomy bass I feared isn't there. Sub-bass reverberation is slightly reduced. Everything else is close enough that I can't tell them apart.

When all is said and done? I'm keeping them.

Edit: So, I've discovered an aspect of these pads that SRH1540 owners already know: the pads leak. Not much, mind, but they do isolate a little bit less than the M50 pads. That's the tradeoff for the perforated Alcantara that's so comfortable to wear and keeps the bass from getting boomy. I'm still keeping them. Comfort wins out over a bit of sonic leakage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back