Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Jun 7, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #2,192 of 2,344
Duh? How is that any different from what everyone else posts on head-fi?

Well, most people try to temper what they are saying knowing that their opinion is subjective and that others may have completely different feelings. You are definitely not doing that by saying stuff like "Mikros 90 is an on-ear headphone and thus inherently inferior" or "Wearing will hurt. That makes it junk.". What you're doing is verging on trolling. In my opinion.

Jun 7, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #2,193 of 2,344
I'm boggling over how you can suggest that the semi-open PortaPro offers better isolation than ProDJ.
One of us is missing something important here.

I gotta agree with you there though. The Portapro's and KSC75's are the antithesis of isolation lol.

Jun 7, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #2,194 of 2,344
It works for me, KSC75 also doesn't sound the exact same as the Portapros according to some people. Portapros work better for me on the bus so I'll keep using them.

Jun 7, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #2,196 of 2,344
Which part of "take it with a salt lick" from my post about Mikros 90 and HK CL being junk failed to convey that it is my opinion?

Good point! Sorry about that.

Jun 7, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #2,197 of 2,344
It works for me, KSC75 also doesn't sound the exact same as the Portapros according to some people. Portapros work better for me on the bus so I'll keep using them.

Correct, the Portapros have more bass emphasis, which indeed will help drown out ambient noise. As opposed to buses, my isolation tests are usually done at the gym. Sadly, the portapros, sportapros, kcs75's and akg k418's don't block out the stupid music the gym is playing, or the clanging of weights etc at all. The DJ100's wouldn't do a good enough job either (and they are a bit large as well). The DT1350's and Mikros 90's isolate well enough, but comfort/asthetics come into play. So, I'm just going to break down and get me some Beats lol! (or stick with IEMs - why not?).

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #2,198 of 2,344
Good point! Sorry about that.

No problem.

Correct, the Portapros have more bass emphasis, which indeed will help drown out ambient noise.

Specifically the low frequency noise. Though, this isn't isolation; it's masking. Just being picky. :)

Or go active cancelling. Active noise cancellation works well with droning, low frequency noise. This is the one area where I suggest Bose. Their sound quality isn't spectacular but they've been doing active cancellation headphones and headsets for longer than just about everyone.

Or maybe this:
http://www.davidclark.com/StereoHeadset.html

So, I'm just going to break down and get me some Beats lol! (or stick with IEMs - why not?).

You're not going to do better than in-ears for isolation except maybe for that David Clark headset and I wouldn't recommend that for the gym. Comfort... well, that can be hit or miss. I find that in-ears get sweaty and itchy very quickly, and the ear wax buildup is unpleasant to say the least.

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #2,199 of 2,344
You're not going to do better than in-ears for isolation except maybe for that David Clark headset and I wouldn't recommend that for the gym. Comfort... well, that can be hit or miss. I find that in-ears get sweaty and itchy very quickly, and the ear wax buildup is unpleasant to say the least.

Yeah, I certainly haven't found the answer yet. I am actually quite happy with the Tpeos H200 iems for the gym - they isolate very well, and they sound very good. But they do get sweaty/itchy, which is one reason I generally lean towards headphones over IEMs. But in the gym setting, I find that headphones (especially the dreaded on-ear headphones lol) get sweaty and uncomfy as well and generally make me look like a doofus (not that hard to do). So the search goes on!

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #2,200 of 2,344
What have I started here?!?! I vanish from the thread and see there was some mini bout with Hairspray...

In other news I picked up some D200's and they were exactly as I remembered the DJ100. Warm, bassy, and smooth. I'll still say they weren't worth the $70 I dropped on them but the detachable cable is a nice positive. To clarify, I enjoy these headphones, I mainly feel they are overhyped. The DJ100 for $40 is an excellent deal. I'm thinking of picking up and modding DJ100's to being balanced. That sounds like fun!

feel free to mate me
frown.gif
. Der Zombie will cry tears of blood is the hate hits me again...

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #2,201 of 2,344
In other news I picked up some D200's and they were exactly as I remembered the DJ100. Warm, bassy, and smooth. I'll still say they weren't worth the $70 I dropped on them but the detachable cable is a nice positive.

Having someone remove a fixed cord and replace it with a stereo jack is worth about $25 for time and labor, and the jack itself is about two bucks. That's what Darius at Q Audio in Cambridge charged me for doing this to my K551. So I figure if you'd pay around $45 for DJ100 then $70 for DJ200 is a fair price just to get it with the jack assuming that, like me, you aren't able to do the work yourself. The case and extra cable are a bonus.

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #2,203 of 2,344
Does anybody own both the dj100 and the superlux budget headphones? Which of the 2 take the budget crown?

I'd give up my dj100 before my Evo or HD-660

Jun 9, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #2,204 of 2,344
If by budget Superlux you mean the 668 and the 681 then I don't think it's fair to make that comparison. ProDJ is a closed headphone; Superlux 668 and 681 are semi-open headphones. They're in different categories as far as I'm concerned. Apples and oranges.

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #2,205 of 2,344
If by budget Superlux you mean the 668 and the 681 then I don't think it's fair to make that comparison. ProDJ is a closed headphone; Superlux 668 and 681 are semi-open headphones. They're in different categories as far as I'm concerned. Apples and oranges.

the HD-660 is closed and sounds great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back