Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Jun 5, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #2,161 of 2,344
These barely isolate either tbh

"Barely" is a word that I'd use to describe the isolation from Skullcandy Aviator.

I'd say ProDJ is about average for closed over-ears. It's enough to turn things like conversations on crowded train platforms into background noise but not so much that announcements on the PA system are inaudible.

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #2,162 of 2,344

These barely isolate either tbh

"Barely" is a word that I'd use to describe the isolation from Skullcandy Aviator.

I'd say ProDJ is about average for closed over-ears. It's enough to turn things like conversations on crowded train platforms into background noise but not so much that announcements on the PA system are inaudible.

M50's isolate more, and they're not known for being the best isolating. Denon-D600 definitely isolates more than both. Meh, it barely does anything to me. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #2,163 of 2,344

I use my Pro DJ100 / M50 pads as hearing protection when mowing the lawn. Turns it from a ringing in my ears after an hour of pushing the beast around, to a somewhat enjoyable exercise, with music. I'm betting that my glasses break the seal and make more noise come in, but while it's no where near the performance of a real ear protection, it's not that bad actually...
B!

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #2,164 of 2,344
I have a HD600. An early one at that, had it for years. I do prefer my DJ100 and DJ200 but not for the reason you might think. Which is that HD600 is COMPLETELY USELESS on the subway.

Not to mention how a headphone the size of the HD600 would draw quite the attention even if no music was playing through them! 

I have the newer HD600 version. I will have to check out the sonic differences between it and the 100's. I will report back.

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #2,165 of 2,344
I use my Pro DJ100 / M50 pads as hearing protection when mowing the lawn. Turns it from a ringing in my ears after an hour of pushing the beast around, to a somewhat enjoyable exercise, with music. I'm betting that my glasses break the seal and make more noise come in, but while it's no where near the performance of a real ear protection, it's not that bad actually...
B!

Get some Tenore or KC06 IEMs and throw them under some ear muffs, and it will truly turn lawn mowing into an enjoyable experience!

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #2,167 of 2,344
I haven't tried a can that isolates lessote name="ratinox" url="/t/571216/koss-pro-dj-100-the-budget-king/2160#post_10611838"]
M50's isolate more, and they're not known for being the best isolating. Denon-D600 definitely isolates more than both. Meh, it barely does anything to me.

Yes, there are plenty of closed over-ears that isolate more. There are plenty that isolate less. ProDJ is somewhere in the middle. That's what "average" means.[/quote]

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #2,168 of 2,344
I haven't tried a can that isolates less

That's not the same thing as "barely does anything."

I can listen to my music at around 65 dB and only just barely hear people talking 3 feet away from me where "barely" means that the conversation is around a whisper. I know they're talking but I can't make out what they're saying.

Based on my experience either you're not getting a good seal from the pads or you're exaggerating.

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #2,169 of 2,344
In terms of isolation, there is no contradiction between "about average for closed over-ears" and " barely does anything". Compared to IEMs or good noise cancelling, the average closed over-ears barely does anything.

My closed circumaural headphones ranked from least isolation to the most:
CAL! < Superlux HD600 < ProDJ100 < UE 6000.

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #2,171 of 2,344
In terms of isolation, there is no contradiction between "about average for closed over-ears" and " barely does anything". Compared to IEMs or good noise cancelling, the average closed over-ears barely does anything.

Exaggeration.
Got it.

Well for my use, in my opinion I feel it does not isolate enough on the bus. I've been bringing my Portapros instead. Keep in mind this is without an amp.

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #2,173 of 2,344
I'm boggling over how you can suggest that the semi-open PortaPro offers better isolation than ProDJ.
One of us is missing something important here.

One explanation: The ProDJ100 *amplifies* some frequencies of outside noise more than the PortaPro. Measurements from InnerFidelity show that somewhere between 70 and 400 Hz The Koss Tony Bennett have more noise than the PortaPro. Only in frequencies higher than 400 does the Tony Bennett isolate clearly better than the PortaPro. Much of bus noise probably is in that 70-400 Hz range, and therefore Fuzziekiwi's claim is plausible.

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #2,174 of 2,344
One explanation: The ProDJ100 *amplifies* some frequencies of outside noise more than the PortaPro. Measurements from InnerFidelity show that somewhere between 70 and 400 Hz The Koss Tony Bennett have more noise than the PortaPro.

The isolation graphs for the closed over-ear headphones on Tyll's wall of fame shows positive values in the low frequencies. This includes several that have been described earlier as having superior isolation characteristics to ProDJ. No, I don't understand why the graphs are displayed this way. I do know that 200Hz and 300Hz test tones played from my desktop speakers don't sound 5dB louder when I put on my DJ200. And the same test tones don't sound 8dB quieter when I clip on my KSC-75.

Here's how I generate test tones. Replace the "300" after sin with the frequency you want. The noise is there to provide a base line for comparison.
sox -R -n -b16 test.wav synth sin 300 noise remix 1p-6,2p-36 fade h .25 30 .25 pad .25 .25

Jun 7, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #2,175 of 2,344
The isolation graphs for the closed over-ear headphones on Tyll's wall of fame shows positive values in the low frequencies. This includes several that have been described earlier as having superior isolation characteristics to ProDJ. No, I don't understand why the graphs are displayed this way.

Neither do I....but there it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back