Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Jun 3, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #2,131 of 2,344
My take on the M50 pads is that they make for a 90% improvement. The stock pads don't fit on my head. I can't get any kind of seal with the stock pads and without that the headphones sound rubbish. M50 pads are thicker and as a result I can get a good seal with them. They're also more comfortable for me since the driver housings aren't pressing against my ears.

Shure SRH1540 pads might be better. Deeper so larger volume inside so more boomy, but microfiber instead of pleather so less reflection so less boomy?

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #2,132 of 2,344
For my money, M50 pads is a must have upgrade.
I can't even start to tell you how piss poor the DJ100-pro is without them. Mostly, since i cant stand having them on me for more then 20 mins at the time. They actually hurt my ears, physically. With the M50 pads this isn't an issue, as they fit around my ears, rather then over.

My main issue with these headphones at this point. I have started experiencing crackling noises, and fading issues related to the cable orientation, it would seam the phono plug end isn't as durable as one would hope.

Sending them in for a fix, or, rebuilding the headphones, with a jack instead of the cable...
B!

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #2,133 of 2,344
Quick question to TBE folk - is the TB sig engraved or just painted on?  Like the detachable cable but also like the understated 100 look (and the 200 is more expensive than both).

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #2,135 of 2,344
Engraved.
biggrin.gif

Well, at least they're committed!

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #2,136 of 2,344
I've worn them out in public many times, I think the signature is recessed so you could fill it with some bondo sand smooth and paint the cup. I'm not home so I can't say for sure, if it is infact raised it could be ground off if you really were so inclined. :D

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #2,138 of 2,344

[...] Best thing to do is just move along already and let us enjoy our headphone.[...]

Haha, I saw that coming..
Since I'm the owner of a DJ 100, I want to share my impressions too.
Or is this thread for evangelists only?
We all know that the minority opinion is qualitatively superior to the majority.
biggrin.gif

[...] My idea is that if you have huge ears [...]

Nope, not at all, but thanks, that made my day.
Seriously, I loled so hard
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[...] I've had the Supelux HD-668B. People keep saying they're $30 or $20, but where can you get them for that? With shipping my HD-668B cost me nearly $60. HD-668B is decent, but it had recessed mids and a thin sound and lack of low bass [...]

The 668 is the only SL I don't like (grainy mids - but not recessed -, thin sounding, boring, terrible timbre). I would not recommend the 668. It's neutral in a bad way.

[...] BTW you've posted that you disliked them probably a year ago and you're still reading this thread. You must have some interest in them still. [...]

Exactly, because:
1) again, I'm a DJ 100 owner
2) this thread is still a mystery to me, and I want to "give the fly a chance"
3) I actually do like my DJ 100, they look cool, are decent portable HPs and, most of all, they impress the ladies.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I hope you understand sarcasm :)

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #2,141 of 2,344
I don't want you to take me seriously.
I'm doing my best to take you seriously.

Okay, I'll bite the troll:

Measurements don't matter. Neutrality doesn't matter. Timbre, which headphones don't have because they're not musical instruments but I'll play along, doesn't matter.

What matters is that my music on my ProDJ200 with M50 pads sounds good to me. What matters is that it is comfortable to wear. What matters is that it works with my little Sansa Clip.

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #2,142 of 2,344
Hi Gents.

I've been reading some of the posts here about the DJ100 and man it's quite obvious that not many headphones create such a stir as these Koss "kans" have done! Budget King is definitely the right moniker!

I just picked up a pair myself here in Toronto from a Winners store, brand new in the box. I was hemming and hawing about it as I just haven't seen or heard much buzz about Koss phones in awhile, but I just had to try them out because....the price was a paltry $39.99!! 
After reading that these are the same phones as the Tony Bennett model (which I have seen in a Staples Store for $149.99) I new that I had scored big time!!

I tried them straight out of the box with no burn-in whatsoever (I totally believe in burn-in. If you do not, buy Grados and then you will) and after getting used to the nasal honkiness in the midrange, I started to become accustomed to their sound and really got into them to the point that I just didn't want to remove them from my head for awhile. The clarity and detail of these things is superb for "budget cans"! I need to burn them in more by just playing more music while listening (mainly jazz) but so far very promising! Hopefully that slightly canned midrange quality will subside. Yes?

I really don't have much of a problem so far with the pads. Maybe my ears don't stick out too much, but I see that the M50 pads is the way to go for these. Is it difficult to remove the stock pads and install the M50 pads?

Anyway I will post more thoughts after more burn-in.
Cheers!

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #2,143 of 2,344
  Hi Gents.

I've been reading some of the posts here about the DJ100 and man it's quite obvious that not many headphones create such a stir as these Koss "kans" have done! Budget King is definitely the right moniker!

I just picked up a pair myself here in Toronto from a Winners store, brand new in the box. I was hemming and hawing about it as I just haven't seen or heard much buzz about Koss phones in awhile, but I just had to try them out because....the price was a paltry $39.99!! 
After reading that these are the same phones as the Tony Bennett model (which I have seen in a Staples Store for $149.99) I new that I had scored big time!!

I tried them straight out of the box with no burn-in whatsoever (I totally believe in burn-in. If you do not, buy Grados and then you will) and after getting used to the nasal honkiness in the midrange, I started to become accustomed to their sound and really got into them to the point that I just didn't want to remove them from my head for awhile. The clarity and detail of these things is superb for "budget cans"! I need to burn them in more by just playing more music while listening (mainly jazz) but so far very promising! Hopefully that slightly canned midrange quality will subside. Yes?

I really don't have much of a problem so far with the pads. Maybe my ears don't stick out too much, but I see that the M50 pads is the way to go for these. Is it difficult to remove the stock pads and install the M50 pads?

Cheers!

I got my TBSE's at Winners for $39.99 as well. Not a bad deal indeed! That was quite a while ago, and I kind of discounted them at the time. Maybe it was the midrange honkiness of which you speak. But recently I threw on a different cable that I had lying around, and it definitely helped with midrange and now I really appreciate these things. Like you also, I don't mind the stock pads, but I am now very intrigued to see how the M50 pads affect things. It will be super easy to replace them I'm sure - the tough part for me is spending the money to buy them lol.

Actually, I got them at Staples for $30. Wow, that was a good deal.

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #2,145 of 2,344
  Hi Gents.

Cheers!

It's very easy. To remove the pads just lightly pull on the edges of the pad and it comes off.
To attach M50 pads, just hold them in place against the cup and work your way around and stuff the edges of the pad into the "cracks". It's way easier than it sounds.
I can now do it easily in less than 30 seconds for each side.

I wonder if "Tuesday Morning" US stores still have the TB version for $50. That's where I got mine. I still would like to try the DJ200 just to know for what what it's like.
I imagine it's just the replacement for the TB version.

My last few DJ100s or TBs did not need any burn in at all. I guess I was lucky or something! I've had a couple that didn't sound great out of the box. I guess it's because it's a titanium driver and needs to break in. One time I ever had two to compare at the same time.

Burn in time is so weird because i've never had a headphone require more than a week of use. Even my K702 and Q701s sounded great out of the box.

Still wish Koss could do a major redesign of this to get rid of the round shape and be a little more comfortable stock. Maybe a less portable design or something.

Heck, they could use it's driver and even make a good gaming headphone. Koss always had headphones that were not exactly known for their comfort.

They should experiment and make a fully open headphone with it's driver, but somehow figure out a way to keep the DJ100s bass or get close. Probably impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back