Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Jul 27, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #736 of 2,344
I know, I'm just saying you need an amp to make it louder if you watch a lot of youtube.

Jul 27, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #737 of 2,344
Question,

When I buy the DJ100's again, I won't be using it for my iPod, just desktop. What are some good desktop amps for $50 and under (if there are some)..? Can the fiio E6 be used with a desktop?

Also I remember reading a comment from you that said the DJ100 tends to pick up the sound signature of the device you plug it into, is that still true?

I just remembered when I had them a while ago that when I plugged them into my dad's reciever, the DJ100 had almost as much bass as Sennheiser HD439's. I miss my Koss already!

Jul 27, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #738 of 2,344
Quote:
Question,

When I buy the DJ100's again, I won't be using it for my iPod, just desktop. What are some good desktop amps for $50 and under (if there are some)..? Can the fiio E6 be used with a desktop?

Also I remember reading a comment from you that said the DJ100 tends to pick up the sound signature of the device you plug it into, is that still true?

I just remembered when I had them a while ago that when I plugged them into my dad's reciever, the DJ100 had almost as much bass as Sennheiser HD439's. I miss my Koss already!

For a computer I'd suggest a DAC/AMP (in one). There's the E7 to start with, but it's around $70 and over budget. There's also the E11. It's not too bad.
There's a good chance if you have a decent soundcard, your computer can drive the DJ100 just fine. I wouldn't normally suggest sending the soundcard to an external amp. I actually haven't tried this yet.

Most amps i've had are not majorly colored (if that's even possible), so the DJ100 won't change dramatically. Even the difference between my E11 and Total Airhead isn't huge. When I use the E5 and my Nuforce Icon Mobile it's easy to spot the rolled off bass. The E6 has better bass than the E5 i've heard. I guess it would be possible for me to dislike the DJ100 on the wrong amp. I hated the E7 with the DJ100 because of it's edgy treble. Supposed to be dead neutral I guess.

Maybe the output impedance on the amp is too high? My DJ100 on my Onkyo sounds a bit off, but it's fine on my older Technics receiver and that thing has a 330ohm output!! I'd say the DJ100 has a tad more bass, but it's signature didn't change much other than that. I've read that some Yamaha receivers are good for the DJ100, but I haven't tried that.

I think my favorite amp for the DJ100 right now is the Fiio E9. Even the soundstage increases in size. I played Fallout 3 for 3 hours today just using the DJ100 with the E9.

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #739 of 2,344
This is the reciever I used to test out the DJ100 when I had them, which exactly is the output? 

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/424500909VSX-517-K(-S).pdf

http://i.imgur.com/dG5nU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/e0t02.jpg

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #740 of 2,344
Hi head-fi experts!

I ordered the Koss Pro DJ100 on Amazon the other day and they will be at home tonight.

I read the reviews here and most recommend a portable amp with this device.  I plan to use this with a Samsung Galaxy II and a laptop.  I really do not want to buy an amp with this since I do not want to carry it around. 

Would the Samsung Galaxy II and a laptop be able to give me good sound?  

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #741 of 2,344
I've noticed the most bizarre thing ever with my TB/DJ100 and stock pads. I never use stock pads, but have been for the last week.

Two days ago I was listening to the DJ100 with stock pads until 3am! This was with a Fuze to my Total Airhead by headphone jack. Sounded amazing and I didn't want to sleep.

The next day I used the same setup. Sounded much less clear and almost like the mid-bass was much more forward and muddied up the sound. What the heck?! Nothing too terrible, but totally different.

I even switched sources/amps, tried a LOD and different cables. I even went as far as readjusting the pads on my head and using Qtips! After about a half hour and a 10 minute break they sounded just like before. Makes no sense.

Today they sounded a bit off again. Out of nowhere I stretched the stock pads out while on the cups. Each section as far as I could. Now everything sounds perfect. WHAT THE HECK??? I must be hearing things or something?
Why on earth would this improve the sound quality? My guess is that it's like how the M50 pads slightly improve the sound. More air inside the pads between your ear and the driver and the clearer they get. Maybe while the stock pads are not in use they somehow shrink slightly. This is the only thing I could come up with.

BTW when i've stretched them out a bit they're also more comfortable and touch my ears less. Everything sounds crystal clear right now. No extra mid-bass.

I really want to have someone measure these with M50 or V6 pads and see if they get different results. I bet it's hard to get a good seal with stock pads.

I ordered some more V6 pads since my old ones went missing. I've found they're on Amazon for under $12/pair. You have to be careful because some people sell them at that price for each side!

I've never had a headphone where pads affected the sound so much.

Also..Primus sounds really good on the DJ100..don't ask me how. Definitely no lack of treble or bass. Some of their music sounds a bit distant, but it's due to the recording.

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #742 of 2,344
Quote:
Hi head-fi experts!

I ordered the Koss Pro DJ100 on Amazon the other day and they will be at home tonight.

I read the reviews here and most recommend a portable amp with this device.  I plan to use this with a Samsung Galaxy II and a laptop.  I really do not want to buy an amp with this since I do not want to carry it around. 

Would the Samsung Galaxy II and a laptop be able to give me good sound?  

The Samsung Galaxy II would probably make them sound better than the laptop I imagine. Depends on the laptop I guess. Some headphone jacks on laptops are very noisy. Mine is so bad it's unusable.
Some amps like the E5/E6 are super small though.

I've actually found that my favorite source for the DJ100 is the Sansa Clip+. That device should be perfectly OK I'd imagine.

Jul 30, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #743 of 2,344
Quote:

The Samsung Galaxy II would probably make them sound better than the laptop I imagine. Depends on the laptop I guess. Some headphone jacks on laptops are very noisy. Mine is so bad it's unusable.

I've actually found that my favorite source for the DJ100 is the Sansa Clip+. That device should be perfectly OK I'd imagine.

The newer Intel i series laptops are pretty decent.  My Galaxy SII skyrocket has AWFUL sound output.  I honestly think a laptop would be better.

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #744 of 2,344
Quote:

Quote:
The newer Intel i series laptops are pretty decent.  My Galaxy SII skyrocket has AWFUL sound output.  I honestly think a laptop would be better.

Wow wow wow... linuxid10t you are right!  The output from the Galaxy SII really really sucks.  It is really bad.  everything sounds "muddy" like what you experts call it.  I am no audiophile but when I plugged it in to my Lenovo Thinkpad x61, it sounded great.. The music was popping and it was plain amazing.  

With the Galaxy S II I really cannot get volume out of it... at 90 percent it still is not that loud.  Is an amp the only thing I can do to help it?

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #745 of 2,344
From what I've read on anandtech it's the crappy Yamaha DAC in the new Samsung smartphones that makes them sound so bad. The Galaxy S still has a Wolfson DAC, so it should sound much better.

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #746 of 2,344
Quote:
From what I've read on anandtech it's the crappy Yamaha DAC in the new Samsung smartphones that makes them sound so bad. The Galaxy S still has a Wolfson DAC, so it should sound much better.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608535/wolfson-dac-confirmed-for-galaxy-s3

Looks like I have to upgrade from the Samsung Galaxy S II to the Galaxy S3

Looks like the Wolfson DAC will not be in the US Samsung Galaxy S3..

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-wolfson-audio-chip-97729/

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #747 of 2,344
Jul 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #750 of 2,344
Nah, I'd prefer to get a used pair for $65...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back