Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Apr 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #361 of 2,344

Quote:
^ Do I need to strip the starquad or do I use it as is(but how b/c the inputs look different ><) but yes I'll probably just wait for them to arrive and appreciate them first lol. I do really want a wider soundstage though.

I asked for a cat5 or 6 cable on hardforum's freebie thread and I already have a stripper if I do try it. But lol gosh, all this audio stuff is fun but rather costly since you have to buy everything...

The Starquad comes with 4 wires inside a plastic cover. You can remove the cover to expose the wire. You then need to strip off the metal shielding. It's around $1.00 per feet or less.
I like Mogami W2893, but it might be too thick and awkward to use with the TB.

You then need two 3.5mm plugs to solder the wire to. The Switchcraft plugs are good or there's always Radioshack..
Then some heat shrink tubing or sleeving.

Here's a good video on making cables. It's for an instrument cable, but still applies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smg68qgJa-I

When I learned to solder and make my own cheap cables, I used wiki, Youtube and google for reference.

BTW The Cat6 is stupid annoying to use, so it's not worth bothering with unless you like working with frustrating wire. Just one of my dumb experiments.

For the TB, I think stock wiring is perfect as it is.

Some places such as BlueJeans cables or Redco can make you premade cables for a little extra. Redco is good and cheap.

Apr 22, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #362 of 2,344
planning to buy either the dj100 or TB version. Is it the same thing ?
i really love the detachable cable on TB but like the plain style on dj100.

can i just buy the TB and buy some replacement shell and swap ?

Apr 22, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #363 of 2,344

Quote:
planning to buy either the dj100 or TB version. Is it the same thing ?
i really love the detachable cable on TB but like the plain style on dj100.

can i just buy the TB and buy some replacement shell and swap ?

As far as I know, the TB and DJ100 have a similar sound. I do prefer the plan looking DJ100, but the TB looks better in person than online. The logo and signature looks OK to me.
I wonder why Koss released the DJ100 with a white logo on the side in europe, but inside the USA it's just black?

No way to swap out the shells unless you buy two headphones.

There is also the ProDJ200 which has a mic/remote cable. It has no signature, but has the silver logo. Same detachable cable option. It's $120 though.

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #364 of 2,344
^now I'm getting excited to fix my summer schedule. :)))) I think I'm going to do Friday as my DIY day.

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #366 of 2,344
^ And the TB are $62...

Apr 22, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #367 of 2,344
My TBs are coming either tomorrow or tuesday. I am so pumped. Tdock got me on the boat ride and I intend it to ride it all the way to midrange
nurvana!
L3000.gif

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #370 of 2,344
Need to buy the Koss Pro DJ 200 but confused between this and few other brands like v-moda M80 , SOUL SL100UB Ultra Definition ,Sennheiser HD 238i or Creative WP-350 . Wanted to add dre beats to the list but just heard them in store 2 days back. Im not much into rap music and usually prefer jazz and rock .Just wanted to know the best option .I want to use these with my iphone and also with a laptop at home.

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #371 of 2,344
Get the Koss TBSE1 (special edition of koss pro dj 100) only 62.00 plus shipping. These are cheaper that the 200s but still have detachable cord and carrying case. I will never buy a dj 200 because i don't have a ipod. I just don't think these are worth the extra dough. same sound, more expensive price.

Apr 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #372 of 2,344
Hi, tdockweiler:

I have a question for you if you do not mind.  I have seen you written about some other headhones that I have interest.  Since you also like the TB/DJ100, I thought I ask you.

I almost exclusively listen to various classical music and am really more into the music itself rather than the absolute pristine sound quality.   However, I am also open to better sound.

That said, I am now satisfied with the TB/DJ100 (slight treble booster EQ, especially around 4-6 kHz) ; AT M50 (mostly for iPods), and HD280 (using with UCA202 because it likes higher impedance).  Frankly, I am also extremely happy with the Pro35a (an older Koss made for Radio Shack, the older version of KTXPro1).  This is some special budget headphones made by Koss.

As you can see, most of mines are closed headphones.  

My question is this for you: Are there open headphones costing between $200 - $300, that have MUCH better sound quality than the TB/DJ100?

Thank you in advance.

BTW, I have the PA2V2 AMP and the UCA202 DAC/AMP.

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #373 of 2,344

Quote:
Hi, tdockweiler:

I have a question for you if you do not mind.  I have seen you written about some other headhones that I have interest.  Since you also like the TB/DJ100, I thought I ask you.

I almost exclusively listen to various classical music and am really more into the music itself rather than the absolute pristine sound quality.   However, I am also open to better sound.

That said, I am now satisfied with the TB/DJ100 (slight treble booster EQ, especially around 4-6 kHz) ; AT M50 (mostly for iPods), and HD280 (using with UCA202 because it likes higher impedance).  Frankly, I am also extremely happy with the Pro35a (an older Koss made for Radio Shack, the older version of KTXPro1).  This is some special budget headphones made by Koss.

As you can see, most of mines are closed headphones.  

My question is this for you: Are there open headphones costing between $200 - $300, that have MUCH better sound quality than the TB/DJ100?

Thank you in advance.

BTW, I have the PA2V2 AMP and the UCA202 DAC/AMP.

Well, most of them I would suggest are "technically" better, but just not as fun to listen to for me.
I'm a big fan of the HD-598. I wouldn't call it better, but just different. More like another flavor. It seems to be even smoother and more forgiving of bad tracks sometimes. I could listen to that thing all day with the worst tracks I can find and it still wouldn't bother me I think. It's much warmer than the DJ100 and often has me thinking it's less clear. It's soundstage is much larger though, but nothing ever sounds too distant. Vocals are up-front, but this depends on the recording of course. The HD-598 is one of the few headphones that's a "do everything" headphone. I could maybe live with just that and be happy. Good for movies, games and music. It makes most every track I have sound good. Makes you want to just stop analyzing everything. I find it more engaging than the HD-600/650 due to it's more forward mids and extra treble.

People will think i'm crazy, but I actually think the HD-598 is easier to drive than the DJ100. Even out of my portable players it sounds good. I think the HD-598 is worth $175 max..maybe $200, but $250 is a joke. I won't even mentioned the HD-600 since I haven't gotten that to ever sound amazing and now it's $399, which is robbery.

The HD-580 for $150 used is decent, but I think the DJ100 has it beat. HD-580 has more forward upper mids than the 600. Sounds clearer and more detailed too. Same drivers, but the grills change the sound. I was surprised how much more I liked the 580 over the HD-600!

The HD-600 with DHC cable is pretty impressive, but I know people hate the cable discussion and Double Helix wire isn't cheap. It really clears up the sound, which is exactly what the HD-600 needs.

I also love the Q701, but it needs a powerful amp to sound at it's best. The E9 is the absolute minimum, although I got it to sound good from my E11, but not with a LOD cable. Buying a Q701 with just a E11 is a mistake I think.

I don't even know why the q701 is better than the DJ100. I guess it's clearer (not even sure about that) and has a larger soundstage. I don't actually think it has more detail. The Q701 is fairly warm, but not enough for some. I wouldn't call it forgiving and with some badly recorded music it can cause issues.

I'm a big fan of the K601. It's a mix of the K702 and maybe the HD-600. It's much warmer than the Q701, has fuller mids, smaller soundstage and much more bass (including mid-bass). I paid $200 for mine and I guess it's getting hard to find.

For me, the near perfect headphone is the 598. Sometimes I wish it was a little clearer though. Often I feel as if it's kind of not clear enough for a $250 headphone. I actually prefer the 598 to the HD-600, but with DHC on my HD-600, it's a pretty close one. I don't like the HD-600 as much as most because it's too warm and muffled with stock cable. Yeah, i'm weird..

BTW for classical, the K501 is amazing. Much smoother and neutral than the K601 and K702. It's a pain in the butt to drive though. I only got rid of it because it's soundstage is massive. Bigger than the AD700 even! If I listened to more classical I'd have kept it.

Also..I think the KRK KNS-8400 is technically better than the DJ100 ($150) but just not as fun to listen to and too unforgiving. The mids on the DJ100 are much fuller sounding too and not as thin. KNS-8400 is a detail monster and pretty nice for classical despite being closed.

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #374 of 2,344
Thank you so much, tdockweiler:

What you said found my ears because the HD598 is something I think I will like.  It has a more luxurious look than the HD558.  I wish its impedance is a little higher because the UCA202 really likes higher impedance.  I saw HD598 has gone down to $170-180 on Amazon so I would wait for that.

The K501 is almost impossible to find so I would just pass it.

For the time being, i just enjoy the TB/DJ100 and M50.  

BTW, the TB/DJ100 sounds great from the headphone jack of my MacBook Pro using mostly ALAC tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back