Koss Portapro Thread
Oct 10, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #361 of 1,312
Gave a set to my friend as I've just upgraded to a set of Shure SE425's. She just tried them and sent me this on Facebook:

"**** me - songs with your headphones sounds amazing
[size=11.199999809265137px] give me a shout when you want them back[/size]

[size=11.199999809265137px] **** me!!!!"[/size]

[size=11.199999809265137px]  [/size]

[size=11.199999809265137px] Think she's a fan.[/size]

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #362 of 1,312
Similar thing here. I had my friend listen to my PortaPros on my Clip+. He ordered both the next day.

Now that he has them, he says they completely blow away his $350 Bose headphones. (Shocker...)

He is definitely a fan, but bummed about spending $350 on his Bose!

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #364 of 1,312
Sooo... modified the Grado pads even further.  The pads were just too big.  So a pair of scissors and five minutes later.  I had this:

Ghetto KossGradoPros

(Brings the drivers just a little bit farther away from the ears, opens up the sound a lot.  Less bass, more detail and better soundstage).

(Took apart another pair of pads for the thin cloth you see in the middle).

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #365 of 1,312
Quote:
love mine with grado bowls

kossz.jpg

cool - might give these a try

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #366 of 1,312
Quote:
Sooo... modified the Grado pads even further.  The pads were just too big.  So a pair of scissors and five minutes later.  I had this:

Ghetto KossGradoPros

(Brings the drivers just a little bit farther away from the ears, opens up the sound a lot.  Less bass, more detail and better soundstage).

(Took apart another pair of pads for the thin cloth you see in the middle).

Do the little pads above the temple pads touch your head?

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #367 of 1,312
Quote:
Do the little pads above the temple pads touch your head?

Just a little.  The larger pads I have on there do push them farther away from your temple.

I tried going back to stock pads to test them, but I really like the sound that comes from my ghetto pads instead.

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #368 of 1,312
I want to do a very simple mod on my trusty porta-pros: a quarter mod: will that be enough to make significant difference in SQ?

I have an extra pair of foam covers so no issues if I mess up. :)

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #369 of 1,312
Update: I tried the quarter mod--made little difference in SQ.

I did burn in my new-ish portapros for about 50 hours and they are so sweet now it's ridiculous. It seems as if the mids and highs have really opened up and sparkle just a little bit more. Same fat bass to excite as always. I don't think I'll ever buy a pair of headphones over $100, there's just no need.

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #370 of 1,312
Quote:
Update: I tried the quarter mod--made little difference in SQ.

I did burn in my new-ish portapros for about 50 hours and they are so sweet now it's ridiculous. It seems as if the mids and highs have really opened up and sparkle just a little bit more. Same fat bass to excite as always. I don't think I'll ever buy a pair of headphones over $100, there's just no need.

The Koss portapro/sportapro/ksc75 drivers are pretty crazy indeed. If you want to have fun with the sportapro's, see this great tutorial. I've had the portapro's and I have the ksc75's, but I'll definitely be trying out those sportapro mods!

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #371 of 1,312
Just got a set of these off of Amazon for about 30 bucks.

Man, I gotta say, as long as you've got a fairly quiet  listening environment? These are about the best 30 bucks anybody could spend on headphones, outperforming many others costing much much more.

My other cans are Grado GS1000's and Shure SE535's; also have a set of Beyer T1's in the house and some LCD-3's (my roommates cans) and so I don't compliment 30 dollar headphones very often. But trust me, I'd take these portapros over a whole lot of cans costing far more. 

But for truly portable listening? I mean, moving around, driving, commuting, working out and doing anything really where there's a lot of ambient noise? I don't think they are nearly so good as a good pair of isolating IEM's or closed cans ... they just leak too much (extremely open sounding). 

But as a second pair of desktop, portables? For the office and what not? Shiza ... can't go wrong. Great sound across the range (really surprised at the bass presence) and highly responsive to EQing (I'm using them with a Cowon J3 and add a few notches to either end of the freq range). Again, 30 bucks is insane. And being a child of the 80's (graduated HS in 86), I totally dig the robotic like, retro looks.

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #373 of 1,312
Quote:

Man, I gotta say, as long as you've got a fairly quiet  listening environment? These are about the best 30 bucks anybody could spend on headphones, outperforming many others costing much much more.

My other cans are Grado GS1000's and Shure SE535's; also have a set of Beyer T1's in the house and some LCD-3's (my roommates cans) and so I don't compliment 30 dollar headphones very often. But trust me, I'd take these portapros over a whole lot of cans costing far more. 

But for truly portable listening? I mean, moving around, driving, commuting, working out and doing anything really where there's a lot of ambient noise? I don't think they are nearly so good as a good pair of isolating IEM's or closed cans ... they just leak too much (extremely open sounding). 

But as a second pair of desktop, portables? For the office and what not? Shiza ... can't go wrong. Great sound across the range (really surprised at the bass presence) and highly responsive to EQing (I'm using them with a Cowon J3 and add a few notches to either end of the freq range). Again, 30 bucks is insane. And being a child of the 80's (graduated HS in 86), I totally dig the robotic like, retro looks.

Driving while listening to headphones is illegal in CA, I believe. At some point, we have to realize that it's probably not a good idea to be using headphones 24/7. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #374 of 1,312
Quote:

Driving while listening to headphones is illegal in CA, I believe. At some point, we have to realize that it's probably not a good idea to be using headphones 24/7. 

Well that's about the... (censored) ... thing I've read all day.

:wink:

I only a few words to say in response to that:

(I'll probably get hit by a dump truck while running with my IEM's but it would be a good death,  an honorable death)

:wink:

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #375 of 1,312
Quote:

They are the most amazing little set of cans for the money with a really great Bass presence for the size of them.
The only thing I don't like is how bad they leak sound and it doesn't take much volume for others to hear what your listening too... other than that did I mention that these are the most amazing little set of cans!
dt880smile.png

Quote:

Thanks MOM, we'll all keep that in mind while where out and about amongst the texting drivers and the DUI people...
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back