Koss Portapro Thread
Aug 14, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #664 of 1,312
I have been itching to recable my portapros. A while back I traded a member some professionally recabled Portapros with some very nice and thick cable and HD414 pads... they were amazing. I sold them eventually. I love to keep PortaPros stock as headphones at any time, but I have been thinking about getting another pair to do the cable replacement on.

After heavy use of my Portapros one pad would fall off every day... I don't know how I managed to find it every day, even traveling abroad. Anyway, that's beside the point. Eventually that pad became completely ripped off and the other started falling off, so  I bought some replacement pads on eBay for 1.99 shipped which looked thicker and had a noticeable seam around the edges.

These pads are definitely worth using. The foam is just slightly thicker and provides a slightly different shape sitting on your ear, the sound signature is not changed but depth is a little clearer with the extra foam+distance. Plus, the edges look like they'll be resistant to tearing and becoming unhooked like the stock Koss pads did. I wouldn't put HD414 pads on again, they sounded great but were too big. I really want to try and design some mini-Grado Bowl style pads for PortaPros. they're just such a good cheap headphone,and so many audiophiles i know happily use them straight out of whatever device. great phones overall.

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #665 of 1,312
I got some great pads from my last Lufthansa flight. They collect the headphones, which i didn't use, and leave the pads behind if you don't use them. Pads are new and wrapped in plastic. Thicker and firmer than the stock pads tighter bass.

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #666 of 1,312
Anyone ever sent these in to be repaired? I send them like a month ago and haven't heard anything............

Koss might have a strike against them with how flawless the Px-100 RMA was with Sennheiser.

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #667 of 1,312
  Anyone ever sent these in to be repaired? I send them like a month ago and haven't heard anything............

Koss might have a strike against them with how flawless the Px-100 RMA was with Sennheiser.

I returned a pair.  I can't remember what the turn around time was, but I got a brand new pair back no questions asked.

I want to say it took like 2 or 3 weeks...

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #668 of 1,312
I sent mine in at the end of last year for repair. I eventually got a brand-new pair from them, but I had to email them in January to prod them. I cut them some slack though at the time, because I sent them in right around the holidays. All told I probably ended up waiting something like a month or five weeks.

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #669 of 1,312
Anyone know if the plastic arms are easily removed? I went to put my porta pros in the drawer and somehow one arm got caught and snapped off just below the comfort switch. I managed to glue the arm back together and its holding but it looks ugly. They are the anniversary edition and I quite like the black headband so I was thinking I might buy a regular pair and put the plastic arms on the anniversary headband.

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #670 of 1,312
Anyone know if the plastic arms are easily removed? I went to put my porta pros in the drawer and somehow one arm got caught and snapped off just below the comfort switch. I managed to glue the arm back together and its holding but it looks ugly. They are the anniversary edition and I quite like the black headband so I was thinking I might buy a regular pair and put the plastic arms on the anniversary headband.

Just send them back to Koss to be replaced ... that's one of the best things about the Porta Pros ... Lifetime Warranty ...

Sep 2, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #672 of 1,312

They will fix them even tho i broke them?

Yes.

Just go to their website and get all the info on sending them in.  Send them in and you should get a new pair back in about two weeks.  Many folks have accidentally broken their Porta Pros and Koss will replace them for free (you will have to cover shipping, though).

Sep 5, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #673 of 1,312
Seems it took over a month, but i got them back!!! Wow!!! When they talk about "burn-in" being all in your head, people getting "better" cans and preferring their old ones i think they might be on to something. (Which they then tell you to listen to the new pair for a month without listening to the old ones)

Go a long while without listening to a certain set and it's like listening to them for the first time all over again.

I was for sure on the side of the PX-100s, but now i'm in love with the Porta-Pros again and actually prefer their "detail" and less bassy sound (though i still give them a bass bump in the EQ)
basshead.gif

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #674 of 1,312
Hey people.

I own brainwavz hm5 but looking for something bassy, enjoyable, musical and light/portable. Don't care about sound isolation and that stuff.

Would those do the trick ? I've heard many good thing about those but never owned open on ear headphones. Never had open headphones at all actually

Users who are viewing this thread

Back