Koss Portapro Thread
Mar 4, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #1,291 of 1,312
Haha I have no idea where I threw the coin... The bag's also all tattered up and ditched. I don't like how the new ones have a mic on the cable. Apart from the colour, I don't think there are any audio differences that I know of? They are holding up really well though. Just changed to the yellow Yaxi pads. The fabric protected cables are still good as new.
I use the mic on my headset all the time. Love it.

Jun 29, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #1,292 of 1,312
Not sure if anyone who has MMCX moded their Porta Pro and comment. But I heard someone saying they didn't like the MMXC mod because it adds extra weight to the headphone and can pull it down. And preferred just soldering the replacement wire as it comes stock. Anyone with a MMCX mod might be able to share their experience?

Jul 5, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #1,293 of 1,312
I'm considering seeing what all the fuss is like for myself and buying a pair. Can anyone recommend a good retailer? I'm guessing there are no shortage of knock-offs.

EDIT: Never mind, I see Amazon has them in ancient-computer beige. I don't care if they're knock-offs, I want them.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #1,295 of 1,312
I'm considering seeing what all the fuss is like for myself and buying a pair. Can anyone recommend a good retailer? I'm guessing there are no shortage of knock-offs.

EDIT: Never mind, I see Amazon has them in ancient-computer beige. I don't care if they're knock-offs, I want them.
Get the Porta Pro Headset if you're going to be using it for gaming.
Here

I bought one six months ago and it's been great. Mic quality is really good. I prefer Yaxi pads instead of stock pads.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #1,296 of 1,312
Are the Porta Pros still the best of its kind? As in, essentially 80s-looking headphones, which actually sound great and are well built.

Many years ago I bought one of those, and now for stylistic reasons I'm looking to buy the Drop.com (Massdrop) all-black version. Unless something better was released in the mean time, whether in terms of old-school looks and/or sound. Thanks.
If you are focused on stylistic concerns, Koss now ships porta pro in a bunch of fab color combinations. That said, I have the drop.com version ... it looks great in real life. One thing I have noticed though is that the adjustable "black" metal band is not as smooth to operate as the standard metal band. This is true for both my drop.com porta pros and a Koss "hot red" porta pro headset I have with a "black" metal band.

Aug 12, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #1,297 of 1,312
Not sure if anyone who has MMCX moded their Porta Pro and comment. But I heard someone saying they didn't like the MMXC mod because it adds extra weight to the headphone and can pull it down. And preferred just soldering the replacement wire as it comes stock. Anyone with a MMCX mod might be able to share their experience?
Love my MMCX moded porta drivers (see profile pic) and KSC75 drivers. The mod adds almost no weight. The trick is to get a light cable ... not some beasty braidy thing.

Sep 8, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #1,298 of 1,312
I've used pairs of portapro sparingly since the iPod days......owned the original blue, 25th Anniversary, a white version, and just a few weeks ago I got the new Sony WM1AM2 and just for the purpose of burning in the 3.5mm circuit (have been using the 4.4 all the time) plugged in the 25th Anniversary PP, and found the combo sounded sooooooo badass that I checked their website like the first time in years to see if these things are still made (it's almost 30 years since release ***) and saw the absolutely retro-gorgeous Rhythm Beige version...........................pulled the plunge, got them from Amazon almost 10 days earlier than the ETA, can't be merrier.

Imaging and depth, forget it, the PP had always been about flesh and blood. Full and meaty and (weirdly) kinda balanced in a very nice way. Mid-bass mildly bloated but sounds clean and impactful.

Sep 8, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #1,299 of 1,312
I've used pairs of portapro sparingly since the iPod days......owned the original blue, 25th Anniversary, a white version, and just a few weeks ago I got the new Sony WM1AM2 and just for the purpose of burning in the 3.5mm circuit (have been using the 4.4 all the time) plugged in the 25th Anniversary PP, and found the combo sounded sooooooo badass that I checked their website like the first time in years to see if these things are still made (it's almost 30 years since release ***) and saw the absolutely retro-gorgeous Rhythm Beige version...........................pulled the plunge, got them from Amazon almost 10 days earlier than the ETA, can't be merrier.

Imaging and depth, forget it, the PP had always been about flesh and blood. Full and meaty and (weirdly) kinda balanced in a very nice way. Mid-bass mildly bloated but sounds clean and impactful.
I haven't burned the SE of my DMP lol

Oct 9, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #1,300 of 1,312
I've had my Porta Pro's now for a month or so. I got them after countless recommendations from fellow community members as the budget go-to.

I must admit, I definitely agree! These are just an overall pleasure to listen to. They don't give much in the upper mid to treble region, but I'm ok with that. Yes they are pushed back in vocals, but they are still just a fun listen.

So much fun in fact that I bought 3 more off of Drop. I also just got the KPH40 and the KSC75 so I can do some comparisons. Should be fun!!

For those who want to see my impression of the Porta Pro - I'll drop that here real quick. I'm always down for budget that sounds like not-budget ha!

Nov 6, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #1,301 of 1,312
10 cm pads

Screenshot_20221106_113938_AliExpress.jpg

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOkKiNm

Nov 6, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #1,302 of 1,312
Nov 6, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #1,303 of 1,312
Nov 24, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #1,305 of 1,312

Users who are viewing this thread

Back