KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Sep 8, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #2,971 of 4,052
The Stax amps are pretty reliable, the main things that age are the electrolytic caps, but that is true of any piece of electronics. They should be replaced if you buy an old amp - good advice in general, not just Stax. The tubes are run conservatively, so last for years, and when if you need to replace them, there are instructions on how to bias them on the web. One advantage of the T1 series over the later 006 is that the circuit board actually has a block where you can change the AC voltage, so if you buy an amp from Japan or the EU you can switch it for US voltages, or vice versa. On my T1, if you remove the bottom panel, there is a plastic terminal block on the bottom of the circuit board that allows you to adjust the AC voltage.

Sep 8, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #2,972 of 4,052
I had the ESP950 for a while, using the E90 to drive them for the first few months. I kept thinking that it is missing on dynamics and the pace is lacking, sounds overly smooth. So I upgraded to the SRM-001 MKII, and the sound improved dramatically. The pacing and dynamics improved, extension at both ends (especially the higher notes) came out, making the music much more real.

I later had a good deal on the Stax SR007 and the SRM-007tii, do I plugged the ESP950 into the SRM-007tii. The sound was odd and unnatural. Eventually sold the SRM-007tii and got the KGSS, and I have to say even the KGSS-ESP950 pairing wasn't as good as the SRM-001-ESP950 pairing (KGSS-SR007 pairing was by far the best though).

I guess what I am trying to say is, if you can find the SRM-001 MKII for cheap (say around $300), go for it, you will not regret it.

Sep 10, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #2,973 of 4,052
I had the ESP950 for a while, using the E90 to drive them for the first few months. I kept thinking that it is missing on dynamics and the pace is lacking, sounds overly smooth. So I upgraded to the SRM-001 MKII, and the sound improved dramatically. The pacing and dynamics improved, extension at both ends (especially the higher notes) came out, making the music much more real.

I later had a good deal on the Stax SR007 and the SRM-007tii, do I plugged the ESP950 into the SRM-007tii. The sound was odd and unnatural. Eventually sold the SRM-007tii and got the KGSS, and I have to say even the KGSS-ESP950 pairing wasn't as good as the SRM-001-ESP950 pairing (KGSS-SR007 pairing was by far the best though).

I guess what I am trying to say is, if you can find the SRM-001 MKII for cheap (say around $300), go for it, you will not regret it.

I'm pretty sure you added a couple of zero to the model - otherwise you are referring to the on/in ear monitors! SRM-1 Mk2 would be very lucky to find around $300, I think. Least expensive on eBay now is a little under $500, others quite a bit more. Japanese 323X, SRM-006t, etc., well, more of an investment. I can spring for a voltage step-down, I'd think, under $50 considering the minuscule power draw. I think I'm stuck with the E/90 for now. Willing to accept donations, of course... :wink:

Sep 10, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #2,974 of 4,052
I'm pretty sure you added a couple of zero to the model - otherwise you are referring to the on/in ear monitors! SRM-1 Mk2 would be very lucky to find around $300, I think. Least expensive on eBay now is a little under $500, others quite a bit more. Japanese 323X, SRM-006t, etc., well, more of an investment. I can spring for a voltage step-down, I'd think, under $50 considering the minuscule power draw. I think I'm stuck with the E/90 for now. Willing to accept donations, of course... :wink:
Yes I meant the srm1 mkII. I actually saw one for $300 CAD a few months back which translate to about $240 USD. Sale of a lifetime but I didn't need the amp.

Wait a while,you will see some for $300 $400. $500 is way too much.

Sep 10, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #2,975 of 4,052
So I have been reading up on the Woo Wee transformer. It has 2 stax out puts, and needs at least a 3 watt amp to run it. I have seveeral amps, tube and SS, so the amp is not the problem or the Koss to Stax cable, easy enough to buy. Has any one here tried it with thier ESP-950 headphones? It looks like a rollers dream, different amps, different tubes ect ect ect.

Sep 10, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #2,976 of 4,052
So I have been reading up on the Woo Wee transformer. It has 2 stax out puts, and needs at least a 3 watt amp to run it. I have seveeral amps, tube and SS, so the amp is not the problem or the Koss to Stax cable, easy enough to buy. Has any one here tried it with thier ESP-950 headphones? It looks like a rollers dream, different amps, different tubes ect ect ect.

The only issue that I have with WEE is the price. I'll consider if I can find it under 300.

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #2,977 of 4,052
If you get a Woo WEE, check to make sure that the bias supply has a 4.7 or 5.1 megohm resistor between the last capacitor and the bias terminal on the output jack. There are reports that not all of them have that protection resistor. If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can always put one in yourself if it is missing.

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #2,979 of 4,052
Also, I wonder how hard it is to turn E90 into a transformer box...

The E/90 is an amplifier, there are no transformers inside, so you'd have to buy transformers, rip out the amp while leaving the bias supply in, then install the transformers, while figuring out which transformer leads go to which terminal on the output jack. Might as well just buy a transformer box and adapter cable.

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #2,980 of 4,052
The E/90 is an amplifier, there are no transformers inside, so you'd have to buy transformers, rip out the amp while leaving the bias supply in, then install the transformers, while figuring out which transformer leads go to which terminal on the output jack. Might as well just buy a transformer box and adapter cable.
I see. Sorry for the naive question.

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #2,982 of 4,052
Should the E/90 energizer be left on all the time, or should it only be powered up while listening?

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #2,983 of 4,052
Should the E/90 energizer be left on all the time, or should it only be powered up while listening?
Leave it on when you aren't listening and off when you listen.

I don't think it matters. I turn it off when not using it.

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #2,985 of 4,052

Er...

Friend of mine, has Sherbourne amps, Kappa 1a, other stuff, in high end audio distribution for decades and decades, based on recommendation from the audio engineers he worked with and knew, says your capacitors will be much happier and last longer if you keep the amp on all/most of the time. Shock of the recharge after discharge, something along those lines, is what hurts the capacitors. Called him just now to confirm, make sure I didn't misquote him too badly, said yep. He's the one recommended I leave my E/90 on all the time, and so I do. My Sony ES too, fwiw. Doesn't hurt I have battery backup, and headphones on the same circuit as the NAS, PCs and cable box, and besides power is buried here so only goes blink once every three months or so. So...

Leave it ON!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back